Notary Commission Number on Documents

Posted By: Newbie06

Notary Commission Number on Documents - 07/30/18 08:12 PM

Being that I did not hear any talk about this topic I wanted to hear what other Indiana banks were doing with regards to a notaries commission number (effective July 1st 2018).

The information I received was that any time a document is notarized that individual now needs to indicate their commission number. Being that we have a number of loan documents that get notarized we questioned if our LOS was going to add a field for us to put this number so that we are not typing the number on after the documents are printed. The LOS didn't know anything about this new rule nor had they received any requests for this to be added in a new software update.

Therefore, can this information be confirmed and what is your lending department doing to comply with this requirement?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Notary Commission Number on Documents - 07/30/18 08:54 PM

I am probably not the best person, but I haven't seen anything new either. Their commission number is already a part of their official notary seal. I am not sure why it would need to be duplicated.

Re: Notary Commission Number on Documents - 07/30/18 08:56 PM

Prior to July 1st we had only been required to list the expiration date of the notary.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Notary Commission Number on Documents - 07/30/18 09:26 PM

Indiana Code Title 33. Courts and Court Officers § 33-42-10-2

<Section effective July 1, 2018.>

Sec. 2 . (a) The official seal of a notary public must include the following:

(1) The words “notary public”.

(2) The words “state of Indiana”.

(3) The word “seal”.

(4) The name of the notary public exactly as it appears on the notary public's commission certificate.

(5) The words “commission number” followed by the commission number of the notary public.

(6) The words “my commission expires” followed by the expiration date of the notary public's commission.

(b) The seal described in subsection (a) must be capable of being copied together with the record to which it is affixed, attached, or associated.

(c) The seal described in subsection (a) may include any other information chosen by the notary public to be included on the seal.

Re: Notary Commission Number on Documents - 07/30/18 09:40 PM

rlcarey, thanks for the siting. I never can navigate the Indiana Code.