robbery money taken in deposit

Posted By: learningbanker

robbery money taken in deposit - 03/24/09 01:56 PM

We had a branch robbed. A few days later that same branch received a deposit from a local retail business that contain bills with red dye. The police were notified and given the bills to test. We want to "take" the money away from the deposit similar to if the bills were counterfeit. Although we may not at this point know the bills came from our robbery, they must have been from "A" robbery. Does anyone have a take on if we can change the deposited amount?
Thanks
Posted By: Pup

Re: robbery money taken in deposit - 03/24/09 04:37 PM

I would do it by placing a funds hold on the account and noting that the deposit is "under investigation".
Posted By: Fraudman CFCI

Re: robbery money taken in deposit - 03/24/09 06:58 PM

How are you going to "prove" the bills are from your robbery? Can you tie the retailer to your robbbery? Certainly, you should take the bills out of circulation while the investigation is ongoing but I doubt if you legally can short the deposit of the amount in question without proof positive. And if they are not from your robbery how can they be linked to another robbery?
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: robbery money taken in deposit - 03/25/09 01:33 PM

Agree with Fraudman.
Posted By: Pup

Re: robbery money taken in deposit - 03/25/09 06:09 PM

Do they have value with the Fed? Can the bills be sold as mutilated money? If not, you are not bound to accept them as part of a deposit and should be turned over to the authorities immediately. There is no reason that I see that your bank would have to give credit for the bills unless they can be sold to the Fed.

Of course, if you'd already given credit, it may be too late to take it back.
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: robbery money taken in deposit - 03/25/09 07:38 PM

Why isn't anyone asking about an investigation that may help lead to the thieves? I would look at the business as a lead.

Are businesses prohibited from taking cash that is stained? How badly is it marked up and as was noted, is it still considered good currency?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: robbery money taken in deposit - 03/25/09 08:00 PM

My thoughs exactly.

How about the authorities checking for bait money from other robbery's