$80,000 per download

Posted By: A_G

$80,000 per download - 06/19/09 01:09 PM

Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case

A federal jury ruled Thursday that Jammie Thomas-Rasset willfully violated the copyrights on 24 songs, and awarded recording companies $1.92 million, or $80,000 per song.

At first I felt bad kind of bad for this woman (big bad record industry vs. mother of 4), until I read this:

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the RIAA, said the industry remains willing to settle. She refused to name a figure, but acknowledged Thomas-Rasset had been given the chance to settle for $3,000 to $5,000 earlier in the case.
Posted By: FBH

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 01:33 PM

That's pretty harsh. I think RIAA is shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of litigation. Music sales continue to plummet (I know I don't buy as much music as I did in the past - and the music I do buy tends to be older bands now), and I don't see the quality of performance like I used to.

Plus, it seems like "albums" are dead. Remember when you'd talk about all the tracks on an album? How it flowed, and how the the overall work was viewed? Now it seems I only buy only singles...The last full album I've liked was Wolfmother's first (and only) album...and that's like 6 years old now.
Posted By: buggs

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 03:22 PM

Everyone is given the right to "settle" for $3,000 to $5,000. That's how it worked. The RIAA would contact someone and claim he or she illegaly downloaded and/or shared music protected by copyright. Then they would say, however, if you agree to pay us $3,000 we won't file a lawsuit.

Some people consider this offer to "settle" to be tantamount to extortion, but were intimidated enough to accept the offer, even if they didn't do anything wrong. Ms. Thomas-Rasset decided (or was talked into it) to challenge the RIAA's practices and go to court.

Now, the RIAA wants ISPs to enforce copyright law by giving us three strikes and then cutting off our access to the internet. That tactic seems to be failing in France due to public outcry.
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 03:24 PM

In communist America.... Songs download you

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
Everyone is given the right to "settle" for $3,000 to $5,000. That's how it worked. The RIAA would contact someone and claim he or she illegaly downloaded and/or shared music protected by copyright. Then they would say, however, if you agree to pay us $3,000 we won't file a lawsuit.

Some people consider this offer to "settle" to be tantamount to extortion, but were intimidated enough to accept the offer, even if they didn't do anything wrong. Ms. Thomas-Rasset decided (or was talked into it) to challenge the RIAA's practices and go to court.

Now, the RIAA wants ISPs to enforce copyright law by giving us three strikes and then cutting off our access to the internet. That tactic seems to be failing in France due to public outcry.

I might try something like this this weekend. Whenever anything happens to me, I'm going to ask the nearest person if they'd like to settle the dispute now with a $1,000 check, or risk going to court. Maybe I'll get enough settlements to pay off my law school loans...Sheer brilliance!
Posted By: A_G

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 03:47 PM

Aren't settlements and plea deals a huge part of our justice system?

It's the way things work.

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 03:48 PM

Absolutely - they beat the costs of trial any day! I'm a big fan of settlements.

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 04:01 PM

This issue with the RIAA's settlements is that nobody knew for sure (for a variety of reasons) whether or not the RIAA could prove infringment. Many look upon the RIAA as using the legal system to strong arm individuals into forking over money in order to scare others from downloading "free" music files.

It's worked somewhat for them, but as someone has already pointed out, the music industry is still seeing their sales drop, so one has to ask, whether these tactics help or hurt the industry in the long run.

Here's a joke flowchart about how the process works. But remember, there is some truth behind this joke.

RIAA Lawsuit Decision Matrix
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 04:18 PM

wait a minute, having parties agree to settle is wrong, wrong, wrong...just look over there>>>>>in the Donte Stallworth thread
Posted By: Spook-a-Muffin

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 04:28 PM

I admit i'm a pirate, but if i like the band i will go out and buy a cd just to support them.
Posted By: Ops

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 04:52 PM

Last two albums I bought were pretty much terrible. Last one was a couple years ago, and I don't know that I'll buy another unless it's classic rock.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 05:05 PM

Note to Ops: There aren't that many classic rock albums coming out these days. grin

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 07:04 PM

Ops, there's good new music out there, you just can't rely upon the major labels to sign and promote these bands. You have to listen to the right radio stations and podcasts, track the right blogs, and keep your ears open.

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 09:21 PM

Here's the $2 million dollar playlist:

Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle"; "November Rain"
Vanessa Williams "Save the Best for Last"
Janet Jackson "Let’s What Awhile"
Gloria Estefan "Here We Are"; "Coming Out of the Heart"; "Rhythm is Gonna Get You"
Goo Goo Dolls "Iris"
Journey "Faithfully"; "Don’t Stop Believing"
Sara McLachlan "Possession"; "Building a Mystery"
Aerosmith "Cryin’"
Linkin Park "One Step Closer"
Def Leppard "Pour Some Sugar on Me"
Reba McEntire "One Honest Heart"
Bryan Adams "Somebody"
No Doubt "Bathwater"; "Hella Good"; "Different People"
Sheryl Crow "Run Baby Run"
Richard Marx "Now and Forever"
Destiny’s Child "Bills, Bills, Bills"
Green Day "Basket Case"
Posted By: Peepers

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 09:33 PM

for $2 million dollars you would think she would share some good music

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Note to Ops: There aren't that many classic rock albums coming out these days. grin

You're a turd. grin

::waits for someone to freak out on me for callin GD a turd::

Ops, there's good new music out there, you just can't rely upon the major labels to sign and promote these bands. You have to listen to the right radio stations and podcasts, track the right blogs, and keep your ears open.

That takes too much time I don't have. Why don't you just tell me where to look. laugh Oh, wait... we don't so much agree on [most] music. Scratch that.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude

You're a turd. grin

::waits for someone to freak out on me for callin GD a turd::

good job with the turd reference

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 09:37 PM

Thanks.. I put a lot of thought into that.

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops
That takes too much time I don't have. Why don't you just tell me where to look. laugh Oh, wait... we don't so much agree on [most] music. Scratch that.

LOL! I'd love to, but well, we know what would happen. laugh

Re: $80,000 per download - 06/19/09 10:59 PM

Give it a shot.. dunno how long it'll last. laugh