Ohio State v LSU in BCS???

Posted By: HappyGilmore

Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 07:20 PM

LSU has a pretty breezy schedule for the next 3 weeks, then the SEC chanpionship, most likely against Georgia. Not sure who Ohio State has left to play, but probably a bunch of nobodies, that is what they have had all year. Could be interesting...
Posted By: rainman

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 07:24 PM

If this past weekend's performance is an indicator, Oregon should be ahead of LSU in the BCS.
Posted By: Blessed

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 07:27 PM

Yeah um okay Happy.... I will try to be nice here.. Who does Ohio have left to play?? Well the one that has importance would be the wolverines who have an excellent chance of beating them and knocking them down a knotch.
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 07:29 PM

<~~ what here2lrn said! (GO BLUE!!)
Posted By: UofMiiichigan

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 07:37 PM

Oregon & Kansas BCS!!!

Michigan will beat OSU!!!
and I hope to god LSU and Oklahoma will lose again!!
Posted By: kms

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 07:39 PM

I can't see LSU going the distance, they were lucky they won that game sat. I like oregon and ohio state
Posted By: Ops

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 07:56 PM

LSU will win out.. only game they have to have a care in the world about is the SEC Championship, and I don't think either Georgia OR Tennessee can take 'em. If it'd be either of the two, it's be Tennessee. UT has a knack for knocking of LSU when unexpected.

Bring any team to the SEC and they'll be a two loss team at least. LSU all the way.
Posted By: GLKS

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 08:29 PM

Out of the remaining teams I think have a chance (LSU, Oregon, Ohio State, and Kansas) I see every body potentially losing another game except Oregon. In the games I have watched them play, LSU hasn't been particularly impressive (although out of this group I would say they have the most difficult schedule). Michigan is not the same team that lost to Appalachian State, and I think they are capable of beating OSU. Kansas still has Mizzou and the Big XII championship. Hopefully that will be a moot point after my Cyclones hand them another one of this season's signature stunning losses (a man can dream, right?)

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 08:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah um okay Happy.... I will try to be nice here.. Who does Ohio have left to play?? Well the one that has importance would be the wolverines

is this the same wolverines who lost to Appalachian State? Michigan is nowhere near the same league as OSU, I'm guessing that will be at least a 30 point margin.
Posted By: UofMiiichigan

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 08:41 PM

There is no way that there will be a 30 point spread between OSU and Michigan. OSU just hasn't played anyone difficult. Granted Michigan lost to App state. There only other loss is to Oregon which personally I think is the best team in the Nation. I hope Hart sits again against Wisconsin, just so that he can run over 200 yards against OSU.

Maize and Blue for Life!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 08:42 PM

Kori - you must not watch much LSU football. They have been behind 8 of their last 13 wins under Les Miles...in the 4th quarter. They have a game plan they stick to, and it is very effective. They do not go into panic mode. I don't belive there is luck involved, especially with all the Alabama alumni that were dressed as zebras in that game. 13 penalties against, 2 for. Puhleeze...

BCS rankings
Posted By: Blessed

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/05/07 08:56 PM

I totally agree with harty and Brent. Go Blue!

Oh and just for good measure......

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/06/07 12:46 AM

No Happy I don't watch much of it, and what I saw was going to put me to sleep so I switched to the Oregon game. My BF told me though that LSU alway seems to come back and win.

I don't think there is anyway that Michigan will beat Ohio State. They are trying to redeem themselves but I think they are lucky to be ranked as high as they are.
Posted By: B_F

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/06/07 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent
There is no way that there will be a 30 point spread between OSU and Michigan. OSU just hasn't played anyone difficult. Granted Michigan lost to App state. There only other loss is to Oregon which personally I think is the best team in the Nation. I hope Hart sits again against Wisconsin, just so that he can run over 200 yards against OSU.

Maize and Blue for Life!

I think it's funny how everyone wants to act like Appalacian State isn't a tough opponent. They have a good team every year, and they had a chip on their shoulder going in against Michigan.

Not only that, but even if Michigan hadn't won a single game all season, and OSU had been undefeated, overlooking Michigan just shouldn't happen. When you have a rivalry as fierce as these two teams do, anything can happen on any given Saturday. That's why it is always a good game.
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 08:11 PM

LSU is going to get tripped up one of these days. They have been lucky so far. Sorry, but I just don't like Les Miles. Didn't like him when he was at O-State and don't like him now. He is still living high on someone else's recruits. I just hope they all get beat so my Sooners can move up.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 08:52 PM

Quote:
He is still living high on someone else's recruits

the last of Saban's recruits are seniors, so that is not entirely true.

Quote:
Sorry, but I just don't like Les Miles

was he mean to you in a prior life?

Quote:
I just hope they all get beat so my Sooners can move up.

as GW 1 said..."not gonna happen, wouldn't be prudent"

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 09:00 PM

Sooners aren't national championship worthy at ALL this year.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 09:28 PM

Go Big Red!!!! oops we got killed this weekend!!!
Posted By: X O

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 10:09 PM

i am not sure anybody other than oregon can be declared championship worthy this year

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 10:12 PM

LSU up 10-9 on tulane at the half, squeeks out wins vs florida auburn, and alabama and lose to kentucky.

Ohio St won the ohio state championship in the nonconferance...

Kansas, has yet to play, much less beat a top 25 team.

Oklahoma, lost a bad game at CU, beat BCS #6 missouri and #14 texas.

Oregon lost to Cal, but are the best team around.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 10:52 PM

Quote:
LSU up 10-9 on tulane at the half, squeeks out wins vs florida auburn, and alabama

but still won

Quote:
lose to kentucky.

ranked Top 25, was higher at time of loss

Quote:
Oregon lost to Cal

Cal not even ranked...yep, good arguement

The SEC has 6 teams ranked in the top 25, no other conference comes close. Let the Pac-10 teams play real games every week, they have 3 ranked in the top 25. Hardly worthy of a comparison.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 11:33 PM

CBS Sportsline Strength of Schedule Rankings (yes, I know I'm stretching):

LSU: 9
Oregon: 2
Ohio State: 46
Oklahoma: 55

Oddly enough, the team they say has the hardest schedule: NC State - huh?

Anyway, Happy, the bottom line is Oregon's schedule stacks up pretty well against LSU. (Sagarin ranks LSU 12 and Oregon 13 on SOS.)

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 11:40 PM

sorry rainman, I only pay attention to statistics that further prove my point...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/07/07 11:40 PM

But that would make you a liberal . . .

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 01:04 AM

LMAO!!! Sorry but that rocks
Posted By: TheManofSteel

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 02:42 AM

Quote:
[/quote]sorry rainman, I only pay attention to statistics that further prove my point...[quote][quote]

Originally Posted By: rainman

This is classic!!!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 02:17 PM

Quote:

ack...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: XO XO XODUS
LSU up 10-9 on tulane at the half, squeeks out wins vs florida auburn, and alabama and lose to kentucky.

UF, AU, Bama, & UK.. all ranked Top 25.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 02:58 PM

Cal was #2 in the country when oregon lost to them, you can't apply kentucky was higher then and not apply Cal was higher then...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 03:01 PM

1. Ohio State (60) 10-0 1,616
2. LSU (5) 8-1 1,523
3. Oregon 8-1 1,517
4. Oklahoma 8-1 1,421
5. Kansas 9-0 1,329
6. West Virginia 7-1 1,327
7. Missouri 8-1 1,260
8. Boston College 8-1 1,051
9. Arizona State 8-1 1,042
10. Georgia 7-2 1,021
11. Virginia Tech 7-2 923
12. USC 7-2 817
13. Michigan 8-2 783
14. Hawaii 8-0 776
15. Texas 8-2 735
16. Connecticut 8-1 665
17. Florida 6-3 623
18. Auburn 7-3 611
19. Boise State 8-1 372
20. Clemson 7-2 340
21. Alabama 6-3 335
22. Tennessee 6-3 245
23. Virginia 8-2 212
24. California 6-3 127
24. Kentucky 6-3 127
Others Receiving Votes
Florida State 89, Cincinnati 68, Brigham Young 44, Penn State 38, Illinois 27, Arkansas 20, Wisconsin 12, South Florida 11, Wake Forest 8, South Carolina 6, Purdue 3, Troy 1.
Dropped From Rankings
South Florida 20, Wake Forest 21.
Complete Rankings

so LSU beat the 17, 18, 21, and lost to #24
Oregon beat 9, 12, 13, and lost to #24

yeah I see how you're right happy....

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 03:17 PM

let's not forget that LSU beat South Carolina, who was ranked #9 at the time, and you left off VT, who was #9 at the time...

so, LSU has 5 victories against top 25 teams, one loss

versus Oregon with 3 victories against top 25 and 1 loss...

yep, your right again

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 03:21 PM

I love when folks turn a blind eye to the SEC being the toughest conference in the country. Even analysts finally recongize that.. fans outside of the SEC will never.

I'm convinced the BCS is only out there to make people argue.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 04:50 PM

ooo, i did forget about vt. I don't really care what somebody was ranked when, all that matters is what they are ranked now. so SCar is worthless. You can base your glories on over hyped frauds if you want to. Analysts don't think the SEC is the best conferance, they still say the Pac-10. The SEC is a good conferance sure, but you're just as guilty of believing you are better than you are as everybody else is. You see I live in Oklahoma and making the case for Oregon, maybe I have a broader viewpoint than you think. You want to know how good your conferance is? check bowl results on Jan 10th. if your teams go over .500 ok, if they win over .633 then your talking, win all your bowl games and truly you are magnificent, but all this talk about how two mediocre teams beating each other proves your conferance is great is ridiculous... That would be like me saying OU beat the #6 and #14 BCS teams. And will play either the #4 or #6 team later so obviously the big 12 twelve is the best conferance because we have 4 teams in the top 15. and two weeks ago we had 6 in the top 25 were we the best conferance in the country then?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 04:54 PM

last year the SEC was 5-3 in bowl games with wins over clemson, houston, nebraska, va tech, and Ohio st for the title. truly a good year.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 04:56 PM

Nope, because SEC has had 7 teams in the top 25 week after week.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:04 PM

Bowl records for the SEC

2006-2007 5-3
2005-2006 3-3
2004-2005 3-3
2003-2004 6-1, and a national title
2002-2003 3-4
2001-2002 5-3

total 25-17, a nice .600 win %

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:08 PM

Xodus, are you arguing against yourself? I guess that is one way to win your arguement...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:15 PM

i am not arguing anything presenting facts. for every year that the SEC is the best conference half the time they finish .500 in bowl games thats not very best conferance like. I don't have to argue how bad LSU is their play shows it. you can be a homer if you want, that's your right.

and for those who think polls really mean anything realize that Kansas is #4 and then realize that pollsters are idiots. and that applies to your team too whoever it is...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:39 PM

Quote:
I don't have to argue how bad LSU is their play shows it. you can be a homer if you want, that's your right.

you're so right, a team that is 8-1 overall, 5-1 in conference against 6 top 25 ranked teams is pathetic...and how silly of me to compare where the team was ranked when we played them, it only matters where they are today...I'll never listen to another college football analysts again, I'll just listen to you...thank you for the insight

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:45 PM

michigan lost to appalachian st when they were the #5 team in the country, then lost to oregon and fell out of the top 25, if they win out they will be around #6 what's the truth of their ranking?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:50 PM

based on the accepted system of ranking (accepted by everyone but you, I guess), sounds like around #6...

is the ranking system infallible? Not even close. But unless college football opts for a true playoff system, there will always be speculation

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:52 PM

so you accept the rankings as they are? you accept kansas at #4? OU at #5, and missouri @ #7? cause if so then clearly with 3 top 10 teams the big 12 is the best conferance....
Posted By: pjs

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:53 PM

Any team that beats Ohio State I will love forever!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: pjs

You're the woman, Patrice.. you're the woman.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 06:06 PM

Quote:
so you accept the rankings as they are? you accept kansas at #4? OU at #5, and missouri @ #7? cause if so then clearly with 3 top 10 teams the big 12 is the best conferance....

with 3 in the top 10, are they the best? Where do the other 7 teams fall? Ranked at all? That is like saying that with OSU ranked number 1, and excluding all other teams, the Big 10 rules. However, 5 of 11 teams in the Big 10 (time to rename, don't you think) are at 500 or worse, so I don't think you can support that claim.

Big 12 has 4 in the top 25, SEC has 7. 25% are ranked versus 60% ranked. I'll take the 60% any day.
Posted By: Comp Guy No More

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 06:15 PM

The college ranking system sucks. They should go to a playoff system, clearly. Why don't they? Because top draft prospects from the best schools may not get the exposure needed?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 06:19 PM

I really think folks should just give up the playoff idea.. it'll never happen.
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: pjs

OSU better not over look Illinois this weekend. (I love that I can say that again) Illinois has played really well against tough run defenses (that option spread is awesome) - and they were close to beating them last year - granted Champaign is a LOT different from Columbus, but Illinois will be able to hang with them, but will need some good breaks.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 06:44 PM

Quote:
but will need some good breaks.

yeah, like OSU's bus breaking down on the way to the satdium and not getting there until halftime

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 06:49 PM

the big 10 err 11 is a fraud i grant you that happy. and your point about who's not in the 25 is very valid. so if 7 of the sec teams are in the top 25 and 5 are in the bottom 10 are they better than a conferance that has 4 top 15, 6 between 25-75, and 2, below 75?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/08/07 10:01 PM

is that an "if a=b and b=c then a=c" analysis?
Posted By: Bankster

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:11 PM

If OSU and Kansas win-out, then they should be in the National Championship Game. The system is supposed to reward the two best teams in the BCS conferences. If there are only two undefeated teams, then they should obviously be in the big game. Leaving-out an undefeated team for a one-loss team would be a fraud.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:14 PM

flawed logic, as Hawaii is also sitting undefeated. How do you determine which goes if 3 or more are undefeated. Anyone remember 2003? And if you just use won/lost record, everyone will start scheduling Notre Dame each week, and be guaranteed to be undefeated

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:19 PM

i agree, but if Kansas does go undefeated that would mean they beat Missouri and OU to finish the season this would provide some validation to how good they are. However, I think they lose this week and end that line of talk....

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:34 PM

Kinda like BYU moaning and groaning in '01 when they were 12-0 and not even top 5. THey went on to lose their last two games.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:38 PM

Hawaii hasn't played anyone!!!!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:47 PM

Quote:

in the analogy listed above, strength of schedule is not a consideration

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:48 PM

Quote:
Kinda like BYU moaning and groaning in '01 when they were 12-0 and not even top 5

or Boise State for a number of years

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:50 PM

Hawaii isn't in a BCS conference. They are only eligible for an at-large bid to the BCS bowl games, kind of like Utah and Boise State in the past few years. If there are three undefeated teams from BCS conferences, then you go to all of the other criteria like rakings, strength of schedule, whatever. But if there are only two undefeated teams from the BCS conferences, then you have to take those teams, or the whole system is a joke...which it is. I'm for a play-off but don't see that happening anytime soon.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 02:51 PM

I am for a playoff system too, this ranking c r a p is for the birds.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:02 PM

I myself am not on the playoff bandwagon. Everybody wants to know who the "best team" is, but that is not always knowable. Is what we have now always appropriate? Noooo... but a playoff (even more than in b-ball) would only prove who won the most playoff games. Especially after the big upsets that happened this year. Let's say in a playoff situation, somehow ($$$) USC gets included and goes all the way and Hawaii is left out. But wait a minute, wouldn't it still be true that USC lost to Stanford? I would rather have a 12-0 1984 BYU type team be rewarded than to have a 9-3 team get hot in the playoffs and end up "#1".

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:06 PM

Like I said.. give up on the playoff. It won't happen. Too many people are making too much money off of this scheme. I disagree with the undefeated.. but that's just my personal opinion.

I'd have the same opinion of Kansas if they weren't BCS. Just like I would have had the same opinion on BYU, Boise State, or Utah. It's a joke.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:20 PM

I'm with harty. I want to see teams win on the field, I'm much more interested in my team winning their own conference against their own rivals, than some match-up with some school half-way across the country that I don't really care about, that was determined by money and a computer, that takes place a month after anyone plays a meaningful game.

My ideal play-off, if you must have one champion, would be to take the conference champions from the BCS conferences, and have a play-off. Of course the blow-hards from the SEC would argue that they have three or four teams better than some conferences champions, but too bad.
Posted By: Comp Guy No More

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: DSchrute
Of course the blow-hards from the SEC would argue that they have three or four teams better than some conferences champions, but too bad.

The AFC could say the same of the NFC Champions!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:24 PM

My ideal play-off, if you must have one champion, would be to take the conference champions from the BCS conferences, and have a play-off. Of course the blow-hards from the SEC would argue that they have three or four teams better than some conferences champions, but too bad.

*Actually*.. As a hardcore (or blow-hard as you put it) SEC fan.. Your idea isn't so bad. Perhaps you should ask before you assume.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:27 PM

Quote:
Of course the blow-hards from the SEC would argue that they have three or four teams better than some conferences champions, but too bad

if you're referring to the college football analysts across the country who espouse this...well, they would be right.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:30 PM

As for 3 or 4 teams in the SEC being better.. I *do* agree with Happy. But at least when the SEC Champion won the playoffs more often than not, folks would shut up.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:30 PM

unless they were USC...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:38 PM

This is true. Or Ohio State.. Or Oklahoma..

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:54 PM

No one made the SEC expand to the size that they are. No one made them start a money grab, I mean conference championship game. So quit complaining about how tough it is to go undefeated in that league. I'm sick of hearing about how much tougher that league is than everyone else. I know that South Florida won at Auburn this year. West Virginia spanked Miss State this year. Penn State beats Tennessee in a bowl game every couple of years. I'm sure you can recite plenty of other SEC wins over the other conferences, but how much better can they really be, and who really knows or cares.

Take care of your own business. LSU lost a game. Ohio State and Kansas have not. Is LSU the best one-loss team? possibly, but you can't put them over an undefeated BCS conference team.

I wasn't calling all SEC fans blowhards...I'm sure there are a couple of rational individuals down there.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:57 PM

Take care of your own business. LSU lost a game. Ohio State and Kansas have not. Is LSU the best one-loss team? possibly, but you can't put them over an undefeated BCS conference team.

I most certainly can.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 03:59 PM

Quote:
but you can't put them over an undefeated BCS conference team.

we haven't, the BCS has. Your arguement should be with the BCS, not the toughest conference in NCAA football.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 04:21 PM

I can't argue with the BCS, just you guys. But how can you argue with 90,000 people that show-up for a spring practice game, or all the people that are now naming their kids Saban or Tebow.

I actually feel the same way about Big East basketball. It's such a strong conference that they beat each other up all year, and even the really good teams end-up with 3 or 4 losses. I guess I'm just not a passionate about it

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 04:36 PM

Quote:
90,000 people that show-up for a spring practice game

I believe your exaggerating this number by about 50,000...as far as people naming their kids Saban or Tebow, although I've not heard of anyone doing that, those people would need to get a life.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 04:40 PM

Now those who've named their kids Peyton, on the other hand....

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 04:43 PM

official numbers reported by the schools...except where noted.

1) Alabama 92,138
2) Florida 47,500
3) South Carolina 35,153
4) Auburn 31,757
5) Georgia 21,407
6) Tennessee 17,409
7) Ole Miss 17,000
8) LSU 14,375
9) Mississippi State 5,800 (no official number)
10) Kentucky 5,000
11) Arkansas 3,000-5,000 (no official number)
12) Vanderbilt 2,000

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/09/07 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Quote:

If strength of schedule doesn't count, then why do they keep saying that OU is ranked low in the BCS due to strength of schedule????

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/10/07 11:34 PM

Quote:
but will need some good breaks.

yeah, like OSU's bus breaking down on the way to the satdium and not getting there until halftime

Statement win.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/10/07 11:38 PM

Who is Ohio State?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/11/07 02:12 AM

some crappy team that lost to an unranked illinois...looks like teh buckeyes are snakeyes now...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/11/07 03:47 AM

I'm sure dscrote will have another reason LSU shouldn't be ranked #1...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/11/07 03:50 AM

snip

Quote:
Who will be No. 1 now? Maybe, LSU -- again. The Tigers lost as the top-ranked team to Kentucky earlier in the season. Count Oregon, Oklahoma, Missouri and even West Virginia among the others happy to see the Buckeyes get beat. All now have a better chance at reaching the national title game, thanks to coach Ron Zook's Illini.

Posted By: Pup

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/11/07 06:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Quote:

If strength of schedule doesn't count, then why do they keep saying that OU is ranked low in the BCS due to strength of schedule????

Strength of SCHEDULE counts very much....it's strength of WIN that isn't supposed to count. For example, OU beat Baylor 52-21 and it's not supposed to be any better than winning 24-21.
Posted By: pjs

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/11/07 12:01 PM

I love Illinois forever!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/11/07 10:11 PM

Quote:

strength of schedule counts very much. But the suggestion, which I was replying to, was only won-loss record should count, and not strenhtg of schedule.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/11/07 10:32 PM

when does the ranking come out?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/12/07 12:10 AM

I definitely think that the strength of schedule should be a big factor when trying to determine what team is having a stronger season. With no ranked opponents, a 10-0 team hasn't been tested like one that is 10-0, having defeated 2 or 3 ranked teams. It does and should make a big difference. The out of conference schedule is sooooo important!! Look at Ohio State and Texas playing each other in back-to-back seasons. You know that win over OSU helped lift Texas to its shot (and subsequent win) at the National Championship a couple years back.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/12/07 04:09 AM

Harris, AP both out today. LSU is ranked #1 in each. BCS comes out some time tomorrow.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/12/07 05:02 AM

Actually.. BCS is already out. Look Here

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/12/07 07:12 PM

gee, LSU ranked #1 in all 4 polls...probably using skewed data to make these decisions, or all the voters are whiny SEC fans...
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/12/07 07:49 PM

I'd love to see LSU and Oregon play for the National Championship. However, Oregon has got be holding their breath:

1. Kansas beats Missouri and then Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship. They would undefeated. I bet they skip over Oregon (and should be rated #1 if they beat those two teams). I bet they don't get past Missouri though.

2. Missouri beats Kansas and then Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship. BCS experts are saying they'll skip Oregon in the BCS rankings.

3. Oklahoma wins the Big XII championship. There's a chance they could skip Oregon, but not as likely as scenario #2. Depends on the "quality" of the win.

What stinks is Oregon has 2 [censored] games left. LSU has a SEC Championship and Kansas/Missouri will play Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship. Every league should have a championship game or none. If the Big XII winner skips Oregon, maybe the Pac 10 will figure that out.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 12:40 AM

FWIW, I think Oregon has the toughest team in the country. As a Sooner fan, I'd LOVE to have a chance to beat them in the Championship!!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 03:21 PM

the pac 10 doesnt need a championship game because every team plays every other team in the conferance. LSU's first half against La TEch proved to me how good they are. My bad fellas.... Also quality win against Alabama looks really strong now....

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 03:26 PM

Oh and Auburn too, don't forget that great win....

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 04:02 PM

new top 25

5 SEC
4 Big 12
3 Pac 10
5 Big 10

looks pretty balanced except the Big 12 has 3 in the top 5 and 4 in the top 13. realistically it could happen that OU if they win out could be the only team in the country who beats 3 bcs top 10 teams... At the same time LSU can have 2. Oregon will have 1 most likely.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 04:09 PM

and yet if OU, LSU, and Oregon all win out, it will still probably be LSU and Oregon in the championship. very unfortunate

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 04:11 PM

I think it's completely fortunate.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 04:13 PM

at this point LSU does have the best loss of the 3 since Kentucky is still ranked...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 04:14 PM

Which should count more - best loss or best wins?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: rainman
Which should count more - best loss or best wins?

Both, along with strength of schedule.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 04:17 PM

The SEC will tell you best loss because their teams are so good...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 04:21 PM

<--- SEC, and I say both.
Posted By: Jokerman

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 05:53 PM

Apparently best loss, thus explaining how Kansas could possibly be ranked so high.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 05:59 PM

I thought Kansas would lose this week but no, I think ESPN said they haven't beaten a team who currently has a winning record all year....

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 06:47 PM

Their best win is at K-State.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 08:52 PM

I'm sure dscrote will have another reason LSU shouldn't be ranked #1...

Ahh, I feel the same way I did last week. If a team goes undefeated in a BCS conference, they shouldn't be ranked below a one-loss team. Soooo if Kansas wins-out they should by-pass everyone else, in my opinion. I still think the current system stinks, much like most other people have expressed somewhere in here, probably even you. But now you are goose-stepping around because the system moved LSU to #1, coming off a great win over LA Tech. That must have really boosted the old strength of schedule.

And also, either your spelling stinks, you made a weak attempt at humor, or you have been spending too much time in front of your tax-payer funded air conditioner to tell the difference between Schrute and Scrote.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 09:00 PM

Oh, yay.. Kansas v. Hawaii would be a *swell* game.

*rolls her eyes*

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 09:42 PM

Quote:
But now you are goose-stepping around because the system moved LSU to #1

no goose stepping at all. I've previously posted that without a true playoff system, that rankings will always be suspect. My thoughts on that haven't changed. At the same time, I've also said that people with far greater knowledge of the game than I, people who do nothing but analyze, coach, or write about football 24/7 have aligned and said here are the 4 polls for ranking. All 4 now agree that LSU is #1, just as all 4 previously agreed that OSU is #1.

you can choose to disagree with it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that it is what it is.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 10:11 PM

but the mere fact that a week ago those people thought that OSU was #1 is the best indictment against said process...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 10:14 PM

Actually XO, I think the fact that those people previously thought that South Fla. and BC were top 5 material is the best indictment against said process.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 10:20 PM

and cal,

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 11:48 PM

OK, it took some research to back up my claim, but here goes: The #1 team should be Iowa State. Consider:

Cons:
1. 3-8 record so far

Pros:
1. Strength of schedule: ISU has played BCS #4 Oklahoma, #5 Missouri, #13 Texas, and has a showdown on Saturday with #3 Kansas. Also, I should mention they played Northern Iowa, the #1 team in Div 1-AA.
1a. ISU opponents have a combined 19 National Championships and 11 Heisman Trophy winners.
2. "Best Loss": Iowa State led Oklahoma (widely considered the best team in the Big XII) 7-0 going into the third quarter, and in fact did not give up the lead until the game was into the forth quarter
3. The transitive property of College Football: ISU beat Colorado who beat Oklahoma (which as already mentioned is considered the "best team" in the Conference). ISU also beat Iowa, who beat Illinois, who beat the former #1 Ohio State. ISU (again) beat Iowa, who beat Syracuse, who beat Loisville, who beat Cincinnati, who beat Oregon State, who beat California, who beat Tenessee, who beat South Carolina, who beat Kentucky, who beat Current #1 LSU. The only team that ISU played that is undefeated is Northern Iowa, however, the Panthers play not only in Div 1-AA, but also the Gateway Conference, which has yet to be recognized as a BCS conference.
4. Most Dominant Mascot: Earlier this year, the Cyclones were cosen by a CBS Sportsline online tournament/poll as having the most dominate collegiate mascot.
5. I am an alumnus and huge Cyclone homer.

As you can see, the Pros far outweigh the Cons, and the facts are irrefutable. I look forward to seeing who our opponent is in the NC game.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 11:52 PM

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people who don't think that Kansas belongs has never seen them play. Folks, they are flat-out good. I am pretty confident that OU and Kansas will play in the Big XII Championship game and that whoever wins that should be in the National Championship game, especially with the current rankings of top 4 teams in the Big XII. If Kansas gets by Missouri and OU, they will have proven that they belong there, having defeated two top 5 teams.

My knock on LSU is simply that they have come sooooooo close to losing on multiple occasions. On one hand, they have gritted out wins in difficult situations, but on the other hand, they have put themselves in those positions all to often.

We'll see how it shakes out. Maybe Missouri knocks off Kansas and ends this whole discussion. Maybe OU loses to Missouri in the Big XII anyway. But maybe LSU loses in the SEC as well. It's hard to say. I still think that Oregon is the toughest game out there with OU right at their heels.

I don't think that there is a team out there that has the offensive weapons that OU has. Bradford is the most underrated QB in the league, his WR's and TE's are top-tier, and the RB's are very, very good. The OLine is young and playing beyond their years, and the defense, as a whole, is an excellent unit.

I'm worried about Dixon (Oregon). He seems to be the 2nd coming of Vince Young, and we Sooner fans know what Young was able to do.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/13/07 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: harty
OK, it took some research to back up my claim, but here goes: The #1 team should be Iowa State. Consider:

Cons:
1. 3-8 record so far

Pros:
1. Strength of schedule: ISU has played BCS #4 Oklahoma, #5 Missouri, #13 Texas, and has a showdown on Saturday with #3 Kansas. Also, I should mention they played Northern Iowa, the #1 team in Div 1-AA.
1a. ISU opponents have a combined 19 National Championships and 11 Heisman Trophy winners.
2. "Best Loss": Iowa State led Oklahoma (widely considered the best team in the Big XII) 7-0 going into the third quarter, and in fact did not give up the lead until the game was into the forth quarter
3. The transitive property of College Football: ISU beat Colorado who beat Oklahoma (which as already mentioned is considered the "best team" in the Conference). ISU also beat Iowa, who beat Illinois, who beat the former #1 Ohio State. ISU (again) beat Iowa, who beat Syracuse, who beat Loisville, who beat Cincinnati, who beat Oregon State, who beat California, who beat Tenessee, who beat South Carolina, who beat Kentucky, who beat Current #1 LSU. The only team that ISU played that is undefeated is Northern Iowa, however, the Panthers play not only in Div 1-AA, but also the Gateway Conference, which has yet to be recognized as a BCS conference.
4. Most Dominant Mascot: Earlier this year, the Cyclones were cosen by a CBS Sportsline online tournament/poll as having the most dominate collegiate mascot.
5. I am an alumnus and huge Cyclone homer.

As you can see, the Pros far outweigh the Cons, and the facts are irrefutable. I look forward to seeing who our opponent is in the NC game.

I'll bet you a pork tenderloin sandwich from Hy-Vee that Iowa wins NEXT season!! Go Hawkeyes!!!!

I'm a Sioux Cityan...born and raised.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/14/07 12:58 AM

Quote:
I'm a Sioux Cityan...born and raised.

Sioux City!? Double Whammy!! You know it is Sioux Falls' evil twin, right? (just kidding). I'll take the bet, I think next year will be about as close to even as they have been in a long time.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/14/07 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Fraud Pup
I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people who don't think that Kansas belongs has never seen them play. Folks, they are flat-out good.

I don't disagree that they're good. I'm just saying I see nothing in their record to justify that ranking. They haven't played ANYONE!

I am pretty confident that OU and Kansas will play in the Big XII Championship game and that whoever wins that should be in the National Championship game, especially with the current rankings of top 4 teams in the Big XII. If Kansas gets by Missouri and OU, they will have proven that they belong there, having defeated two top 5 teams. ...Maybe Missouri knocks off Kansas and ends this whole discussion. Maybe OU loses to Missouri in the Big XII anyway. [/quote]

Wouldn't MU deserve the NC berth, then, according to your logic?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/14/07 01:31 AM

Quote:
My knock on LSU is simply that they have come sooooooo close to losing on multiple occasions

But other than Kentucky, they've pulled out those "near losses." A sign of a true champion is facing adversity and overcoming it...which LSU has done all season.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/14/07 02:56 AM

Tom, Missouri has a loss and KS does not. That's the BIG difference between the two. I don't think Missouri would leapfrog Oregon in this scenario, but I could be wrong.

Happy, a sign of a true champion is not putting yourself in danger quite so often, actually. When you create your own adversity by playing below your own ability, you shouldn't be seen as this formidable and incredible team. I do like LSU and think they are a great team, but the whole "but they play in the SEC" argument really only holds water if they're out there destroying the top teams.

I still think that OU is the best and most balanced team in the country, and are literally 4 points away from a consensus #1 ranking. It happens.

For the record, I really hate the BCS.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/14/07 01:50 PM

Quote:
argument really only holds water if they're out there destroying the top teams.

a win by 2 or by 50 is still a win

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/14/07 11:52 PM

In black and white, yes...a win is a win, but which is the sign of a better team?

Voters, however, see gray, as they should. If one team trailed only one time all season, and that was in the last 4 seconds of a game that they lose by 3, but another team had to battle to win close games all season, and the competition was comparable, the first team would likely be chosen as the top team.

Because it's all subjective, it's flawed. We all just have to suck it up.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 02:59 AM

Tom, Missouri has a loss and KS does not. That's the BIG difference between the two. I don't think Missouri would leapfrog Oregon in this scenario, but I could be wrong.

If Missouri wins out, they will have beat on a neutral field the team that they lost to on the road (and whom they led in the fourth quarter of that game). They will have beat on neutral fields the #3 and #4 teams in the country. Now, you can argue that the #2 team is still better, but you can't argue that whichever of those teams (KU or MU) would win out, they don't deserve pretty much equal

In my mind, the big difference between Missouri and Kansas is that right now, Missouri has a quality road win. Kansas has no quality wins, home or away - in fact, nearly half their wins are against mid-majors!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 05:49 AM

But, they still have a loss, and you cannot tell me that a good number of voters out there look first and hardest at the records. KU would be undefeated if they were to win out. Mizzou would be a one-loss team, just like Oregon and LSU, but with a less impressive schedule.

I hope either LSU or Oregon drop a game, but I just am not sure that will happen. It just might be LSU v Oregon in the NC. It's hard to say at this point.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 02:37 PM

Mizzou would be a one-loss team, just like Oregon and LSU, but with a less impressive schedule.

I think you're fogetting the two games MU would have won.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 05:18 PM

Hey, Pup!!

BOOMER!!!!
Posted By: Hmmm...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 07:16 PM

Glad to know you aren't still talking about Ohio State. I am bummed that Gameday is going to the OSU Michigan game this weekend and not to the BC / Clemson game. That's going to be much more exciting... ok, I am a little biased. GO TIGERS!! My blood runneth orange.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 07:19 PM

Clemson.

My blood runneth orange, too.. just a different shade.

GO VOLS!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 07:23 PM

I liked the OT win against Carolina, Ops. That was pure joy to watch.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 07:24 PM

There should have been no over-time in that game. Best game I've ever seen four teams play. But yes.. beautiful win.. I love any Spurrier loss.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 07:25 PM

I live in Columbia. As a Clemson grad and die hard fan, you just don't know how hard it is hearing about the wonderful Gamecocks and the "Ole Ball Coach" Spurrier. As much as I respect Spurrier, I can't stand Carolina that much more!!!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 07:29 PM

Well, I don't like either of 'em. And I've always thought Clemson smells funny.. well.. that whole part of SC stinks. Gotta pick at ACC, though.. It's also in my blood. I'm SEC all the way.

As for Spurrier.. you should read the stuff he & Fulmer used to throw at each other when Stevie was at UF.

Stupid clipboard.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops
My blood runneth orange, too.. just a different shade.

GO VOLS!

Go Illini!!!

I think it may be a bit of a long shot, but I'm hoping Illinois goes to the Capital One Bowl since I'll be in Orlando.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/15/07 07:35 PM

I accidently set my wedding date (two years ago) on December 3rd.. I flipped out when I figured out it was the date of the SEC championship. This wouldn't be a big deal, but my hubby & I have tickets available to us pretty much any year the Dawgs don't go to the Championship.

I was planning on skipping out waaaay early on my reception if UT went. Luckily for those who attended my wedding, UT sucked it up that season.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Hey, Pup!!

BOOMER!!!!

..........SOONER!!!!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
Mizzou would be a one-loss team, just like Oregon and LSU, but with a less impressive schedule.

I think you're fogetting the two games MU would have won.

I see one quality win (Illinois in week 1), and they've been unranked for most of the season.

They lost by 10 to the only ranked team on their schedule.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 02:07 AM

First, we're presuming that one or the other wins out.

Second, regarding OU, they led in the fourth quarter, on the road.

Third, if we're talking we're only going by where teams were ranked when the game was played, MU has two wins over ranked opponents, versus KU's one. If you want to go by what the current rankings of their opponents are, MU has one win (on the road), KU has zero.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 01:32 PM

No, we're not presuming anything. What we are discussing are the scenarios for one of these Big XII teams to make it into the National Championship game. IF Kansas wins out, they will be in (with Oregon losing last night, this is pretty much a given now). IF OU wins out, I don't see how any team will surpass them. With a game between KU and MU upcoming, it is 100% senseless to argue which SHOULD be ranked higher. They're less than 10 days away from deciding that on the field.

But, to appease you, and to quote (well, paraphrase) EVERY analyst I've heard, they are a team in a BCS conference that will have gone undefeated (in this scenario), it would be unprecedented to keep them out of the NC behind two 1-loss teams.

Let's say that MU beats KU next week. Does the winner between OU and MU move to #2 and play in the NC game?

My thoughts are that, after this weekend is complete, with Oregon already having lost, KU will move to #2 behind LSU, and OU will move to #3, and MU will move to #4. Next week will feature a regular season matchup between #2 and #4. The result will either be that KU retains #2 (or moves up to #1...that has been discussed) and OU would likely retain their #3 ranking. Then, the Big XII Championship game would feature a matchup between #2 and #3 (assuming OU also wins out). The winner of that game would be in the NC game against LSU (also assuming that they win out).

LSU (coached by former Oklahoma State coach, Les Miles) vs OU in the National Championship game.

OU 38 LSU 24

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 01:35 PM

The big question leading up to this weekend was which of the three has the BEST chance of leapfrogging Oregon. The local thoughts were actually that KU and MU, because of their game against each other, were in the best position to leapfrog Oregon, and that OU might be the odd-team out, even if they were to win out. I agreed with that scenario. But, with Oregon out, if any of the three Big XII teams win out, they will likely play in the NC game.

For the record, Arizona is coached by Mike Stoops, brother of Bob Stoops and former defensive coach for the Oklahoma Sooners. Gotta love what his team did last night.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 01:37 PM

Oregon lost I take it? Did Dixon ever make it back in the game?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 02:22 PM

No, we're not presuming anything.

Yes we were, for the sake of discussion.

Quote:
But, to appease you, and to quote (well, paraphrase) EVERY analyst I've heard, they are a team in a BCS conference that will have gone undefeated (in this scenario), it would be unprecedented to keep them out of the NC behind two 1-loss teams.

Look, I'm not saying the KU wouldn't deserve to be there if they win out. I'm saying that MU would, too, if they win out.

Quote:
LSU (coached by former Oklahoma State coach, Les Miles) vs OU in the National Championship game.

OU 38 LSU 24

What was your prediction vs. Boise St.?

Edited to add:

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 03:36 PM

Touche.

Yeah, I predicted a double digit win by OU....I think I predicted somewhere between 10-20 points as a margin...I actually don't remember by actual prediction, but I'll bet it's on here somewhere. LOL.

I'm not even really upset about that game. BSU played an outstanding game and OU seemed to get caught on their heels, probably underestimating BSU. That was a very good game and a lot of fun to watch....just wish that my team didn't have to lose. It was a great win for those guys, though.

I just really feel strongly about OU this season. I think they're the most balanced team out there (Run v Pass/Offense v Defense), and they've found some real talent in their freshman QB and RB, and their lines have played VERY well all season.

In watching their loss at Colorado, Cody Hawkins simply played good football, and Dan Hawkins called a perfect game, which is what needed to happen for them to win it. Cody Hawkins will have a great college career and probably move to the next level with some success. It's nice to have some quality QB's here in the Big XII, the home of the ground n pound.

LSU has been touted all season as having the most talented team in the country, so there is DEFINITELY cause for concern if it comes down to an LSU/OU NC game.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: kms
Oregon lost I take it? Did Dixon ever make it back in the game?

Yeah, they lost. Dixon didn't get back in, but he was walking, so he should be okay...just not sure how long he'll be out. Although the Oregon loss GREATLY helps OU's chances for a shot at the Nat'l Championship, it sucks to see Dixon get hurt. He's a great athlete and the leader of a very powerful team. When he's on the field, Oregon is an outstanding team!!

He seemed to be taking it very well on the sideline, too...cheering on his team and his backup QB. He seemed optimistic when talking to the sideline reporter.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/16/07 04:28 PM

Quote:

OU 38 LSU 24

Pup - predictions like this make me think it is time to have you put down...you clearly are showing signs of being rabid

but if it truly gets down to this in the NC, I'll bet a 6 pack of Abita Amber (nice local brew) against one of your local brews...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/17/07 12:22 AM

I'll take the bet simply because....well, why not. LOL.

The Amber sounds nice, but I'll have to do some research for what we have in local brews. I'm not giving you a spread, but I will roadtrip next summer to BRING you your brew (depending on exactly how far that is, of course), should LSU beat OU in the NC game. You are in Texas, right?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/17/07 04:14 AM

I read that Dixon's gonna have to have knee surgery.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/17/07 04:42 AM

Man, that sucks. He is one heckuva football player. I hope he heals well and comes back strong next season!!
Posted By: Texas Boy

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/17/07 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Hmmm...
I live in Columbia. As a Clemson grad and die hard fan, you just don't know how hard it is hearing about the wonderful Gamecocks and the "Ole Ball Coach" Spurrier. As much as I respect Spurrier, I can't stand Carolina that much more!!!

Don't worry, you will not have to hear about Spurrier in SC much longer. Give it two weeks and we will be announcing Spurrier as our new head coach. Stoops and Brown better be scared, real scared-that's right!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/17/07 07:31 PM

Who is "we"? TTech? Tex A&M? Baylor?

If you're referring to Baylor, they are saying that Mike Singletary will be offered the job there.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/18/07 03:40 AM

I sure as heck hope TTech keeps whoopin' up on Oklahoma! They're dropping like flies.

And what about Lloyd Carr supposedly announcing his retirement this week?.. Sad for Michigan fans.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/18/07 07:17 AM

Quote:

OU 38 LSU 24

Pup - predictions like this make me think it is time to have you put down...you clearly are showing signs of being rabid

but if it truly gets down to this in the NC, I'll bet a 6 pack of Abita Amber (nice local brew) against one of your local brews...

Mmmmmmmmmmm, warm crow is yummy!!

Wow, with Bradford out early, it took a LONG time for OU to get it together. Bummer. Now, I'm torn. I'm a Sooner fan, so I want them to win out and be the Big XII Champs, but if they do, then the Big XII won't have a rep in the NC game. I'd really like to see Kansas win this whole thing....

Oh well....BOOMER!!!!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/18/07 07:01 PM

I would *almost* bet on Kanses losing a game. Mizzou then Big 12 Championship? Nope.. don't think they're gonna do it.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/18/07 08:20 PM

I would say the odds are better than even that KU will lose a game. They probably have about even odds in the game with MU, and I'd say the odds makers would by hard pressed to make them heavy favorites versus OU. So their odds of losing one of the two are better than 50-50. (Same holds for MU.) But I would say you're hasty to give Kansas better odds at the championship than Missouri. They played four comparable games; MU performed much better in two, KU outperformed in one, and in one they split:

MU wins by 17 at KSU; KU wins by six.
MU wins by 45 at Colorado; KU wins by five.
MU wins by 14 at home over Iowa State; KU wins by 38.
MU wins by 35 at home over Nebraska; KU wins by 37.

So, I think they're pretty evenly stacked, despite the records - maybe even with a slight edge for MU. We'll see Saturday; should be a great game. The border war - in football! Who knew?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/18/07 09:22 PM

IMO, it's not gonna matter, anyways. I'd lick someone's toes (and I *hate* feet) if LSU doesn't take it all.
Posted By: Texas Boy

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/18/07 10:12 PM

Who is "we"? TTech? Tex A&M? Baylor?

If you're referring to Baylor, they are saying that Mike Singletary will be offered the job there.

Are you kidding me with the Baylor response? That's where coaching dreams go to die. Leach may be leaving for TT later this season (UCLA) but at this point there's not talk of Leach leaving. So who does that leave?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/18/07 10:57 PM

IMO, it's not gonna matter, anyways.

Playing for a national championship would be a huge step forward for either of those programs. It would matter - big time - for their recruiting.

Quote:
I'd lick someone's toes (and I *hate* feet) if LSU doesn't take it all.

Yeah, uh, that's disgusting...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
IMO, it's not gonna matter, anyways.

Playing for a national championship would be a huge step forward for either of those programs. It would matter - big time - for their recruiting.

Hence those three little letters "IMO."

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 02:02 PM

If LSU can lose to Kentucky, they can lose to Kansas or Missouri. Don't count either of them out if they make it. Of course, if OU wins the Big XII now, don't count West Virginia out against LSU either.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 02:07 PM

My prediction is WV-LSU.. with LSU kicking the c ra p out of them.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 02:10 PM

anyone can lose...that is why the game is played. I just don't think LSU will be on the losing end
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 02:18 PM

Seems like no one wants to play in the BCS Championship game. It wouldn't surprise me to see the winner of the KU/MU lose to OK in the Big XII game and then LSU lose to Tennessee (or the SEC East Division winner because Tenn doesn't seem to want to win that bad either - Vandy!).

This has been one crazy year of college football (remember App. State and Michigan the first weekend?). Oklahoma was the 11th top 5 team this year to get beat by an unranked team! That doesn't include all of the ranked teams that have upset higher ranked teams. I love this game!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: David Dickinson
and then LSU lose to Tennessee (or the SEC East Division winner because Tenn doesn't seem to want to win that bad either - Vandy!).

I'm as hardcore Tennessee as they come, and dear, they will *not* beat LSU... and don't mistake they *do* want the SEC. Tennessee's defense is waaay too weak. *pouts*

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 04:10 PM

Pup,

It was a sad day when Tech pounded Sam's head into that turf. I heard some talk over the weekend about how harmful artificial turf is and hard on players. We actually had two players end up with concussions and Murray with a dislocated kneecap. Not good! It's not good stuff!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 06:59 PM

I didn't know Murray got hurt (I was preoccupied and couldn't watch the game...just check in here and there). With those two out, it's no wonder that they couldn't pull it off. Seems that Halzle got it going a bit in the 2nd half, though. How long is Bradford out?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 07:17 PM

Murray didn't get hurt until the last play of the game. the real problem was they didn't try to run the ball enough against the #117 run defense in the country. They had two different drives that ended on incomplete passes on 4th and goal. Run the freakin' ball....
Posted By: *BUSTER*

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 08:39 PM

I believe they said they were going to evaluate Bradford this week to figure out how long he would be out. I personally would sit him out the next game, I'd rather have a loss than to risk a kid further injury so soon after a concussion. I've had a couple myself and know that for me it took a couple of weeks just to get my head thinking clearly again.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Maximus
it took a couple of weeks just to get my head thinking clearly again.

I question the premise.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 09:53 PM

My husband was once dropped on his head.. on asphalt.. from the shoulder of a guy who's 6'7".. and he was okay the next day.
Posted By: *BUSTER*

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/19/07 09:53 PM

Some would say I have yet to recover...
Posted By: grmasterb

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/24/07 04:01 AM

I'd lick someone's toes (and I *hate* feet) if LSU doesn't take it all.

Second guessing this offer?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/24/07 04:14 AM

*grins* I wouldn't back down on a bet.. too bad someone didn't take me up on this.. most guys I know would go for a woman licking his toes.. or at least.....

GO VOLS!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/26/07 01:38 PM

ugh...what a heartbreaker...guess Miles will be heading to Michigan now

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/26/07 01:53 PM

Glad to see the Huskers fired Callahan.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/26/07 02:56 PM

so the SEC is the best conferance in the land? Here's the real shame of everything. If OU beats Missouri this weekend they will go to the Fiesta bowl and both Kansas and Missouri will most likely still have higher BCS ratings than them. Good news for the SEC is that LSU gets to play Tennessee in the conferance championship so the conferance will still get two BCS teams. If they had to play Georgia they would only get one in.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/26/07 03:23 PM

Quote:
so the SEC is the best conferance in the land

yes...and your point?

ps - we also know how to spell "conference"

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/26/07 03:33 PM

Quote:
so the SEC is the best conferance in the land

yes...and your point?

ps - we also know how to spell "conference"

Yep, pretty much..

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/26/07 03:56 PM

ha, lol. at least you have that. maybe someday you will actually have one worth talking about...

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/26/07 03:59 PM

you know, in the internet world picking on another's spelling is usually the argument of someone who has nothing to support their own points. Usually that ploy is used by teens but I am glad to see it extend into the adult population of BOL.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 12:41 AM

You should have capitalized the "y" in "you know,...".

Ops....I'm sure I took you up on your offer!!

Anyone want to crown West Virginia now and jinx them?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 02:10 AM

Anyone want to crown West Virginia now and jinx them?

GLADLY. West Virginia, buncha pansies...

Heck, if ya promise to wash your toes, I'll lick them anyways. Dang it, I was wrong.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 02:28 AM

Quote:
you know, in the internet world picking on another's spelling is usually the argument of someone who has nothing to support their own points. Usually that ploy is used by teens but I am glad to see it extend into the adult population of BOL

arguement

Also, with just 2 teams losing this weekend, we could see LSU v Ohio State in the NCG.

BTW - in the internet world, when you correct someone for poor grammar, it means that your arguement is superior and does not need defensing.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 02:48 PM

LOL, whatever Happy, you really think if Missouri and W. Virginia lose you get in?

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 02:50 PM

oh, and i trust you realize that arguement isn't correct and are just being funny....
Posted By: grmasterb

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 03:29 PM

WVA will NOT lose to Pitt. Mizzou could lose to OU. The NC game will either be:

Mizzou v. WVA or
Ohio State v. WVA

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 03:33 PM

I really think every conference needs to have a championship.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 03:36 PM

I don't think that's necessary if every team in the conference plays every other team.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 03:36 PM

the only time I don't feel it's necessary is like the Pac-10. every team plays each other so whoever wins the conference won because they played everybody in their conference.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 03:53 PM

The Big East teams play every other team in their conference as well. That's the best way to determine a true conference champion, everything is decided on the field.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 03:56 PM

I know a conference championship *isn't* the answer. It wouldn't accomplish anything. It's just irritating that those less "talented" or "competitive" conferences usually have that team that finish in the Top 15 (or higher). Let's face it.. WV isn't the same caliber as the LSU, Ohio State, and USC-type teams of the country.

As much as I love college football, I get so fed up with it.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 04:07 PM

WVU is of the caliber of the teams you mentioned. No offense to Missouri, but I'm kind of hoping that WVU get's to play Ohio State in the final, to shoot down this myth.

Is Georgia one of those elite teams in your mind? because WVU just beat them in the Sugar Bowl last year.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 04:40 PM

DS, I'm just going off of what I've watched. I'm not one of those fans who ONLY watches his (or her, in my case) team play; I really try to keep up with the entire country, or at least those worth mentioning each year. WV plays some entertaining football (especially what I saw last year).. but man, comparatively speaking, it's sloppy.

I hope for you that *does* happen. I won't change my mind on Big East, or Pac 10, for that matter, until I see some good, consistent, SOLID football against more than one good, consistent, solid football team.

I'm a Dawg hater. You'll very seldom see me write anything positive about UGA. And quite frankly, in the event that WV *does* lose, I'd hate to see UGA go. I don't think a team who can't with its conference should play in the NC. And yes, I'm one of those retarded SEC fans referred to earlier.

GO VOLS, dammit!

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 04:54 PM

I think the SEC is spreading their sour milk here, W. Virginia is probably the most explosive team out there right now. They just beat a top 25 team by 40, Slayton and White are a very good tandem and I hope they get Ohio ST also to prove to everybody that they are good. I wonder when LSU loses to Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl what excuse the SEC will come up with for why their teams lose....

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 05:00 PM

I don't think being top 25...or even top 20 this year shows much about a team. My opinion.

I was never even remotely impressed by UConn. Yet again, my opinion.

Guess we have to wait until after the SEC Championship for anything, now don't we?

If you watched SEC football week in and week out, you'd probably feel the same way as Happy & me.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 05:05 PM

if any conference has a gripe it's the Big 12, 2 weeks OU was primed to play in the national title game until the quarterback got hurt, then the #2 and #4 teams in the country had to play each other, knocking #2 Kansas out of the title hunt. This week #1 missouri has to play OU and could lose and the big 12 would have the third team in as many weeks knocked out of the national title game.

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 05:09 PM

i do ops, i watch more SEC football than Big 12 football and that's why I am not impressed. LSU was the fraud I told you they were. They snuck past bad teams and you acted like the conferance was good. Alabama lost to ULAMO(la monroe) for crying out loud..

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 05:10 PM

I don't think being top 25...or even top 20 this year shows much about a team. My opinion.

unless it's an SEC team in which case it's justification....

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: XO XO XODUS
you acted like the conferance was good.

I don't have to act.

And as for Bama losing to Louisiana Monroe.. I was as surprised as I'm sure you were. Just one of the many, many upsets this year.

Give Saban a couple years, man. He's working off of Shula's [censored].

Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? - 11/28/07 05:41 PM

I have no doubt Saban will be good, look at what Miles did with his players...