Gene Upshaw dead

Posted By: RBanker

Gene Upshaw dead - 08/21/08 01:08 PM

Credited with incredible growth of the NFL - died of pancreatic cancer - I'm hearing it on AUstin ESPN radio, but no report anywhere...
(Did find this link .... http://www.kfyr.com/cc-common/news/sections/sportsarticle.html?feed=104670&article=4127682)
Posted By: B_F

Re: Gene Upshaw dead - 08/21/08 01:11 PM

What a sad day. He really did make a huge difference in the popularity and growth of the NFL.
Posted By: straw

Re: Gene Upshaw dead - 08/21/08 03:33 PM

This is too bad. Best labor relations in sports are in the NFL. I think his passing and the ownership dispute over local revenue virtually guarantees a strike at the end of the current CBA.
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: Gene Upshaw dead - 08/21/08 05:59 PM

He was diagnosed just recently, like within the last week. He went very quickly, prayers for his family!!
Posted By: Hated By Some

Re: Gene Upshaw dead - 08/21/08 06:20 PM

pancreatic cancer is a silent killer.

Re: Gene Upshaw dead - 08/21/08 06:24 PM

I have a suspicion that some knew he was ill. I remember there was an issue with the union's succession plan a few months ago. Might be a coincidence or it might have been that some in the leadership circle knew and were trying to make preparations.
Posted By: Hated By Some

Re: Gene Upshaw dead - 08/21/08 06:30 PM

of course. i'm just saying as far as symptoms go, pancreatic cancer almost always shows up well past the time when anything can even be done.

we need to declare a war on cancer again and forget about the war on drugs.

Re: Gene Upshaw dead - 08/21/08 07:39 PM

I am against war in all its forms.