Best Burgers

Posted By: FBH

Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:33 PM

All this talk of cooking meat has me thinking about burgers. What's the best burger you've had? I have a few favs:

Although not flashy, the Charcoal Pit is my hometown's best burger joint. It's a 50s (not 50s style - it's been around that long!) burger joint/ice cream parlor

Next be the Jackson House in Harrisburg, PA.

Not to be conceited, but third would be bison burgers at my place!

I try not to do chain restaurants, but I've had good burgers at Five Guys and Red Robin.

A friend of mine sent me this link: The Heart Attack Grill It looks wild! I'm a big guy, but I don't know if I could put away one of those quadruple bypass burgers! Great marketing though! Check out the menu and the pics...
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:40 PM

Max and Erma's has a good burger the "Erma Burger"
Also like the Red Robins Whisky River BBQ burger.

But I would say the best I had was in a joint in S. Myrtle Beach. It was called Texas Road House, but not the chain type. It had a huge grill in the middle of the place and they tossed whatever meat you ordered on it. The burger I had was a 1lb , charcoal grilled burger. Topped with sauteed onions, BBQ Sauce, lettuce, cheddar cheese. YUM YUM!!
Posted By: Dip

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:41 PM

Stuffed burgers at the Hash House are the best restaurant burgers.

For fast food, I liek In n Out and Jeff's Burgers (little place near the beach in La Jolla).
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:41 PM

White Rose in Highland Park, NJ...

Awesome.

Second best, Mine. wink
Posted By: Ops

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:47 PM

My favorite burgers ever are my hubby's stuffed burgers.. he puts provolove & sauteed onions & mushrooms in them.

Favorite local burger joint: Muffy's. Their mushroom swiss burger is fantabulous.

Favorite elsewhere is.. of course, The Vortex Bar & Grill in Atlanta. Could be all the hot (male) servers with tattoos. I don't think so, though.. this is my hubby's favorite place, too. He said the Blue Shroom Burger was the best burger he's ever had. I'm pretty sure the servers were easy on his eyes, too, though. Nothing like a chick covered in tattoos to him. (They also offer an Elvis burger I haven't mentioned before.. one day I'll get brave enough).

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:49 PM

What's on an Elvis burger, peanut butter and bananas??? sick
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:50 PM

In-N-Out - that's what a hamburgers all about!

http://www.in-n-out.com/default.asp

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:50 PM

Uh huh.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:51 PM

I've never been to the Heart Attack Grill but it gets mixed reviews.

Sonora Brewhouse is great for a burger and beer. It's close to home and still part of CenPho
www.sonorabrewhouse.com/sonora

Four Peaks Brewing Co is another hot spot. This one is in Tempe, our college town, so it can get packed with young people.
www.fourpeaks.com

Medium rare, bacon and blue cheese crumbles. Mayo on the side for dipping. :rubs belly:

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops
Uh huh.

Barf... I could never get that brave! laugh

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Deekles
Originally Posted By: Ops
Uh huh.

Barf... I could never get that brave! laugh

It has bacon on it, too, I'm pretty sure.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:54 PM

Roy Rogers, NJ, used to make good fast food burgers, and Gino's in DE were also really good. But, no more RR's in my area, and I don't head to DE anymore.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:54 PM

I'm having one of these when I go to Pittsburgh:

[img:center]http://direwolf.org/images/Primanti%20Brothers%20Sandwich.jpg[/img]

I think they make a burger too...

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:55 PM

Roy Rogers, NJ, used to make good fast food burgers, and Gino's in DE were also really good. But, no more RR's in my area, and I don't head to DE anymore.

I remember the Hero's at Gino's! Good stuff!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 04:56 PM

Seems like I saw that on either Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives or Man vs. Food.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:00 PM

Katz Deli (now closed) used to have a peanut butter and bacon cheeseburger. My friend had it and said he would order it again. (Turns out, he can't order it again, because they closed.)

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: FBH

I remember the Hero's at Gino's! Good stuff!

LOL, I only remember them being so good probably cuz I was in college on the cafeteria plan! laugh
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:04 PM

This is my hometown burger place they have an excellent menu but the only burger I have had there was an Elk burger. It was excellent!

We have a regional chain of restaurants here called Hoss's that does a bison burger that is very good too.

The absolute best burgers that I have ever had were from a small drive-in restaurant called Ed's Bee-Line. There was nothing really that stood out other than they tasted awesome! It was a tiny little place where you placed your order at the window then waited for them to call your number. There were no tables and you had to eat in your car. I actually proposed to my wife there! It has since been torn down to make room for a huge convenience store...

My 6 year old son tells me that my burgers are the best. He will not eat any burger unless I have made it. He always asks me for my secret recipe. That makes me smile

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:11 PM

Has anyone ever had a burger from Louis' Lunch in New Haven, CT? I have seen this place a thousand times on Food Network and the Travel Channel and it is supposed to be the birth place of the burger as we know it. If I am ever in New Haven (not likely!) I will definitely check it out!
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:19 PM

Best burger ever invented was well done in my backyard last night...if anyone is in the neighborhood, come on by.

Best local burger is in New Orleans, place called Port of Call, which is a gay bar by trade, but has 1" thick burgers that weigh over 1 pound and come with a huge baked potato as well. Another awesome place is a bar called Oscar's, burgers are along the same size. Those burgers are almost disgusting due to size, and I can't think of the last time i've finished one. But they are good, juste xpect to wait about 45 minutes for it, as they take so long to cook.

Jackson, MS has a place called CS's, across from Millsaps College, get the Inez burger, it is chili-cheese burger with homemade chili, have to eat it with fork and knife, too messy to pick up.

Baton Rouge, best burger is Brewbachers - bacon cheeseburger rocks.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:24 PM

well done = sick, just sayin' wink
Posted By: *BUSTER*

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:30 PM

The best place around my neck o the woods is TLC burgers and fries. The burgers are simple but they are the best! But the fries are amazing, they put a seasoning they call red river sand, it's a mix of lemon pepper, cayenne, and other seasonings.

As far as chain restaurants go, Ruby Tuesday's triple prime bacon cheddar burger is pretty good.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:34 PM

Around Dallas, gotta go with SNUFFERS.
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 05:48 PM

I like the Chancery or Solly's. For fast food, Culver's is the best. This thread is making me want to schedule a trip to Harrisburg soon smile.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 06:14 PM

Culver's is tops. I love their fried cheese curds.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: FBH
I'm having one of these when I go to Pittsburgh:

[img:center]http://direwolf.org/images/Primanti%20Brothers%20Sandwich.jpg[/img]

I think they make a burger too...

Is this the place that also served at the old Three River Stadium. It put the burger, the topping, fries, and cole slaw all together?

Yeah....that was a great burger!
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 06:17 PM

heading to san antonio later this summer...any good burgers there?
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 06:22 PM

Tried Culver's here - neither my husband nor I cared for their burgers. Our Fav - Five Guys, although there isn't one here. So sad.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: thomasj
This is my hometown burger place they have an excellent menu but the only burger I have had there was an Elk burger. It was excellent!

We have a regional chain of restaurants here called Hoss's that does a bison burger that is very good too.

The absolute best burgers that I have ever had were from a small drive-in restaurant called Ed's Bee-Line. There was nothing really that stood out other than they tasted awesome! It was a tiny little place where you placed your order at the window then waited for them to call your number. There were no tables and you had to eat in your car. I actually proposed to my wife there! It has since been torn down to make room for a huge convenience store...

My 6 year old son tells me that my burgers are the best. He will not eat any burger unless I have made it. He always asks me for my secret recipe. That makes me smile

I saw this on the food channel, would love to attack it some time.
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 06:46 PM

Scale Shack Burgers in Elbe, WA on the way to Mt. Rainier. Place your order at the window and wait for them to call whatever playing card they gave you.
Posted By: Fraudman CFCI

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 06:57 PM

Shady Glen Dairy Bar, Manchester, CT

For a picture of this unusal and super delicious cheeseburger, Google Shady Glen cheeseburger

Although this fine old dairy bar has a menu of sandwiches and hot meals and is justly famous for its homemade ice cream, its way with cheeseburgers is nothing short of spectacular. Three or four slices of cheese extend far beyond the edges of the burger as it cooks, so the cheese melts directly onto the surface of the grill, turning chewy and crisp. The hamburger with its soft cheese on top and its halo of textured cheese all around is hefted onto a bun to become one memorable sandwich!
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:25 PM

had a cheeseburger at a bar where they used Merkts sharp cheddar cheese spread, it was awesome!

however, this bar, like all others, did not serve hot chocolate
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: _A_G

are you prepared to back that statement up? smirk
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore
heading to san antonio later this summer...any good burgers there?

not known for burgers, but do you know how close you will be to Shiner, just sayin'......

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Miscuit
Originally Posted By: _A_G

are you prepared to back that statement up? smirk

I just called every bar in America. They have confirmed this.
Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:37 PM

^^^facetiousfacetiousfacetious!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:38 PM

i call "facetious"!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:38 PM

I call sarcasm!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:40 PM

Bobby...don't do that!

you know what it does to me
Posted By: Snow Bunny

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 07:44 PM

::sees Bobby and Miscuit heading off into the bushes::

whistle
Posted By: MadisonCali

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 08:05 PM

Interesting to see so many of you recomending Five Guys...they just opened one close to me. First on in the city, I think. Guess I might have to check it out!

As for Red Robin, I LOVE their A1 Peppercorn Burger. MMMM!!!

Up here, my personal favorite burger is a patty melt (burger WELL DONE smile with fried onions, a slice of American, a slice of Swiss, on toasted butterly marble rye) at the local dive bar/bowling alley (DrKulas-yes I spelled it right smile ).

The city is also known for it's 'Juicy Lucys' (stuffed burgers), with many places offering their own takes (Matt's Bar, 5-7-8, Blue Door Pub, etc.). SO yummy!

Man, I might have to go out for a burger tonight smile

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: MadisonCali

::thumbs up:: me too!

as for Five Guys, i just recently tried it for the first time...it was just 'ok'...nothing special

maybe i should give it another shot

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 08:37 PM

<----- is thinking about going to Red Robin for an egg burger
Posted By: Mocha's Mom

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Fraudman CPPCFCI
Shady Glen Dairy Bar, Manchester, CT

For a picture of this unusal and super delicious cheeseburger, Google Shady Glen cheeseburger

Although this fine old dairy bar has a menu of sandwiches and hot meals and is justly famous for its homemade ice cream, its way with cheeseburgers is nothing short of spectacular. Three or four slices of cheese extend far beyond the edges of the burger as it cooks, so the cheese melts directly onto the surface of the grill, turning chewy and crisp. The hamburger with its soft cheese on top and its halo of textured cheese all around is hefted onto a bun to become one memorable sandwich!

LOVE their Fried Cheese, Fraudman. Shady Glen is fabulous!! I used to live in Manchester, CT so we would go there. They also make the best cole slaw I have ever tasted!! Yum!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/09/09 09:38 PM

I used to live in Manchester as well! However, I sadly missed this place. I don't know how. (I was only there a couple of years. Over in the textile mills that were converted to apts.)

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Miscuit
Originally Posted By: MadisonCali

::thumbs up:: me too!

as for Five Guys, i just recently tried it for the first time...it was just 'ok'...nothing special

maybe i should give it another shot

I think Five Guy's fries are better than their burgers. I've actually gone there for fries and bought a burger at the Charcoal Pit. The carbon footprint for that dinner is astronomical though!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 12:35 PM

That's all right, global warming is a myth, anyway. laugh

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:04 PM

then we should call the myth busters!!! grin

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:34 PM

somebody is lookin' to get busted!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:36 PM

::looks at DeeQ::

yep...i think she is!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:38 PM

eek

that would be a tall order for little ol' me.....

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:41 PM

::looks at miscuit::

yep... i think she is!

smile
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:42 PM

Jakes, Burger Street

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:48 PM

::looks at miscuit::

yep... i think she is!

smile

hey! quit lookin' at me!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:49 PM

::winks::

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:50 PM

I have had my eye on both of youse for like 4 years!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 02:52 PM

Not 7??? laugh

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 04:05 PM

<----- hasn't been around here for 7 years

although yes...i know...it seems like an eternity to some of you smirk

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 05:36 PM

alpha and omega ..... it's been forever!!!!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Agent E
I used to live in Manchester as well! However, I sadly missed this place. I don't know how. (I was only there a couple of years. Over in the textile mills that were converted to apts.)

I know that area. I can't believe you lived in Manchester and never heard of Shady Glen!! They are a regular institution there!! Did you ever go to the Fourth of July chicken barbecue at Manchester State? Best fireworks display I have ever been to!! Set to music and right over your head = fantastic!!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 08:05 PM

By the time I moved to Manchester I was already working mostly in Mass and looking to move out of CT, so I didn't really get to know a lot about the town. But I liked living there anyway. smile

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 08:11 PM

It was a great place - one of the best places I lived in with my children. There were so many activities, summer camps, lessons, etc. They were always way ahead scholastically and equipment-wise, not like MA frown

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 08:25 PM

I lived there from 1986 to 2002 in the North End. By the the City of Village Charm had changed with more crime and lots of sirens. I do not miss the traffic, hustle and bustle and the crowds. Where I live now there is a wetlands across the street and there are deer, turkey and coyotes. Now the coyotes may attack the turkeys but at least they do not call 911.
Posted By: dmg49

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 08:35 PM

[quote=Bonnie QoR]In-N-Out - that's what a hamburgers all about!

Amen to this. In-N-Out defines burger greatness..

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 08:42 PM

I lived there from 1986 to 2002 in the North End. By the the City of Village Charm had changed with more crime and lots of sirens. I do not miss the traffic, hustle and bustle and the crowds. Where I live now there is a wetlands across the street and there are deer, turkey and coyotes. Now the coyotes may attack the turkeys but at least they do not call 911.

We were there at the same time partially - from 1987 to 1994. We left right around the time they started plowing all the farm land, acres of woods and putting up the multitude of malls. At the time it was great but that's progress for you. Coincidentally, where I live now in MA there is an elementary school directly across the street and behind that is a state park. So I have deer, bear, turkeys etc. come across to my yard. Small world!!
Posted By: *BUSTER*

Re: Best Burgers - 06/10/09 10:54 PM

Re: Best Burgers - 06/11/09 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Mocha's Mom

We were there at the same time partially - from 1987 to 1994. We left right around the time they started plowing all the farm land, acres of woods and putting up the multitude of malls. At the time it was great but that's progress for you. Coincidentally, where I live now in MA there is an elementary school directly across the street and behind that is a state park. So I have deer, bear, turkeys etc. come across to my yard. Small world!!

And I was there from 94 to 96ish. smile
Posted By: Bankster

Re: Best Burgers - 06/11/09 02:27 PM

Five Guy's is probably our best. And you can't beat the greasy paper bag full of fries.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/11/09 02:36 PM

Five Guys fries do rock!
Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon

Re: Best Burgers - 06/11/09 02:53 PM

Sit Down:
1st Mighty Fine Burger - http://www.mightyfineburgers.com/
2nd Red Robin's, Chesters, and Chili's are all right up there

Fast Food:
Carls Jr and Whataburger
Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon

Re: Best Burgers - 06/11/09 02:56 PM

Fuddruckers is pretty good too.. Buffalo and Ostrich burgers there aren't too bad either =)

Re: Best Burgers - 06/11/09 03:08 PM

I have had turkey, venison, bison, and elk burgers but have not yet pulled the trigger on an ostrich burger. Is it more like turkey or beef or a cross between the two? I have been wanting to try one.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/11/09 05:09 PM

Tastes like chicken!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/11/09 05:16 PM

Chicken burgers can be tasty too!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 05:08 PM

I had the Arby's "burger" last night. It was pretty good, all though it is not a burger.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 05:16 PM

what was it, then???

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 05:18 PM

It is there regular roast beef with lettuce, tomatoe, mayonaise, etc.
Posted By: pjs

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 05:27 PM

gag me! Roast beef sick
Posted By: Dip

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 05:42 PM

I made burgers this weekend on the grill, and they were the best home-burgergers I've ever had. I dont' think I've ever made my own patties before, so I was playing around and this is what I did that resulted in burgers so good today will be my 4th day eating them...

Added Worceshtershire sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, and pepper to the beef before forming the patties. Then sprinkled some Montreal steak seasoning (course blend of salt, pepper, and some other goodies?) on both sides and kinda patted it into the meat.

Towards the ends of grilling, we topped them with Monterey Jack cheese. They were so good!!!!
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 05:44 PM

Dip, that's about how we do ours but I add a big handful of Italian breadcrumbs to the mix. It helps keep all the fat from dripping out (which makes for juicier burgers) as well as helping them hold together while grilling.

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 05:45 PM

If you like the Montreal Steak seasoning, try Emeril Steak Rub. Very Good. BAM!!!!

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 06:17 PM

I made burgers for a cookout this past weekend. I took some onion and garlic and pretty much liquefied it in the food processor (almost like a paste) and mixed it into the ground beef with some broiled steak seasoning. Although I prefer my onion added to the top of the burger, these were pretty good, it kept them moist inside.
Posted By: Christina

Re: Best Burgers - 06/17/09 07:32 PM

If you're ever in the Big Apple, go to Prime Burger - just across the street from St. Patrick's cathedral. YUM! And be sure to order an egg cream to go with that burger...yummy-yum!