Weather

Posted By: Bagweaver

Weather - 03/16/09 04:42 PM

My throat is scratchy, and I'm losing my voice. My head hurts; my eyes are itchy; my sinuses feel as if they're on fire.

Pollen is NOT my friend! cry
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Weather - 03/16/09 05:33 PM

I did't recognize my truck the other day. It went from dark red to yellow quite suddenly!

Thankfully, I don't have as much trouble as some with pollen (knocks on wood). It's got to be a real pain. You hope for rain to knock it down, but then the rain just helps more to be produced...such as catch 22!

Re: Weather - 03/27/09 03:42 PM

Everybody OK in South GA? We hear that a tornado(s) touched down near Bainbridge and Camilla. It's heading east. Watch out Moultrie and Valdosta!
Posted By: BrendaC

Re: Weather - 03/27/09 04:25 PM

It looks like all of us in the South are in for a rough ride for the next two days! And what about the folks west of us...30 inches of snow?? I can't even imagine. Stay safe everyone!!

Re: Weather - 03/27/09 05:23 PM

It's hammering out there now, but last I looked the worst line appeared to be weakening. I haven't heard any problems from our Bainbridge branches. Earlier the entire line from below the FL/GA line and up through Moultrie were showing active warnings, then just a couple counties in N. Fl...now there is a STW skiring the line heading towards Madison (closer to home than work), but I believe the worst will stay a bit south of us.

SPRING has SPRUNG!

Re: Weather - 03/27/09 07:07 PM

My son and his family are leaving Macon in the morning to go to Tampa for a few days. I really hate to see them travel I-75 in this kins of weather. Maybe if they start early enough they'll miss the worst.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Weather - 03/30/09 11:49 AM

It was bad here. We got at least 5 inches of rain. The okapilco river flooded its banks and there were a number of streets closed because of that - a number of businesses flooded that I could see. Indian Lake flooded the neighborhood and folks had to be evacuated. The lightening was bad - the lightening siren was going off a the football stadium last Friday - pretty much all day. Lightening struck a few trees in my neighborhood. There was high wind - my patio table and umbrella are toast - but that is easily replaced. NO that blasted dead broken limb did NOT fall out of my tree. Just how strong is Virginia Creeper?!

Re: Weather - 03/30/09 02:25 PM

I wasn in Colquitt county and we got over 7" and a good portion of Norman Park was evacuated due to the creeks rising. I saw several houses surrounded by water. The wind was unreal. The lightening didn't last too long, but the strangest thing was...the storm (Saturday) was moving through and about the time it moved through, it changed direction and BACKED UP! How weird is that! It's been a LONG time since I've seen that much rain. I only got a little under 2" at my house. Just about the RIGHT amount.

Re: Weather - 03/30/09 03:04 PM

At my house I got whatever WALB-TV got since I'm only a couple of blocks away. I never did hear a final total for Saturday at the station.

My mother (83 years old) lives in Sylvester and they got over 8.5 inches by mid-afternoon. She was at the church working with a yard sale (that they moved indoors). When she left the church some time after 4:00 on her way home, she had to back up to avoid a flooded street.

Re: Weather - 03/31/09 12:08 PM

Well, we need to pull out our hip boots - WALB tells us to expect another 6 - 10 inches of rain between now and Thursday! Flash flood warnings everywhere in SW GA.

Re: Weather - 03/31/09 12:41 PM

Stuff like this always makes my 40 mile, one way commute exciting! cry

Re: Weather - 03/31/09 12:57 PM

The Withlacoochee is expected to reach flood stage by tomorrow, just based on the weekend rains...this could be interesting. It's been a lot of years since we've had water this high. When I used to live on the river, it was a regular occurence...Can't tell you how many times my ex and I have had to chase boats down river and drag them back home because they escaped during the night.. wink

Well, let's hope we don't get anything too severe..my nerves can't take it! Have I ever mentioned I HATE BAD WEATHER!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Weather - 03/31/09 01:03 PM

Sounds like you guys are having it rough. We've had some rain here <South Central Kentucky>, but not as bad as you have received in Georgia.

Bagweaver - one of my co-workers here grows gourds. I thought instantly of you.

Re: Weather - 03/31/09 03:11 PM

Tell your coworker that she needs to go to the Cherokee Gourd Gathering (you can Google it) if she hasn't been. That's coming up at the end of May/first of June. Tell her to look for us if she goes. If she's interested, PM me and I'll give you my personal email.

Re: Weather - 04/01/09 12:29 PM

Everyone managing to keep their head above water? Schools are closed here - too many roads impassable.

Re: Weather - 04/01/09 01:34 PM

I have to cross the Flint River in Albany in my commute to work. This morning it was really high. I just don't want to leave Albany tomorrow to come to work if we're going to get a lot more rain.

Re: Weather - 04/01/09 02:14 PM

We got 3.5 overnight, but it soaked in well because we aren't saturated quite yet. Much more and we will be tho. Some of the river roads either are or are expected to be underwater at some point. Sure would make for nice sleeping weather right now!

Re: Weather - 04/01/09 02:43 PM

The home of one of my employees is completely flooded. They're over there now trying to salvage what they can. They weren't in a special flood hazard area so they don't have flood insurance. Hoping FEMA revisits some of our maps after this.

Re: Weather - 04/01/09 07:23 PM

That's awful to hear waldensouth...what a hopeless feeling, I mean really...what do you do? Flood is so damaging and homeowner's won't likely touch it.

Re: Weather - 04/01/09 08:53 PM

We've been on the phone all day trying to find help for her family. The Red Cross it paying for their hotel room this week. A friend of another employee has a mobile home that her dad used to live in that is vacant. They will be able to live there rent free until something can be worked out with their flooded home. I've put them in contact with GEMA - but I'm not very familiar with the extent of state assistance in these instances. If this were a federal disaster area she could get FEMA emergency funds.

Re: Weather - 04/01/09 10:03 PM

That is terrible. I can't even imagine. How fortunate that they have an option for housing until something more permanent can be done. I know all of the government housing in our area is maxed out with 2 year waiting lists.

We're in for even more rain and tornadoes this week in AL that I am sure will be headed your way. By the time Spring is over, you might be in a federal disaster area.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: Weather - 04/02/09 12:32 PM

Sorry to read about the bad weather in Georgia...guess I got out in time. I know my family in Alabama has been okay through the tornadoes and floods there...no damage to their homes at this point although plenty of damage in their area.

Re: Weather - 04/02/09 01:53 PM

You guys hang on today. It looks <on the weather map> like you're getting pounded again.

Re: Weather - 04/02/09 02:14 PM

The bank let me telecommute today, thank goodness!

I started watching the radar at 5:00 this morning and its been nothing except downhill since then.

Everybody stay safe!
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Weather - 04/02/09 04:04 PM

I'm in the office, but it took me an extra 20 minutes to get here because the bridge on the most direct route was closed. There's still water falling from the sky, so we'll see whether or not I can get home this afternoon. I guess having 4 wheel drive will be useful for a change!
Posted By: ktac MITCH

Re: Weather - 04/02/09 04:34 PM

I wish we could spread out this moisture & send some to the drought areas where it is needed, our last significant accumulation of moisture was in October. . . . Here in our part of the US, it is just the typical - - WINDY SPRING - -
Blew over a light pole at one branch location yesterday & it fell on a loan officer pick up shocked
And it has been blowing 40 - 60 mph since about 4a.m.

Re: Weather - 04/02/09 06:00 PM

I've been looking at the weather map. How are you guys holding up? Haven't seen Waldensouth or Joker today. I'm getting concerned.

Re: Weather - 04/02/09 06:26 PM

I'm here, but I was late...had a transformer blow in the yard about 3:15 am. I finally gave up and left and got here around 9 or earlier, I think...anyway, I poured out 5" of rain in the guage early this morning and had already poured out 2.5. The power (transformer replaced)is back on at home (for now), the horses are still standing, but the pasture and yard are under water, according to the kid. He said I won't be able to make it all the way in this evening most likely.

I asked him to check and pour out the guage again...I bet it's full or nearly so. What about that saying, when it rains it pours?...that's a true quote right now. Haven't seen this much rain since those back-to-back hurricanes a few years back. And I am NOT looking forward to tonight.

Re: Weather - 04/03/09 12:33 PM

I came to work about 2 hours yesterday. School has been out since Wednesday and still isn't back in session today. The weather was so bad yesterday that kid wonder was afraid to stay by herself and we had eye dr appointments yesterday morning. Lots of flooding in the area with more expected. We have another front moving in sunday night so its supposed to rain Sun and Monday. We should have 2 clear days. My yard was a lake and I don't live anywhere near water! It just couldn't sink into the ground as fast as it was being dumped. Got about 2 feet from the front steps before the rain finally stopped. Kid wonder took some trash out to the can in the rear of our lot and sank in water and mud up to her knees! the frogs and ducks apparently love this!

Re: Weather - 04/03/09 12:45 PM

Glad to hear you're OK WS. Jones County <where I lived> closed their schools today, too.

Hope everyone else is above water also.

Re: Weather - 04/03/09 05:48 PM

I glanced at the weather map before I left work last night and couldn't believe all the areas of red on the radar in South GA, and the FL panhandle. I don't think I've ever seen that much red! You guys were pounded. Started that Ark yet?

Re: Weather - 04/04/09 12:49 PM

I called in yesterday and took a vacation day because I didn't know if any of my 40 mile commute would be detours or not. As it turned out, the four lane that I take had flooding in one place. I am so glad that I decided not to go in!

Yesterday was just beautiful.

Re: Weather - 04/07/09 01:41 PM

all I can say today is....BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Re: Weather - 04/07/09 01:56 PM

Better than splash, splash though!

Re: Weather - 04/07/09 02:20 PM

yeah, but if it gets much colder...we'll go from splash, splash, to crunch, crunch! wink

Re: Weather - 04/07/09 02:52 PM

Could be! I just planted my tomatoes last weekend - AAARRRGGG!!!

Re: Weather - 04/07/09 03:11 PM

My granddaddy told me never to plant my garden before Easter for this very reason - there's always one last freeze before Easter. No rain is good for now unfortunately the rivers are still rising. When I came home thru Valdosta Sunday, I noticed that the "Little River" had flooded part of HWY 133. It hadn't done that when I left that way Friday. Is everyone else drying out? Our huge puddles are gone, but the ground is still very, very wet.

Re: Weather - 04/07/09 04:59 PM

wE'RE still pretty darn wet with standing water, but receding. There are still alot or road closures...I honestly don't remember some of the roads that closed EVER closing before, and I've seen some awfully high water over the years here.

Re: Weather - 04/07/09 05:45 PM

I understand that GEMA is supposed to come down this week to assess the damage. They tried last week, but couldn't get to where they needed to because of the flooding and road damage.

There are some areas in southern Dougherty County and northern Mitchell County that look like the rain stopped just last night there's still so much standing water. A campground is almost completely flooded. Houses were surrounded this time that I've not seen with that much water before.

Let the sunshine in!

Re: Weather - 04/13/09 06:06 PM

Good grief! Enough of the storms already!!! cry mad

The church across the street from my brother was hit. Don't know if there's damage to my brother's house or not.

The tornado sirens just sounded a few minutes ago. I hope the first person in line at the vault door remembers the combination to the day gate if we have to get in there in a hurry!

Everybody OK so far?

Re: Weather - 04/13/09 07:04 PM

It's just now getting here, strangely coinciding with the arrival of the examiners. smirk

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 12:30 PM

Okay - walden pond has reappeared in my front yard! Well, at least our drought is over! Everyone else okay?

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 12:34 PM

1/3 of pasture underwater...again. A river runneth around the barn (always better than thru it! wink ) Flower bed WAS underwater, but it's mostly drained by this am. Forgot to check the rain guage, but the way those storms were trailing, I have a feeling it runneth over.

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 02:31 PM

We've been without power for two days and based on yesterday's update from the power company, it may be the end of the week before we get power back. Sure wish I hadn't bought those groceries Saturday. Cook-out tonight at my house!

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 02:36 PM

I'm tired of bad hair days due to weather!!! mad cry

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 02:58 PM

Need a generator?

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 03:42 PM

We've thought about getting a generator, but we've never lost our power for more than 2 days. Even during hurricanes like Ivan, we were only without power for a few hours. Apparently several trees downed lines somewhere in a wooded area and they are going to have to CUT A ROAD to get to the lines.

Hopefully, my daughter will get her power back today and we can save at least some of our frozen items. It may be too late. How long can items last in an upright freezer? I know a chest freezer is good for about 3 days, but not an upright. I haven't wanted to open it to check. I guess I will tonight (check or just start discarding).
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 03:57 PM

If you don't open it and it is mostly full, it should last 2-3 days. You might be able to extend that time by partially or fully filling the refrigerator compartment with block ice. (Hurricane Ike experience).

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 05:49 PM

Upright freezer...for whatever reason NOT LONG! Mine has an alarm on it.

Apparently Brenda, your power company does not keep their power lines cleaned out? weird and somewhat dangerous!

Are you in Lower, Middle or Upper Bama??

Re: Weather - 04/14/09 05:55 PM

Just north of Birmingham.

I just heard from my Mom and she now has power and some room in her freezer. Guess I'll be leaving a little early today to move my food to her house (if it is still frozen). Power went out at 1:30 am Monday morning. Hmmm....

Re: Weather - 04/15/09 05:37 PM

Well? did you manage to salvage anything? I'm hoping so!

Re: Weather - 04/15/09 05:54 PM

We are alternating a power cord from my neighbor's house between our freezer and refrigerator. I know I'll have to discard softened ice cream and a few other things. I'm not sure about the frozen dinners and hamburger meat. Items on the top shelf were thawing but still cold. I could leave imprint on hamburger meat. Should I discard or cook soon? (If I EVER get power again.)

By the way, it was COLD last night!

Re: Weather - 04/16/09 12:52 PM

I wouldn't take chances with meat. Groceries are typically cheaper than hospital bills, and food poisoning is NOT fun.

Re: Weather - 04/16/09 01:42 PM

We finally got our power restored last night. I'm so glad because the temperature dropped into the upper 30's. Of course, with the lights on I can now see my dirty house. I guess I know what I will be doing this weekend.