anyone reading any good books?

Posted By: HappyGilmore

anyone reading any good books? - 01/06/09 10:48 PM

Got a few at Christmas - just finished Wayne Rooney - My Story and just started Inside the Postal Bus - Behind the Scenes with the US Postal Team and the Tour de France...while not on the reading list of many, both are good reads...
Posted By: Cowboys Fan

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/06/09 11:35 PM

Finished Scarpetta (Patricia Cornwell) and Cross Country (James Patterson) this past weekend. Thought Scarpetta was pretty good / Cross Country was too far-fetched for my taste. Getting ready to start Salvation in Death (J.D. Robb).
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/06/09 11:57 PM

I am listening to Stone Cold by David Baldacci.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 12:05 AM

Murdered By Mumia-Maureen Faulkner
Posted By: kms

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 12:43 AM

Salvation in Death was good. I have been trying to be good not getting scarpetta and Cross Country.

I am reading Divine Evil -Nora Roberts
Posted By: Hrothgar Geiger

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 01:14 AM

The Entity - Eric Frattini
Posted By: Countess Kiwi

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 02:14 AM

I received Scarpetta for Christmas and just started it. Finished a couple of mysteries this past week. Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund and Wash and Die. Both were good short reads.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 02:47 AM

Chirstmas Jars was a good quick (2 hr) read. Warmed the cockles of my heart...no really, it did. I have a jar like that and that's how I'm going to use it this year.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 01:04 PM

Just completed "Artic Drift" by Clive Cussler and "Scarpetta" by Patricia Cornwell. Really enjoyed both of them. Am currently reading "A Traitor to his Class" a book about the life of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. It is very good so far.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 01:05 PM

"Loving Frank" was a great read on the love life of Frank LLoyd Wright.

I am now into the Stephen Frey financial/SEC/corp crimes series (what a dork...)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 01:08 PM

I saw or read an article about a book swap deal over the internet. People posted the books they had available to swap for other books and then folks from all over would pick them out and send you what you wanted from their collection. The only cost was shipping - some of the sites had a membership fee, but it was minimal. I thought that was a good idea. We're starting Ramsey's Financial Peace University at church this Thursday night. I have a feeling that my passion for books will be curtailed. This would be a good way to get the books we like to read for a minimal amount of money. Since so many of us on BOL like to read - I wonder if we should have our own book swap or just all join the same one?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 01:12 PM

Some folks have tried that, but I think it was hard to keep up, between the various reading rates of folks and having to get the box to the post office... I am sure those who participated will chime in here. wink
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 01:39 PM

Finished "Plum Spooky" by Janet Evanovich last night. Hilarious - as always!
Posted By: A_G

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 01:45 PM

I just started reading Cell by Stephen King...

It kinda got right into it right away...
Posted By: Hoosierland

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 01:50 PM

Just finished "Deep Dish" by Mary Kay Andrews yesterday. A quick, funny read.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 02:19 PM

1/2 way through "Plum Loving" by Janet Evanovich...as always...LOL funny!
Posted By: kitten

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: waldensouth
I saw or read an article about a book swap deal over the internet. People posted the books they had available to swap for other books and then folks from all over would pick them out and send you what you wanted from their collection. The only cost was shipping - some of the sites had a membership fee, but it was minimal. I thought that was a good idea. We're starting Ramsey's Financial Peace University at church this Thursday night. I have a feeling that my passion for books will be curtailed. This would be a good way to get the books we like to read for a minimal amount of money. Since so many of us on BOL like to read - I wonder if we should have our own book swap or just all join the same one?

i belong to swaptree.com. no fee to join, and like you said, shipping is the only fee. it's okay, but it can take a while for someone else to post a book you want.

i would join one here.
Posted By: KC Danimal

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 03:30 PM

I just started The 47th Samurai by Stephen Hunter.
Posted By: Confused Banker

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/07/09 04:04 PM

The best book that I have read recently was The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho. I've read a number of his books lately but this was by far my favorite. I also recently re-read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. I really enjoyed that one.
Posted By: Tesla

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/08/09 06:57 PM

i just started reading a book called "Betrayed" or "Betrayal" something like that. It is pretty good. I can't remember the author right now.

What is "Scarpetta" by Patricia Cornwell about?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/08/09 07:06 PM

Kay Scarpetta is a forensic scientist... pretty cool stuff.
Posted By: Tesla

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/08/09 07:25 PM

Sounds interesting. I will have to find a copy of that book when I finish the one I am on! smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 11:36 AM

There is a whole series of Scarpetta books, they are pretty interesting, if you like forensic pathology.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 02:04 PM

i just finished "knit two" which was a follow up to the "friday night knitting club". it wasn't bad.

i've also just started the "in death" series - i've read 2 of them so far and am liking them.

and i'm reading the women's murder club series. i think i'm on book 6 of that one.

has anyone heard about when Sue Grafton is going to come out with her next letter book? i think it's U next.
Posted By: Lisa_Bates

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: kitten

i belong to swaptree.com. no fee to join, and like you said, shipping is the only fee. it's okay, but it can take a while for someone else to post a book you want.

i would join one here.

I'd join a BOL book swap...
Posted By: buggs

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 02:55 PM

I just finished re-reading Huckleberry Finn for the 4th or 5th time. What an amazing work of literature. Even the appearance of Tom Sawyer towards the end of the book, cannot marr the beauty and thoughtfulness of this book.

As far as I'm concerned in American literature, there is everything that came before Huckleberry Finn and everything that came after it.
Posted By: ~Special K~

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 02:55 PM

:raises hand: Me too

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 03:00 PM

I've never read any of Twain's works, maybe I'll need to do that. I have tried reading James Fenimore Cooper on a number of occassions, but the old english makes it too difficult. Last year MsGilmore received a book called "500 must read books" (or something like that) that breaks down by old fiction, new fiction, old non-fiction, new non-fiction, auto/biographies. I went thru the entire book, and had only read 2. One was Catcher in the Rye, which I read after Hinckley shot Lennon, and it was terrible...couldn't see what anyone saw in that book. I don't recall what the other was. Anyway, had not heard of many of the books on there, and the synopsis of a lot of them didn't make me want to read them.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 03:03 PM

<---- was unable to get through The Scarlet Letter

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 03:06 PM

I dont think I could part with any books, I have what should be a living room in my house that is the reading room, with many bookcase(thanx GD). I only purchase certain authors unless they are my research books.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyModerator!
I've never read any of Twain's works, maybe I'll need to do that.

If you want to try something shorter of Twain's works to whet your appetite, I would suggest Pudd'nhead Wilson. It's a very interesting story about racism and slavery, but typical of Twain fashion, he doesn't beat you over the head with the message, he just tells the story and let's the readers draw their own conclusion.

P.S. I've never read Catcher in the Rye or On the Road, but I'd like to get around to them someday.
Posted By: Spook-a-Muffin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 03:37 PM

I'm reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, it's alright, i haven't finished the first book yet, but so far it seems worth it to buy.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 03:50 PM

I don't recommend wasting the time on Catcher...I would recommend to anyone Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugarman. He was the manager for The Doors (as a music buff Bugs, I think you'd enjoy it) and it details many of the behind the scenes lives of the Doors band members, as well as the author's. I was amazed on the amount of drugs use and alcohol that went on, way more than I thought...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 03:54 PM

Quote:
Danny Sugarman.
I once shared a room with his brother.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Spooky&#9829;™
I'm reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, it's alright, i haven't finished the first book yet, but so far it seems worth it to buy.

Hang in there, Spooky. The first book is mostly set-up and backstory - they get WAY better as they go.
Posted By: Spook-a-Muffin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 04:25 PM

Oh thats good to know =]
Posted By: QCL

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 04:53 PM

I just finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (he wrote the Kite Runner). It was another amazing book!

I got it for Christmas, picked it up on Monday and only put it down when life got in the way. A really great book for understanding what it is like for women in Afganistan, before during and after the Taliban rule. It is fiction but the way it is written, it almost seems as though Hosseini is recounting a true story.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Hot Meg Griffin
I just finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (he wrote the Kite Runner). It was another amazing book!

I got it for Christmas, picked it up on Monday and only put it down when life got in the way. A really great book for understanding what it is like for women in Afganistan, before during and after the Taliban rule. It is fiction but the way it is written, it almost seems as though Hosseini is recounting a true story.

Both books were incredibly well written but both were also so depressing! I'm glad that I read them but I don't think that I would eve want to read them again.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Friend Of Bob W
Quote:
Danny Sugarman.
I once shared a room with his brother.

so you're the guy mentioned on page 183? wow, that sheds a light on so many of your posts shocked

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Confused Banker
Originally Posted By: Hot Meg Griffin

Both books were incredibly well written but both were also so depressing! I'm glad that I read them but I don't think that I would eve want to read them again.

I enjoyed both, and I also enjoyed "The Sari Shop" by Rupa Bajwa.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Confused Banker
Both books were incredibly well written but both were also so depressing.

Kinda like watching The Godfather, huh?
Posted By: Robin Goodfellow

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 07:03 PM

not reading any books, but have been reading short stories online at everydayfiction.com; a friend had one of his published there.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 10:13 PM

There is a BOL book swap. Contact Kiwi, Corky or MaryBeth
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/09/09 10:47 PM

I thought y'all were migrating to electronic books?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 01:16 AM

I didn't get mine for Christmas. frown

Wanna buy me one? smile
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: KCGeoQueen
There is a BOL book swap. Contact Kiwi, Corky or MaryBeth

Last I heard Kiwi had the books.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 12:50 PM

Big Boy Rules by Steve Fainaru

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 12:51 PM

Risk Mgmt of Remote Deposit Capture - FFIEC

laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ

"A work of genuine literary effort." - NY Times

"An extraordinary achievment that plays over the readers senses with boldness, grace, and daring." - Chicago Tribune

"One of the FFIEC's best to date! Thrilling!" - LA Times

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 03:45 PM

LOL!! laugh
Posted By: Angel Eyes

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 03:50 PM

laugh

I just placed this on the top of my reading stack! eek grin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 03:51 PM

It is really very good, and it got great reviews... laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 05:09 PM

I just finished "Multiple Bles8ings: Surviving and Thriving with Twins and Sextuplets" by Jon & Kate Gosselin. I am a fan of their show, "Jon & Kate Plus 8," so I found it very interesting to learn more about their family and some of the challenges they have faced.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 05:19 PM

started a James Lee Burke last night...don't even remember which one but I'm 1/2way thru it...have a couple of Harlan Coben's that I'll be taking with me on our strategic planning trip this weekend...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 05:21 PM

Harlan Coben is great, he lives 2 towns over from where I work. cool

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 05:39 PM

Harlan Coben is great.

Agreed! I am in the middle of Back Spin and am really enjoying it. It is probably about the 10th book of his I have read. None of them are exactly challenging reads but they are a really nice distraction.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 05:43 PM

I wish he'd write a little faster...

Did you read "The Woods", it was awesome...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 05:56 PM

Loved The Woods! Also particularly enjoyed Tell No One and Promise Me.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 06:01 PM

i'm almost done "the woods". don't tell me how it ends!!!
Posted By: Peepers

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 06:03 PM

a bear poops in them

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 06:06 PM

great! thanks a lot peepers!!!!! mad

laugh laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 06:17 PM

Kitten, they all died...

just kidding! laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 06:18 PM

cry
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 11:23 PM

Reading Swine Not? by Jimmy Buffett right now and actually pretty good. Nothing earth shattering but a good, light read over my lunch hour.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/15/09 11:52 PM

Why read when you can listen?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 01:08 PM

I read because it is quiet, no noise no voices, other than the usual ones in my head... wink

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 01:23 PM

The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga by Srivatsa Ramaswami
Posted By: Snow Bunny

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 04:27 PM

Someone gave me a copy of Memoir of a Geisha. I know it's old, but is it a good read?
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 04:33 PM

Anybody read Eragon by Christopher Paolini (sp?)? I have someone trying to talk me into reading this series but I'm not convinced yet.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 04:35 PM

I read Eragon and Eldest, currently have Brisingr on my LR table.

My son read all 3, he loved them. I enjoyed the first 2 a lot and was impressed that such a young writer could pull off a trilogy.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)
Someone gave me a copy of Memoir of a Geisha. I know it's old, but is it a good read?

That was a very interesting book, Poo!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 04:38 PM

Thanks DQ - once I get all of the Christmas stuff put away I'll have to pick it up.
Posted By: DEL

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)

That was a very interesting book, Poo!

I also have read it and really liked it. It's long but doesn't feel long.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
Anybody read Eragon by Christopher Paolini (sp?)? I have someone trying to talk me into reading this series but I'm not convinced yet.

Definitely read them! They don't 'feel' like YA books, and even thought they are considered high fantasy they are easy to get into. I loved them and can't wait 'til the 4th one comes out!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 04:58 PM

You should see the college freshman history textbook my daughter brought home. It's in a magazine format. It has flexible pages, and the layout is just like a magazine (without the ads). And it costs $65.

It's supposed to be the "new" way of teaching, but it just seems so disposable to me. And a little confusing since the format seems to encourage skipping around. I hope it works.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Becca

Definitely read them! They don't 'feel' like YA books, and even thought they are considered high fantasy they are easy to get into. I loved them and can't wait 'til the 4th one comes out!

Okay, I will pick Eragon up tonight.

I'm going on vacation in March and starting to think about poolside reading material. Has anyone read any of Janet Evanovich's books other than the by the numbers?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 06:17 PM

I tried one of JE's non-Plum books. It was too much like a romance for my taste.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 06:19 PM

ditto, the EGB!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 06:35 PM

I enjoyed both Metro Girl and Motor Mouth. I haven't read any of her "Full" series (they're co-authored with someone else), but her other earlier books are just short, simple romances. Kinda cheesy, but cute and fast reading if you're stuck in a waiting room or something.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 06:49 PM

Romance would be okay for poolside reading. smile
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 07:13 PM

Yeah, what she said. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 07:31 PM

And now tell me again about Kisgen? I can't remember the author and am too lazy at the moment to go look for the other thread. Can't get enough of those vampires you know! wink

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 07:42 PM

Kisten? He's part of the "Rachel Morgan" cast by Kim Harrison. The first one is "Dead Witch Walking." It kind of takes a while for the story to pick up - there's a lot of set-up and back story.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 07:47 PM

Kisten, that's it...where the heck did I get Kisgen?

So after Dead Witch Walking the rest are quicker? I think I'll look for that one tonight too.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 07:53 PM

Much.

They're urban fantasy, and if you like them I'll also suggest Lilith Saintcrow's "Dante Valentine" and "Jill Kismet" series. All three revolve around a stong but deeply flawed female lead character and her struggles.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 07:57 PM

Much.

They're urban fantasy, and if you like them I'll also suggest Lilith Saintcrow's "Dante Valentine" and "Jill Kismet" series. All three revolve around a stong but deeply flawed female lead character and her struggles.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:03 PM

This is my first foray into urban fantasy. I'm keeping a list now in case I like the Rachel Morgan series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:12 PM

Thanks a lot you two! Now I'm all distracted thinking about Kisten. blush Oh well...I wasn't very productive today anyway.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:19 PM

I'm not feeling productive today either. Which would be why I'm making lists of books I want to read!

Hmmm...I'm thinking that I may have to read "Dead Witch Walking" before "Eragon".

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:22 PM

Kisten doesn't have a huge role until you're a couple of books in.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:22 PM

That would be a toss up for me...all depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:25 PM

I have a three day weekend...maybe I can do both! wink

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:29 PM

My OCD side kicks in and I cant switch between series very easily. I must finish one before starting another.

Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr are LONG books. I enjoyed getting completely lost in the fantasy world with dragons, dwarfs and elves.

The Rachel Morgan series is lighter, but once you meet Kisten you could easily loose the long weekend fantasising about him.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:29 PM

That's probably what I'd do, Sarah. I tend to have at least 2 books going at any given time.

Currently I'm on a reread of the Kim Harrison books (am almost finished with "The Good, The Bad, and the Undead") as well as skipping between the goofy little Kerrelyn Sparks vampire series and Victoria Laurie's "Psychic Eye" books.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 08:47 PM

Jen, have you read the Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series by Tad Williams? They are reallllly good. Long too, but they totally suck you in. The first is Dragonbone Chair.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 09:02 PM

I havent...I'll add them to my list of books to check out the next time I'm at B&N. Thanks!!
Posted By: GenerousLife

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/16/09 10:24 PM

Funny Money by Mark Singer. The story of Penn Square Bank. Very odd to see similarities to some of the stories in today's headlines.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 01:14 PM

I read all three of the books in this series and am eagerly awaiting the 4th. It is a good fantasy series - good story lines.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 01:34 PM

has anyone read "brick lane" by monica ali? it's my book club's selection for this month.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 02:04 PM

I just started Brisingr this weekend... pretty good sofar.

Kit - nope. wink

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 02:19 PM

All I lack now in the "Plum" series is Number 14... Anyway,I started Lee Child's Persuader (a Reacher story) yesterday...I'll get totally sucked in to that one I'm sure if it's anywhere near as good as "Bad Luck and Trouble". So far, it's good. :-)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 02:20 PM

I like the Reacher series, he's pretty cool...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 02:32 PM

I'm zipping through some silly little paranormal romances (no plot to speak of, so I can read them really quickly) to boost my page count for January. When I run out of these I plan to start Jim Butcher's Dresden series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 02:48 PM

I thought about re-reading Inkheart before I started anything else...but didn't. The movie releases Friday, I think.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 02:59 PM

Blossom - Andrew Vacchs (re-reading)
Posted By: TrngMgr

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 04:39 PM

Like another poster above, I usually have a few books going at a time. Currently reading "The Road" Cormac McCarthy's view of the end of the world. Amazing book, and not as depressing as you'd think. It's pretty short, and I read it almost straight through Friday night and Saturday, and just went right back to the beginning again.
Another is "Song Yet Unsong" by James McBride - a slave story set right around the Civil War. Just started this one.
Also reading Gettyburg but Steven Sears. Huge book, and you've got to really be into the war. (I am, but it's a slow read.)

Eregon is an amazing series of books.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyModerator!
Blossom - Andrew Vacchs (re-reading)

is this what the TV show was based on? smirk

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 05:00 PM

I read Inkheart and Inkspell over Christmas; I have Inkdeath but haven't read it yet. I am looking forward to the movie!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 05:18 PM

I finally broke down and bought Scarpetta, but I am reading some other business books at the same time, so it is slow going.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/20/09 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: The EGB
I read Inkheart and Inkspell over Christmas; I have Inkdeath but haven't read it yet. I am looking forward to the movie!

I had no idea there were more...I'll have to make a note of that.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/25/09 09:19 PM

Has anyone read The Shack? I just ordered it and was wondering what others thought of it.
Posted By: Dip

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/26/09 04:50 PM

OK, so the only thing I'es read lately are the CAMS study guide and Cosmetology textbooks, but I read ANgels and Demons years ago and thought it was fantastic--better than the DaVinci Code (which I read after Angels and Demons). Anyway, I am super psyched because I saw preview for the Angels and Demons movie this weekend--yay! I didn't knwo there were plans to make it a movie. I hope it is as good as the book!!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/26/09 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: kms
Has anyone read The Shack? I just ordered it and was wondering what others thought of it.

I'm about halfway through this book. I like it because it is making me think about things that I once took for granted. That's a good thing. By and large, I agree with 95% of what I've read.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/26/09 05:22 PM

Thanks Bugs
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 01/26/09 09:57 PM

I am in the process. Our Sunday School class is doing a study using the book.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/02/09 04:54 PM

Read Plum Spooky over the weekend. Not overly impressed, not nearly enough Ranger (or Joe), and no real explanation for why Carl was the way he was. The ending felt a bit abrupt as well.
Posted By: NancyF

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/02/09 05:11 PM

I just finished Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. It is a group of short stories which take place in a small town in Maine. Olive Kitteridge is a school teacher in the town and kind of ties the stories together. I found it very well-written and will look for other books by this author.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/02/09 05:21 PM

I am reading Southern Cross, by Cornwell

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/02/09 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: The EGB
Read Plum Spooky over the weekend. Not overly impressed, not nearly enough Ranger (or Joe), and no real explanation for why Carl was the way he was. The ending felt a bit abrupt as well.

I still think it was WAY better than Fourteen. wink

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/02/09 06:32 PM

Okay now....no spoilers please! I still have to read 14 and Spooky!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/02/09 09:23 PM

I just finished The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/02/09 10:16 PM

It is probably appropriate that I am posting after someone with the screen name Hrothgar...I finished Eldest last week. I have Brisingr but haven't started it yet.

I read Plum Lucky last week as well. I had Plum Spooky in my hands at the bookstore but I am having a hard time paying that much for a hardcover with less than 700 pages.
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/02/09 11:01 PM

I just finished the entire series of "Agent Pendergast" from Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston.

I started with the Cabinet of Curiosities because of the reviews I saw on Amazon/Kindle and ended up having to go back and read all of them.

Loved them and now can't wait for the next one due in May.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/03/09 01:43 PM

Sarah - I try to buy hardbacks at Walmart the day they come out. They're usually about 40-50% off cover price. Like today I'll be there on my lunch hour looking for the new Patricia Briggs book.

I've finally started reading Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series. Love it! It's kind of Harry Potter for grownups....if Harry grew up, moved to the US, had an overdeveloped sense of sarcasm, and decided to fight crime. grin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/03/09 03:09 PM

Getting close to finshing "Motor Mouth" and then will do #14 and Plum Spooky (thanks to RRB!)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/06/09 08:22 PM

Newsflash!!!!

Books that Amazon.com Inc. sells for its Kindle electronic reading device will also be available on cell phones, too.

Amazon spokesman Drew Herdener said Friday that the Seattle-based online retailer is working on making Kindle books available "on a range of mobile phones." The company is not yet saying when the books will be available, or on which phones.

A new Kindle will be unveiled next week......

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/08/09 12:05 PM

City of Thieves by David Benioff

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 01:03 PM

"Katherine" by Anya Seton

Historical drama about Lady Katherine Swynton and John of Gaunt

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 01:06 PM

::reads description of DQs book:: sleep

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 01:33 PM

has anyone read "the secret"? a friend recommended it to me over the weekend, and i'm afraid it's going to be a really cheesey self-help type book. (i'm all for self help, but not the shlocky kind.)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ninja kitten
::reads description of DQs book:: sleep

mad

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 01:36 PM

::kisses DQs cheek::

don't be difficult. smile
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 02:47 PM

Still reading War and Peace. [sigh]

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 02:55 PM

Did you know that was originally titled War, What is it Good For?
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 03:03 PM

I just finished the Alchemist..... Best book I've ever read.

One of my fav. lines

"When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better,too."

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/09/09 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ninja kitten
has anyone read "the secret"? a friend recommended it to me over the weekend, and i'm afraid it's going to be a really cheesey self-help type book. (i'm all for self help, but not the shlocky kind.)

Have it but haven't read it yet. Hubby has. It's more of a motivational book.
Posted By: EllenA

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/10/09 04:16 PM

I read "the secret" and I felt it was the "prosperity gospel" message minus the religious aspects. Sort of like a Joel Osteen sermon minus the biblical references

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/10/09 04:30 PM

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/10/09 04:41 PM

currently between books but looking for a good read...need to pick some up cause I'm travelling next week...I saw Lescroart has a new paperback called The Betrayed, anyone read it?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/10/09 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Hrothgar Gieger

Love Harlan Coben! B&N just emailed me that he has a new book out!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/10/09 05:06 PM

is Hold Tight a Myron Bolitar?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/10/09 05:21 PM

No.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/10/09 05:24 PM

The Woods was really, really good by Coben.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/13/09 11:59 AM

Just finishing "Wicked". Not sure if I like it or not, but it is an interesting read. Would anyone like it when I am done with it (over the weekend)?
Posted By: this is it

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/13/09 03:10 PM

I know its an Oprah Book (which for many people is an immediate turnoff) but I am reading the The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski and it is a wonderful, engaging book. The character development is superb and it is very suspenseful (plus it has dogs as an integral part of the plot). Even if you have hated every other Oprah book, this book is one for book lovers!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/13/09 03:55 PM

The Brass Verdict - Michalel Connelly

Connelly is da bomb!
Posted By: VA-CSR

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/13/09 04:49 PM

I like Harlan Coben's books, but I hope he never again narrates one of his own books (I'm an audiobook addict). He's a good writer, but the man can NOT read out loud. Khalid Hosseini did a fabulous job with 'The Kite Runner' -- his accent and accurate pronunciation really enhanced the story.

Right now I'm listening to 'Homeport' by Nora Roberts -- yeah, it's good ol' romantic suspense. Before that, though, I spent 16 hours with Christopher Reich's 'The First Billion' (all those Russian characters!) so my brain wants a break from anything requiring too much attention.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/13/09 04:56 PM

I haven't read these, but I stumbled across another YA book that I really enjoyed. My absolute favorite book of all time is 'Lottery' by Patricia Wood, and I loved the narrator (Paul Michael). I was looking for other things he'd read, and found "The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp" -- what a fun adventure! There are a few sequels, but none available in audiobook format that I've found yet.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 01:01 PM

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Moshin Hamid
Posted By: Comp Guy No More

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 01:40 PM

"Strong Fathers Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know" by Dr. Meg Meeker, M.D.

Some parts of it are VERY scary!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 01:54 PM

<<< --- so glad she has a son... wink
Posted By: Ready to Retire

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 02:07 PM

I just finished "Run for Fear" by James Patterson. It was much better than some of his current ones have been. I am now reading the latest John Ghishom one. It is pretty good too.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
<<< --- so glad she has a son... wink

Well, you could also read "Boys Should Be Boys" by Dr. Meg Meeker M.D. That's my next read!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Tired of Winter
I just finished "Run for Fear" by James Patterson. It was much better than some of his current ones have been. I am now reading the latest John Ghishom one. It is pretty good too.

TOW - I'm not a James Patterson fan, so I've never put the effort into researching this rumor but I wonder if you might know the truth of it: I heard that he only writes the intro and conclusion to his books, then has a ghost writer do the rest. Do you happen to know if that's true?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 03:07 PM

I don't know if it is true or not. But this book was written by Patterson and another writer who's name I do no recall. So there may be some truth to that rumor. A lot of his books recently have had a co-author.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Tired of Winter

TOW - I'm not a James Patterson fan, so I've never put the effort into researching this rumor but I wonder if you might know the truth of it: I heard that he only writes the intro and conclusion to his books, then has a ghost writer do the rest. Do you happen to know if that's true?

me neither I read one of his books and it was so predictable I'll never read another one.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 03:24 PM

I love Patterson! Specifically the Alex Cross series. I have the entire collection and am reading them all.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 03:29 PM

I have read the whole Alex Cross series also. They were great althoug I wasn't real crazy about the latest one where he goes to Africa.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 03:31 PM

I'm not to that one yet. That's the new one? Cross Country?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 04:17 PM

Yes. You may like it but I wasn't crazy about it.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/17/09 04:44 PM

I have it, but I won't get to it for awhile. I am taking a detour with a couple other books.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/18/09 03:32 PM

I just ordered a new James Patterson book due out in April. Its part of the Women's Murder Club series with Lindsey Boxer, etc. And guess what-it has a co-author. You may be right Comp Guy.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:11 PM

i finished The Shack last night. i'm not sure how i feel about it. but i'm glad i read it.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:17 PM

I am reading Marley and Me... getting towards the end frown

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:20 PM

I'm reading Connelly's "Trunk Music"

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:22 PM

I'm reading Room for Improvement by Stacey Ballis...it's good so far...
Posted By: Tigg

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:26 PM

I haven't had time to read anything! cry

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Tigg

Because your too busy catching beads... laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Tigg

Because your too busy catching beads... laugh

And shoes laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:35 PM

LOLoad! laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:36 PM

laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 01:43 PM

I just finished Alive in Necropolis by Doug Dorst. Interesting, and well-crafted, but I wasn't thrilled by it.

Waiting for the new Barry Eisler book to come out.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 03:02 PM

Darkness, Take My Hand by Dennis Lehane.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 03:13 PM

"Cross Training, etc" by Jane Savoie. (yeah, it was time for a little text book reading!)
Posted By: TheManofSteel

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 03:17 PM

1. "Centering Prayer - Renewing an Ancient Christian Prayer Form." by M. Basil Pennington, OSB

2. "Brain Lock - Free Yourself from Obsessive Compulsive Behavior" by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, M.D.

2. "Brain Lock - Free Yourself from Obsessive Compulsive Behavior" by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, M.D.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 03:36 PM

LOL... laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Sox in 07
I am reading Marley and Me... getting towards the end frown

I was given that book for Christmas but so far haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I don't like to cry.

Otherwise - I've been doing a lot of re-reading of old favorites. My latest Amazon order is taking forever to get here (not really...it just seems that way).
Posted By: pjs

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 02/24/09 04:25 PM

Final Justice- Fern Michaels

It was good.

Have been reading Obama

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 02:59 PM

Finished "Confessions of a Wicked (Ugly?) Stepsister" by Gregory Maguire over the weekend. I think I am done with him. Also read "The Associate" by Grisham. Meh. Not as bad as a lot of his later work, but nowhere near "The Firm." But at least I didn't throw it in the trash, as I did with "The Appeal." Starting some new fantasy book, forget the author but it was recommended to me, I'll give it a shot.

The new Dana Stabenow was good though!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 03:08 PM

I am reading Scarpetta right now.

(Hi EGB!)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 03:10 PM

I just finished Jim Butcher's "White Night" - which was excellent - and a cute little paranormal mystery by Madelyn Alt (I forget the title). Time for a book store trip!

ETA a note for my fellow Kim Harrison fans: I won a signed copy of "White Witch, Black Curse" from one of my reading groups on Shelfari! grin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 03:18 PM

I am reading Scarpetta right now.

(Hi EGB!)

Hi chica!!!! grin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 03:30 PM

No fair Becca!

EGB...how bad was Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister compared to Wicked and Son of a Witch? I liked both of them and was considering Confessions.

I just finished Angels and Demons, I had to get it in before seeing the movie.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 03:42 PM

i am reading Scarpetta also, but am having a hard time sticking with it, so I switch back and forth with the Shack

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: RR JLJ
No fair Becca!

EGB...how bad was Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister compared to Wicked and Son of a Witch? I liked both of them and was considering Confessions.

Confessions was different than Wicked - not so much about politics (I didn't read Son of a Witch, myself.) I actually thought it was an easier read overall. It reminded me very much of "Girl with Pearl Earring", if you've read that? I just don't find his books entertaining enough to be high on my radar.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 04:27 PM

No fair Becca!

::blowing raspberry smiley::

grin

I made myself finish Wicked, but hated it. I'd rather shove bamboo slivers under my nails than read anything else of his.

I *love* Dan Brown books! What did you think of A&D? It and Deception Point are my favorites of his.

BTW - I won the book in February's page count contest. It was a personal goal to hit the 10,000 page mark in one month and now that I've done it........never again. Sheesh that was a LOT of reading. Even for a bookworm like me!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 08:10 PM

OMG that is a ton of reading, but your prize is very cool!

I have only read The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. I liked them both a lot. I stole my grandma's illustrated copy of Da Vinci Code and loved having actual pictures to look at while reading. I wish I would have ordered an illustrated copy of A&D instead of checking it out at the library. I'll have to add Deception Point to my list.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 08:40 PM

i am reading Scarpetta also, but am having a hard time sticking with it, so I switch back and forth with the Shack

After the first 150 pages or so, it gets better. I had a hard time with it, but then I couldn't put it down. Not sure I liked the ending though.

Reading Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke right now.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 08:47 PM

I just finished Jim Butcher's "White Night" - which was excellent -

How did you like the bit about sending the Billy Goat Gruff off to get a doughnut? I laughed out loud.....

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/03/09 09:44 PM

I actually don't recall that particular line...but a LOT of his stuff makes me laugh out loud. That's why I like 'em!

ETA: have you read any of his fantasy series? I'm not usually big on high fantasy (swords and elves and horses, oh my!), but have been thinking about trying them just because I've enjoyed the Dresden books so very much. A friend of mine who *does* like high fantasy and loves the Dresden books got part way into the first one and put it down. She and I don't always agree entirely on reading material though, so I though I'd look for a second opinion.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 02:28 PM

FINALLY finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

usually i can read a book in 2 nights at the most. this one took me forever. not good. not bad either, i suppose, but TG i can move on to something else.
Posted By: Ops

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 02:46 PM

Just started Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett.

I've read all of Dan Brown's, & I liked them all. A&D was my favorite by far. Can't wait for the movie, hope I'm not disappointed.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 05:13 PM

I picked up Deception Point last night. I'll probably start it over the weekend.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 05:34 PM

Is that Dan Brown?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 05:35 PM

Deception Point = Dan Brown.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 05:52 PM

He does too much NSA stuff for me, since I used to work there it is hard to get into stuff that is not right
Posted By: Miss Chee

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 06:02 PM

Because I need consistent, genuine, laughs I am re-reading "So Long & Thanks for all the Fish"
Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Miss Chee
Because I need consistent, genuine, laughs I am re-reading "So Long & Thanks for all the Fish"

Does that having anything to do with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? I remember that from it..

My wife finished reading The Shack and can't stop talking about it. She gave me the cliffe's note version and it sounds good..
Posted By: Fraudman CFCI

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 07:45 PM

Just finished Black Ops by WEB Griffin. His books are always a good read no matter which series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon
Originally Posted By: Miss Chee

Does that having anything to do with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? I remember that from it..

My wife finished reading The Shack and can't stop talking about it. She gave me the cliffe's note version and it sounds good..

Yup...Douglas Adams is, or was, the written incarnation of Monty Python.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 08:12 PM

Started reading Betrayal by John Lescroart but struggling to continue reading it. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and have not picked it up in over a week...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 08:43 PM

I picked up Deception Point last night. I'll probably start it over the weekend.

Enjoyed all four of his books that I read. Interested to see the movie Angels and Demons as well.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 08:46 PM

I'm looking forward to the movie.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/04/09 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Fraudman CPPCFCI
Just finished Black Ops by WEB Griffin. His books are always a good read no matter which series.

I can't read anything of his except The Corps series. I'm sad he seems to have quit writing that one.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/05/09 03:46 PM

Currently reading "Game of Thrones" by GRR Martin. It's a good read. Somewhat dark, but definitely hard to put down.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/06/09 05:15 PM

i'm listening to Double Bind.... i'm too distracted by the author's over-use of the words "moreover" and "nevertheless" to know if it's good. it's certainly over-long. and the narrator's voice is irritating.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/06/09 05:16 PM

Where the Wild Things Are

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/06/09 05:45 PM

I'm reading Lord of the Ring (I think it's about AG)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/06/09 05:46 PM

The Silent Man by Alex Berenson
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/06/09 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Peepers
I'm reading Lord of the Ring (I think it's about AG)

I heard it was a loose interpretation... couldn't quite fill the gap.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/09/09 01:15 PM

I just finished Jim Butcher's "White Night" - which was excellent -

How did you like the bit about sending the Billy Goat Gruff off to get a doughnut? I laughed out loud.....

Well, turns out there was a reason I didn't remember this part of White Night....it's part of Small Favor! smirk But yes, I laughed out loud. Especially when the Gruff said something about, "Prithee, wouldst thou like jelly inside thy doughnut?" grin *snort*

Hey - you never answered my question about his other fantasy series. Have you read any of them?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/09/09 01:18 PM

I am now reading the book "The Commoner", by John Burnham Schwartz, it is very good.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/09/09 01:50 PM

Becca,

Sorry about confusing "Small Favor" with "White Nights"...

I haven't read Jim Butcher's other series,....

Just finishing up The Collectors by Baldacci. It seems like his editor sent him a note saying that it was taking too long for him to link up the two main plot lines. So,...exactly in the middle of the book is one sentence that links the two plots....

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/09/09 07:51 PM

Well, this weekend my daughter had band practice and while I was waiting one of her friends handed me all of her stuff to hold during practice. Part of that stuff was "Twilight" - so I just started reading to pass the time. We went straight to Wal-mart after practice so I could get the book - actually got the first two. Finished "Twilight" around 2 am Sunday Morning and am halfway thru "New Moon". I was determined not to get hooked on this book but apparently it was not to be.
Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/09/09 08:48 PM

Well, this weekend my daughter had band practice and while I was waiting one of her friends handed me all of her stuff to hold during practice. Part of that stuff was "Twilight" - so I just started reading to pass the time. We went straight to Wal-mart after practice so I could get the book - actually got the first two. Finished "Twilight" around 2 am Sunday Morning and am halfway thru "New Moon". I was determined not to get hooked on this book but apparently it was not to be.

My wife recently finished all of them (four I think) in about 5-6 days.... Now is dying for the movie to be released on DVD.. Apparently there's another book coming out soon as well that she's drooling for hehe..

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 12:24 PM

Points at Walden and does best Nelson impersonation Ha ha!

grin

Welcome to the club!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 12:32 PM

Finished "New Moon" around 1 AM this morning - am terribly sleep deprived! Walmart didn't have the other 2 books so I'm going to order them from B&N. I should get caught up on my sleep by the time they arrive!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 01:19 PM

Another victim has fallen into the trap. No sleep, no rest until all are devoured!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 01:29 PM

yep yep!! the series will consume you

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 02:04 PM

*Mourns WaldenSouth's great fall*

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 02:23 PM

We tried to warn you!
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 09:17 PM

My new book just arrived and I can wait to start reading it!

A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 09:56 PM

promises in death...J.D. Robb

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 11:25 PM

i'm just starting (sort of) the "in death" series. i'm at book three.

then i might read book three of the twilight. (i was a little vampired-out after the first 2).

i just finished "The Gargoyle" by andrew davidson (i think). fantastic. definitely one i will re-read. definitely on my favorites list.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/10/09 11:35 PM

I have the whole series kitten, sometimes I just get in the mood to reread them all in a row.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 11:59 AM

i'll be starting immortal in death (book 3). and i have book club tonight, so they will, i'm sure, select another dark torturous book about repressed women, and i'll have to read that too. ::eye roll smiley::

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 03:00 PM

wht is the death series you all speak of...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 03:04 PM

it's by JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts, but don't let that scare you). it's set in the future, and it's about a cop and her lovah. it's a pretty good series, i think. although there are about 30 books in the series and i'm only on book 3.
Posted By: Spivol

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 04:00 PM

I recently read a book called "Death: a life" It is a satirical autobiography by Death about his life. Check it out, it was a fun read.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 04:06 PM

SPIVOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you up to???

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: erin go kitten
it's by JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts, but don't let that scare you). it's set in the future, and it's about a cop and her lovah. it's a pretty good series, i think. although there are about 30 books in the series and i'm only on book 3.

dang I guess that series could keep me busy for awhile!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: *nUnZeO*
SPIVOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you up to???

I know...it's been a long time. Actually it's been a couple years.
Well, at my last job I didn't have external internet access. Now, I do and am loving every minute of it. It's good to see some of the familiar names still on here.
As for what I have been up to?? I had moved to Missouri and was working for AIG. When they started to crash I bailed and went back to my old bank in Oklahoma. It was a good thing too. Shortly after I tendered my resignation they closed my office down. I would have been pooched.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 04:31 PM

YAY!!!! Well yay to havin you back!!! Smart move!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/11/09 04:36 PM

Well thank you.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/16/09 03:45 PM

He does too much NSA stuff for me, since I used to work there it is hard to get into stuff that is not right

I really struggled to get through Digital Fortress for that very reason! I didn't work there, but DH has and still stops by periodically (he's with INSCOM). I asked him to look around behind the building for the skylights of the underground section, but he just rolled his eyes at me smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/16/09 04:05 PM

Though I really enjoy Dan Brown's books, this is one of the reasons I primarily read fantasy - I don't have to worry about the accuracy of the material. grin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/16/09 05:41 PM

now James Bamford works on NSA are much closer to the truth, he worked there and got out before they started making you sign an agreement for that anything you get published it has to pass before NSA first, including resumes. Big pain in the butt

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/16/09 05:52 PM

I'm reading "white tiger", well, trying to anyway, haven't been in the reading mode lately and haven't finished the last 4 books I started...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/16/09 06:36 PM

sounds like me. Now I started Secrets by Jude Devereux (prob spelled her last name wrong).
Been doing word searches and not finishing the books. frown

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 01:19 PM

Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 01:41 PM

I just finished "Black Order", by Collins, it was great.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Devil McQueen
I just finished "Black Order", by Collins, it was great.

Collins or Rollins?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 02:19 PM

Ooooh, maybe it was Rollins... It was the first book I read of his.

Did you read it?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 02:22 PM

Not yet, but I was doing a search on the title so I could reserve it at that library. (Well, after I finish Daemon. Fault Line, and Drood)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 02:23 PM

It was good, science, intelligent design, Darwin... very cool stuff.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 02:55 PM

I'm halfway through a re-read of the Anita Blake books at the moment. I'd almost forgotten how much fun these are.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 03:03 PM

Lee Childs "One Shot"...as always...the "Reacher" books are hard to put down at night!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 05:59 PM

I read the first two of the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison last week while I was on vacation. I stopped at a Barnes & Noble yesterday to pick up the rest of the series and they had all but the next one I need to read! frown Ordered it online this morning so it will be a few days before I can continue that journey!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 06:00 PM

Wonder why it's always that way?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 06:05 PM

IDK, it is probably the higher power's way of telling me to get my nose out of a book and get back to life! laugh cry

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/17/09 06:32 PM

I read the first two of the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison last week while I was on vacation. I stopped at a Barnes & Noble yesterday to pick up the rest of the series and they had all but the next one I need to read! frown Ordered it online this morning so it will be a few days before I can continue that journey!

LOL! Dontcha hate it when that happens? My favorite is when the store's computer says they still have a copy, but it's nowhere to be found. I walked the ENTIRE Books A Million one night, bound and determined to track down this one book that I'd checked there for several times and the system always said they had one copy. I found a couple of others I'd been searching for (nowhere near where they should have been), but never did locate that one.

Amazon is a wonderful thing.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/22/09 12:53 PM

The next Stephanie Plum novel ("Finger Lickin' 15") comes out June 23!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/22/09 01:38 PM

Drood by Dan Simmons

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/22/09 10:31 PM

Run for Your Life - James Patterson

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/23/09 03:00 PM

Just started Sacred by Dennis Lehane.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/23/09 03:26 PM

I'm about halfway through The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. It is fascinating and I am loving it, but I have a feeling I might be crying by the end.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/23/09 04:42 PM

I just finished The Killing Hour, by Lisa Gordon. Really good.

Scarpetta was so-so, I thought.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/23/09 04:50 PM

I still cant get into scarpetta, I have to keep putting it down to read something else

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 05:42 PM

Ooooh - publication date set for the new Diana Gabaldon book! Excerpt from her website:

An Echo in the Bone will be published (always assuming that I finish writing the dang thing one of these days Right Soon Now) on September 22, 2009! Or at least that's what Random House says in their catalog copy (see below).

“The eagerly anticipated seventh novel in Diana Gabaldon’s worldwide bestselling Outlander saga (seventeen million copies in print!) is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time! [modest cough. Look, I didn’t write the headline, OK?]

Jamie Fraser, erstwhile Jacobite and reluctant rebel, knows three things about the American rebellion: The Americans will win, unlikely as that seems in 1777; being on the winning side is no guarantee of survival; and he’d rather die than face his illegitimate son—a young lieutenant in the British army—across the barrel of a gun.

His time-traveling wife, Claire, knows that the Americans will win, but not what the ultimate price may be. That price won’t include Jamie’s life or happiness, though—not if she has anything to say about it.

And in the relative safety of the 20th century, their daughter Brianna and her husband, Roger, watch the unfolding of her parents story in the past—a past that may be sneaking up behind their own family.”

[yes, yes, yes, Young Ian is in the book. So is Rollo, the White Sow, and all kinds of other interesting people, but they only gave me 120 words to write a synopsis with.]
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 05:44 PM

Still stuck on "oh the places you will go."

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 05:48 PM

Just started "Gone" by Lisa Gardner

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 05:49 PM

you might want to go back and try one fish two fish red fish blue fish...
wink

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 05:49 PM

I have just started the 2nd Graham RR Martin, "Clash of Kings." ("Game of Thrones" was the first.) These are *really* good reads, I am enjoying them very much.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 05:53 PM

DQ have you read any Karin Slaughter? You and I seem to enjoy the same authors.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 05:56 PM

kms, I think I read one of hers, but I can't remember. I like forensics and mysteries. I also love Michael Connelly's stuff.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 05:57 PM

Another Life by Andrew Vachss
Posted By: jat

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 06:21 PM

I just read "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" by Stieg Larsson, a Swedish mystery writer. Its a great page turner that you can't put down. Sadly this writer wrote an entire triolagy, (this is the first), turned them into his publisher, and died of a heart attach. The 2nd book is coming out this summer and I can't wait.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 06:22 PM

It's called The Girl Who Played With Fire. It was already out in New Zealand when I was there in December.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/24/09 07:32 PM

DQ hers are forensics/mysteries. If you are going to read them I would do it in order, I didnt realized til my second that it was a series

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 11:44 AM

Thanks, I will check it out. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 05:35 PM

I'm reading how to get a date in 50 tries or less. ::Hork::

I'm half way the book, and it isn't working. cry

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 05:37 PM

I'm reading how to get rid of poision ivy on extra large man hands.

It's proving not useful. eek

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 05:39 PM

I read "How to make a dishtowel dress in less than 24 hours", it came out grate! laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 05:40 PM

I'm writing a book on how to look handsome and worry free!

Is it working? Don't I take the cake? Why aren't the ladies falling over me? Oh Oh that will be anther chapter in my book.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 06:15 PM

I'm reading a book about how to make a cheesecake in less than 72 hours. It's fascinating.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 06:19 PM

I'm reading a book called, "Aquanet: It's More Than A Process"
Posted By: TB 12

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 06:19 PM

I am reading about how to prepare lunch 3 times per week for a group of unGRATEful people.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 06:37 PM

I am reeding a bok abut spulleng!!

I lern a lots!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/25/09 06:42 PM

I'm looking to read, "The Black Arts: An Absorbing Account of Witchcraft, Demonology, Astrology, and Other Mystical Practices Throughout the Ages."

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/26/09 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Devel Queen
I'm reading a book about how to make a cheesecake in less than 72 hours. It's fascinating.

OMCod, I just spit out my tea... laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 03/26/09 11:45 AM

laugh laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 01:28 PM

Tactics in Counterinsurgency (FMI3-24.2)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 01:34 PM

I am reading Connelly's Bosch series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 01:56 PM

Let me know how you like it, please. Someone recommended it to me a little while ago, but I've not gotten any of the books yet.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 01:58 PM

Liberty and Tyranny - A Conservative Manifesto by Mark Levin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:03 PM

I love the whole Bosch series. They are gritty and tough and suspenseful.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:07 PM

I'm looking for a new fluff series to fill in the time until my regular authors' new books come out. I prefer paranormal, but not sci-fi or horror. High fantasy is OK sometimes but isn't usually my preference. I like my fiction as far from reality as possible, but make exceptions for light-hearted fluff like Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" series or Rita Mae Brown's "Mrs. Murhpy" mysteries. Can anyone recommend something to fill the next couple of weeks or so?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:16 PM

I'm looking for a new fluff series to fill in the time until my regular authors' new books come out. I prefer paranormal, but not sci-fi or horror. High fantasy is OK sometimes but isn't usually my preference. I like my fiction as far from reality as possible, but make exceptions for light-hearted fluff like Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" series or Rita Mae Brown's "Mrs. Murhpy" mysteries. Can anyone recommend something to fill the next couple of weeks or so?

It won't fill up that much of your time, but you might try The Sacred Book of the Werewolf by Victor Pelevin.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:34 PM

Thanks, I'll write that one down.

You read Jim Butcher, right? Have you read Backup? It's all about Thomas and only 70 pages long, but it's hardback and has a HB price, as well. I'm having a hard time talking myself into buying it.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:39 PM

The Conscience of a Conservative - Barry Goldwater

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:40 PM

No, I hadn't heard about that. I'll charm my local library into getting a copy....

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:45 PM

You don't happen to know Turn Coat's release date, do you? I know it's soon, but for some strange reason I haven't put it on my list. The next releases I'm looking for are:
4/10 - Laurell K Hamilton, "The Laughing Corpse" (HB graphic novel)
4/28 - JR Ward, "Lover Avenged" & Jocelyn Drake "Dayhunter"
5/5 - Charlaine Harris "Dead & Gone"
6/2 - Laurell K Hamilton "Skin Trade"

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:47 PM

It's due out today.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 02:49 PM

Woo-hoo! I guess I'll be hitting the bookstore tonight after all!
Posted By: TheManofSteel

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 03:26 PM

I am re-reading The Hobbit for like the Umpteenth time before I read The Lord of the Rings for the umpteenth time and The Silmarillion for the umpteenth time. And then I will read afew of Tolkien's other works for the first time.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/07/09 04:07 PM

I love the whole Bosch series. They are gritty and tough and suspenseful.

Michael Connelly is da bomb!
Posted By: Pointers Rock

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/08/09 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Liberty and Tyranny - A Conservative Manifesto by Mark Levin

Is this the new one by "The Great One"?
I heard he was coming out with a new book

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/08/09 05:25 PM

I believe it said: by Mark Levin
Posted By: davidm

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/08/09 10:21 PM

If you are a spiritual person, The Shack is a great read.
Posted By: NancyF

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/09/09 03:37 PM

Bonk by Mary Roach - about science and sex; laugh out loud funny

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lhari (not sure of the spelling) - short stories; excellent

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/14/09 06:11 PM

Judith Krug, founder of "Banned Books Week", passed away Saturday.

Flashlight Worthy Books, a great website for book recommendations, has posted this list of the 10 most "banned" books of 2007.

personally, i would recommend several of them.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/14/09 06:20 PM

I finished reading Wicked the day before we saw the play. Both are very good, but they're not the same. Now I'm reading Son of a Witch and am about 1/3 through--also very good.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/14/09 07:43 PM

The Lottery was a big to-do about possibly being on the banned list when I was in HS.

We read it anyways.
Posted By: Bagweaver

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/14/09 07:47 PM

"The Cat Who" books are good, light, filler reading.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/14/09 07:48 PM

i like those books too, bagweaver. smile
Posted By: Trees

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/22/09 02:27 PM

Little Heathens: Life on an Iowa Farm During the Depression. Comes complete with recipes! I was tired of dramas, tear jerkers, schmaltz and "high art". I picked this up and it is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Truthful. Gives you a peak at a rough period in our history but is uplifting. if you need to take a break from deep thinkers, etc. try this one.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/22/09 02:28 PM

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/22/09 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: spa kitten
i like those books too, bagweaver. smile

me too. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/24/09 02:03 AM

Except the Cat Who books have gotten really bad, the last 4 or so. Like either someone else is writing them or she's just gotten senile. It's disappointing, because the earlier part of the series is a fun, light read.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/24/09 12:26 PM

I'm reading Flashback (can't remember the author offhand)... medical suspense novel.
Posted By: G-Street Band

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/24/09 05:01 PM

Last month I read Just Another Soldier: A Year on the Ground in Iraq, by Jason Christopher Hartley. I enjoyed the modern perspective of the US overseas soldier, compared to Mailer or other war storytellers. PC, DVDs, Internet, sleep-this is mostly the life, except for missions which may take up an hour or two or a day, but the "war" part of the soldier's day is so different from that of a soldier in the historical wars. I recommend the bk as a good illustration of current warfare from the grunt's point.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 11:10 AM

Just bought "Natural Girl" by Carl Hiaasen and "The Innocent" by Harlan Coben. Should keep me busy for a little while. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 01:27 PM

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

Just finished Pride and Prejudice, myself. What are the odds?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 01:52 PM

pretty odd, I'd say.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 02:10 PM

bought and read "Fault Line" by Barry Eisler last week, quick read, but a little predictable. Entertaining reading at best, almost seems like he had a deadline to meet.

Now reading "The Insulin Dependent Diet" as my wife just found out she is producing too much and we will be changing our eating habits to make her life easier and to hopefully avaoid her needing daily shots. Not a very interesting read...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 02:17 PM

but it's nice that you are supporting her, happy. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore
bought and read "Fault Line" by Barry Eisler last week, quick read, but a little predictable. Entertaining reading at best, almost seems like he had a deadline to meet.

At first I was irritated with how much attention the family drama was taking up, then I realized that's what Barry was going for, the family drama was taking up the characters' attention....

As far as the deadline comment, I've noticed that lately with books by Robert Parker and James Patterson. It seems they get a letter from their publisher and the plot magically resolves in 3 pages...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 02:40 PM

And John Grisham as well...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 03:45 PM

I just started Hold Tight by Harlan Coben.
Posted By: ktac MITCH

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 04:06 PM

I highly recommend the last 2 I read

7 days on the links of Utopia - by Dr. David Cook Sports Psychologist

Same Kind of Different as me - by Ron Hall, International Art Dealer & Denver Moore, homeless man who grew up in virtual slavery on a La. Plantation

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 04:08 PM

ktac, was Same Kind good? that is in my to read pile.

i mean, i know you said you highly recommend it, but more deets, please. smile
Posted By: ktac MITCH

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 04:28 PM

Yes kitten it was very good. I don't read much & what I do is normally something along the lines of spys etc. in order to hold my interest (Shaiton's Fire / Fule the Fire / Firefire Blue by Jake Theone)
SO - for me to read something that is a true story is saying something. It is a story of a banker turned art dealer and a homeless ex-con and what/who brought them together, a great story and a great book.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/27/09 04:29 PM

::moves it to the top of my read pile::

thanks, ktac! smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/29/09 02:36 AM

Reading Baldacci's newest "First Family." It's good - I have a hard time putting it down, I want to know what's going to happen next!
Posted By: JacF

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/29/09 03:55 AM

Currently reading BoneMan's Daughters by Ted Dekker.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/29/09 12:34 PM

I can't read right now. I have 6 books that I've started. I don't know what's wrong w/me crazy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/29/09 12:55 PM

House of Cards by William Cohan

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/29/09 09:39 PM

Almost finished with JD Robb's Promises in Death. Then I'll start Loitering With Intent by Stuart Woods or Fatally Flaky by Diane Mott Davidson.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/29/09 10:07 PM

Promises was good, CF. I am reading Run for your Life- James Patterson but it isn't holding my interest. on a semi-related note, has anyone caught the show Castle?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/29/09 10:10 PM

I read Run for your Life befor PID and thought it was OK but not great. I've been watching Castle this season - so far so good.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 04/30/09 01:01 PM

I finished JR Ward's 'Lover Avenged' yesterday. Good book - it definitely made up for the last one!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/05/09 08:51 PM

Picked up my copy of the new Charlaine Harris book "Dead and Gone" at lunch today. Can't wait to see what new adventures Sookie faces!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/05/09 09:06 PM

I'm over half way through the first book. I'm not so sure about this series yet.

(Bill does not even compare to Kisten.)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/05/09 09:16 PM

Kisten! cry

I'm lost in no book world right now....contemplating the Sookie Stackhouse series but not quite sure yet...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/05/09 09:31 PM

I bought the boxed set of books 1-7. If you can hold out a bit (or read something else) I can send you these and you can save your $.

I hope I get into them a little more as I get farther in. Becca's not given me a bad recommendation yet.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/05/09 09:40 PM

I can hold out for a bit Jen. Let me know when you are ready to part with them!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/05/09 10:35 PM

I just started Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein."

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 12:43 PM

I'm over half way through the first book. I'm not so sure about this series yet.

Just hang in there, Jen - they are kind of slow to get going. Remember how Dead Witch Walking was mostly back-story and set-up? These are kind of the same way. When my friend got me to start reading them, I almost quit in the middle of the first one. She gave me the "No, you have to keep going! They get really good!" pep talk and I'm glad I listened, but it took me until nearly the end of #2 to really get into them.

Now, having said all that: no, Bill does not compare to Kisten. Not even in the same league. And I will admit that these are somewhat......tamer? Is that a word?........than most of the other paranormal books that I read/recommend. They're fluff, but they're fun fluff once the storyline gets going.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 12:53 PM

Data Mining for Intelligence, Fraud & Criminal Detection by Christopher Westphal

Afghanistan - Geospatial Analysis Reveals Patterns in Terrorist Incidents 2004 - 2008 Open Source Center
Posted By: Bailey.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 01:36 PM

The Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 01:37 PM

i'm done.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 01:37 PM

it was good.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 01:39 PM

I read the Little Prince again last night smile
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 01:49 PM

"Liberty and Tyranny" by Mark Levin

"The Bible" by God

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 02:38 PM

Just hang in there, Jen - they are kind of slow to get going. Remember how Dead Witch Walking was mostly back-story and set-up? These are kind of the same way. When my friend got me to start reading them, I almost quit in the middle of the first one. She gave me the "No, you have to keep going! They get really good!" pep talk and I'm glad I listened, but it took me until nearly the end of #2 to really get into them.

Now, having said all that: no, Bill does not compare to Kisten. Not even in the same league. And I will admit that these are somewhat......tamer? Is that a word?........than most of the other paranormal books that I read/recommend. They're fluff, but they're fun fluff once the storyline gets going.

I'll keep going...I'm going to have a lot of time to read in the next month or two.

I'll let you know when I'm finished Sarah!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 02:52 PM

Finally finished another Lee Childs "Reacher" books...picked up one I hadn't read yet at Wally World yesterday and still have a borrowed one at home to start. (all "Reacher's")

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/06/09 03:04 PM

I just finished James Patterson's "8th something". I can't rmemeber what. Its one of the Women's Murder Club series. It was pretty good. Better than the last one I read of his in the Alex Cross series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 11:39 AM

I just finished A Dance With The Devil by Barbara Bentley. It's her story about her 14 year marriage to a (later) certified psychopath and how he manipulated her, conned her, stole from her, mentally abused her, and tried to kill her. She later tried to get the divorce laws changed in CA. I didn't care for her style of writing, but it was a compelling story and a quick read.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 01:52 PM

sounds like a lifetime made-for-tv-movie starring valerie bertinelli. laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 01:56 PM

oooooo, good thought!!! she would work well!!! ed harris would be good for the psycho.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 02:03 PM

i'd watch it... if i had cable... and a couple of drinks... and another channel on...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: RR joker
Finally finished another Lee Childs "Reacher" books...picked up one I hadn't read yet at Wally World yesterday and still have a borrowed one at home to start. (all "Reacher's")

Love Jack Reacher !! smile
Posted By: FBH

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 04:31 PM

I read "Old Man and the Sea" a couple weeks ago. Good story! 129 pages of goodness! It's a quick read.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 04:55 PM

Are there any newer Reacher books? I'd read all of those up until about a year ago. Anything newer?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 04:57 PM

Dragonfly in Amber - Gabaldon

Excellent series of books!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 07:02 PM

Nutcase. It's a new author for me so I don't remember her name.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bagweaver
Dragonfly in Amber - Gabaldon

Excellent series of books!

Love these! The new one (Echo in the Bone? I think?) will be out in the fall - late September, it looks like.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/27/09 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Bagweaver
Are there any newer Reacher books? I'd read all of those up until about a year ago. Anything newer?

check here http://www.leechild.com/

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 05/28/09 11:59 AM

Thanks! I'll have to check from home.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 08:28 PM

So hopefully Finger Lickin Fifteen is sitting on my doorstep when I get home! Anyone have their copy yet?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 08:36 PM

Yep. Went to Walmart at lunch Tuesday and bought it. Read it Tuesday night (didn't take long, it's only about 300 pages). Stephanie is BACK! grin It was soooooooooooooo much better than 14. The slapstick is back, Ranger is back....the funny is BACK!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 08:51 PM

Yeehaw! Ranger is back?!?!?!! That is all I needed to hear!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 08:52 PM

So THAT's where I'm headed after work today. Thanks for the reminder.

btw, The First Familyby David Balducci is a good read too. Not a fast read tho. You need to pay attention because the plot takes lots of interesting twists. I liked the two detectives and recently found another couple books he's done with them in it so I'll read those after Stephanie.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 08:52 PM

Just finished Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. Tremendous, tremendous book.

Starting The Last Quarry by Max Allan Collins.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 09:02 PM

rereading great gatsby
Posted By: bOaty

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 09:02 PM

The Crossing by Cormac MacCarthy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 09:35 PM

Yep. Went to Walmart at lunch Tuesday and bought it. Read it Tuesday night (didn't take long, it's only about 300 pages). Stephanie is BACK! grin It was soooooooooooooo much better than 14. The slapstick is back, Ranger is back....the funny is BACK!

I might have to actually breakdown and buy this book now. It isn't supposed to be out in Amazon's Kindle format for weeks and I don't think I can wait. I love Stephanie and Ranger but Lulu and Grandma Mazur can make a book can't they?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/25/09 09:57 PM

Halfway through. I kind of feel like this one, at least in the first half, is a bit raunchier than the rest? Or maybe I'm misremembering the others, haven't read them in a while. Just sort of stronger language than I am thinking I am used to for the Stephanie books.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 02:02 AM

My copy came in the mail today. i can't wait to start. Lula is my favorite character of all. Have you listened to the audit versions of any of her books? We listen to them in the car and my husband sometimes has trouble keeping the car on the road because he is laughing so hard. its really funny when you hear them all talk.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 11:07 AM

I read "Nature Girl" by Carl Hiaasan on vacation.

It was pretty good.

Trying to decide what's next....

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: E! (gb)
Halfway through. I kind of feel like this one, at least in the first half, is a bit raunchier than the rest? Or maybe I'm misremembering the others, haven't read them in a while. Just sort of stronger language than I am thinking I am used to for the Stephanie books.

See, I think the 'raunch' is part of what's been missing the last couple of books. Stephanie and Lula are notorious potty mouths (or at least were for the first 10 or 12 installments) and the campy, slapstick humor is what (to me) made this series. Both of those things were missing from 13 to a degree and 14 entirely. I would go into the few faults I found with this one, but don't want to spoil it so will wait until the usual suspects have finished it first. wink *Then* we can have a spoiler thread. grin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 02:35 PM

Oooooh! Didn't know about the audio version! Look out BAM! Love all of the characters.

I'm reading Moon Pies and Movie Stars - not a heavy reader - a kind of back in the day book in the sixties. It's kind of cute.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 02:49 PM

Just finished "My Grandfathers Son" by Clarence Thomas. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 02:51 PM

A woman I work with gave me The Host by Stephanie Meyer to read. I'm not convinced that I want to read it but I'll give it a try.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 03:00 PM

Just read STephen Frey's The Power Broker, it was good.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 03:05 PM

A woman I work with gave me The Host by Stephanie Meyer to read. I'm not convinced that I want to read it but I'll give it a try.

I didn't care for it, but then again I don't really like SciFi anyway. Aliens aren't my thing. The characters are interesting, though...and the writing style is closer to Breaking Dawn than the first three Twilights, so if you liked that one you might like The Host.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 03:58 PM

I didn't care for it, but then again I don't really like SciFi anyway. Aliens aren't my thing. The characters are interesting, though...and the writing style is closer to Breaking Dawn than the first three Twilights, so if you liked that one you might like The Host.

I don't like SciFi at all. But I should probably step outside my box and try it. I was I happy I did with Harry Potter and The Twilight series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 04:22 PM

I've been reading all the urban vampire-fantasy stuff lately. I really liked You Suck by Christopher Moore and right now I'm reading Gil's All Fright Diner by A Lee Martinez, which is very funny. Anyone else have suggestions along these lines? I've also been sampling Sookie Stakhouse, Anita Blake, Dresdon Files, etc. but I'm looking more for stand-alones, rather than series.

I just finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. The two most interesting things about it were a) it was on the NON-FICTION best-seller list (???), and b) it had some really funny, tongue-in-cheek book club discussion questions at the end. Other than that, it was really pretty stupid.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 04:26 PM

Stupid? With all that ultraviolent zombie mayhem? That's unpossible! I heard a rumor that originally, there were no zombies in the book at all, but the editor suggested adding them to increase sales..... (DEL knows what I'm talking about)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 04:29 PM

Finally got my hands on Twilight & read it Wednesday & yesterday, started New Moon last night.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 04:34 PM

Re: Books on tape. A number of years ago, I took along Paul Riser's book on couples and ended up reading it out loud. We laughed and did a lot of 'oh yeah, remember when we did that's'. He still likes it when I read outloud to him. But he couldn't believe the when I read the beginning of Evanovich's Fifteen when Lulu explained why she was late to work. That's all he'll hear from that book tho 'cause I'm not willing to share Ranger with him. blush

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 04:50 PM

So hopefully Finger Lickin Fifteen is sitting on my doorstep when I get home! Anyone have their copy yet?

I looked these up as they sound interesting. There are numbered series books and then in-between the numbers books. Are those essential to the series??? I thought about looking on Ebay for a good deal.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DEL
I've been reading all the urban vampire-fantasy stuff lately. I really liked You Suck by Christopher Moore and right now I'm reading Gil's All Fright Diner by A Lee Martinez, which is very funny. Anyone else have suggestions along these lines? I've also been sampling Sookie Stakhouse, Anita Blake, Dresdon Files, etc. but I'm looking more for stand-alones, rather than series.

I just finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. The two most interesting things about it were a) it was on the NON-FICTION best-seller list (???), and b) it had some really funny, tongue-in-cheek book club discussion questions at the end. Other than that, it was really pretty stupid.

Pull up a chair, DEL. wink Urban fastasy is my favored genre, and I read a LOT. Most of the best stuff seems to run in series, though. My favorites are (author/title):
1. For action: Kim Harrison/Rachel Morgan, Laurell K Hamilton/Anita Blake, Lilith Saintcrow/Dante Valentine and Jill Kismet (two separate short series), Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden, Jeanniene Frost/Night Huntress, Patricia Briggs/Mercy Thompson, Marjorie M. Liu/Hunter Kiss.
2. Light reading, silliness: anything by Katie MacAlister, anything by MaryJanice Davidson.
3. Paranormal romance with some plot: JR Ward/Black Dagger Brotherhood, Sherrilyn Kenyon/Dark Hunter, Charlaine Harris/Sookie Stackhouse.
4. Paranormal romance with very little plot to speak of: Lynsay Sands/Argeneau Vampires.

There are more, but I'm not coming up with names off the top of my head. I don't have a lot of stand alones, and the main one I like you've already named (Christopher Moore).

ETA: all of the series I listed above make very little sense if you read them out of order. I actually had to bribe a friend into giving Kim Harrison a second try after she'd picked up the #3 Rachel Morgan and tried to read it as a stand-alone.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Queen Mum

I looked these up as they sound interesting. There are numbered series books and then in-between the numbers books. Are those essential to the series??? I thought about looking on Ebay for a good deal.

I don't know if you'd call the in-betweens "essential"....but they are very good and are the only place one of my absolute favorite characters appears.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 05:16 PM

Finished "15" this morning. I think it needed Sally. (Can't you just see Sally in the hot dog suit at the end??)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 05:21 PM

Oh, definitely!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 05:44 PM

I bought a set on eBay for a pretty reasonable price.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 06:37 PM

Thanks for the info, Becca! I will keep this list with me. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/26/09 06:46 PM

Anytime. And not to sound smug, but if you want to know about any certain paranormal/urban fantasy authors just ask. Either I've probably read them or one of my friends has (we're a pair of bookworms with several-thousand-page-per-month fiction habits) and I'm always happy to pass info along.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/29/09 01:48 PM

She's not kidding...she's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to books!

I haven't read 15 yet...I'm waiting on the library (my OCD side wont let me buy a hardback when the rest of the series is in paperback). PLEASE hide any spoilers or clearly mark them so I can avoid them.

I need a healthy dose of Ranger...I'm so excited I cant wait. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/29/09 02:35 PM

I read 15 yesterday. I liked it...lots of Ranger! wink

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 06/29/09 02:40 PM

ok, I'm telling you now not to read this, JLJ.
Click to reveal..
I was kinda disappointed with the way 15 ended. All of a sudden you knew the who-done-it's without much fanfare. Not to mention where Stephanie ended up on the last page. This book just wasn't as tight as some of the others have been.
I tried to hedge my words just in case you can't control yourself. wink I'm on to another David Balduci book tonight. I also grabbed a copy of Julie and Julia that I want to read before the movie comes out later this summer. I'd read outside on my swing if the mosquitos weren't big enough to carry my book away!!! eek I itch all over today.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 01:08 PM

I finished "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" over the weekend. The story picks up after about 200 pages or so and gets pretty interesting as it goes on. The set-up and backstory that occupy the first 1/3 of the book are almost painfully slow, but once the plots (yes, that's a plural) take shape it gets much better.

Truffle - I'd say it's worth reading. I don't know if I'll read the others or not simply because I'm not crazy about the writing style, but the story was actually pretty good. I'd place his style somewhere between John Grisham and Dan Brown, but closer to the Grisham end of the spectrum. I compare him to Brown only because his plot twists were much more complicated than Grisham's simple "whodunnit" style, and - like Brown - all the connections are not made until the very end.

Now I'm killing time with a couple of short story re-reads until the new Lilith Saintcrow and Jeanienne Frost books come out tomorrow. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 01:26 PM

Just finished "another life" by andrew vacchs...now re-reading LA Requiem by Robert Crais. These are 2 of my favorite authors...
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 01:31 PM

I'm almost finished with "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. It's really shed some light on the food industry and the necessity to become more locavor. On a side note, I made mozz cheese from a gallon of milk (recipe in the book).

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 01:31 PM

Blameless in Abaddon by James Morrow

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 01:43 PM

The Beckham Experiment: How the World's Most Famous Athlete Tried to Conquer America by Grant Wahl

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 02:49 PM

Parnell Hall's "Puzzle Lady" mysteries.
Posted By: Bomb Mom

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 03:08 PM

RR Becca have you read any Christine Feehan's books? The Dark Series is great.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 03:28 PM

I have not. I picked one up a while back and realized that it was way late into the series so I put it down and just haven't gotten around to finding the first ones. I refuse to read a series out of order. I'm about to start replacing all my hardbacks (with a few special exceptions) with paperbacks. I'm out of shelf space!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 03:35 PM

<----- is a book snob.

I only buy hardcover. eek

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 04:01 PM

I prefer hardcovers, especially of the ones that I read repeatedly...but they do take up more room and I've already got most available flat surfaces in my house stacked high with books. It's a bit annoying.

Tangent rant: WHY are most bookshelves now 12" or more deep? I've got one stacked 3 rows deep in paperbacks and finding anything I'm looking for is a nightmare. I have one small bookcase of my grandmother's that is only about 8 inches deep and it's PERFECT. Who has 12" books? Seriously? Unless you are a serious hardback collector (and very few of mine are actually quite that large) why in the world would you need shelves that size?!?!?!?!

OK....sorry. Rant over. I've been bookshelf shopping for nearly a year now and it's starting to really pi$$ me off.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 04:03 PM

bookshelves aren't for books any more...

i don't really care if it is hardback or paperback, i read and turn over so many i'm just interested in the content...certainly not a collector, but a sharer

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 05:06 PM

Mr. C is correct - to so many folks books are just another design accessory - not something you might actually read! they put books and other art d'objects on the bookshelves.
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 06:43 PM

Thank you, one and all, for your postings in this thread! I've just constructed a list of 35 books I want to read. My church is having a book sale this weekend and my library is having a book sale in a couple of weeks, and I will be searching out as many of these titles as I can find at 50cents each for paperback and $1.00 each for hardcover - love the bargains!!! I'm not usually so organized with a list, and just grab stuff/authors which catches my eye and therefore I sometimes buy a series way out of order; now this year I'll have order and sanity prior to shopping! Madness!

I am currently reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (loving it so far), "Pride and Prejudice" (the original, no zombies - must be my 20th time through this one)), and the 4th book in the Meyer "Twilight" series (not as good as the others, IMHO).

Have a terrific afternoon and happy reading... I'm on vacation in 4 hours!!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 06:57 PM

I'm waiting for the next WEB Griffin book due out next month.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Fraudman CPPCFCI
I'm waiting for the next WEB Griffin book due out next month.

Me too, Fraud, but not for me - I ship them over to a group of deployed Marines and they pass them around. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 07:27 PM

I like WEB Griffin, but they have gotten to be routinely predictable...no more for me

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 07:32 PM

"Geek Love" Katherine Dunn

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 07:33 PM

Finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain."

Beginning "The Night of the Gun"

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 07:37 PM

"Swimsuit" by James Patterson and someone else. It was OK. I wish he would go back to the Murder Club of Alex Cross.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 07:51 PM

i think those are better Ms Spring, because they are written by him. There is no saying how much he contributes to all of these other books out there with him as a co-author

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 08:07 PM

I know. I just wish he would stick to his own books. They are so much better.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 09:08 PM

The only WEB Griffin I read is the Corps, and I'm afraid he's abandoned that series altogether. Sigh.
Posted By: AngelinaLM

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 09:26 PM

A really funny read is the Chelsea Handler book, "Are you there Vodka..." I read it in 3 hours. laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/27/09 09:54 PM

Fire and Ice by J.A. Jance arrived today. I like the Sheriff Brady series but haven't read any of the Beaumont ones (TMK)- will be interesting to see how she combines the two.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 04:47 AM

Thanks for that recommendation, Angelina. I'm always looking for a good comedy book.

Paul Riser's Couplehood and Babyhood books were good fun. You laugh and nod thinking 'yea. I did that too.'

Erma Bombeck used to write for the Chicago Sun Times, I think. Anyway, her book 'If Life is a Bowl of Cherries...' It's still fun to read all these years later.

Most other supposed comedy books end up too foul to really be considered humor for me.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 12:46 PM

TR - read Carl Hiassen...not raunchy at all, but really way out wacky humor...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 03:05 PM

Going at lunch today in search of new releases:
"Destined for an Early Grave" - Jeaniene Frost
"Redemption Alley" - Lilith SaintCrow
"FaeFever" (paperback) - Karen Marie Moning

grin

ETA a PSA:
WalMart only puts out "new releases" from what they consider to be Best-Selling authors on Tuesdays (new release day). Any other new releases for that week that they decide to carry *might* make the selves in the course of their regular stocking later in the week, but it depends entirely upon whether or not the regional person for books for your store decides to order that particular author. This announcement courtesy of our regional book guy who busted me digging through the new release boxes piled in the book row at lunch today.

**rant** OK, I understand not having the Lilith SaintCrow book in today's delivery, she's kind of obscure. But Jeaniene Frost and Karen Marie Moning?!?! They friggin' have other books by those two on their shelves nearly all the time! ARGH! mad I guess I'll be making a bookstore trip after work. It's just takes too bloomin' long to get over there and back on a lunch hour. frown

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 08:07 PM

If anyone likes to read novels based on historical fact, try Bernard Cornwall's series called Sharp. The series takes place during the Napoleonic Wars with Britain in Spain. Sharp is the main character.

The BBC actually televised the series and did an excellent job maintaining the integrity of each book. Highly recommended!
Posted By: AngelinaLM

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Thanks for that recommendation, Angelina. I'm always looking for a good comedy book.

Paul Riser's Couplehood and Babyhood books were good fun. You laugh and nod thinking 'yea. I did that too.'

Erma Bombeck used to write for the Chicago Sun Times, I think. Anyway, her book 'If Life is a Bowl of Cherries...' It's still fun to read all these years later.

Most other supposed comedy books end up too foul to really be considered humor for me.

You might want to avoid the Chelsea Handler book then. Some parts are pretty foul, but others are pretty darn funny.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 08:58 PM

Just started Atlas Shrugged, not that anyone cares.
Posted By: jat

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 09:07 PM

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron is cute and funny and kind of reminded me of Erma Bombeck's writing. My daughter is at the University of Dayton and when we 1st took a tour one of the first things we came to was a bust of Erma who we were told was an alumni. I was excited and looked around the tour group and could tell only a few of the parents and none of the kids knew her.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Diamond Crown
Just started Atlas Shrugged, not that anyone cares.

Oh man, I *hated* that book. That's time I'll never get back.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 10:13 PM

I'm reading two books at the moment: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain and Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/28/09 10:35 PM

Still have "The Fountainhead" and "We The Living " in the queue.

Anything to get the taste of tripe of Howard Zinn's history texts out of my mouth.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/29/09 12:44 PM

Wait till you get to John Galt's speech near the end of Atlas Shrugged. That'll put you to sleep.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/29/09 01:12 PM

I enjoyed "Atlas Shrugged". But then, I'm weird - as my daughter tells me constantly.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/29/09 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
Wait till you get to John Galt's speech near the end of Atlas Shrugged. That'll put you to sleep.
Who is John Galt?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/29/09 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Diamond Crown
Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
Who is John Galt?

grin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 07/30/09 04:23 PM

Our teller who is our drive-thru window way in the back of the bank is reading "Finger Lickin Fifteen" and every time we go to check our mail she is sitting back there giggling.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 08:52 PM

I'm almost done with All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris. I got sucked into this series big time...no pun intended! laugh

I've really enjoyed them.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 08:53 PM

I just finished Ted Dekker's "Skin" - good book, suspenseful

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 08:54 PM

I'm almost done with All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris. I got sucked into this series big time...no pun intended! laugh

As much as you enjoyed Kisten?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 08:59 PM

As much as you enjoyed Kisten?

Why'd you have to say Kisten?!?! cry (and the answer would be no...) wink

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 09:04 PM

Because I think I need to go re-read them.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 09:09 PM

I've never been much of a re-reader but I may try and re-read the Rachel Morgan books this winter...before the next one comes out. Although I don't know if I can put myself through that again emotionally! laugh I'm such a dork...

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 09:13 PM

Nope...I know what you mean. I cried like a baby.
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 09:41 PM

Finished IT.

Finished Freakonomics.

Somewhat re-reading Night Shift (only the stories that really scared the pants of me when i first read the book)

About to start The Dark Tower series. (which will go on hiatus when SuperFreakonomics comes out in Oct / Nov).

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/26/09 09:46 PM

I read IT, Night Shift and started the Dark Tower series (I think I got through the first 3) in high school. I've sense turned into a scaredy cat and only read vampire fiction. HA!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 01:47 PM

I've never been much of a re-reader but I may try and re-read the Rachel Morgan books this winter...before the next one comes out. Although I don't know if I can put myself through that again emotionally! laugh I'm such a dork...

I re-read them periodically, but am a big enough dork to just skim through that particular part in an attempt at avoiding the tear-fest. I do the same thing with New Moon re-reads (or did, until Breaking Dawn killed the series for me).

I read a lot of Stephen King in high school and college, but (like JLJ) am now too chicken. Sometimes my memory of things I've read is a little *too* accurate and that stuff has stayed with me....and not in a good way. Especially Gerald's Game. I still check the backseat when I get into a vehicle after dark. eek I had to put IT down in the middle, though. No book has ever scared me like that one did.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 02:06 PM

IT scared me beyond belief. I too check the backseat of the truck after dark and absolutely cannot stand with my heels next to the bed for any length of time (Pet Cemetery). At 35 years old, I will still halfway jump into bed. There's also enough carp shoved under my bed (intentionally) that it would be impossible for anything to get under there. crazy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 02:07 PM

I'm half-way through book three of the Lillith Saintcrow, Dante Valentine books ... LOVE THEM!

When is another "fish" book coming out???

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 02:08 PM

*snort* I have "under the bed" issues, as well. Partly due to Pet Cemetary, but more to do with my older brother hiding under my bed and grabbing my feet one night when I was 5 or 6.
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 02:24 PM

There was only one part of IT that i thought was scary - i think it was that i saw the crappy made-for-tv movie (with Tim Curry as pennywise) that made it easier to read. (They are making it into a movie again, this time it will be in theatres, either 2010 or 2011).

I know nothing of the Dark Tower series, so i'm excited to start it.

The story about The Boogeyman in Night Shift was read to me by my older sister when I was 8. I still will make sure my closet is COMPLETELY closed when i go to bed.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 02:36 PM

As cheesy as the movie was, I'd read enough of the book before seeing it to still nearly wet my pants. And I'm afraid of clowns, anyway.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 02:37 PM

Oh yes...the closet door must be completely shut.

I remember liking the Dark Tower series but cant remember why I quit.
Posted By: Miss Banker

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 03:11 PM

I just finished Ted Dekker's "Skin" - good book, suspenseful

Oh good to know! I love Ted Dekker and this is near the top of my book list! I haven't read many of his books yet. But I loved Three and I am getting ready to start the Circle Trilogy. I love the action and suspense in his writing.
Posted By: CelticsPride

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 04:00 PM

My 15 year old Son actually recommended "The Book Thief" by Marcus Zusak. What a great book! Everyone I have recommended it to so far has loved it.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 05:10 PM

the book thief is in my "to be read" pile. i'm looking forward to it.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 06:56 PM

I had a great time with Levitin's *This Is Your Brain On Music.*
Digression always returns to the amazing capacity of the human brain to recall musical "events" it heard once. For listeners of music, a fascinating read. This is Wikipedia's blurb:
Professor Daniel J. Levitin, Ph.D. (born December 27, 1957, San Francisco) is an American cognitive psychologist, neuroscientist, record producer, musician, and writer.[1] He is currently James McGill Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada with additional appointments in Music Theory, Computer Science, and Education.

He has published scientific articles on absolute pitch, music cognition and neuroscience[2][3] and is more widely known as the author of two best-selling books, This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession, (Dutton/Penguin, 2006; Atlantic [UK] 2007)[4][5][6] and The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature (Dutton/Penguin U.S. and Viking/Penguin Canada, 2008). He worked as a producer and sound designer on albums by Blue Öyster Cult, Chris Isaak, and Joe Satriani[7] as a consultant to Steely Dan and Stevie Wonder;[8][9] and as a recording engineer for Santana and The Grateful Dead.[10] Records and CDs to which he has contributed have sold in excess of 30 million copies.[9][11] From September, 2006 to April 2007 he served as a weekly commentator on the CBC Radio One show Freestyle, and he has appeared frequently on NPR.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Skunk Boy

king took a LOOOOOOONG break in the middle of the series, and boy is it evident. the first books are much better than the last. but if you're gonna start you have to go all the way!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 08:30 PM

Ditto for a teenager's recommendation; same here. However, when my son recommends movies, I reconsider. His reading recommendations are great, however.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 08:52 PM

My Teen is actually great with movies. He's into the Classics and is always finding gems on TCM or the local Art House. don't know where he came from!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/27/09 09:14 PM

finished Brad Meltzer, Book of Lies, pretty good stuff, now reading something else by some other guy (can you tell i don't really pay attention to titles or authors)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Bailey.
Originally Posted By: Skunk Boy

king took a LOOOOOOONG break in the middle of the series, and boy is it evident. the first books are much better than the last. but if you're gonna start you have to go all the way!

It took the man about 22 years to complete the Dark Tower series. When he was hit by the car and was critical for a while - my first thought "he can't die - he hasn't finished the Dark Tower series". Let me know your thoughts on that last book when you get there. A number of his books written during those years all tied in to that series whether they were part of it or not.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 03:11 PM

that's actually what's detracting for me. and writing himself into the story?? poor form IMO. and it just has a completely different feel. can't be helped after 22 yrs more experience i guess. but i'm disappointed, especially after waiting so long for the rest of the books that were never promised.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 03:26 PM

King is just like the rest of "prolific" writers these days...story lines don't change, just the character names...Koontz, Cornwell, Grisham, Child, Patterson all are doing the same, just cranking out drivel to make a deadline and get a paycheck.

Read a fairly new author called Michael Walsh, now reading Greg Hurwitz. I think once an author gets to 5 books, I may stop reading them.
Posted By: Buccs

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 03:42 PM

Hap- I know exactly what you're talking about. Palahniuk was so fresh and new when I read him, but after reading 4 novels it's like the names have changed but everything else is the same.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 05:10 PM

I just started DeMille's The Gate House, very good. Dry and witty.
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 05:44 PM

Just finished Verosity by Dean Kontz (spelling????) - - good, good read and just started "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman. This book will be a great book, if not a little hard on the emotions to read.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 06:10 PM

I finished "Stupid & Contagious" by Caprice Crane a few days ago...about to start "Size 12 is Not Fat" by Meg Cabot
Posted By: ApacheBelle72

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 06:56 PM

"Scarpetta" by Patricia Cornwell. Just started it - I like her books!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 07:22 PM

I just started "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I am liking it so far. It is written entirely as letters sent amongst the various characters.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 07:27 PM

Has anyone ever watched the show "Castle" on tv?? It's about an author who is observing a police detective to base a character for his new novel. ABC.com actually has come up with a novel that this author is writing and they are posting a chapter a week to the website. They are also publishing the complete book in hardback to be available sometime in September. Can't wait to start reading it as the show starts up soon.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 07:40 PM

i LOVE that show, QM!! i've already ordered the book. i've held off on reading the posted chapters though. i want to wait. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 08:00 PM

I loved the show too! Didn't know about the book. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 08:13 PM

Just go to the show's website and you will find the information on it.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 08:15 PM

"The Jane Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. Pretty good but I think I need to go back and (re)read certain classics to really 'get' all the inside jokes and references. I'm going to read his book based on nursery rhyme characters next though.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 08:38 PM

I ordered last Friday ~ Finger Lickin and Nancy Grace's Eleventh Victim.

Just got done with Quickie by James Patterson and reading another one of his Run for your Life.

Quickie was great. So far Run for your Life is good.
Posted By: ApacheBelle72

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: pjs
I ordered last Friday ~ Finger Lickin and Nancy Grace's Eleventh Victim.

Just got done with Quickie by James Patterson and reading another one of his Run for your Life.

Quickie was great. So far Run for your Life is good.

All of James Patterson's books are super. Have you read the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. They are great also

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 08/31/09 08:45 PM

I had read a couple of them and liked them. Now I need to go find the others in the series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Mme. EGB
"The Jane Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. Pretty good but I think I need to go back and (re)read certain classics to really 'get' all the inside jokes and references. I'm going to read his book based on nursery rhyme characters next though.

i love all of jasper fforde's books. he is so clever!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 02:10 PM

I keep meaning to pick up some of his stuff, but always forget.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 02:11 PM

IMO, the Thurday Next books are better than the Nursery Crime books, but it's all good. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 02:13 PM

I'm finishing up a reread of Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" series, but have no idea what I'll move on to next. I recently read one of Yasmine Galenorn's "Chintz & China" cozies - it was cute, short, and fun - so I may pick up another one or two of those. Not sure yet. OH, and the new Victoria Laurie "Phsychic Eye" mystery should be out this week!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 07:17 PM

Is Finger Lickin Fifteen her latest book out?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 07:20 PM

Yep. Should be a new "between" book coming out in January, though.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 07:38 PM

In the house we bought this summer, we discovered several old cook books from the 50's and 60's that fell behind a cupboard.

It has been fun reading them as so many things are not prepared like this today, the money saving 'tips' are long lost common sense, and they create full balanced meals on a tight budget.

The narrative is the best though! Advice on how to please you family, amaze your guests, how to stretch the meal when your beloved husband brings the boss home with him and forgot to tell you, and how to give 'your man' and task to do so he is 'out of your way, and yet can feel he contributed, and feel good about himself!'!

They are just a riot to read!!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 07:42 PM

I still have recipes from my mom that call for a #2 can of pineapple and they don't even make them that way anymore!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 07:44 PM

Trust No One - Greg Hurwitz (was so engrossed at lunch didn't realize I was gone over 2 hours)

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Jay
In the house we bought this summer, we discovered several old cook books from the 50's and 60's that fell behind a cupboard.

It has been fun reading them as so many things are not prepared like this today, the money saving 'tips' are long lost common sense, and they create full balanced meals on a tight budget.

The narrative is the best though! Advice on how to please you family, amaze your guests, how to stretch the meal when your beloved husband brings the boss home with him and forgot to tell you, and how to give 'your man' and task to do so he is 'out of your way, and yet can feel he contributed, and feel good about himself!'!

LOL! JJ...I found the same ones in my mom's collection after she passed away...really neat to read the housewives creed of yesteryear...blleeecckkk...

make sure to remove his shoes and rub his feet, while supper awaits on the table, devinely inviting with sumptious aromas...blahdy blah...yeah right...fend for yourself honey! wink

what was that show...Father Knows Best? It reminded me of that era.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 08:24 PM

"Wetlands" utterly horrific & wonderful.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 09:08 PM

LOL! JJ...I found the same ones in my mom's collection after she passed away...really neat to read the housewives creed of yesteryear...blleeecckkk...

make sure to remove his shoes and rub his feet, while supper awaits on the table, devinely inviting with sumptious aromas...blahdy blah...yeah right...fend for yourself honey! wink

Aren't they a hoot!!

And the pictures... a big thick steak with a huge coat of fat on the side... you would never see that today!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/01/09 09:19 PM

Aren't they a hoot!!

And the pictures... a big thick steak with a huge coat of fat on the side... you would never see that today!

OK, so who's going to rub my feet after I have gotten the kids ready for school, taken them to school, worked all day, did the shopping, helped the kids with homework, cooked supper and cleaned up the dishes, done the laundry, bathed the kids, read them a story and gotten them to bed, paid the bills....

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 10:31 AM

LOL! My Mom has a 1960 version of Betty Crocker, it is hysterical. Lots of jello mold recipes... eek

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 12:02 PM

Last book I read was Pattie Boyd's autobiography. It was so neat to read about George Harrison & Eric Clapton from her perspective.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 12:06 PM

anyone NEED any jello molds?? My mom had quite a collection!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 12:08 PM

Aren't they a hoot!!

OK, so who's going to rub my feet after I have gotten the kids ready for school, taken them to school, worked all day, did the shopping, helped the kids with homework, cooked supper and cleaned up the dishes, done the laundry, bathed the kids, read them a story and gotten them to bed, paid the bills....

Um, the man sitting in the recliner watching TV exhausted from watching YOU all day long.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 12:08 PM

Don't forget the aprons. They always wore aprons... eek My g-mother STILL wears them!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 12:40 PM

I have some of my grandmother's aprons - they actually come in handy!

Just finished reading "This Present Darkness" by Frank Perretti - good book.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 01:34 PM

My Grandmother always made jello molds with fruit in them. I can't even look at Jello today!

Reading "The Quiet Game" by Greg Iles. Picked it up in the Bank's lending library. Pretty good so far.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 02:21 PM

Hey! I wear an apron!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 02:52 PM

Oops... blush

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 03:05 PM

no, it's "ops." sheesh. crazy

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 09/02/09 03:54 PM

anyone NEED any jello molds?? My mom had quite a collection!

Put them on Ebay - I bet you'd get some interest!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:15 PM

Finally. Finally! FINALLY!! I can read White Witch Black Curse, Kim Harrison's latest book. It finally came out in paperback today! I have been waiting forever!!!

Dang, now that I think about it, I should have read book 6 again so I know what the heck is going on. Shoot!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:20 PM

I'm going to have to go buy it to keep my collection current.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:21 PM

I just got James Patterson's latest Alex Cross book in the mail yesteday. I can't wait to start it. No other author on this one-just Patterson. I hope its good.

Isn't it about time for another Janet Evanovich-Stephanie Plum book?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:30 PM

I haven't read any of the Stephanie Plum books yet but I see that they are loved by many. I am going to have to check them out now that I have my Kindle.

So many books, so little time!
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:31 PM

kitten is!

tell 'em kitty!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:37 PM

laugh laugh @ miscuit!!

i decided after the last stephanie plum novel that i'm done with them. i didn't love the last few. she's not keeping it original.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:41 PM

I am currently reading the newest book from Dan Brown. I'm about 2/3 through it and must say, it's kind of a let down. It doesn't pack near the punch his previous books did. I am hoping that it really picks up and moves starts to move along quickly, or at the very least have an excellent ending since I'm starting to make that turn.

After that I am going to read John Adams. I'm looking forward to that one. It's the book they shot the mini-series on HBO about. It's extremely long so it will probably take me a while. I'm not a very fast reader. I tend to read like I'm reading it aloud.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:45 PM

I'm reading book #8 of the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 04:47 PM

I'm currently reading John Irving's latest novel, Last Night in Twisted River. It is terrific, one of his best, in my estimation.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:01 PM

I am reading Shutter Island by Denis LeHane... cool and creepy.
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:03 PM

<---- doesn't read...only looks at the pictures

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:04 PM

Deek, did they base the movie off that book or is it coincidence?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:05 PM

I'm on #7, trying hard to catch up. #8 is on the nightstand as well. I love Mouse. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:23 PM

I am on #4 of the Dresden books. I tend to read other books between them... Just to change things up a bit.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:28 PM

I'm on #7, trying hard to catch up. #8 is on the nightstand as well. I love Mouse. smile

Uh oh...I better get to reading! wink

Mouse is a nice addition to the cast! smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Miss Banker
I am on #4 of the Dresden books. I tend to read other books between them... Just to change things up a bit.

I wish I could do this. I'm a little OCD when it comes to catching up with a series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:30 PM

I'm a little OCD

did you remember to turn off the iron today?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Peepers
I'm a little OCD

did you remember to turn off the iron today?

O...M...G...now I have to go home...

laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:32 PM

You can become a fan of Janet E's on FB and stay updated on things. She has little quick response contests also.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 05:55 PM

I have to go to the bookstore tonight. The new Lilith Saintcrow "Flesh Circus" is out today as well as the MMP edition of MaruJanice Davidson's "Undead and Unworthy."

Oh, and Miss Banker - won a signed HB of White Witch, Black Curse in a page count contest when it first came out. grin

My Kim Harrison, Janet Evanovich, and Laurell K Hamilton collections are all mixed paperback and hardback. It offends my OCD, and I'm going to have to start replacing one with the other. I just haven't decided yet which direction to go. Maybe I should work on full collections of BOTH types since I've nearly destroyed some of my pb's reading them repeatedly?

god what a dork I am..........

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 06:18 PM

Oh, and Miss Banker - won a signed HB of White Witch, Black Curse in a page count contest when it first came out. grin

I saw that!! Don't think I was only a little jealous either!! laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 06:36 PM

I'm about the same way with the mixture of book types in a series. However, I'm not going to replace because I hope to have one of the electronic book readers before too long and will down load my favorites to it. The hard copies will then be sold at a yard sale or given away.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Oldie But Goldie
I'm about the same way with the mixture of book types in a series. However, I'm not going to replace because I hope to have one of the electronic book readers before too long and will down load my favorites to it. The hard copies will then be sold at a yard sale or given away.

you could also sell them on amazon or donate them to a library or a prison. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 06:58 PM

You can also make me a charity! Ha!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 07:19 PM

Reading the Eragon series - on #3 right now and closed to being finished. They're OK - I find them highly derivative, but I do want to see where he goes with them.

I'm crossing my fingers that a new George RR Martin will come out early next year - he's been working on it but is now distracted by the filming of the pilot of "A Game of Thrones" for HBO. [And the casting, which is distracting me!, is A. Maz. Ing.]

Oh! and I am also reading Jack Finney's "Time and Again" which is really a good read.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/24/09 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Oldie But Goldie

Slightly off topic: Oldie But Goldie - Just have to say that I love my e-reader. I don't miss "dead tree" books at all and I haven't purchased any DTB since I purchased my e-reader in Aug, 2008. I could just go on and on about it, but I'll just stop and say I hope you get one soon.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 01:13 PM

I finally finished Darkness on the edge of town by J. Carson Black- good book.

I finally recognized myself as a book buying hog. I can't stop buying books. I can't wait to have time to read them all. I also need more places to stack them.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 01:17 PM

i have a kindle and love love love it. but i still sometimes buy the actual book. i was running out of room for the books which is a definite plus for the kindle.

BTW - airport security doesn't like kindle. oopsie. found that out the hard way. take it out like you would a laptop.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 01:18 PM

I'm a dummy. What's a kindle? confused

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 01:19 PM

an e-reader from amazon.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 01:20 PM

Oh! cool

But does that bother your eyes?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 01:21 PM

not at all. the font size is adjustable, so it's no different than a "regular" book, IMO

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 01:22 PM

::makes note to look into e-reader::

Thanks!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 01:33 PM

Just got Plum Pudding Murders. It looks good and has about 15 recipes in the book smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 02:09 PM

Don't you just love the books with the recipes as a bonus!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 02:14 PM

Have you read any of the Sweet Potato Queens books? They are absolutely hilarious, and full of recipes!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: P.B.Turk
Just got Plum Pudding Murders. It looks good and has about 15 recipes in the book smile

Is this a new Stephanie Plum book??

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 03:52 PM

I love my Kindle as well. Because of the different font sizes I finally can read without my glasses on again!

I still buy books that I want to own as part of my collection (I am still old school that way and I adore books and bookshelves) but I love the Kindle for those books that I would like to try and for those I wouldn't necessarily want to own.

Sony has a new e-reader that is a touch screen coming out in January or so maybe and Barnes and Noble is putting theirs out in time for the holiday season I believe. I love my Kindle but thought I'd throw those out there for people that were starting to look into them.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: P.B.Turk

Is this a new Stephanie Plum book??

Sounds like it. Is it?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 03:58 PM

Not a Stephanie Plum book - different author, Joanne Fluke.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 05:24 PM

I still don't understand the kindle thingy. Is it something you carry around? Hope this question didn't sound stupid.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: pjs
I still don't understand the kindle thingy. Is it something you carry around? Hope this question didn't sound stupid.

pjs - The Kindle is an e-reader. It's size is between a paperback book and a hardback book. It will hold hundreds of books. The technology uses something called "e-ink". It has NO built in light. IMO the Kindle is much easier to read because of the adjustable fonts. E-ink is exactly like reading an actual book. The Kindle has "Whispernet" that lets you connect to Amazon wirelessly (depending if you are in the network) and download books instantly. You can also download via USB cable and your computer, which is what I do at home as I am not in the network. I am in the network at work.

My Kindle is the first version (K1). It is so easy to use (unlike the copier, fax, printer... that hate me here at work).

LOL - Want me to go on....???

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 06:05 PM

I just read where Barnes and Noble released their "Nook" reader and it has the capability of sharing books that you buy with other Nooks. I have several friends that we pass books back and forth and that would be a great feature - if everyone else had a Nook.
Posted By: East Texas

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 06:06 PM

Anything by Mel Odom or Frank Peretti

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 06:08 PM

The Kindle I just looked at also will read the books aloud if you chose that option. Cool! I can "read" while I weave!
Posted By: opsoff

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 06:13 PM

Due to my personal economic downturn all my books come from the local library. frown I'm reading Butcher's Dresden Files right now and I really wish I could have afforded to buy them outright to read again someday. I am seriously thinking about getting a Kindle though.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 06:16 PM

i've upped my library visits lately too, opsoff, even with a kindle. i have had to ban myself from bookstores because i can't leave without spending at least $100 - all stuff i HAD to have, mind you. (i could have worse habits, i know, but still...)

i've had the kindle for about 2 years and it was the best investment i've made in a long time. it's with me always.
Posted By: opsoff

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 06:22 PM

Yep, that's me and hubby dropping $50-$75 a trip to the bookstore after we use our Barnes & Noble card. I've cut myself off from bookstores and the massive bookfair they have near here several times a year.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 06:42 PM

"Dead Witch Walking"

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 07:14 PM

My grandchildren love book stores too. I love taking them, but I hate checking out. All three of us end up with at least one book, usually two or three. cry

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 08:29 PM

Thanks for the kindle translations. I find it interesting- will have to look into it.
Posted By: Cale_N_Oats

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/25/09 10:02 PM

I'm reading an RC Sprouls book right now and a buddy of mine gave me the book Freakanomics to read...has anyone read it?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/27/09 01:41 PM

The latest James Patterson book, I, Alex Cross, is quite good. I read half of it last night.
Posted By: Relax

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/27/09 07:58 PM

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - very good - reads like an old classic with lots of twists and turns. Also, I just started The Messengers-A true story of Angelic Presence and the Return to the Age of Miracles, by Juian Ingram and G.W. Hardin - pretty interesting so far.
Posted By: Tillie

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/27/09 09:15 PM

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
I can't believe I've never read it before!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/28/09 08:29 PM

Ugh...this book better pick up. The Last Symbol by Dan Brown. It's not bad but so far it hasn't yeilded that earth shattering revolation that Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code did.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/29/09 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Relax
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - very good - reads like an old classic with lots of twists and turns. Also, I just started The Messengers-A true story of Angelic Presence and the Return to the Age of Miracles, by Juian Ingram and G.W. Hardin - pretty interesting so far.

I really loved that book. There were several times when I thought, ho hum, I know what will happen next....but it never did!

I just finished Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell (same guy who wrote Tipping Point). It's fascinating. I'm not that big a non-fiction fan but I couldn't put this down. Now I have everyone in my family reading it.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/29/09 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Deekles
I am reading Shutter Island by Dennis LeHane... cool and creepy.

This is a must-read, phenomenal!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/30/09 02:17 PM

I'm reading Ted Dekker's "The Historical Chronicles" series. Its fasinating.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/30/09 06:44 PM

Just finished John Sanford's "Winter Prey". I didn't like it as well as I have previous novels of his.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/30/09 07:04 PM

kms, I started it this weekend and went about 1/8 the way thru, I couldn't finish it... eek

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 11/30/09 09:46 PM

you know, we read almost all of the same stuff!!! I don't know if it was the locale change in this one or what but it was so slow.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/01/09 11:57 AM

cool

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/01/09 01:42 PM

night ferry by michael robotham. really good!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/01/09 03:34 PM

Is that pronounce: Robot-Ham?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/01/09 05:04 PM

i think it is. i've never met him though.

::hands deek her cone::

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/01/09 05:50 PM

::takes cone and sticks...::

never mnd... laugh

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/02/09 06:11 PM

Just finished "Time & Again" by Jack Finney. I really liked it. I hear the sequel isn't very good though so I will skip that one.
Posted By: *BUSTER*

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/02/09 06:34 PM

Does a matchbook count?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 03:46 PM

Just dove into "Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I."

I needed a bit of a departure from my normal fare - burnout was starting to set in.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 03:48 PM

Executive Privilege by Philip Margolin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 05:06 PM

"Echo in the Bone", Diana Gabaldon. Too much Lord Grey, at least in the first quarter.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 06:22 PM

Kindred in Death- J.D. Robb
Posted By: Brad B

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 06:53 PM

I like to keep it light and funny - Zits, Baby Blues, Pickles, Brevity, Foxtrot and other comic strip collections
Posted By: at CFB

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 07:10 PM

"Notes Left Behind - 135 Days with Elena" written by Keith Desserich. I'm not a reader (I CAN read, just choose not to...just keep thinking of things I need to be doing instead of reading). It's a book written by Elena's dad. Elena was diagnosed with a brain tumor when she was 5 and died when she was 6. She lost the capacity to speak thru her ordeal but could still write. She drew pictures and wrote notes and hid them all over the house (in between books, under plates in the china cabinet, etc) so that her parents and younger sister would find them after she died. Like I said...I'm not a reader but I finished the 240 page book in one day while I sat during 8 hours of chemo. It gave me a greater appreciation that I'm so glad that it was ME that was diagnosed with cancer instead of my 6 or 3 year old! That would devastate me to not have some explanation as to why they had this horrible disease and what you go thru to try and get better! The book is more about how they lived from diagnosis to death rather than her death. Don't want to spoil it but they let her do things they'd never be able to witness (let her drive a car, had her try on wedding dresses, etc). Great book to make you appreciate your life! Ask Santa for it this year..you won't be disappointed. But buy some kleenex when you pick up the book!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 07:46 PM

<--- needs to get books 13-15 of the Stephanie Plum Series.. and I think I need a couple in between books.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 07:52 PM

currently reading 3 different books, but none are wowing me, in fact, can't even remember their titles...likely will pick up the newest Stephen Berry this weekend...
Posted By: Mr. E.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/04/09 08:34 PM

Love Steve Berry. His Cotton Malone character and associates are throughly enjoyable. Currently reading the new Vince Flynn book Pursuit of Honor.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/07/09 11:26 PM

Finished 7th Heaven by James Patterson yesterday - hadn't read the series before but will probably go back and read the other ones.
Almost done with But I Trusted You by Ann Rule - wouldn't recommend this one.
Ordered these today (hope they're good)
I, Alex Cross by Patterson
Kisser by Stuart Woods
U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton
Evidence by Jonathan Kellerman

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/08/09 01:08 PM

`
Originally Posted By: VolOps
<--- needs to get books 13-15 of the Stephanie Plum Series.. and I think I need a couple in between books.

Beth- did you pick these up yet?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 02:48 PM

I picked up "Sherlock Holmes; the Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I" in paperback last week. I haven't read these since high school and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy them!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 02:58 PM

I'm on the last Dresden Files book that the library has...book 10/Small Favor and then I'll have to find 11. Sherlock Holmes might be a good place to go next, I've been seeing the movie previews and really want to go see the new movie next week.
Posted By: Sandy Beech

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 03:00 PM

I've just started The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It's odd so far.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 03:01 PM

just finished The Sanctuary by Raymond Khoury, just started the Charlemagne (something) by Steven Berry

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 03:20 PM

I'm stuck on #8 in the Dresden Files series (Proven Guilty). I just have not had any time to read lately. I have my comfy chair reserved strictly for reading the weekend after Christmas (assuming family leaves by then)!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 03:30 PM

Reading Hide and Seek (Sisterhood Series #8) now.

Dresden is on my list after Sisterhood.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Mod Grinch
Reading Hide and Seek (Sisterhood Series #8) now.

Dresden is on my list after Sisterhood.

Sisterhood books are good. Who is Dresden and are those good books? Thanks

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 05:46 PM

Not sure, JLJ above recommended them to me. Girls, who writes the Dresden Files series?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 05:49 PM

Odd how men don't read much fiction anymore...........

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 05:52 PM

from wiki...

The Dresden Files is a series of fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher. He provides a first person narrative of each story from the point of view of the main character, private investigator and wizard Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago. Butcher's original proposed title for the first novel was "Semiautomagic", which sums up the series' balance of fantasy and hard-boiled detective fiction.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 05:53 PM

Jim Butcher is the author. I usually describe the Dresden books as "Harry Potter for adults." The main character, Harry Dresden, is kind of what you'd get if a very sarcastic HP grew up, moved to Chicago, and became a PI. The story really takes off after about #4, but if you don't read those first few you'll be lost on most of the character background and plot foundation.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 05:54 PM

Butcher does an excellent job of character development throughout the series. I've liked each book a little more as I've gone through the series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 05:56 PM

I love his characters. They're very "alive" and as much fun - in their own way - as the Stephanie Plum cast. Butters and Bob are my favorites, with Mouse and Thomas a close second.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 06:00 PM

Mouse is becoming my favorite. I do like Thomas, Bob and Mister. Toot-Toot cracks me up as well.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 06:01 PM

The tiny flying fey character MVP award is held by Jenks. Sorry. Toot is fun, but only a pretender to the throne.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 06:02 PM

Yes...you are correct...Jenks is the king!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 06:36 PM

Right now, I'm reading 3:
Sue Grafton - T is for Trespass (liking it a whole bunch so far!)
John Sandford - Rough Country (verrrrry good, I absolutely love Virgil Flowers!)
still trying to slog my way through Dan Brown - The Last Symbol (EXTREMELY disappointed frown don't like it, want to like it, but I don't)

2 on my nightstand waiting for me to start next (slightly less "light" reading):
Naomi Klein - The Rise of Disaster Capitalism
Noam Chomsky - Brothers & Others

On my Christmas list (hope I get them - I was a pretty good girl this year!):
Sue Grafton - U is for Undertow
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
Stephanie Plum Series - #8 & #9
Stephen King's new one - something about a dome?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 08:57 PM

Just finished The Associate by John Grisham. Typical Grisham, but a good story nonetheless.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 09:01 PM

Just received Catherine Coulter's Knock Out today, she never dissapoints and Julie Garwood's new book comes out next week. I hate that she only puts out 1 new one a year!!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale
Odd how men don't read much fiction anymore...........

Well, this man does. Good fiction is truer than most of the non-fiction currently out there.
Posted By: Becka Marr

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 10:24 PM

I've been reading the Bhagavad Gita, Dhammapada, and Upanishads

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/16/09 11:52 PM

Just bought Those Lovely bones for my daughter for Christmas. Has anyone read that? She's 13 and I wonder if the content is a little too much for her. She wants to be an author so I have to get her off of all of the vampire books and into something more well written.

I'd take the time to read it myself but that's just the thing....I don't have the kind of time right now to get it finished by Christmas.

Any thoughts??
Posted By: Buccs

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 03:46 AM

I don't really think it's appropriate unless you know that your 13YO is mature.

I've read some pretty graphic stuff and that section was up there. It could have been worse, to be sure, but it'd be a heavy subject for a teenager.

This doesn't take away from the book though. It really is wonderful. If she wants to be an author there is a lot in that novel she can learn about character development

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 11:44 AM

I just started reading "The Innocent" by Harlan Coben. I let you know if it belongs in this thread or the other on a couple of weeks....... (so far - I'd put it in this one smile )

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 12:46 PM

Yeah let us know Tigg- I have that book- sitting on a shelf.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 12:50 PM

I love Harlan Coben. I like the way he writes and I have read almost everything he has written.

Finished The Road last night. I thought it was dark and I cannot imagine how it will be a movie. Too dull for a movie, IMO.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 12:53 PM

I like the way he writes too. Usually a fast read for me because he moves the story along nicely.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 12:58 PM

Has anyone read Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane?

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 03:01 PM

Shutter Island was fantastic. I had the twist figured out about 100 pages from the end.

I can't wait to see the movei in the spring.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Buccs
I don't really think it's appropriate unless you know that your 13YO is mature.

I've read some pretty graphic stuff and that section was up there. It could have been worse, to be sure, but it'd be a heavy subject for a teenager.

This doesn't take away from the book though. It really is wonderful. If she wants to be an author there is a lot in that novel she can learn about character development

Thanks Buccs, I haven't wrapped it up yet because I wasn't so sure.

Maybe I'll make it a present to me and maybe pass it on to her if I decide that's something that I want her to read.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 07:54 PM

I just picked up #11 in the Dresden Files...the library did have it. I'm almost finished with #10. I also picked up a compilation of the first 24 Sherlock Holmes stories. I've never read any of them and thought it might be fun since I want to see the new movie coming out next week.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 09:23 PM

Reading David Baldacci's newest.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 11:06 PM

I love Julie Garwood books. I have read most of hers. Have one or two yet to read and just ordered the pre-release of Fire and Ice in Paperback. Will have to wait for Sizzle to come out in paperback too.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/17/09 11:23 PM

I started reading 16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber this evening. Really enjoying it so far. I have several books(all??) of the series thanks to a fantabulous BOL buddy!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/18/09 12:56 PM

VolOps - I have that whole series. They are good stories. I like how each one builds from the last and is from a different perspective. smile

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/18/09 01:08 PM

I finished the first one last night, and I'm lookin foward to getting into the next!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/18/09 01:16 PM

Want me to tell you what happens next?? grin

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/18/09 01:18 PM

Naaah, thanks for the offer, though. grin
Posted By: Mr. E.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/18/09 08:34 PM

Harlan Coben is great! You'll enjoy all his books. If you like Harlan Coben, you would probably like Linwood Barclay. I'm almost finished with his book "Too close to Home."

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/19/09 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: VolOps
I finished the first one last night, and I'm lookin foward to getting into the next!

You have all of them up to date. Next year there should be another one coming out. Glad you like it. It is a good series.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/20/09 03:24 AM

Thanks, peej! Finished the 2nd in the series today. smile I've already told my Mom she's gonna have to read them when I'm finished.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/21/09 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Periwinkle
Sue Grafton - U is for Undertow

Finished it yesterday - was very disappointed (the solution to the crime came too early in the story - the rest seemed like a waste of pages)
I, Alex Cross: finished it a few minutes ago - easy read (as always), liked the ending, disliked the premise of the death of a "close" relative to sell the story - it didn't need it.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/21/09 05:26 PM

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" by Stieg Larsson. Can't wait for the 3rd book to become available in the US.

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/21/09 06:14 PM

I love Julie Garwood books. I have read most of hers. Have one or two yet to read and just ordered the pre-release of Fire and Ice in Paperback. Will have to wait for Sizzle to come out in paperback too.

Agreed! I'm waiting for the pricer to decrease on Amazon for my Kindle!

Re: anyone reading any good books? - 12/21/09 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Banker

Agreed! I'm waiting for the pricer to decrease on Amazon for my Kindle!

Have you checked out the Barnes and Noble eReader? It looks really cool.