Christmas

Posted By: AngelinaLM

Christmas - 09/26/07 02:26 PM

So we get paid on the 15th and the last day of the month, I'm not sure about everyone else. After this paycheck on Friday, we have 5 more paychecks until Christmas...sigh...
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:28 PM

How dare you bring up Christmas this early!

Christmas should not be discussed or even thought about until after Thanksgiving!!
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:32 PM

Gee, the Fleet Farm in Appleton already has Christmas decorations for sale. Those big blow up lawn ornaments. One aisle is Halloween; the other aisle is Christmas.
Posted By: Queen Bee

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:35 PM

I saw Christmas stuff for sale at CVS last week
Posted By: Hmmm...

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:35 PM

There was already Christmas stuff up in Kohls when I went there the other day. I guess I need to start thinking about those five paychecks left and try to plan ahead (which, of course, I never do).
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:36 PM

I don't think about Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:39 PM

We had a Kohl's here already done up in Christmas a month ago, but it is the store closest to their headquarters, so they are always months ahead. They test the store for back to school in like March already.

The Boston Store already has some holiday stuff up too.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:40 PM

My store is in South Carolina. It seems wrong to be so hot and have Christmas stuff on the shelves. In fact, they already had the Halloween stuff marked down and it's not even October.
Posted By: pjs

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:44 PM

K-Mart has their Christmas trees up and decorated in store along with other stuff.
I don't know about the North end of town because I haven't been shopping in awhile. But Elder Beerman prob has their stuff all up and selling since I remember last year they had it up at the end of August.

I have a Christmas Club thank goodness- but I've already put out the warnings that Im staying to my limits this year!
Posted By: A_G

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:45 PM

This thread should be thrown in the trash it's way too early to talk Christmas!
Posted By: kitten

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:53 PM

i'm a buddhist and all this talk about christmas offends me.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 02:54 PM

I have to start planning now, because the only thing he has told me that he wants is a Tag Heuer watch so I told him I wanted an engagement ring
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:01 PM

Yikes! No pressure there!

I need to find my 6'4" nephew some golf clubs...I think I'm going to need those five paychecks.
Posted By: FBH

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: AngelinaLM
I have to start planning now, because the only thing he has told me that he wants is a Tag Heuer watch so I told him I wanted an engagement ring

I can't imagine owning a watch that costs over a thousand dollars...It seems very wasteful to me, especially in the cell phone age. I don't even wear a watch anymore, I just look at my phone.

Good luck on getting the ring though!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:05 PM

I am very torn about what to do about Christmas this year. Every year I spend hundreds of dollars on toys that do not get played with. The DDR that my son "had to have" last xmas was played with less than 5 times. I hate spending money on toys that arent played with and that are just going to junk up my house! Ideas? Suggestions?
Posted By: X O

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:08 PM

i am getting my son a membership to the young chefs academy. he loves to help me cook so he will be very happy with going and learning how to make fun things.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:09 PM

QVC, or should I use their new brand, Q, was selling all kinds of Christmas stuff yesterday - Bethlehem lights, which are a good brand, but come on in September!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:10 PM

QB - how old is your son?
Posted By: QCL

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:12 PM

I don't think of Christmas until October 15. The day the bank cuts the Christmas club checks.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:17 PM

For some of my friends with children who are less than 4, their kids get so many toys for christmas that they will put a bunch of them away and save them for the next Christmas (if it ends up eing age appropriate for the next christmas). The kids don't know the difference. In turn, they ask family and friends to get them educational things that aren't toys. I don't have children, but I have nephews that are very hard to buy for. They have EVERYTHING! And, the funny thing is, the things they seem to play with the most cost the least. They have a problem tearing up the ones they have also, so I try not to spend too much money on them.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Fightin BlueHen

I can't imagine owning a watch that costs over a thousand dollars...It seems very wasteful to me, especially in the cell phone age. I don't even wear a watch anymore, I just look at my phone.

He knows I was kidding about the ring, I dont like to pressure him. I dont know why he wants a watch like that. With his line of work, he would never wear it. He broke the one that he has on a guy that was resisting arrest. He's still waiting for restitution to come in and pay for it to be repaired. I cant imagine what he'd do if someone creep broke his Tag.

Last year I had my friends son do a portrait of his dog and had it framed. The mother of all gifts
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:19 PM

Even from a very young age, I think children can be made to understand that stuff is expensive and they cannot possibly expect to get everything they want.

We've always done Christmas lists. Now they often come attached to catalogs (American Girl in particular) with specific items circled (sometimes with crayon ) We talk about how a particular item may be quite pricey and is that really what you want or are these two other things more important to you. The lists are shared with all the gift giving relatives so both the giver and the receiver are happy with the gifts.

btw, everyone does a list, grown-ups included. Last year, to my surprise, I found out that the thing my mother wanted most were subscriptions to a couple particular word-find magazines. Knowing how hard it is to get something for an older person, this was a bonus! Two minutes at my computer and she was set for a year!

I've already got a stash of things for gifts that I found on sale or got when a relative said, 'gosh, I'd sure like to have one of those.'

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:23 PM

You are like my mom. She is good about thinking of things throughout the year by paying attention to what people say. However, sometimes she runs into the problem of then misplacing the gift and I end up getting it a year or two later!!
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:23 PM

You said Christmas and my heart sank. Sad isn't it. This has been the eorst year for me financially since I was 18 and I know my kids will still want cool stuff.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles
QB - how old is your son?

My son just turned 8 and all he wants is video games. He loves to read, so I was thinking of a gift cards to a book store but that isnt all I can give him!! I refuse to buy him a bunch of video games and he already has magazine subscriptions!! Help!

XO - thats a great idea. I dont think we have that here
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:24 PM

My Mother has already finished her Christmas shopping! I usually go shopping on the 2 holidays that Kid Wonder has to go to school and I get off - Columbus day and Veterans Day. We're really cutting back in our family this year as we are planning a total family member cruise to Alaska next year! Kid Wonder and I will be making a lot of gifts for family. We generally have everything we need and most of what we want. We are Blessed!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:27 PM

QB - good luck. 8 is tough. I was always lucky that I could think of things for my son that he didn't ask for. For his birthday one year I gave him a snow cone maker - he loved snow cones and his friends thought that was the coolest gift. I was always good with some 'educational' gifts, too.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:29 PM

Financial problems... I know about those. My husband and I have been on a strict budget for the past several months. But, I hope to be done with this craziness in May. So, Christmas is defnitely going to be tight. So, I will have to get creative. Unfortunatly, my husband might be the most expensive big kid ever. He knows what he wants, but it all happens to be pretty expensive.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:29 PM

And, he is an only child with a mother that always bought him exactly what he asked for as a kid. So, he expects these things.
Posted By: Beige

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: kitten

Buddhist, huh???

What kinds of celebrations does the buddist faith observe, Kitten??

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: HBG
And, he is an only child with a mother that always bought him exactly what he asked for as a kid. So, he expects these things.

I feel your pain.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:33 PM

we believe in the renunciation of worldly goods. no need for lists. happiness comes from within.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:35 PM

isnt that mormon?

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:35 PM

do you have to take a vow of poverty?
do you ever get gifts?
do you have a car or a bike??

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:37 PM

if he loves to read, i hope you have a library card. my kid is only 5 but the library is a weekly venture. he just wishes we could keep the books...

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: QueenBee
isnt that moron?

That's not nice QB!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: QueenBee
isnt that mormon?

did you mean moron??

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:39 PM

beat ya XO!!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:40 PM

dang it.... on a positive note my company is going to reimburse me for my college classes right before christmas so that means $900 extra for the holidays... i think we are getting a zoo friends membership and a museum membership next year. Yes, my sone and I are nerds, but that's what he likes so there...

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:41 PM

Speaking of gift giving for older...The kids and grandkids get together in my family and buy my Grandma her annual newspaper subscription as well as her cable for the year!

She loves it...and we know these are things she will use and get enjoyment out of! Money well spent.

For the rest of the family Grandma gives cash to her kids (our parents), and then we all tend to get cash/card from them. Only the grandkids get a gift from grandma, which is normally clothes. We also generally do not give gifts to all the cousins...just gets to be too crazy. You just give gifts to either your own neice/nephews, or godchildren. Much better without all the gifts..so much easier and more enjoyable.

Now, if my SO's family can only figure that out....everyone has to give everyone something, so you just end up with all this useless crapp! Not so fun trying to het a power drill through your suitcase in customs!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:50 PM

Have you checked out your library or the video store for game rentals? Some libraries have games you can rent for a significant length of time. Make a really neat card stating you'll help him get him his own card and setting up a regular Library Date. You go together and maybe stop for a treat or pizza afterwards.

Not to de-Christmas this, but at 8, is he getting an allowance? Does he do the envelope bit where he has to put so much aside for savings, so much for 'wish I hads' and so much to spend on whatever now? This would help him get his games while teaching him about how to manage money too. Just a thought.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 03:53 PM

Heck, I already have some Christmas shopping done!

I get alot of catalogs with unusual stuff, and when I see something that would be perfect for a friend or relative, I get it.

For instance, my nephew does a dead-on (no pun intended) imitation of Steve Irwin, the late crocodile hunter. I found a Steve Irwin doll in one of the catalogs. You press his shirt pocket and he says stuff like "Cricky!" or "Crocs Rule". I had to get it!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Beige
do you have to take a vow of poverty?
do you ever get gifts?
do you have a car or a bike??

sorry for the delay. i was meditating.

no vow of poverty needed. i do have a car.

i guess if no one is going to take my being offended seriously, i'll have to leave the thread.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:04 PM

We only gift the immediate group which is about 20 people from 8mos to 80 yrs. Most $$ spent on my grans but I'm entitled to do that per the grandmother's handbook.

For my sister, sil and their grown kids we do baskets. My daughter and dil make things like jelly or whatever they can afford. I'll stick in wine and usually a small gift for each. Mom sticks to a budget. Actually, I do because I do most of her shopping now. She tells me who she needs something for and I hit the sales for her.

It's fun to send things that are particular to our area. Cheeses, Door County Cherry chocolates, whatever. No more over the top spending but I'm not one to go the giftless route either.
btw, I'm not making light of your religion. I just don't understand how you can be offended by a discussion you choose to be part of. I'm not offended that you're buddist.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:06 PM

Don't worry about getting little kids exactly what they think they want. Get them something cute, small and cheap, and give them a gift card. That way, after Christmas, they can have fun shopping for what they wanted but didn't get, and probably at a sale price too. They get so much other sruff that it won't matter, so don't rack your brain so much.

The kids in my family, from 3 to 30, love gift cards. No wrong sizes, no styles they don't like, no duplicate gifts. The older ones get gas cards which are much appreciated. I always have something small for them to unwrap with it, like bubble bath, or makeup for the little girls, a matchbox truck for the little boys, something like that. This year, the older girls are getting necklaces that look like a string of Christmas lights. They can wear them to their parties and look a little festive, or turn them on (they light up) if they are crazy like their Auntie!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Fightin BlueHen

No kidding. I got my Guess watch - I though I was spluring by spending around 80 or so - and scratched the face in a few weeks. Those darn Movado ones look so nice though...

The same thing with sunglasses. I will not spend more than $15 a pair. They always get scratched, bent, sit on, etc. I got through at least two pairs per summer.

edit: sorry I posted within the quote instead of at the end

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:08 PM

Sorry kitten, but if this thread is offending you, we are sorry. It is not meant as a dig at you, and as you can see, many of us actually like Christmas.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:18 PM

it's not that i don't like christmas. it's just that it is a christian holiday that not everyone observes. i just want people need to be sensitive to that. no biggie.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: XO XO Xodus
if he loves to read, i hope you have a library card. my kid is only 5 but the library is a weekly venture. he just wishes we could keep the books...

XO - thanks for reminding me that I have a book to reserve for him! He is reading the Charlie Bones series right now and loves it! We were just at the library on Saturday

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:28 PM

also...since xmas is just me, my husband and the kids, I create wish lists on amazon.com and send them out to everyone - it works great for the kids.
Posted By: Becka Marr

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:35 PM

it's not that i don't like christmas. it's just that it is a christian holiday that not everyone observes. i just want people need to be sensitive to that. no biggie.

:groan: You do know that most customs associated with Christmas (trees, lights, gifts, etc.) originated with pagan festivals, right? Certainly they survived under Christianity, but that doesn't mean it is a "Christian holiday."

My family has always observed Christmas, and we are not Christians.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:42 PM

i was not referring to the trees/lights/gifts, so i'm not sure what the ":groan:" was for.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:44 PM

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

I find the ties between Christmas and Christianity to be loose, at best. For the most part, it is a secular holiday.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:49 PM

Santa Claus is certainly not a Christian figure.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:50 PM

Not everyone votes either but that hasn't stopped the political threads. As always, if someone doesn't like the thread topic, they should just stay out of that thread. Can we leave this now and get back to the discussion of gift ideas?

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:53 PM

Kitten,
Would you be offended in a thread about shopping days until Hanukkah? I think that there is 70 days, BTW.

Or is it just Christmas that offends you? You’ll find that I am not typically a smart-alec.

I can't believe that the Holiest day of my personal belief system should offend. I am not saying that you should believe in what I do, but this is a celebration of a Holy Day for me.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:55 PM

i just find discussions of this sort problematic, but as it has been made clear to me that i am not free to express my opinion in defense of my beliefs, i will do what the mods have suggested and let you go back to your shopping ideas.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Nanwa

Nor are Elves or reindeer!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Ms. Becka

Nor are Elves or reindeer!

You just broke my heart!

TV has been telling me lies all this time. hmmph

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:02 PM

i was not referring to the trees/lights/gifts, so i'm not sure what the ":groan:" was for.

For all the whining you're doing! Geeze, if you don't want to talk about Christmas, why don't you just go back to mediating!!!
It's not like were all chanting "No Budda!!!"

Get over yourself!!!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Not everyone votes either but that hasn't stopped the political threads. As always, if someone doesn't like the thread topic, they should just stay out of that thread. Can we leave this now and get back to the discussion of gift ideas?

I have been trying all week to not be that guy, but, if that is the case, then why is any thread ever deleted?

If a thread is found to be offensive by anyone one person, shouldn't they then be reminded of the statement you just made above, and be asked to simply refrain from viewing the thread going forward?

If not, then past practice should be applied here as well today, and this thread removed since a complaint has been made already in this thread.

The set of double standards cannot continue. Perhaps doing away with the cooler altogether is a not a bad solution.

Now, that being said, I am sooo past the gift stage in life already but if you insist on getting me a gift, I think gift cards are the best gift idea ever! I love them, I get what I want, I get what fits, and when people ask me about the item, I proudly say "I got it as a gift from ..." or "I got it with a gift card from..."

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:04 PM

Are you sure about that?

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mom of Princess Nataliebear
Kitten,
Would you be offended in a thread about shopping days until Hanukkah? I think that there is 70 days, BTW.

Or is it just Christmas that offends you? You’ll find that I am not typically a smart-alec.

I can't believe that the Holiest day of my personal belief system should offend. I am not saying that you should believe in what I do, but this is a celebration of a Holy Day for me.

what's funny is the holiest day in your belief system isn't even celebrated on the right day, let's just borrow somebody else's holy day for that too...

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:07 PM

For all the whining you're doing! Geeze, if you don't want to talk about Christmas, why don't you just go back to mediating!!!

Get over yourself!!!

thank you for your mature perspective, beige.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
[quote=Truffle Royale] [font:Comic Sans MS] [color:#990000]

If not, then past practice should be applied here as well today, and this thread removed since a complaint has been made already in this thread.

The set of double standards cannot continue. Perhaps doing away with the cooler altogether is a not a bad solution.

thread are not dumped simply because there has been a complaint, the mods do appy some logic and reason to the notices;

I see no double standards, but as we all know, we have different sensibilities

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:10 PM

Get over yourself!!!

No problem sweetie - now go meditate!!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:11 PM

Get over yourself!!!

why don't you come with me?

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:15 PM

Get over yourself!!!

So long as we can make the "ooohhhhhmmmm" sound. I ♥ the "ooohhhhhmmmm" sound
Posted By: Clown Boy

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:15 PM

I think now would be a good time for everyone to check out #20 on the posting guidlines....

Go on, go ahead... We'll wait for ya....

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:27 PM

good point

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:27 PM

TR said it herself: If you do not like the thread, don't go into it.

That said, why is any thread removed or edited then. If you do not like it, stop reading it.

Why is that same instruction not applied across the board?

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:28 PM

Get over yourself!!!

if you were nicer to me, i'd even include incense.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:30 PM

Get over yourself!!!

if you were nicer to me, i'd even include incense.

::kisses:: ::bends down and scratches kitty behind the ears::

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:30 PM

pppppppppppuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:34 PM

Ummm... aren't we talking about Christmas here? Or, am I crazy?

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:37 PM

probably a least a little of the latter, mixed with a marginal dose of the prior...

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mom of Princess Nataliebear

Are you sure about that?

Yes, because he came a long time after Christ. He may have been a catholic figure in the past, but he has nothing to do with the main reason we celebrate Christmas. Yes, he did good things and yes, he was called "Saint" Nicolas, but who appoints saint hood? Politically connected people in the church hierarchy do.

If a person was really as good as a saint, they would be secure in the knowledge that what they live for is good, and not want the title.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:41 PM

OhhhhK. I think the latter is also true XO.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:42 PM

hey wait a minute ---

I am a saint and a priest; excuse me for highjacking but all believers are these things if the NT is to be believed

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:46 PM

OhhhhK. I think the latter is also true XO.

i find that I cannot disagree...

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
hey wait a minute ---

I am a saint and a priest; excuse me for highjacking but all believers are these things if the NT is to be believed

It was hijacked a long time ago....and this is when I stop reading the thread that I started with an innocent statement and stop posting in it.

Who wants a new Christmas thread??

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:47 PM

Halloween first dang, I don't even know what I am going to be yet....

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:50 PM

Halloween is just a bad excuse to get sick off of candy. But, the costumes can be fun. However, I have no children and no friends that have parties for these things b/c they all have children. Too bad.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:52 PM

that indeed is sad HBG, i have both so I will be sure to ham it up in your name...

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:55 PM

Thanks -- you do that. what's terrible are the kids that come to your door with no costume and are teenagers. That's just wrong.
Posted By: Jokerman

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:55 PM

Ok, you're going to have to help me out, here. I thought it was pretty obvious that this was sarcasm, but...are you serious?

My understanding of Buddhism would be that a Buddhist has no reason to be offended by any other religion's observance of a holiday.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 05:59 PM

we were talking about gift ideas... what the heck happened here???
Posted By: Comp Guy No More

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:04 PM

Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Santa Claus. He was a 4th century Christian bishop of Myra in Lycia, a province of the Byzantine Anatolia, now in Turkey. Nicholas was famous for his generous gifts to the poor, in particular presenting the three impoverished daughters of a pious Christian with dowries so that they would not have to become prostitutes. He was very religious from an early age and devoted his life entirely to Christianity. In Europe (more precisely the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Germany) he is still portrayed as a bearded bishop in canonical robes. The relics of St. Nicholas were transported to Bari in southern Italy by some enterprising Italian merchants;[1] a basilica was constructed in 1087 to house them and the area became a pilgrimage site for the devout. Saint Nicholas became revered by many as the patron saint of seamen, merchants, archers, children, prostitutes, pharmacists, lawyers, pawnbrokers, prisoners, the city of Amsterdam, and of Russia. In Greece, Saint Nicholas is substituted for Saint Basil (Agios Vasilis in Greek), a 4th century AD bishop from Caesarea. Also, the Northern part of the Netherlands and a few villages in Flanders, Belgium, celebrate a near identical figure, Sint-Maarten (Saint Martin of Tours).

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:06 PM

we were talking about gift ideas... what the heck happened here???

Just start talkin sweetie!!!
You've just gotta speak up - chances are someone else will start talkin too!!

You can also try:

and now back to our regularly scheduled thread.......(only really works sometimes)

and go!!!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:07 PM

And for the opposition:

Though some elements of Santa Claus have Christian origins, he has become a secular representation of Christmas. As such, a number of Christian churches dislike the secular focus on Santa Claus and the materialist focus that present-receiving gives to the holiday.

Such a condemnation of Santa Claus is not a 20th-century phenomenon, but originated among some Protestant groups of the 16th century and was prevalent among the Puritans of 17th-century England and America who banned the holiday as either pagan or Roman Catholic. Following the English Civil War, under Oliver Cromwell's government Christmas was banned. Following the Restoration of the monarchy and with Puritans out of power in England,[4] the ban on Christmas was satirized in works such as Josiah King's The Examination and Tryal of Old Father Christmas; Together with his Clearing by the Jury (1686) [Nissenbaum, chap. 1].

Rev. Paul Nedergaard, a clergyman in Copenhagen, Denmark attracted controversy in 1958 when he declared Santa to be a "pagan goblin" after Santa's image was used on fund raising materials for a Danish welfare organization Clar, 337. One prominent religious group that refuses to celebrate Santa Claus, or Christmas itself, for similar reasons is the Jehovah's Witnesses [5]. A number of denominations of Christians have varying concerns about Santa Claus, which range from acceptance to denoucement.

Most Christians believe that their own focus in the Christmas season should be placed on the birth of Jesus [6] and many would prefer this to be the focus of the festival in general [citation needed], though attitudes to this vary according to country. In addition, some parents are uncomfortable about lying to their children about the existence of Santa. This is a concern which both Christians and non-Christians may have on the general basis that it is wrong to systematically lie to one's children. Christians are also often concerned that the lie suggests, when it is revealed, that Christianity is also a childish belief which one grows out of, thus providing a model for the critics of religion. Those with such concerns may tell their children that Santa Claus is just a sort of game, a "pretend" activity. Those whose objections are more to the materialist nature of the modern festival but still wish to participate in the festive gift-giving atmosphere of "Santa season" will shop for toys to donate to poor children on St. Nicholas's feast day, December 6. This is an opportunity to instill the Christian value of secret charity, which Nicholas was known for. Although feast days are usually not acknowledged in Protestant denominations, this tradition has found acceptance there as well.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:09 PM

PR, you are correct! All beleivers are considered to be saints - that is, the way certain factions of Christianity read the NT. As is my experience with pentecostal.

But from my experience as a catholic, they have specific steps a person has to go through to be considered a saint. Like, being dead, beaification (?), miricles witnessed in their name, etc.

What I am saying is Santa Claus has no more to do with the real reason for Christmas than the Easter Bunny with the Resurrection. Both characters were devised to allow people to enjoy the holidays and share the loving and giving spirit in a non-religious manner.

Actually, the timing of Christmas was stolen from the pagean celebration of the winter solstice. Since Christians didn't want to offend the masses by taking away the celebration, they decided to incorporate the religious observance into the celebration. Same with Easter. The name Easter has to do with the pagean celebration of rebirth and renewal with the springtime. By combining the celebration of the religious with the pagean, more people are happy.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:12 PM

But from my experience as a catholic, they have specific steps a person has to go through to be considered a saint. Like, being dead, beaification (?), miricles witnessed in their name, etc.

::joke forthcoming::I guess that exlcudes all active posters from Sainthood!

::serious question:: Does anybody know what defines/proves a miracle? Wasn't this a debate when Mother Teresa was up for sainthood?

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: AuditGuy

::serious question:: Does anybody know what defines/proves a miracle? Wasn't this a debate when Mother Teresa was up for sainthood?

Nope. I think it is up to that hierarchy in the church. I believe a committee is appointed to hear all the petitions for people up for sainthood.

Yeah, sometimes I consider it a miricle just to get up in the morning!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:20 PM

Halloween is just a bad excuse to get sick off of candy. But, the costumes can be fun. However, I have no children and no friends that have parties for these things b/c they all have children. Too bad.

We do it up rigth with my friends! If you dress up, you can come to OKC and hang with us. There are peeps that can vouch that I'm fun.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:22 PM

Its a miracle one of us hasn't ended up dead from posting in the watercooler and offending untold posters

My sister always lucks out at Christmas b/c she can give presents out that are framed pictures of her children -- a great way to save money. Or, she will do something fun with the kids (crafts and such) and give them out. Last year she made a birdhouse and stamped their hands and feet on it. How the heck do I save money like that?

Yeah, sometimes I consider it a miricle just to get up in the morning!

::joke forthcoming:: Saint Nanwa! (actually as long as that miracle keeps occuring you can't become sainted - remember being dead is a requirement)

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:23 PM

PR, you are correct! All beleivers are considered to be saints - that is, the way certain factions of Christianity read the NT. As is my experience with pentecostal.

What I am saying is Santa Claus has no more to do with the real reason for Christmas than the Easter Bunny with the Resurrection. Both characters were devised to allow people to enjoy the holidays and share the loving and giving spirit in a non-religious manner.

Actually, the timing of Christmas was stolen from the pagean celebration of the winter solstice. Since Christians didn't want to offend the masses by taking away the celebration, they decided to incorporate the religious observance into the celebration. Same with Easter. The name Easter has to do with the pagean celebration of rebirth and renewal with the springtime. By combining the celebration of the religious with the pagean, more people are happy.

actually making more people happy wasn't the motivation. It was really that if you make your holidays when they are already celebrating it makes it easier for you to "adjust" them. much like how they built their churches over the old holy places since the people were used to coming there already. Has nothing to do with appealing to the masses so much as easing assimilation...

Back to the original reason for this thread - I am fully expecting to see Christmas decorations out at Labor Day! The marketers always start sales ahead of the seasons, like swimsuits in April and school supplies and winter clothes in July, but they keep moving Christmas up. Used to be, Christmas shopping began the day after Thanksgiving. Then, right after Halloween.

As soon as Christmas is over, they start putting out the Valentine's candy.

My internal calendar is all off!

Is that supposed to be Oklahoma City? I am just not sure what OKC means.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:27 PM

Maybe it's the OK Corral.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:27 PM

PR - I agree, I am sure I offend alot of people, but I don't mean to. I am just me, and many times say more than I should.
But I refuse to be offended by anyone else. If I am, I walk away.

Xodus - Yes, it did ease the assimilation; not like the Borg would do!

Auditguy - Saint Nanwa? That'll be the day!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:30 PM

Ok... i have tried to get this thing back on track... not working.

Re: Halloween - 09/26/07 06:31 PM

Since it's much too early to be discussing Christmas gifts, perhaps we should talk about Halloween costume ideas?

My department at the office has decided our group theme this year will be 'Survivor.' That should be easy...just thrown on my refugee pants and a swimsuit top.

Re: Halloween - 09/26/07 06:32 PM

Since it's much too early to be discussing Christmas gifts, perhaps we should talk about Halloween costume ideas?

My department at the office has decided our group theme this year will be 'Survivor.' That should be easy...just thrown on my refugee pants and a swimsuit top.

who's going to be richard hatch??

Re: Halloween - 09/26/07 06:32 PM

Becka, or go naked and covered in mud, as it looks like from the commericals this week!

Re: Halloween - 09/26/07 06:33 PM

That's fun. But, that could also be a little scarey if people take it too far!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:34 PM

Is that supposed to be Oklahoma City? I am just not sure what OKC means.

LOL ... sorry about that. Yes, Oklahoma City.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:36 PM

That's a good guess for me then. I am a little slow at times!
Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Re: Halloween - 09/26/07 06:37 PM

We're not dressing up at work, but my cousin and I are taking our kids out trick or treating. Her baby is going to be a banana, her three year old is going to be a gorilla, and my son (he'll be 10) is going to be Tarzan. It should be pretty cute.

Re: Halloween - 09/26/07 06:37 PM

Becka, or go naked and covered in mud, as it looks like from the commericals this week!

that's actually a great idea. Becka, you could find a nude leotard and paint brown on it for the mud. Kinda reminds me of Dips costume last year. I loved it!

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:37 PM

who's going to be richard hatch??

Nobody!

Actually, it was discussed that the idea is for people to dress as if they were going to be contestants - not to dress up as current or previous contestants.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Cheekee Monkey

that's actually a great idea. Becka, you could find a nude leotard and paint brown on it for the mud. Kinda reminds me of Dips costume last year. I loved it!

Hmmm...I do have a nude cami...

I told them we should all have those buffs that some women wear like tube tops on the show, but instead they decided just to give us bandannas.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 06:41 PM

Oh then you need to wear a 1/2 torn dress and one shoe.

My roomie is going to be Wonder Woman and I think I'm going to be Super Girl.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 07:01 PM

If you want to be Richard Hatch, would you wear a prison jumpsuit?
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 07:02 PM

My 4 year old son wants to be a fish - he is addicted to fishing. I am going to make him a large mouth bass costume. I may go as a fisherman, or dress my 12 year old daughter up as a fisherman.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 07:04 PM

6 yo Son - Blade Ninja

4 yo daughter - Princess Aurora (she even bought her own costume!)

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 07:04 PM

Your daughter could always be a mermaid if she didn't want to be a fisherman.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
6 yo Son - Blade Ninja

4 yo daughter - Princess Aurora (she even bought her own costume!)

My 4yo had enough dress up items that i'm not buying anything. She has her choice between a Dr, Fireman and a host of Princesses.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Cheekee Monkey

My roomie is going to be Wonder Woman and I think I'm going to be Super Girl.

I always wanted to be Wonder Woman, because she was my heroine from the comics and I had long, dark, wavy hair. But I was a scrawny kid. Then, when I filled out and had the figure to wear the costume, I was too self concious to wear such a skimpy costume. Now, that I am no longer self concious about wearing a skimpy costume, my figure is gone, my hair is short and much of it is gray. I missed my opportunity!

Do these white stars make my butt look big?

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 08:22 PM

Well my roomie is amazon tall with legs for days and long black hair so I think it would be fun. She's much taller than I am I look like a kid next her anyways.

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 08:22 PM

you could join the retired legion of super heroes....

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 08:23 PM

you could join the retired legion of super heroes....

I'd need a mask or cowl or something!
Posted By: Sing A Little

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 08:25 PM

I have no idea what to be for Halloween. I always to try and incorporate comfortable clothes into the costume so I violate the dress code for the day.

Last year I was a hamster. I turned my office into a giant hamster cage (hamster wheel, water bottle, etc.) and dressed up in sweats with a little nose and ears. It was comfortable and everyone had a good laugh.
Posted By: RebekahL CRCM

Re: Christmas - 09/26/07 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Sing A Little
I have no idea what to be for Halloween. I always to try and incorporate comfortable clothes into the costume so I violate the dress code for the day.

Our whole department did that one year with a theme of "Dress Code Violators". Sure, it was an obvious vehicle to dress comfy for the day, but it turned out to be a hit! Some dressed in the obvious no-no's like jeans, sweats, and sneakers, but others were more subtle in taking jabs at the dress code. Capris, fake tatoos, wrinkled clothing, and over-the-top makeup & hairdo's were pretty fun.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Christmas - 09/27/07 11:41 AM

I thought this was about Christmas???!!!
Posted By: pjs

Re: Christmas - 09/27/07 11:53 AM

How much does everyone decorate for Christmas? Inside and outside the home?

I love to take my mom Christmas shopping and help her with her shopping. I get to see too first hand what the other family members are getting. It's fun and mom always has fun with me too!!!

Re: Christmas - 09/27/07 12:32 PM

I used to put tons of lights outside my house in WI, then had to scramble to get them down before we headed south to FL. Now that the folks have passed away, we have no reason to stay in WI for Christmas, so we head to FL earlier. Last year in FL, I put up lights along the roof and on all the shrubs, plus a lit up deer on the lawn, and I was wearing a tank top and short! Amazing to be able to do that job and not have freezing fingers and snapping the plastic hooks because of the cold! Another bonus: I could leave the lights up as long as I wanted; no rush to get them down.

The down side: in WI, we always cut a fresh tree, about 6 feet tall. In FL, there aren't any fresh trees, so I had a short 2 foot artificial tree. I miss the big tree; I have so many nice ornaments we've received as gifts over the years, plus all my Packer ornaments and Star Trek Hallmark ornaments. But I don't have much space in FL to store a large tree and all the decorations. They'd melt in the attic.

Great decorations for any holiday that store in a small space are window clings. I love them! They come in all sizes and styles, and you can decorate a large window, or just put a little candy cane or sprig of holly on the bathroom mirror.

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 04:38 PM

Okay 2 gifts down. For you NASCAR fans, what do you think of these Jr shirts?

T-Shirt 1

T-Shirt 2

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 04:43 PM

Oh I love them both.
Personally I like the 2nd one the best. But my hubby would like the first.

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 05:05 PM

I liked the 2nd one too. I got the first one because it didnt have his number on it. NASCAR.com is having a sale on a bunch of their stuff. I'm going to order more, some of his shirts have 3 or 4 holes in each of them.
Posted By: Clown Boy

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 05:07 PM

Okay 2 gifts down. For you NASCAR fans, what do you think of these Jr shirts?

T-Shirt 1

T-Shirt 2

I think they'd look alot better with the number 24 on them.

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 05:11 PM

I think either will make great dust rags.
Posted By: Sing A Little

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 05:11 PM

I love to decorate for holidays, luckily my hubby doesn't seem to mind. I have at least one box for every holiday...don't even ask how many I have for Christmas. LOL

For Christmas I put up lights and decorations in the windows and on the shrubs. Instead of having one large tree, I like to have 2-3 small trees so I can enjoy them around the house.

I have a very large family, so I usually make gift baskets of baked goodies (cookies, brownies, candy, etc.) for everyone, and then maybe a few small gifts for some people.

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 05:12 PM

The first one is too Hendrick Motor Sports. 2nd one is really cool though! Of course, I'll take any Tony Stewart shirt over either of them!

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 05:57 PM

In Wisconsin, I always put up a large tree, icicle lights hanging from the front window drape rods, lighted snowflakes in the windows, pine garland with small multi-colored lights on the front of the house, multi colored lights on the bushes, driveway lamposts and garden fence (lots of extension cords!), little ornaments on the valance of the curtains, window clings, the Nativity set, and of course, my snowman collection. That includes 4 stuffed snowmen, one wooden, one glass candle holder and towels.

Now in Florida, I don't have the storage space, so much of that is gone. Outdoor lights, window clings and a small tree, with a couple of towels and knick-knacks is about all I can do at this point. I am pushing for two options: we move to a bigger house, or we put on an addition, just for a few storage rooms. I could fill one room with all my decorations for Patriotic holidays, Halloween and Christmas.

Re: Christmas - 09/28/07 06:15 PM

I know better to not get him another driver. I'm a closet Jr. fan....

I started decorating for Halloween with my pumpkin candles from Bath and Body Works. If you love the smell of pumpkin, I recommend their candles and wall flowers. I'm so excited, this is my favorite time of the year.