Opening Account with Grandma

Posted By: Newbie06

Opening Account with Grandma - 08/23/22 08:51 PM

We have a customer (grandmother) who wants to open up a checking account with her 16 year old grandson. The grandmother does not have legal custody over the grandson. Does this matter? An UTMA account is not what we are wanting to open because the grandson can sign for himself.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Opening Account with Grandma - 08/23/22 08:58 PM

https://law.justia.com/codes/indiana/2021/title-28/article-1/chapter-20/section-28-1-20-5/

Re: Opening Account with Grandma - 08/24/22 01:28 PM

rlcarey, thanks for the link that you posted. I am a bit confused, despite the link indicating that anyone can be a depositor regardless of age, as I am more concerned about whether it's ok that the minor is opening an account with someone that does not have legal custody over the minor.

I feel it would be ok but can't find guidance and this is not how we have handled this type of situation in the past.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Opening Account with Grandma - 08/24/22 01:31 PM

Well, family law and banking law are really two different animals and you might need to be talking to your legal counsel as to any pitfalls.

Re: Opening Account with Grandma - 08/24/22 01:49 PM

Yes, family law can be a bit tricky. New accounts will look into this further.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Opening Account with Grandma - 08/24/22 02:57 PM

Under the IN statute the minor can open an account by themselves if the financial institution is willing to accept the risk.

Any other concern, such as opening the account with grandma, should be discussed with your legal counsel.

Re: Opening Account with Grandma - 08/24/22 04:46 PM

Dan, thanks for your response as well.