There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker!

Posted By: Comp Guy No More

There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 03:10 PM

And I'm proud to say that I am smoke free for 2 years today!
Posted By: QCL

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 03:11 PM

WOOHOO!!!!
Posted By: Ops

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
And I'm proud to say that I am smoke free for 2 years today!
Congrats, Matt! Saturday I finish up with my patches.. it's been 5 and a half weeks since I've smoked a cigarette & 11.5 weeks since my hubby has had a smoke or a dip.

Whoo HOO!
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 03:14 PM

Quitters!

Seriously, congrats CG and YC.
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 03:15 PM

LMAO-BB

Congrats to you 2
Posted By: Angel Eyes

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 03:24 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: trail hiker

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 03:25 PM

What a tremendous accomplishment for both of you. My mother died when I was 23 from lung cancer. She was a smoker. I raised my children without my mother and my children grew up without knowing their grandmother. I still miss her so much.
I was a smoker at the time and when I found out she had cancer and was going to die I put out the cigarretet I was smoking and never smoked again.
Don't ever think you will have time to quit. She was diagnosed and died within a year and there was never anything they could do. And what a terrible death. She basically was smothered to death.
So, once again CONGRATULATIONS!
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 03:26 PM

Beth, I am SO proud of you! You too Matt! Congrats to both of you and continued success!
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:00 PM

Way to go!
Posted By: B_F

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:04 PM

Congrats!

PS: There is a worse thing than a reformed smoker, and that's an unreformed, unrepentant, impolite smoker who thinks the world is his ashtray and doesn't care who he/she blows smoke at.
Posted By: Blessed

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:07 PM

Bengal, quit talking bout me
Posted By: pjs

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:07 PM

Congrats to both. Im working on it with that pill.

Anyhow. No, whats worse is a reformed smoker who mad mouths the smokers out there and was one himself/herself once upon a time.

It's a choice. Leave it go.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:09 PM

congrats, keep up the good effort

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Santa's helper
Anyhow. No, whats worse is a reformed smoker who mad mouths the smokers out there and was one himself/herself once upon a time.

I don't plan on doing this, but wow.. I didn't realize just how often a non-smoker can smell smoke. I'm amazed.. even when smokers are being considerate (which they are here at work.. there's a designated area they stick to), a non-smoker still gets an occasional face full. There's also an ashtray outside of each door to the building I work in, and they absolutely reek.
Posted By: pjs

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:28 PM

I know I hear you Beth.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:33 PM

ooh, and there is nothing worse than a young women on the patch and being in a PM with her

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:34 PM

I'm to the point now where I can smell it if the person in the car in front of me is smoking! But the smell on people after a smoke is horrible. Especially in the cold weather when you have a meeting with them. I now know what I smelled like!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Santa
ooh, and there is nothing worse than a young women on the patch and being in a PM with her

LOL.. I haven't been *that* bad, old man! I haven't even *threatened* to kill anyone (and if I have, I plead insanity!).

I know what ya mean, Comp. I can't believe how much my sense of smell has improved already! My regular every-morning-cough has gone away, too!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:44 PM

And I will now eat mayonaisse! Never used to like it, then my sense of taste came back! And I don't get colds as much as a I used to!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
And I will now eat mayonaisse! Never used to like it, then my sense of taste came back! And I don't get colds as much as a I used to!

That's funny.. my hubby has developed a french fry obsession. I haven't noticed much of a change in my taste yet. I'm hoping I'll grow to like some things and hate others, LOL.
Posted By: GLKS

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 05:49 PM

I have been smoke free now for 3+ years. My wife (then girlfriend) was returning from a mission trip to Honduras and I got the priveledge of telling her that her dad had a heart-attack. He is OK now--I like to tell people that my FIL and I quit smoking on the same day.

I never get heartburn anymore. I don't know if it had anything to do with the smoking (since it predated my smoking days), but it quit about the same time I quit.

Congrats to all quitters.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 06:23 PM

I have been smoke free for 6 years and don't miss it. Yes, it's eye opening how much smoke smells when you quit. I always thought that I didn't smell like that - WRONG!

My oldest brother is 62 years old and has smoked since he was 12. He's tried the pill and it worked - for awhile. He went off of it, but I think now he's back on. I honestly don't think he wants to quit, which is a necessity.

Many congratulations to everyone on quitting. It is so difficult, but a great accomplishment.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 06:29 PM

Congrats to all.

Quote:
I have been smoke free for 6 years and don't miss it.

I've been smoke free since 8/8/07, no patches, no pill, no gum..can't say I don't miss it...I don't think about it much anymore though..and I haven't quit...I've just stopped because I am one smoke away from two packs a day...LOL
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 06:51 PM

Good for you Dan! Keep it up!
Posted By: Bagweaver

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 08:26 PM

I'll be smoke free six years on 01/02/08. I think that the only reason I quit was I saw my one year old (at the time) granddaughter copying me. I used an inhaler.

My sister passed away two years ago from bladder cancer which was caused from smoking. She'd quit smoking many years prior to that.
Posted By: Basket Lady

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Bagweaver
My sister passed away two years ago from bladder cancer which was caused from smoking. She'd quit smoking many years prior to that.

A coworker died from bladder cancer that metastasized to her bones, but she never smoked in her life and did not grow up around smokers (Mormon). I'm not so sure it's possible to assign cancer to any one thing in some cases.
Posted By: trail hiker

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 08:42 PM

Bladder cancer caused by smoking! Minnesota recently passed a law for no smoking in restaurants and bars. I am so glad because I don't want second hand smoke cancer. my husband still smokes but not in the house or my car. And he does not understand how I can smell it on him.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 08:49 PM

There's no rhyme or reason with cancer - some people smoke like chimmneys and don't get it, others never smoke a day in their lives and get it. It is still the mystery disease.
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 09:17 PM

My son's mother-in-law is battling lung cancer right now, all they can do is give her 'time' and her husband and son still smoke (not in the house or near her thank goodness) Congrats to all that have been able to stop!!!!
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 09:37 PM

Congrats to all of the quiters out there!

My dad died of lung cancer, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Posted By: Pup

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 10:05 PM

I've been smoke-free for 36 years today!! As someone who is obsessed with playing pool (anyone looking for a game?), the worst for me, as a non-smoker, is going to the bar to play for a few hours and coming back smelling like an old ashtray.

I now have a pool table at home and plan on playing at home as much as I can without going to a bar. I sure wish Oklahoma would pass a ban on smoking in bars!!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/12/07 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Fraud Pup
I've been smoke-free for 36 years today!! As someone who is obsessed with playing pool (anyone looking for a game?), the worst for me, as a non-smoker, is going to the bar to play for a few hours and coming back smelling like an old ashtray.

I now have a pool table at home and plan on playing at home as much as I can without going to a bar. I sure wish Oklahoma would pass a ban on smoking in bars!!

what???? you ain't but 36 years old! I don't think you can start counting until you reach the age of accountability.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/13/07 01:41 PM

You should come to our great state, Pup...we are smoke free and CJ's Pub has pool tables!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/13/07 11:26 PM

And what "great state" is that, Ms. Joker?

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 02:13 PM

Georgia, of course! Welcome back...where ya been?

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 04:43 PM

A sweet "suthan" drawl from a Georgia peach certainly presents a temptation....

I have friends in Hinesville (Ft. Stewart). They seem to like it okay. How's the humidity in your neck o' the woods?

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 04:53 PM

<-- NE Georgia, and the humidity, at times, can suck, but we still have nothing on Florida!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 05:12 PM

Oh, Lord. TWO GEORGIA PEACHES???? :swoons:

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 05:55 PM

Sweet Suthern Comfort in the sweltering south GA nights...I'm so close to the Florida line you can stand on top of my barn and see it.

Hot, humid and by Monday am...from 80 to freezing...talk about extreme swings!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:02 PM

We definately have the temperature swings. Yesterday the high was mid 70's, and we woke up to 30's. Some days it'll start out in the 20's and make it to the 70's. I think layering originated in Georgia!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops
We definately have the temperature swings. Yesterday the high was mid 70's, and we woke up to 30's. Some days it'll start out in the 20's and make it to the 70's. I think layering originated in Georgia!

I guess that's what makes us tuff, huh, Ops!
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:07 PM

My father quit smoking (cigars) at 65 year old. He's been smoke-free for a little over 8 years now. My husband quit cigarrettes as a wedding present to me but only made it a little over a year before starting back. He's cut way back again now and won't smoke around me at all...it's mostly just at work (construction) and when driving.

Oh, and Pup - I used to have my own table (we sold it when we moved). I still have my cue and though I'm a little out of practice I bet I could still give you a run for it.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: RR joker

That's right!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops

LOL! Yeah, nothing quite like running the heat at night and switching to a/c by noon.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Becca

Oh, and Pup - I used to have my own table (we sold it when we moved). I still have my cue and though I'm a little out of practice I bet I could still give you a run for it.

Ahhh..we could make it a threesome I'm quite sure I can locate one of my sticks, too!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:29 PM

We've actually been discussing getting one of those multi-tables to put in the garage (since we never park in there anyway). You know the ones that switch from pool to air hocky to ping-pong or whatever? Now THAT would call for some serious bookclub meetings at my house!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:33 PM

Becca, I'll play you left-handed....(I'm NOT left-handed) so you'll have a chance.

Joker, "Sweet Suthern Comfort in the sweltering south GA nights"?
I'm not sure I can handle too much of that kind of talk!! I don't think my old heart can handle it!!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:35 PM

Ahhh..we could make it a threesome I'm quite sure I can locate one of my sticks, too!

:Clutches chest and falls to the floor:

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 06:55 PM

Great. Look, joker - now you've gone and killed the Pup! *sigh*

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 07:03 PM

Dang it! PUP...QUIT PLAYIN POSSUM! YOU AREN'T THAT OLD! Hey...the garage meetings sound GREAT! I'd much rather battle book subjects while hitting the 8 from behind my back...while leaning against the table, after 3 or 4! (take notes, Pup...;) )

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 07:12 PM

:Gasping for air and reaching for his keyboard:

Nice visual.

For the record, though, if a woman can beat me on the pool table, I will likely fall instantly in love with her. Be careful.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 07:18 PM

You are in MUCH trouble now PUP. Becca! Let's get that table and get back in practice...I can't remember ANY man who could beat me back when I was on top of my game! Sounds like you were just as good. This should be easy...I just don't like breaking...so...someone else may have that honor!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 07:34 PM

LOL! In college I would bait guys into playing myself and 'a friend' for the table if none were open. (That friend was the 6'3" 240lb meathead I've told you about, joker.) Sometimes he'd bait them in by saying, "Here, I'll partner with this chick" while I feigned disinterest in the game. We'd let our victims get in a couple of shots and then run the table on them. We very rarely lost a table once we'd claimed it, and if we did we'd have it back within another game or two. If it was just our usual group out together, we'd play 9 ball for shots (as in drinks). Good times!

ETA: and for the sake of keeping this thread on track...I always hated the way I smelled after a night out at the bar. No matter how drunk, I always took a shower before going to bed because I couldn't stand to go to sleep with my hair (which was waist-length at the time) stinking of cigarette smoke.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 07:38 PM

Oh no...we used to do the same thing...only it was me and my..well, yeah...meathead ex husband! LOL! Before we were married probably. We were quite the team and big time pool table husslers...LOL! Great memory.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 07:52 PM

I've only found one woman who can come close to me on the pool table....but I was still married at the time, so she got away. Oh, she is moving back to town soon, though...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't hustle, by the way. I'll whoop you from the first rack until the last. That's just the way I play. And it can be 8 or 9 ball.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 08:05 PM

I don't hustle, by the way. I'll whoop you from the first rack until the last. That's just the way I play. And it can be 8 or 9 ball.

*speaks with soft GA drawl* Yes, well - I'm quite out of practice by now. You'll let me have a few warm-up games though, right? *bats eyelashes*
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 08:08 PM

:Gasping for air and reaching for his keyboard:

Nice visual.

For the record, though, if a woman can beat me on the pool table, I will likely fall instantly in love with her. Be careful.

Perpare to play the woman of your dreams! hee hee hee

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 08:14 PM

But Cheekers, I'm already in love with you.....you know that!!

*speaks with soft GA drawl* Yes, well - I'm quite out of practice by now. You'll let me have a few warm-up games though, right? *bats eyelashes*

:gulp, loosens tie:
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 08:46 PM

umm, a reformed virgin is worse, especially if you're the one on a date with her
Posted By: Skittles

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 08:53 PM

Although I don't play pool well, since I live in GA can I come, too? Although I don't have the Suthen accent - yet.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 08:59 PM

You know you can, skittles!
Posted By: Bagweaver

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 09:20 PM

OK . . . I don't play pool either, but I was born and raised in GA. Can I invite myself over???

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 09:21 PM

Of course! However, we might never get the Pup here now...he'd be afraid...very afraid!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 09:22 PM

if this event is planned between 12/21 and 12/23; please post here, I will be in the Atlanta area and would also attend

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 09:24 PM

We're about 4 hours South, Pale, but we'd love to have ya! Oh..btw...if you visit Peep heaven...PLEASE tell them thank you for not having an "everyday-of-the-year" peep for me!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 09:28 PM

Maybe we should just all pile in and have a little BOL Atlanta roadtrip? They have much better bars up there anyway!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 09:37 PM

I'd much rather drive to Atlanta than clear to the other end of the state! (I border North Carolina!) And if ya play me in pool, you've got a sure fire win. Warning: I play better when I'm drunk.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 09:41 PM

I'm way overdue for an Atlanta area visit anyway...my friends who live up there still are getting a little pi$$y about it.

ROAD TRIP!

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/14/07 09:56 PM

Of course! However, we might never get the Pup here now...he'd be afraid...very afraid!

I fear nothing. But, travel being as expensive as it is these days, I don't see a trip to Atlanta in my "near" future.

Re: There is NOTHING worse than a reformed smoker! - 12/17/07 07:26 PM

That's OK, Pup. If we do manage to get together we promise to raise a bottle in your honor.