That's a lot of money!

Posted By: Jokerman

That's a lot of money! - 10/29/09 04:10 AM

You know, maybe Harry, Nancy, and Barry are right - the insurance companies are earning a profit, and you and I have to pay for that profit through higher premiums. I was looking at Fortune, and the big insurers who cover most of us earn somewhere around $10 billion a year - a little more some years, a little less in others. Just think how much that equates to for each insured person! I don't know how many there are, but I'd say it's somwhere between 100 and 200 million people - so it's probably $50 to $100 per year those insurance company profits are costing you and me.

Anyone notice this CBS 60 Minutes piece over the weekend?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/23/60minutes/main5414390.shtml
Posted By: Tigg

Re: That's a lot of money! - 10/29/09 10:59 AM

Medicare fraud has been around a long time. But what I don't understand is how healthcare reform is going to stop it. Won't it be possible the public option will be abused in the same fashion?

BTW does anyone ever notice that all the fraud happens in the government regulated programs? HUD? Medicare? Welfare?
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: That's a lot of money! - 10/29/09 01:00 PM

but Naancy will unveil the plan today, and it will save $500 million in medicare alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: That's a lot of money! - 10/29/09 07:46 PM

is that sarcasm?

it's difficult to tell

smirk
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: That's a lot of money! - 10/29/09 08:53 PM

doctor doctor....

Mistress MD.....

can you what's ailing me?
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: That's a lot of money! - 10/29/09 09:01 PM

not today

but tomorrow i can give you a full diagnosis
Posted By: straw

Re: That's a lot of money! - 10/29/09 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jokerman
You know, maybe Harry, Nancy, and Barry are right - the insurance companies are earning a profit, and you and I have to pay for that profit through higher premiums. I was looking at Fortune, and the big insurers who cover most of us earn somewhere around $10 billion a year - a little more some years, a little less in others. Just think how much that equates to for each insured person! I don't know how many there are, but I'd say it's somwhere between 100 and 200 million people - so it's probably $50 to $100 per year those insurance company profits are costing you and me.

Anyone notice this CBS 60 Minutes piece over the weekend?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/23/60minutes/main5414390.shtml

Don't worry. The government will take the profit out of it.