Prohibition on who can have lunch together

Posted By: SouthernComfort

Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/21/13 07:55 PM

Human Resources has told an employee they cannot have lunch with another specific employee. Is this legal?
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/21/13 08:00 PM

Oh my goodness. What would be the reason? Do they act up when together? I would not support such a directive. A bank really can't tell me who my friends are.

Wouldn't it make more sense to address the underlying issue than start telling people with whom they can spend time at lunch?
Posted By: manimal

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/21/13 08:05 PM

The only possible rational reason I can think of is for department coverage reasons (like two tellers going at the same time and leaving one teller to man the whole lobby). Without a business reason, I don't see how HR could get away with this.
Posted By: ahkcompliance

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/21/13 08:24 PM

I agree it would need to be for a specific business reason like manimal stated.
Posted By: SouthernComfort

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/21/13 08:37 PM

Thanks for your replys. it is not a coverage issue, it is a branch manager who is being told she cannot have lunch with one of the tellers because she is showing favoritism. I didn't think that HR would have the authority to enforce such a practice.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/21/13 08:51 PM

Have their been complaints? Is the manager buying lunch for the teller on a corporate card? Or is the HR person just saying this because of his or her own opinion?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/21/13 09:15 PM

Only the branch manager and the teller have a dog in this hunt. Why should it matter to anyone else?
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/21/13 11:19 PM

if favoritism begins to be shown in reviews, pay, treatment, that is different. But lunch?
Posted By: Deputy Dawn

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/22/13 04:09 AM

IMO, this is something the branch manager and the teller need to consider and have responsibility for.

I was friends with my manager but we did things outside of work. We were very careful not to let our friendship fall over into our work as we knew it could be viewed by others as favoritism. I did get promotions but the promotions were earned and my coworkers recognized that.

I don't think they should not be restricted by HR from having lunch together. If it becomes an issue, the manager will have to live with whatever consequences arise from her decisions
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Prohibition on who can have lunch together - 03/22/13 01:59 PM

I wonder if one is male and one is female...

for 3 years, my old boss (female) and i went to lunch 3-4 days a week, and never a word was said. Often it was just the 2 of us, but there were times when others came as well.

flash forward, boss starts working different hours, i start going to lunch earlier, so a supervisor that worked for me and i started going to lunch together (female) on more or less the same 3-4 days per week schedule, often just us, but others went as well...

Suddenly i'm in the CEO's office that i should watch whom i go to lunch with because rumors may start concerning favoritism and infidelity. I asked why those rumors weren't a concern for the past 3 years when i went with my boss...or why it was not a problem for the CEO who took his secretary to lunch 3-4 days per week, and one of the ladies from marketing the other days.

I never received a satisfactory answer, but also didn't alter my lunch plans...

Can HR tell an employee this? Yes. Is it enforceable and legal? That is a question for an attorney. Assuming they are going to lunch offsite, simple solution is each to drive there own vehicle and meet somewhere, then no one knows if they went together or not.