Bullying policy

Posted By: F&MB

Bullying policy - 07/02/14 08:14 PM

Has anyone placed a section on being bullied in the workplace? I was thinking of adding it to our antiharassement section of the Employee Handbook.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Bullying policy - 07/02/14 08:19 PM

Really? You need a policy for that. Why don't you just fire someone that is a bully for unable to work well with others????
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: Bullying policy - 07/02/14 08:55 PM

^ Exactly. No need to reinvent the wheel here.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Bullying policy - 07/02/14 09:30 PM

This is the most interesting forum, hands down. From an article Top 10 Essentials to Include in an Employee Handbook:

Workplace Bullying. Workplace bullying involves repeated unreasonable acts toward an employee, either by a peer or supervisor, intended to humiliate or undermine the employee, and creating a risk to his or her health. Workplace bullying is not yet illegal, but employers have significant incentives to prevent it. The costs of bullying to an employer include training new employees to replace employees who leave as a result of bullying; decreased productivity as employees cope with bullying incidents; and harm to an employer’s reputation. Employers should include in their employee handbooks a zero tolerance, anti-bullying policy as part of their commitment to a safe and healthy work environment. Such policies should include a process for reporting bullying, as well as responding to and investigating complaints of bullying.

It never occurred to me to have a policy on this, but I distinctly remember offering to beat the [censored] out of a supervisor who was brilliant, but in the midst of a mean hangover most of the time...

A Google search on - bullying and employee handbook- yields 164,000 hits.
Posted By: MyKidsMom

Re: Bullying policy - 07/02/14 10:05 PM

Sometimes it's a member of sr. management doing the bullying.

Re: Bullying policy - 07/02/14 10:19 PM

Sometimes it's a member of sr. management doing the bullying.

In some situations IMHO:

To some of us older folks, I think that is called managing.

To some of the younger crowd, they think it is bullying. However, repeated requests to do your job is not in the bullying category.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: Bullying policy - 07/03/14 02:01 AM

I can think of some managers who were just bullies...outride, rude nasty bullies.

Re: Bullying policy - 07/03/14 12:06 PM

Oh I agree and my comment was of course tongue in cheek.

However, HR policy or not, such policies are usually never enforced regarding Sr. Management, especially at smaller, family owned banks.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Bullying policy - 07/03/14 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: rlcarey
However, repeated requests to do your job is not in the bullying category.

I'm going to hold on to this and use it in the future, you certainly nailed this one.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Bullying policy - 07/03/14 03:03 PM

We would lump that in with workplace violence, as it covers verbal and physical aspects. Would we enforce it? Depends on who it is wink

I think the only bullies we have here are in senior management, so likely no.
Posted By: tango

Re: Bullying policy - 07/03/14 04:21 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I really hate when the word "bully" is used in reference to adult behavior. It is such an overused word today. I think "harassment" is so much more appropriate.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Bullying policy - 07/03/14 05:26 PM

I don't think the words are interchangeable, tango. There are definitely people in the workplace who bully others around be it from a place of superiority in title or just in their own minds. Harassment is picking on someone for a particular attribute they have. Not the same thing, imho, at all.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Bullying policy - 07/03/14 05:34 PM

I think bullying is a type of harassment. I would put any bullying language in a larger harassment policy.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Bullying policy - 07/03/14 06:35 PM

Quote:
bul·ly1 /ˈbʊli/ Show Spelled [bool-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural bul·lies.
1. a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.

Quote:
ha·rass·ment/həˈræsmənt, ˈhærəsmənt/ Show Spelled [huh-ras-muhnt, har-uhs-muhnt] Show IPA
noun
the act or an instance of harassing, or disturbing, pestering, or troubling repeatedly; persecution:

sounds fairly imnterchangable to me. bottom line, be prepared to address either/both if it happens, or be ready to pay the penalties from a lawsuit
Posted By: Combustible

Re: Bullying policy - 08/08/14 01:52 PM

I suggested HR adopt a bullying policy and they said they don't focus on negative, they focus on rewarding employees who are postive, well liked, and do a good job. These are all subjective evaluations in my book, because it seems in many cases Sr mangement's "positives" are their friends who they've hired, go to lunch with, leaving others behind and disconnected. In the 80's we called it preferential treatment.
Posted By: RBanker

Re: Bullying policy - 08/08/14 09:40 PM

Does HR also hand out participation ribbons too? Good grief - if they don't want to focus on negative situations they need to get out of HR....