Security Officer

Posted By: J2C

Security Officer - 12/01/07 03:29 PM

We are a small bank with one security officer. She just gave her notice. How long do we have from the time she terminates her employment to appoint a new security officer?
Posted By: LoisLane

Re: Security Officer - 12/03/07 02:59 PM

Ideally you should appoint one immediately, but if this isn't possible, someone should be selected to at least fill the duties temporarily.
Posted By: LoisLane

Re: Security Officer - 12/03/07 03:00 PM

I should have added that you should watch out because you are probably the likely choice.
Posted By: J2C

Re: Security Officer - 12/03/07 04:15 PM

Is there any guidance that gives a time frame? Unfortunately I have a feeling it will be put off until it is necessary unless there is something concrete.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Security Officer - 12/03/07 04:54 PM

I don't know that you will find it in black and white anywhere. About 8 years ago I saw our SO walking out the back door with his stuff in a box and was appointed (interim pending board approval) within 15 minutes. The approval by the board took place at the next board meeting which was less than a month later.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: Security Officer - 12/03/07 05:21 PM

The requirement is that you have a security officer; that implies that you will not be in a position that you do not have one. Someone should at a minimum be charged with fulfilling the duties until the official appointment occurs, which should be at the earliest opportunity.
Posted By: Pup

Re: Security Officer - 12/03/07 05:46 PM

So.....where should I send my resume??

I wasn't sure about requirements, but my thoughts are being echoed by the above posters. Don't take your time on this and, as Lois implied, be prepared to be the interim while your bank completes its search.
Posted By: Dana Turner

Re: Security Officer - 01/06/08 12:57 PM

Folks,

Examiners have told me repeatedly that -- logical interpretation of the Bank Protection Act here -- a Security Officer must be appointed and available for consultation. If your Security Officer is on vacation, at school, suspended or fired, you should have another one "in-the-chute" who has been pre-approved and pre-appointed by the Board. Technically, if you wait for the next Board meeting, your institution might be in violation of the Act. Think FIRREA . . .