Fraudulent use of name and drivers license

Posted By: SusyG

Fraudulent use of name and drivers license - 11/02/05 05:18 PM

I just found out that fraudulent checks are being passed with my name and DL information on them. They are off of another institution where I have never banked I have contacted all the necessary people, completed the affidavits, etc. Here is the problem: Since my DL was compromised, I am suppose to report it to the State Department of Public Safety to get a new one issued. They won't take your statement without a police report. I went to the police station and they took alot of information down and then gave me an 11 page document to complete from the Secret Service. I completed most of their questions, however, they want basically the last six months of all my transactions on all of my accounts. I realize they would be looking at this to try to find the source of the theft, but that is looking for a needle in a haystack. I just want the police report so that the DMV will flag my DL for fraud and issue me a new one. I don't feel like I should have to give up my privacy to get this report. Any advice???
Posted By: kenyonlord

Re: Fraudulent use of name and drivers license - 11/02/05 11:29 PM

Not sure about your state, but there a number of things you could probably do; however, it is likely these may not completely end your hassles or risk and you should probably comply with the USSS forms and give the info.

1) put a fraud alert with the big three credit bureaus (experian, equifax, transunion) - if someone has a DL with your info, makes it easy to mess with your credit

2) contact your DMV and report your license stolen and get issued a new one with different numbers

3) change all banking account information - accounts #s, etc.

some of this may seem unnecessary, but better to take a few steps of prevention...