Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID

Posted By: jdavis

Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 01/10/17 04:34 PM

I can hear the bell ringing but I don't know what church it is... I remember hearing at one seminar that steering customer toward other product or structuring the transaction so it’s not subject to TRID is a violation. I can’t find anything in the final Rule.
Anybody?
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 01/10/17 05:01 PM

§1026.34(b) discusses the evasion of high-cost mortgage requirements and how that works, but I don't know that you'll find anything that definitively talks about evading TRID rules.

How would you evade TRID rules with a consumer loan secured by dirt? You're either removing the dirt collateral (which isn't evasion) or you are making a stretch about the loan being non-consumer purpose.

Need more details.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 01/10/17 05:03 PM

How would you evade TRID rules with a consumer loan secured by dirt? You're either removing the dirt collateral (which isn't evasion) or you are making a stretch about the loan being non-consumer purpose.

Or structuring it as open-end credit knowing full well additional advances are not contemplated.
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 01/10/17 05:11 PM

Point for Dan. Forgot about the HELOC part.
Posted By: jdavis

Re: Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 01/17/17 01:11 PM

Example: borrower would like to build a second home (vacation home) and wants to use his commercial building as collateral. Loan officer would like to structure the loan as commercial line of credit. It's not going to be subject to TRID since it's an open end loan, but the consumer purpose remains (construction of a second home).
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 01/17/17 04:52 PM

The loan officer doesn't get to 'structure' a consumer loan as a commercial loan when it clearly isn't.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 01/17/17 06:15 PM

Loan officer would like to structure the loan as commercial line of credit.

Based on what rationale? Collateral does not dictate the loan's purpose.

The loan's purpose is consumer, no ifs, ands or buts.
Posted By: scb2011

Re: Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 06/18/19 07:29 PM

I have this question as well, is there an evasion rule on TRID loans. The situation is using a HELOC which is a 10 year interest monthly, balance at maturity loan product to purchase the home instead of a closed end product. Is that considered evasion?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Structuring a loan to avoid issuance of TRID - 06/18/19 07:42 PM

If you contemplate the fact that they will actually pay down and redraw on the line, no. If you don't, then yes.