Debit Card "Dispute"

Posted By: Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega

Debit Card "Dispute" - 06/17/09 08:29 PM

Our customer picked up a horse that was being boarded. They had not feed the horse but would not allow the customer to take the horse unless they paid the boarding fee. The custoemr used thier debit card and would now like to dispute the transaction. Any ideas?
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Debit Card "Dispute" - 06/17/09 08:35 PM

If the customer willingly gave them their debit card this would not be an unauthorized transaction per Regulation E.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Debit Card "Dispute" - 06/17/09 08:39 PM

Agreed. The customer authorized the transaction. He or she should go "nag" the service provider (pun intentional).
Posted By: Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega

Re: Debit Card "Dispute" - 06/17/09 09:05 PM

I understand her only recourse is with the stable. To be honest I am more worried about my obligation. I don't want to get hung out to dry by missing another oportunity to give away money. (Why didn't they just write a check?)
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Debit Card "Dispute" - 06/17/09 09:21 PM

Or put it on a credit card.
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: Debit Card "Dispute" - 06/18/09 07:11 PM

If this is intended to reflect that the consumer was under duress, I don't believe that exception applies. If your consumer has a gun to his head at the ATM, that is duress. As was noted, this isn't the consumer and alternate payment methods should have been available.

The charge was authorized.
Posted By: C_Groat

Re: Debit Card "Dispute" - 06/19/09 08:12 PM

It may not fall under Reg E as customer gave card for the purchase, but customer could still have a dispute right under MasterCard or Visa's dispute resolution rules. Not much detail was provided regarding the claims, but it may be something to think about. Just because it does not meet Reg E, does not mean there is nothing you can do.