REG E

Posted By: CAKE

REG E - 05/15/14 09:43 PM

I have a customer who is disputing some transactions adding up to less than $200. She claims she lost her card on 5/7 but didn't report it lost until 5/14. The transactions could have been stopped had her card been hot status on 5/7 since all the transactions occurred before 5/14. The "fraudulent" transactions occurred at two merchant locations using a PIN. In looking at the customer card history for two months prior to this incident, these same merchants appear in her history also using a PIN as valid transactions. My question: Is this sufficient supporting documentation to deny this claim? What are the odds that the person who found her card, used it at the same locations she did and also used a PIN rather than signature?
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: REG E - 05/16/14 02:09 PM

I wish you'd been on my webinar earlier this week. Sure, those facts can contribute to your decision, but I wouldn't rely solely on that.

Any film? Has the consumer offered to file a police report? (You can't require it, but it may help in your decision.) Don't forget to calculate her liability based on the untimely notice and the dates of the transfer. And don't forget that you are not required to issue a new card.