discount card

Posted By: complyorelse

discount card - 08/08/14 03:40 PM

We have a business customer that would like for us to provide a discount card (5% off your next service type statement) to our other customers (and non-customers) that come to the bank; just a way to market their business. The card will have the business who is providing the discount name on it, won't have our bank name on it and there will be no reference to the fact the business is our our customer. What it will have is an electronic swipe code that would identify the recipient of the card as a "Friend of XXX Bank". Again, they want us to give them to our customers and non-customers.

I have some trepidation over privacy but don't know that it is warranted since the electronic swipe would only identify them as having some type of association with us and wouldn't even confirm the reciever of the card as a customer. I am also trying to make sure we don't have any lottery concerns because the customer would actually have to spend money to get the discount. Am I reaching too far on that?

I appreciate any feedback.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: discount card - 08/08/14 04:38 PM

So how many other business customers are going to line up for something similar once you open the flood gates. What if the services or product are defective?

Much to think about.

At the banks that I have worked at it would take about one minute to say no thanks, nothing in it for us. There are nothing but downsides and no upside.

Re: discount card - 08/08/14 05:45 PM

I can't say that I disagree with you and will share this insight with the branch asking about it doing this for our customer. Do you have any thoughts on the privacy and/or lottery aspects?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: discount card - 08/08/14 07:05 PM

I'm not sure how handing out discount cards randomly to people in your bank whether customers or not could be considered a lottery. I'm also not sure since you can give these to both customers and non-customer what privacy issues would be presented.

Re: discount card - 08/08/14 07:54 PM

Great. Thank you.