Take One HMDA Disclosures

Posted By: bOaty

Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 06:47 PM

Can everyone please weigh in on how your handling the disclosure notice that must be handed to the people who ask about getting a copy of the HMDA data?

I can't imagine having a stack of notices ready to be given out should someone happen to ask. Then again, I can't imagine that anyone will know what to do should someone ask for it.

Looking for options and ideas.
Posted By: #12

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 08:27 PM

I'm pretty sure a "Take One" notice is not required...there was a thread on this not too long ago.

https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2131449/hmda-notice#Post2131449
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 09:03 PM

The Notice should replace your HMDA lobby signage.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 09:17 PM

But is says on page 91 of the SEG, in the second paragraph that if someone requests your modified LAR you must give them, in either paper or electronic form, a copy of the notice. It can be the same verbiage as the sample language on the posted but it does clearly state it must be made available in paper or electronic form. I do not think that pointing at the lobby sign fulfills this requirement.

What are we all missing here?

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 09:18 PM

Or what am I missing?

Either way. smile
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 09:25 PM

says on page 91 of the SEG
Can you give a link? I don't know what a SEG is. I'm not familiar with this "requirement".

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 09:29 PM

Hi David,

I mean the Small Entity Guide

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.consumerf...iance-guide.pdf

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 10:04 PM

I wonder if just posting it on your bank's website would be sufficient. It would be an electronic notice.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 10:32 PM

I'm not sure. I suppose if the request was made electronically you could email them an electronic copy or a link to the website. But in person I'm not sure if this would fly. They don't give any other details.

Of course we'll spend all of this time trying to figure out what to do for this requirement and no one will ever ask anyway. crazy
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 10:52 PM

You must have your poster, but if someone comes in with a request, you also must give them a written notice so that they leave with something that has instructions on it.

From the discussion in the final rule published in 2015:

Two industry commenters suggested that, because disclosure statements are available on the FFIEC Web site, requiring financial institutions to provide members of the public seeking HMDA data with the notice under proposed § 1003.5(b)(2) was unnecessary and duplicative. One of these commenters suggested that, as an alternative to the notice required under proposed § 1003.5(b)(2), the Bureau should revise the posted lobby notice required pursuant to § 1003.5(e) to include text referring members of the public to the FFIEC Web site to obtain the institution's HMDA data. Although the final rule relieves financial institutions of the obligation to provide the disclosure statement directly to the public, the Bureau has determined that provision of the notice required under § 1003.5(b)(2) to a member of the public seeking a financial institution's disclosure statement is necessary to ensure that she is clearly informed of where to obtain it. Currently, a member of the public seeking a disclosure statement from a financial institution would leave the institution with the data in hand. As amended, § 1003.5(b)(2) requires that the individual take an additional step to obtain the data—visit the Bureau's Web site—but provides that she leaves the institution with the specific information needed to do so.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 11:22 PM

Thanks, Kathleen.

So back to the original post. I'm looking to see what others are planning on doing to meet this requirement.

Discuss.

Thanks!!
Posted By: JC (Darth HMDA)

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 11:39 PM

I wish we could say "Please google CFPB & HMDA" hahaha smile
Posted By: Reg Warrior

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/29/17 11:54 PM

Ask the member to pull out there phone and take a selfie with the post.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 02:35 AM

I would take the nontech simple route. give a piece of paper with the web link. I read the statement above that I am to give her something so she does not walk away empty handed. Have some postcards printed. Have pull offs like at the laundromat. Something they can carry home.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 12:17 PM

Don't forget that the requirement covers several years and the data will be available online beginning one year at a time, so for several years, you will have the old method and the new method combined, until the new method has been around long enough for all required data to be available online.

You can amend the language on the poster and say years xxxxx, available here, years xxxx, available online.

The poster is suggested, not mandatory language and I did ask the CFPB about this.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 01:29 PM

You could also have a policy of obtain the requestor's email address and sending them the notice with live link electronically. That would prevent having those little pieces of paper lying around unused. OR have it in a work document stored on your bank's shared drive where all employees could access it and have them print it out when the customer makes this request.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 02:39 PM

I like having things on a shared drive for printing as needed, just like the public file for those who have made that switch. My take is that the Bureau wants the person to have something in their hand, just like they would have had a file under the current rule.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 03:32 PM

That is our plan - shared drive accessible for printing if requested. Keep in mind, everyone, that if someone comes in asking for your HMDA data, you can be pretty sure they are already operating from a premise that doesn't have YOUR best interests in mind. And you can be pretty sure they are going to have been well-coached on what the institution is required to provide when they ask, so if you don't provide it you're just adding fuel to the fire.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 03:37 PM

Agree Beech. I cannot imagine a circumstance where the average consumer will ask to take the disclosure. Likely the disclosure will be requested by a group looking for trouble or an individual posing as a potential customer. Training the LO's will be extremely important!!
Posted By: MScarn6942

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By Kathleen B
I like having things on a shared drive for printing as needed, just like the public file for those who have made that switch.

Does that mean we can keep our public file electronically and just print it when someone requests it??
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 03:41 PM

That was going to be my suggestion. Surely you already have P&P's out there....just include this as well.

OR have it in a work document stored on your bank's shared drive where all employees could access it and have them print it out when the customer makes this request.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 03:46 PM

I have never printed our public file.
If someone were to ever ask, I'd print it at that time, but no one has ever walked in and requested it.
As for those annual 'please send us your LAR' requests from various public service groups, we've always replied with a request to cover printing costs and never heard back.
From Kathleen's post above "My take is that the Bureau wants the person to have something in their hand, just like they would have had a file under the current rule."
I take that to mean we can continue our status quo.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 03:52 PM

TR, we're talking about the notice which would contain the instructions on how to obtain the LAR. Not the LAR, itself.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 03:56 PM

TR, the LAR will be available on the CFPB website and the process and poster (and notice to walk ins) is changing. Going forward, if you receive an email from someone asking for your LAR, you can direct them to the Bureau's site, for years that are posted there which will not be the prior years.

Bear in mind, everyone who asks for LARs will be well aware of this change.

Also bear in mind that the plan is to make the LAR available by April of each year, not September.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 03:59 PM

TR, also if you choose to provide you can charge for costs, but who would both to do that for the years under the new rule when you can just direct them to the CFPB website?
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 04:07 PM

I understand the difference. I was trying to respond to MS' query about the public file.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 04:17 PM

I always encourage electronic public files and had one myself as far back as the late 1990s. It saves a ton of money and time (which is money) and eliminates the possibility of a branch having an out of date file not matter how hard you try to avoid that problem.

Just keep one full public file and you are done. Everything is available immediately so you meet all requirements. I did have an auditor once tell a client they were not in compliance because the rule said for the requested info to be available "within x days" - so I replied "How can 'now' not be within x days?". End of that critique.

It is a much more efficient method.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 04:18 PM

I was responding to your "status quo" comment. That would be more work than you have to do.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 04:28 PM

Hopefully, all those special interest groups that request it will just go to the website and get it once they know they are out there. I see requests going away unless you just get a customer who wants to know. I will have to say, I've NEVER had a customer request our HMDA LAR.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 04:33 PM

I agree, Walden. The groups and large banks that use that data and make the annual requests know the process is changing. And if they do not, they will find out quickly.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 05:14 PM

So let me ask about the "electronic" option. Clearly, the CFPB gives you the option of providing the notice to the public in either paper or electronic format. That is stated in the Official Interpretation comment 5(c)-1. What's not so clear, though, is1005.5(c)(1) requires this notice to be "written". Given that, would that mean that in order to provide the notice electronically to a consumer, the consumer is first going to have to opt-in through the bank's E-SIGN demonstrable consent process?

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 05:31 PM

I am getting confused about what everyone is thinking. Right now we have a HMDA notice (poster).

Current language of notice/poster:

"Notice of availability.

A financial institution shall post a general notice about the availability of its HMDA data in the lobby of its home office and of each branch office located in an MSA and Metropolitan Division. An institution shall provide promptly upon request the location of the institution's offices where the statement is available for inspection and copying, or it may include the location in the lobby notice.

OFFICIAL INTERPRETATION TO 5(e)

5(e) Notice of availability.

Poster—suggested text.

An institution may use any text that meets the requirements of the regulation. Some of the Federal agencies that receive HMDA data provide HMDA posters that an institution can use to inform the public of the availability of its HMDA data, or the institution may create its own posters. If an institution prints its own, the following language is suggested but is not required:

Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Notice

The HMDA data about our residential mortgage lending are available for review. The data show geographic distribution of loans and applications; ethnicity, race, sex, and income of applicants and borrowers; and information about loan approvals and denials. Inquire at this office regarding the locations where HMDA data may be inspected.

Additional language for institutions making the disclosure statement available on request. An institution that posts a notice informing the public of the address to which a request should be sent could include the following sentence, for example, in its general notice: “To receive a copy of these data send a written request to [address]."

Under the revised rule we will have a new notice/poster hanging in branches, etc.:

Posted notice of availability of data.

A financial institution shall post a general notice about the availability of its HMDA data in the lobby of its home office and of each branch office physically located in each MSA and each MD. This notice must clearly convey that the institution's HMDA data is available on the Bureau's Web site at www.consumerfinance.gov/hmda.

OFFICIAL INTERPRETATION TO 5(e)

5(e) Posted Notice of Availability of Data

POSTED NOTICE—SUGGESTED TEXT.

A financial institution may post any text that meets the requirements of § 1003.5(e). The Bureau or other appropriate Federal agency for a financial institution may provide a notice that the institution can post to inform the public of the availability of its HMDA data, or an institution may create its own notice. The following language is suggested but is not required:

Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Notice

The HMDA data about our residential mortgage lending are available online for review. The data show geographic distribution of loans and applications; ethnicity, race, sex, age, and income of applicants and borrowers; and information about loan approvals and denials. HMDA data for many other financial institutions are also available online. For more information, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's Web site (www.consumerfinance.gov/hmda)."

When someone comes in asking for a LAR created under the new rule, you should be giving them a document that tells them to go to the CFPB website to see the LAR and HMDA disclosure statement.

Where are people envisioning giving a walk in person an electronic notice? The comment in the discussion section of the rule is talking about someone who comes in to a branch. You have your poster on the wall (old and new rule). You are not giving them the same language as the poster, you just have to give them something that says "Get our HMDA data at this website:xxxxx".

Am I totally misunderstanding what people are confused about? The poster is still required but with new language. What to give someone who asks is changings....and you do not give them the language of the poster. Also, it is "suggested language" not required language.

And don't forget that there is a transition period where you need an old poster for prior data and a new poster for data that will be available on the CFPB website. Ultimately as time passes, all will be on the CFPB website.
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 05:34 PM

KB.....how long will the overlap be...IOW, how long will we need both an old and new poster?

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 05:41 PM

Well, the current rule says:

Availability of data.
A financial institution shall make its modified register available to the public for a period of three years and its disclosure statement available for a period of five years.

So, unless the CFPB goes back and makes everything available on its website (which was not the scenario when I asked about this) you will have years of data still subject to disclosure under old rules. Two years of the LAR and 4 of the disclosure statement.

You CAN modify the poster and say something like "the LAR and disclosure statement for years prior to 2018 are available here. the LAR and disclosure for 2018 and beyond are available at "www.cfpb.gov" (whatever part of the site the info will be at.

Ultimately, all 3 years of the LAR and all 5 years of the disclosure statement will be online.

If they make it all available online day one, great, no transition.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 05:46 PM

Thanks.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:13 PM

KB, the sample WK gives can be seen at the following link. the tear-off is an exact duplicate of the notice and includes the location to get the goods:

http://www.wolterskluwerfs.com/CorporateCampaignMenu.aspx?pageid=6442455231&id=10737428078

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:15 PM

Well, I wouldn't use it! You do not have to "give out the notice".

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:15 PM

It is not even required language for the notice itself.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:29 PM

I'm a bit confused now......if someone walked up in March 2018, looks at our poster, and says "i want your HMDA data"....then we DO have to produce a page with the HMDA notice information on it....correct?

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:34 PM

Or maybe i should say March 2019....

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:37 PM

Unless they make the 2017 data available electronically, it is under the current rule.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:38 PM

Ok....let me rephrase....someone walks in the bank in March 2022, sees our poster and says they want our HMDA data for 2021....we have to give them a piece of paper with the HMDA notice information on it...right? (I shouldn't have used 2018 in my example.)

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:45 PM

It just has to tell them how to obtain the information, tell them the website. But yes, you have to give them something since they made the effort to come in, they need to walk away with "something" in their hands.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 06:49 PM

Ok...thanks. smile

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/30/17 11:26 PM

I was under the assumption that the 2017 will be available at the CFPB website since we are submitting the data to them.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/31/17 02:33 PM

Except the 2017 HMDA rule and disclosure re 2017 data was not changed. It changes for 2018 data.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/31/17 04:24 PM

I certainly didn't catch this in the new rules. Thanks for the clarification.

The "risk taker" side of me says not to worry about having a "take-one" notice. If you've never had a customer ask for your data (which most banks will tell you), you don't need to have a notice to give. If you're conservative, have 1 or 2 notices available to carry out of the lobby, but it will probably only be something you show examiners - IF they figure this out.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 08/31/17 09:27 PM

Per the small entity guide:

Page 90 section 6.3.1 Disclosure Statement, the second sentence says "The changes apply to data collected in 2017 and later years."

Page 90 section 6.3.2. Modified LAR, the second sentence also reads "The new requirements apply to data collected in 2017 and later years."

So, my assumption is that when we post the notice 1/1/18 and someone comes in on May 1st asking for our data we will be able to refer them to the CFPB website and our data will be there.

Did I miss something?

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 09/01/17 04:12 PM

I agree bOaty. I don't think you need two lobby posters. The new rules trump the old rules. In the Oct 2015 final rule, there were requirements for only 2017 and other requirements for 2018. The lobby notice requirements in 1003.5 don't say we need to continue to inform customers about the old data. Yes, we need to retain things for 3 & 5 years and make them available, if requested, but I don't believe you need to keep up the previous lobby notices.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 09/01/17 05:46 PM

It looks like it would be safe to say then, that non-HMDA reporting banks do not need a notice at all, correct?

We have the pre-2015 rule notice in our lobbies only because we have filed HMDA data for banks we have acquired for loans/applications for the acquired bank for the year of the acquisition up to legal close. The last filing we had to do was for 2013 data so it sounds like we can simply remove the current notice at the end of this year and be done with it.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 09/01/17 05:58 PM

Don't be braggin'!!

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 09/01/17 08:58 PM

I agree you can remove the poster GuitarDude.
Posted By: Bec

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 10/05/17 08:20 PM

We have to make all new signs due to an acquisition and I want to avoid having to remake them in 2018 for the new HMDA rules, what if I put something like this?
HOME MORTGAGE DISCLOSURE ACT NOTICE
Beginning in March of 2019
The HMDA data about our residential mortgage lending are available online for review. The data show geographic distribution of loans and applications; ethnicity, race, sex, age, and income of applicants and borrowers; and information about loan approvals and denials. These data are available online at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website (www.consumerfinance.gov/hmda). HMDA data for many other financial institutions are also available at this website.
Prior to March of 2019
The HMDA data about our residential mortgage lending are available for review. To receive a copy of the date please send a written request to
Bankers Banking Bank
Compliance Officer
Anystreet
Anytown 55555

Would that suffice?

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 10/05/17 10:21 PM

Bumpo

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 10/06/17 06:32 PM

bump
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 10/09/17 12:59 PM

I do not intend to alter the wording since all data is currently available on-line. I was able to retrieve our data back to 2007.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 10/09/17 02:00 PM

So you are just disclosing the new language?
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 10/09/17 02:08 PM

Correct.

Re: Take One HMDA Disclosures - 10/09/17 06:08 PM

Thank you Dan!!!