Development resources for Written communication

Posted By: Susan

Development resources for Written communication - 10/27/05 05:59 PM

I am supervising an employee whose written communication skills are mediocre to poor. Having a BA in English, this drives me CRAZY. Aside from the personal irritation, it does reflect unfavorably on the bank. Wondering if anyone has any resources I can use to help develop this individual's skills (including spelling).
Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Development resources for Written communication - 10/27/05 06:27 PM

spell checker
Posted By: Raiderette

Re: Development resources for Written communication - 10/27/05 06:59 PM

Maybe suggest to him/her that there are classes available at the local college. Also let the employee know that the bank may pick up the charge.
Posted By: TX Ladybug

Re: Development resources for Written communication - 10/27/05 09:53 PM

Go to www.careertrack.com These are Fred Pryor Training Seminars/books/etc.
Under Communications, there is a course titled "Mistake Free Grammar and Proofreading. I have not taken this particular course, but have been to several other seminars through this organization and they were satisfactory.
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: Development resources for Written communication - 10/28/05 01:07 PM

If you have the time to spend with him/her, give him/her responsibilities that require a lot of writing. You will need to spend lots of time in review/critique, however there's no better way to learn than by doing. Early in my banking career, I was given the opportunity to write sections of our press releases and annual reports; writing that got heavy scrutiny. As time went on, there was less and less red ink on my drafts until I became a fairly decent writer. I learned more from this than from all the English classes I took in grade school, high school, and college.