Bill Traps

Posted By: Anonymous

Bill Traps - 10/27/03 01:56 PM

While attending the Security Officer's Workshop last month I was quite surprised to see the number of banks that have discontinued the use of bill traps. It's been a pro and con discussion here at our bank. Due to the fact robberies have become more agressive and local police deparrments have been known to come rolling into the parking lot without an all clear signal being displayed. A hostage situation the last scenario any of us want. I'm curious to find out your comments on the use of the bill traps in your institutions.
Posted By: RBanker

Re: Bill Traps - 10/27/03 02:25 PM

As in previous security posts, I would suggest a PM to a guru (Dana, etc???) - don't think it's a good idea to discuss the pros and cons of specific security devices in an open forum. The gurus/moderators are also able to determine that you are in truth a banker seeking legitimate assistance.
Posted By: incandescent

Re: Bill Traps - 10/27/03 03:40 PM

Actually, it's all out there for people to read, anyway. The following is from a recent movie (Out of Sight):

Now take one of those big envelopes
and put as many hundreds, fifties and
twenties as you can pack into it.
Nothing with bank straps or rubber
bands. I don't want any dye packs. I
don't want any bait money. Start with
the second drawer and then the one
over there, under the computer. Come
on, Loretta, the key's right there
next to you. No bills off the bottom
of the drawer.
Posted By: VMack

Re: Bill Traps *DELETED* - 10/27/03 08:12 PM

Post deleted by Mack
Posted By: incandescent

Re: Bill Traps - 10/27/03 08:58 PM

It's a dilemma, but you are right to make it a local call. It's all about risk management and no one can tell me that it is ever safe to pull bait money until the door is locked behind a bank robber. Giving a bank robber bait money is the equivalent of a death wish, in my opinion.

Re: Bill Traps - 10/27/03 10:41 PM

The best way to handle it:
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/2546711/detail.html
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: Bill Traps - 10/28/03 12:29 AM

This conversation needs to cease. Discussion of a particular bank's security procedures is not appropriate in an open forum. If you'd like to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (edited) pm a guru as suggested, you'll receive better advice, while protecting the security of your staff at the same time.

The anon link is frankly offensive and should be removed. Obviously it's not a post from a banker, (no reasonable banker would ever post such a thing), but is a great reminder that we have folks reading this site that are not bankers and do not have the best interests of bankers in mind.

Re: Bill Traps - 10/28/03 05:31 PM

Quote:

This conversation needs to cease. Discussion of a particular bank's security procedures is not appropriate in an open forum.

but is a great reminder that we have folks reading this site that are not bankers and do not have the best interests of bankers in mind.

WOW, your post is a bit heavy handed! First, the information is already out there, as posted above - from a movie. Second, no one has identified their financial institution. Third, this is a public site and open to the public, not really a banker only site and anyone that is on the net already knows that to be true. Do you truly believe that the banker posters need this kind of reminder?
Posted By: JacF

Re: Bill Traps - 10/28/03 05:55 PM

Quote:

Do you truly believe that the banker posters need this kind of reminder?

In some cases, yes.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 01:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This conversation needs to cease. Discussion of a particular bank's security procedures is not appropriate in an open forum.

but is a great reminder that we have folks reading this site that are not bankers and do not have the best interests of bankers in mind.

WOW, your post is a bit heavy handed! First, the information is already out there, as posted above - from a movie. Second, no one has identified their financial institution. Third, this is a public site and open to the public, not really a banker only site and anyone that is on the net already knows that to be true. Do you truly believe that the banker posters need this kind of reminder?

Doesn't matter that it's out there in other sites. Because this is mainly a bankers site and people may look to "banker sites" for information, we do not want to supply any sensitive information to the crooks out there or provide one more avenue in which to obtain info on bank security measures. I don't understand why true bankers (if they are) would continue to post security matters/measures in the public forums, it kills me!
Posted By: Brandy Osborne

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 02:30 PM

i can not imagine knowingly providing information that could put myself or others at my bank at risk... the guilt and personal responsablity would be too great!! even though someone may not name their bank, the information could be figured out with a little work... and bad people could do that. I always think that persons asking "questionable" questions are not in banking, as they should/ would know better!!

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 03:11 PM

Oh, come on, people!! Do you really believe this subject has enlightened career criminals or bank robbers to something they did not already know? Don't be so naive.

And if it enlightens a thinkin-about-it robber, perhaps it's actually a deterrent.

If video cameras and other sophisticated equipment that are clearly visible don't deter them, it's evident that the small bit of knowledge they glean from this thread will not deter them either.

Bank robbers are either desperate, stupid or blindly greedy. They're gonna rob some of us regardless of what snippets of vague information they might come across in a thread such as this.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 03:22 PM

Anon- if this is the way you feel and you are truly a banker, why are you posting Anon?????? Don't be afraid to post your views as a registered banker. If you read most responses to a thread where anon's are posting sensitive security information, it bothers us bankers to see this info posted for the world to see so a little common courtesy would be nice.

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 03:25 PM

Quote:

i can not imagine knowingly providing information that could put myself or others at my bank at risk... the guilt and personal responsablity would be too great!! even though someone may not name their bank, the information could be figured out with a little work... and bad people could do that. I always think that persons asking "questionable" questions are not in banking, as they should/ would know better!!

Gee Thanks. We are all glad that the author of that post is smarter and wiser than the posters in this thread. Do you see how comments like that can make someone feel? I think it is appropriate to caution fellow bankers about revealing sensitive information, but statements like the above, are not appropriate. I personally do not feel this thread crossed the line, but then that is merely my opinion. Thanks for the notes of caution and let's drop the matter here.

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 03:41 PM

Quote:

Doesn't matter that it's out there in other sites. Because this is mainly a bankers site and people may look to "banker sites" for information, we do not want to supply any sensitive information to the crooks out there or provide one more avenue in which to obtain info on bank security measures. I don't understand why true bankers (if they are) would continue to post security matters/measures in the public forums, it kills me!

O.K., so what was posted above that represented a disclosure of security at a specific bank or any bank? What was posted that prompted such a heavy handed response by a moderator?

Perhaps a disclaimer should be posted covering a lot of issues, such as:

WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Posted By: JacF

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 03:46 PM

Could I bother a forum mod to lock this thread, please?

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 04:10 PM

Quote:

Anon- if this is the way you feel and you are truly a banker, why are you posting Anon?????? Don't be afraid to post your views as a registered banker. If you read most responses to a thread where anon's are posting sensitive security information, it bothers us bankers to see this info posted for the world to see so a little common courtesy would be nice.

Heck no! I'll not post my name here. I'm already condemned. And I don't appreciate your high-handed "us bankers" attitude. Get off your high horse and try to be nice. I've probably been in banking since before you were born. It's posters like you who scare away new posters who are still timid about posting and showing their names. This needs to be a friendly place.
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: Bill Traps - 10/29/03 04:40 PM

We're done. I've had three separate requests. If you can't follow the golden rule, you can't play here. Call it what you will, this isn't about "out discussing" another, it is meant to be a sound exchange of ideas. This thread isn't doing that.