which programming languages has the max security

Posted By: shienhang

which programming languages has the max security - 03/15/06 01:23 PM

greeting, good day to all of you. i project manager for an IT company, recently our company received a order from a local bank, they want to create an online ebanking portal, but before is start to design the structure i want to make sure several things first. firstly is that which programming language is consider the most secure to use. most of the bank is using aspx and jsp, i wonder which progromming language is the best for online ebanking system, currently i am PHP programmer, i wonder is PHP secure enough to build a such high security concern portal? hope that the experts over here can give me some clues thank you very much for yout time and patience to read my question.
Posted By: IamNoBanker

Re: which programming languages has the max security - 03/17/06 08:40 PM

interesting question, because "security" is all relative what you do surrounding the web site you are building(fire wall, remote access...). If you are talking only regard to the web site itself I think PHP is fine if you us ssl (notice the https://?). best of luck.
Posted By: shienhang

Re: which programming languages has the max security - 03/18/06 10:32 AM

well thank you for your commend and advice, i am struggling between the PHP and the ASP.net, for sure the PHP is the language which i am familiar with, my prof. told me pick the language that i know the best, but some linux administrator told me, because of php is open source for them and windows os is not so they think the php is more hackable than the asp.net. but i feel that if i have the Cisco IDS attached tot he server with the firewall on it, together with the ssl encrypt(256bit) the system should be quite secure already, and i think either php or asp.net is usable, but personally i prefer php, is anyone else can tell me what i the reason i should choose asp.net rather than php. or i should use other language such as jsp ? thank you very much for your time and advice. good day
Posted By: Nicholas

Re: which programming languages has the max secur - 03/18/06 05:46 PM

The language you choose will have less to do with the security of such an application than the experience of the team that implements that application. All of the server side scripting technologies you mentioned have been used in secure environments with great success... and failure too.

Unfortunately security means many things to many people. You may be wrongly assuming that a firewall, IDS, and SSL will secure your application, they won't. Those technologies are certainly best practice and you should use them, but they won't stop someone from exploiting bugs in your application code. Developing a secure eBanking application, you should be very concerned with issues such as SQL injection, remote file inclusion, remote code injection, etc. Customer information could be compromised if someone finds a way to tickle your backend database.