Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins

Posted By: Shondra

Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins - 09/20/16 10:37 PM

We occasionally obtain a title opinion from the title company instead of getting a lender's title policy. Since the title related charges are not a component of issuing title insurance or conducting a closing, should we disclose the fees with the word Title- in front of the fees?
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins - 09/21/16 12:14 PM

I always have as it's our assurance of a clear title to the collateral.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins - 09/21/16 01:26 PM

Yes, but if all you are doing is a title search, it probably belongs in Section B and labeled "Title Search". I don't think it meets the standard of "required for the issuance of title insurance policies to the creditor in connection with the consummation of the transaction or for conducting the closing."
Posted By: Shondra

Re: Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins - 09/21/16 02:55 PM

Randy, that's what I was thinking. We have been disclosing with Title- before the fee but after reading the compliance guide again I don't feel that it's the correct way to disclose.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins - 09/21/16 05:22 PM

Iowa requires an opinion as part of their process of perfecting title and issuing title guaranty.
State law also requires an abstract update.
Both of these items are shown in B with 'Title - ' preceding them.
Especially because you're having a title company do the letter for you, I would definitely follow suit and show it in B as Title - Title Opinion.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins - 09/21/16 05:41 PM

I think the Power's that Be use way too much secondary market terminology and thinking. And always have. whistle Title work is title work, regardless of what form it's in.
Posted By: JoeG

Re: Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins - 09/21/16 05:57 PM

We use "Title - Title search"
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Title Service Fees when not obtaining Title Ins - 09/21/16 06:15 PM

Since this is an issue that actually has little importance, choose your poison and stick with it.

In Texas, a banker can make a loan without a title search or title insurance if they choose. If they choose to just get a title search, it has nothing to do with title insurance or closing the transaction, as they are most likely closing it themselves. Maybe State law has an impact, maybe not. I can only go by what the regulation states, it has to be related to the provision of title insurance or closing.