Open Carry Law

Posted By: Queen Mum

Open Carry Law - 10/16/12 06:47 PM

Just wondering how many are putting up signs for customers not to carry on the premises?
Posted By: NLC

Re: Open Carry Law - 10/17/12 11:59 AM

We have for several years. Our state banking association suggested that we do it.
Posted By: CULady

Re: Open Carry Law - 10/17/12 03:43 PM

We have always had a no guns sign on the door. We have already advised the staff that we will not allow weapons on our property. I am hoping that we are over preparing for it, but you just never know in OK, they do like their guns here!
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Open Carry Law - 10/19/12 08:31 PM

I'm a fellow Okie Banker. We plan on posting signs prior to the Nov 1 deadline. We have one customer who insists that we cannot prohibit him from carrying inside our institution, citing that banks are not specifically excluded in the law. If any of you Okie's encounter this, feel free to share the below link with your customer.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=438588

Hope this helps! I'm interested to see how many come in with the smoke wagon attached to their hip.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Open Carry Law - 10/19/12 08:45 PM

Locally this issue came about a year or so ago. We had some pushing for signs and banning (occurred right around the time we had our first robbery, gun involved) and others insisting it would cause more backlash than anything.

It's been a year, nothing is posted and we've never had an issue. I don't think anyone's even spotted a weapon unless it was attached to a LEO. But, we're a bunch of peaceful farmers and people only get violent over land (or meth) disputes.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Open Carry Law - 10/22/12 02:21 PM

Quote:
We have one customer who insists that we cannot prohibit him from carrying inside our institution,

Gosh, he may be right! However, you can assure him that it makes your employees uncomfortable and, accordingly, you will close his account before his hat hits the floor.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Open Carry Law - 10/22/12 03:17 PM

In Oklahoma, a bank can prohibit the carrying of firearms in the building (except by law enforcement personnel), but it cannot prohibit firearms from its property. That is, the bank can require the individual (other than law enforcement) to lock the firearm up in his vehicle in the bank's parking lot.
Posted By: *W*W*

Re: Open Carry Law - 12/11/12 05:59 PM

Are there open carry limitations placed on peace officers? I'm in Texas. I've done a couple of searches and not coming up with much.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Open Carry Law - 12/11/12 06:13 PM

Well, you would need to define peace officer. Each police agency may have their own rules. There is nothing at the State level that prohibits it that I know of.
Posted By: Rosco P. Coltrane

Re: Open Carry Law - 12/18/12 04:48 PM

no signs, no issues. I'd rather frontline staff pay attention to how someone is behaving rather than "no gun = OK".

Plus the last few robberies around here were conducted by individuals who must not have seen the "no guns" sign on those other banks front doors.
Posted By: dblack

Re: Open Carry Law - 12/18/12 07:04 PM

^^ What he said.

I am in an OC state and it has never been an issue for us without signs posted.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Open Carry Law - 12/19/12 01:09 PM

If only we can get the bad guy to pay attention to the no guns sign.