terminated employee

Posted By: lakesider

terminated employee - 12/17/02 10:23 PM

Are we required to pay a terminated employee within 6 calendar days?
Posted By: KSherrell

Re: terminated employee - 12/17/02 10:38 PM

From my understanding if you terminate an employee, you are required to give them their wages owed on their way out the door.
Posted By: Don_Narup

Re: terminated employee - 12/17/02 10:47 PM

Its a state issue. The following is coutresy of Grist who posted this source in the Earyl Release thread.

"In reality, time limits regarding payment of wages to terminating employees are established by state law and are normally quite stringent. Employers should thus ensure that they are familiar with the wage payment laws in each state in which they have employees. In California, for example, discharged employees must be paid wages earned at the time of discharge. Moreover, employees who resign must be paid within seventy-two hours of the effective date of the resignation unless seventy-two hours' notice was given, in which case payment must be made at the time the resignation is effective. In Connecticut, employees resigning must be paid not later than the next regularly scheduled payday. If the employee is discharged, however, payment must be made not later than the next business day following the discharge. In New York, employers are required to pay all terminating employees, regardless of whether they resign or are discharged, not later than the regular payday for the pay period during which the termination occurred.
Posted By: KSherrell

Re: terminated employee - 12/17/02 10:53 PM

I'm in CA.

I sort of figured it was a state issue, I was going to edit my post and say so..but Don beat me too it.
Posted By: Ross A

Re: terminated employee - 12/28/02 01:58 PM

Is there a link for other states?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: terminated employee - 12/28/02 11:25 PM

You can usually find what you are looking for with a simple search on "google" with the state name and the words "Wage and Hour" or go to the state website and look for the department of labor or equivalent.
Posted By: Ross A

Re: terminated employee - 12/29/02 04:04 PM

Thanks.