Balloon Loan Small Creditor

Posted By: Nicole

Balloon Loan Small Creditor - 12/10/18 11:58 PM

Please forgive me if this has gone around a couple times. I have been out of the compliance world for a few years and now got back into it and my head is spinning.... In order to do balloon home loans a small creditor must meet the asset size, amount of mortgage loans your originate and must have originated at least one loan in a rural or undeserved area. Correct?

if we don't meet the "rural or underserved" can we originate balloon loans with the ATR requirements? If so you must do a balloon term of 61 months or more and you don't have to consider the balloon payment in the DTI?

thank you all so much!
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Balloon Loan Small Creditor - 12/14/18 09:38 PM

That's correct. They won't be QMs, but you can do ATR-qualifying balloon loans unless your state doesn't permit them,
Posted By: MD

Re: Balloon Loan Small Creditor - 12/21/18 02:48 PM

Can you direct me to where in the regulation it talks about the balloon term of 61 months or more? I am trying to explain this to a lender this morning who tells me they are not in violation of Reg Z. They are doing a balloon loan for 6 months to avoid the customer having to pay intangible taxes. They are supposedly planning to have this sold in 6 months. The lender wants them to pay regular payments though, not interest only. I know (I think) it is in 1026.43 but what section please???
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Balloon Loan Small Creditor - 12/21/18 02:53 PM

1026.43(c)(5)

If you'll check that section out, it basically says that you have to include the largest payment in the first 5 years.