Iraqi playing cards

Posted By: Richard Insley

Iraqi playing cards - 04/15/03 11:08 AM

Here's a link to the famous "Personality Identification Playing Cards."
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/16/03 03:17 PM

There is a cartoon in today's USA TODAY. It shows 4 women playing cards. One woman says "These Iraqi playing cards are so confusing... Do you have Saddam?" Another woman answers "Go Fish."
Posted By: JacF

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/16/03 03:22 PM

I also heard that because of a snafu at an Iraqi trading card shop, the US Military is now on an all-out hunt for Pikachu.
Posted By: Kansayaku

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/16/03 04:35 PM

Not Pikachu!
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/16/03 11:04 PM

My first thought was that the deck would be full of jokers. The information minister should be on that one anyway.
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/17/03 03:22 PM

I find it interesting that so many of the cards don't have pictures, just a silhouette with the name. Isn't the point of the cards to help apprehend these people?
Posted By: gone

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/17/03 03:41 PM

I just love the military! They way they turn recreation time into a learning experience. (Can you tell I am an Army brat). I gotta get me one of those decks. Too cool!
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/18/03 10:17 PM

I'm curious, if some of these folks are picked up (wasn't the 7 of diamonds just recently captured?) are those cards to be removed from the deck? If so, this would greatly enhance a person's chances in a poker game if they kept up with the news....

I want a deck too!!!
Posted By: Ross

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/18/03 11:04 PM

When the Iraqui cards are all 'played', how about a deck of 'HUD Playing Cards'?
Posted By: Kansayaku

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 04:53 PM

I got an email about purchasing the cards. Did anyone else receive this?
Posted By: ABrown

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 05:22 PM

I got one too. I just deleted it.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 05:36 PM

I got one, too. As a magician, I'm very interested in acquiring some of these decks. I can think of a number of card effects that would be quite stellar using these cards - such as making the Saddam card disappear, reappear in different places, torn and restored, burned to ashes, and then ultimately reappearing behind bars. It would be pretty cool, don't you think?
Posted By: JacF

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 06:01 PM

That sounds great, Magic. Make sure you post your tour schedule so I can get out to see your act in person!

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 06:13 PM

I just ordered a set - I think it's a disgusting deal that they are selling them, but my wife is intrigued by them, so for $5.95 plus more than that for shipping, I should be receiving my Mother's Day gift for my wife very soon! She will regret ever telling me she wanted them.
Posted By: Little Sister

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 08:51 PM

"I got an email about purchasing the cards. Did anyone else receive this?"
Who selling them? Someone from Nigeria?

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 09:46 PM

I get 4 a day - the only "authorized" place is in Illinois and the deck is $5.95 plus $6.95 shipping.
Posted By: Miss Kitty

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 09:49 PM

Quote:

I just ordered a set - I think it's a disgusting deal that they are selling them, but my wife is intrigued by them, so for $5.95 plus more than that for shipping,

So, how did you order them? I didn't see a link for that.

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 09:59 PM

I didn't send a link - I don't want to be resonsible for anyone getting scammed because maybe I did too. I just clicked on the link I saw in the e-mail I got and it appeared to be the place I saw on the news that was authorized to sell.

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/22/03 10:15 PM

CBSNEWS.com has an interactive House of Cards site where you can print your own set.

Spades: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/america_at_war/target_iraq/print_spades.html

Diamonds: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/america_at_war/target_iraq/print_diamonds.html

Hearts: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/america_at_war/target_iraq/print_hearts.html

Clubs: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/america_at_war/target_iraq/print_clubs.html
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/26/03 06:55 AM

Cub Dave - if you purchased the cards from Great USA Flags.com, it appears legit - at least according to this article from a Boston newspaper:
Iraqi Playing Cards in great demand

and this news bite from ABC -
ABC News

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 04/26/03 01:38 PM

Bonnie - that's where I got them. In fact, I had an e-mail from them waiting for me at work this morning telling me there was a small delay and to expect them in 3-10 days (plenty of time for Mother's Day!)
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 05/08/03 09:51 PM

Quote:

Bonnie - that's where I got them. In fact, I had an e-mail from them waiting for me at work this morning telling me there was a small delay and to expect them in 3-10 days (plenty of time for Mother's Day!)

Did you get the cards yet? If not, it's back to the florist for you.

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 05/08/03 09:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Did you get the cards yet? If not, it's back to the florist for you.

NO - and I am panicked. They charged my CC Tuesday, so I am hoping they will show up here by Saturday; but actually, that will just be a gag gift - I did get her a real M-Day gift!
Posted By: Steve Houston

Re: Iraqi playing cards - 05/12/03 01:44 PM

Not to worry. I ordered a 4-deck special from these guys and they accidentally doubled up and sent me 8 decks. They must be at least partially on the level. The cards appear to actually have been printed by Hoyle.