Taser - man's new best friend?

Posted By: HappyGilmore

Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:09 PM

snipped

Quote:
OZARK, Ark. — Ozark Police Chief Jim Noggle says one of his officers used a Taser on a 10-year-old girl who was combative when the officer tried to get the girl into a patrol car to be taken to a youth shelter.

Noggle said Tuesday that officer Dustin Bradshaw went to the girl's home after her mother called police woman called police.

According to a report filed by Bradshaw on Thursday, the officer found the girl on the floor of the house screaming and crying. She refused to follow her mother's instructions and the mother told Bradshaw to use his Taser.

Bradshaw carried the girl to the living room and told her she was going to jail, according to the report. The girl was violently kicking, the report said, and struck Bradshaw in the groin with her legs and feet. The report said Bradshaw administered a "very, very brief" stun with the Taser, put the girl in handcuffs and carried her to his patrol car. She was taken to the Western Arkansas Youth Shelter in Cecil.

Posted By: kms

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:16 PM

unfreaking real, a ten yr old? When do the police start listening to what the civilians have to say? Sounds like she needed medical help more than police.
Posted By: A_G

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:17 PM

I'm sure she deserved it. smile
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:20 PM

I would tase a 10 year old in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:24 PM

what's a hearbeat, bababa?
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:27 PM

sounds like the brat kid deserved it.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:27 PM

"Don't tase me, bro."
Posted By: QCL

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: kms
unfreaking real, a ten yr old? When do the police start listening to what the civilians have to say? Sounds like she needed medical help more than police.

When do civilians go back to listening to the police?

Not that this is excusable, but what kid kicks a cop? Maybe it's my naïveté, but around here the kids still respect the cops.

It's easy to play armchair quarterback. Clearly there is more going on here than was reported. Why did her mom call the police anyway? Was she a danger to herself? Was she a danger to others?

I don't have enough information to hang the cop, thankyouverymuch.

"was combative when the officer tried to get the girl into a patrol car to be taken to a youth shelter.

Noggle said Tuesday that officer Dustin Bradshaw went to the girl's home after her mother called police"

Going to find my Jump to Conclusions Mat...
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: A G
"Don't tase me, bro."

Don't tax me, bro!

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: QueenChop'dLiver
but what kid kicks a cop? Maybe it's my naïveté, but around here the kids still respect the cops.

Clearly there is more going on here than was reported.

Word, LiverLips. Word.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:32 PM

"the officer found the girl on the floor of the house screaming and crying."

Something was going on with the child that she was hysterical, tasering should not have been an option. I stand by my feelings that medical personnel should have been called.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:33 PM

Yeah, it's called a tantrum.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:34 PM

"the officer found the girl on the floor of the house screaming and crying throwing a temper tantrum, a conniption fit if you will."

lock and load...

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:35 PM

you two obviously have no children

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:36 PM

correct, but we were a couple of children not so long ago.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:38 PM

Please adjust the weight you give to my opinion accordingly.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Jay

Some longer ago that others. ^^^ ::cough cough::

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:40 PM

:raises hand: no kids here. Kicking a cop? Inexcuseable.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:40 PM

^^^all natural^^^

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:41 PM

"the officer found the girl on the floor of the house screaming and crying."

Something was going on with the child that she was hysterical, tasering should not have been an option. I stand by my feelings that medical personnel should have been called.

We will have to agree to disagree, my friend. smile
I stand by my feelings that the cop knew more about the situation than you or I did or will.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:42 PM

Some still are ::cough cough:: wink

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:42 PM

eek
Posted By: Buccs

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:43 PM

There probably was more than was reported QCL but on the other hand this is a full grown man v. a 10 year old girl. I have a hard time believing he couldn't have adequately controlled her without using a taser. And if he couldn't, what business does he have being a cop?

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:44 PM

BURN!

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: BaBaBa
There probably was more than was reported QCL but on the other hand this is a full grown man v. a 10 year old girl. I have a hard time believing he couldn't have adequately controlled her without using a taser. And if he couldn't, what business does he have being a cop?

Stop talking. Go sit over there...

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:45 PM

laugh laugh laugh

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:45 PM

I'm with-holding judgement until the President weighs in on whether the cops acted stupidly or not...

seriously, I doubt he did this without attempting to subdue using normal methods
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:50 PM

::qualifying statement, I have two children::

Have to agree with QCL, (It's easy to play armchair quarterback. Clearly there is more going on here than was reported. Why did her mom call the police anyway? Was she a danger to herself? Was she a danger to others? ) there is just not enough info in the article to make a judgment on the officers actions. On the surface I say, fricken brat throwing a tantrum, needs here ass whooped.

But the other side of me says, there was probably something more going on with this child, and would merrit more restraint by the officer. I would like to think the officer could have cuffed the girl or called in some help, and not used a taser.

But after getting kicked in the family jewels, the officer probably wanted to tase her.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:52 PM

Thank you for showing that those without kids can have an agreeing opinion on those with children regarding this issue.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: DD Regs
But after getting kicked in the family jewels, the officer probably wanted to tase her.

I can certainly see this too. I don't think anything should happen to the guy, he probably did the best with what he had at the moment, but tasing a 10 year old seems slightly excessive to me.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: BaBaBa

Have you ever tried to restrain someone whom you do not wish to harm but they do not care if they harm you (or are actively trying to harm you)? It's not a simple as you might think, even if there is a significant size disparity.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Have you ever tried to restrain someone whom you do not wish to harm but they do not care if they harm you (or are actively trying to harm you)? It's not a simple as you might think, even if there is a significant size disparity.

I guess I'd never thought of it this way.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:56 PM

i think i'd be PO'd if my 10 yr old child was tased

but the mother DID ask the officer to do it...so.....

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:57 PM

Thank you for showing that those without who are still kids can have an agreeing opinion on those with children regarding this issue.

laugh wink

<--- Got new coffee for the Keurig!!! Santa's buzz!!! Sorry...I'm all hopped up on caffeine.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:57 PM

I have 13 yr old with adhd and when he is raging at me, he is much stronger than I am and I cannot restrain him, but have learned other ways to subdue him.

Buccs and I agree on something:priceless

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 02:59 PM

Happy, would you have a link to the entire article?

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:00 PM

Perhaps the cop thought that threatening to take away the kid's TV watching would prove fruitless.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:00 PM

that is the entire article, or at least the entire one on foxnews

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:02 PM

Oh. It said snipped - that's why I asked.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:03 PM

maybe he snipped it from fox, unless another news station has more.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:18 PM

I have 13 yr old with adhd and when he is raging at me, he is much stronger than I am and I cannot restrain him, but have learned other ways to subdue him.

::makes note to return the winter parka that I bought for kms for Christmas and get her a Taser instead::

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:19 PM

Really? You call it a parka? eek

laugh laugh laugh

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:22 PM

I am in texas Jay!!! No parkas needed or tasers. The more he works out for sports the harder it gets!!!

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:23 PM

Really? You call it a parka? eek

laugh laugh laugh

dude, stifle.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:28 PM

AG - that was the entire article, I used "snipped" in deference to BOL who asks that when a copywrite piece is used, that it is pointed out...

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 03:29 PM

word.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 04:26 PM

snip
Posted By: Bankster

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 04:40 PM

Some kids today have no respect for anyone. My MIL works at a local public school where a 16-year old girl punched her teacher, punched the school's security officer, and then took a swing at the cop that was called in. Not sure if they tased her, but wouldn't have had a problem if they did.

Kicking a cop in the 'goods' should get you tased every time. Hopefully this 10-yr learned a lesson.
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:20 PM

This is an electrifying conversation...

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:20 PM

I am simply shocked at the differing opinions

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:25 PM

Don't tase me, bro!
Posted By: *BUSTER*

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:28 PM

I am a firm believer that some kids should get a good butt whooping very now and then. Not every kid, there are some that never need anything more than a verbal warning, if that.

But I got whooped when I was a young'un, and I turned out just fine.

Some of the kids out there now have never been raised to respect their parents so they think they can do anything they want and never get punished, it's one of the many things wrong in this politically correct nonsense bull-poop world that we now live in.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:30 PM

One time I mouthed off to mom one Sunday morning and she slapped me so hard that it left a hand/ring print on my face. Needless to say, I didn't have to go to church that morning! laugh

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:35 PM

Well BaBaBa,
Im sure there is AMPle opportunity for the exchange of ideas. But I think that as responsible cooler participants, we are charged with the responsibility to acknowledge each others differences. There is much potential here
Posted By: opsoff

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:39 PM

Disclaimer-> Has no children, nor wants children (see my sig line)

Many years ago my then 6 year old niece was throwing a similar style tantrum while I was babysitting her. In the process of me trying to get her to calm down she slammed me in the face hard enough to give me a black eye that lasted for about 2 weeks and a small split on my cheek. I gave her a good butt wack and I honestly wanted to take her head off but even as angry as I was I don't think I could have asked someone to take a taser to her. The cop should have had enough self restraint to know that the request was a really bad idea, even after being nailed in the family jewels.
Posted By: Ops

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:41 PM

<--- needs to steal opsoff's sig line.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:43 PM

<--------me too^^^^^^^^^

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 05:46 PM

Sox has a husband? shocked

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 06:00 PM

smile

Hubby had hernia surgery Monday, that sig line is more true now than ever!

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 06:13 PM

<---also loves the sig line! laugh
Posted By: RBanker

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 06:21 PM

Don't assume that because she was 10 years old, that she could/should have been handled without a Taser - I have seen some pretty big 10 year olds in this age of obesity - and a good swift kick in the jewels from one of them could you leave you incapacitated.....

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 06:22 PM

Sox has a husband? shocked

Its legal....

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 06:25 PM

I certainly don't think the Mom telling the cop to taser the child has any bearing on him doing it or not...unless she was practicing the old Jedi mind control trick...

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 06:26 PM

And, he's over 21... whistle

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: opsoff
Disclaimer-> Has no children, nor wants children (see my sig line)

Many years ago my then 6 year old niece was throwing a similar style tantrum while I was babysitting her. In the process of me trying to get her to calm down she slammed me in the face hard enough to give me a black eye that lasted for about 2 weeks and a small split on my cheek. I gave her a good butt wack and I honestly wanted to take her head off but even as angry as I was I don't think I could have asked someone to take a taser to her. The cop should have had enough self restraint to know that the request was a really bad idea, even after being nailed in the family jewels.

I've hereby changed my tagline to an appropriate disclaimer regarding children. Most of my experience is from nieces, nephews, and godkids.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 07:34 PM

My brother just sent me this and I thought it was timely.

Tough Love vs. Spanking - Good Argument

Most people think it improper to spank children, so I have tried other methods to control my kids when they have one of ‘those moments.’

One that I found effective is for me to just take the child for a car ride and talk.

Some say it's the vibration from the car, others say it's the time away from any distractions such as TV, Video Games, Computer, IPod, etc..

Either way, my kids usually calm down and stop misbehaving after our car ride together. Eye to eye contact helps a lot too.
I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique.

Click Link for image of how it works.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 07:36 PM

I've hereby changed my tagline to an appropriate disclaimer regarding children. Most of my experience is from nieces, nephews, and godkids.

Love the tagline! I have 11 nieces and nephews, 2 great-nephews and a great-niece on the way. I get all the experience and birth control I need at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 07:37 PM

shocked laugh

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 07:38 PM

I used to be a an animal keeper at an amusement/animal park *shudder*. I also worked as a girl scout camp riding instructor one summer during college. *double shudder* Talk about effective birth control!

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 07:52 PM

Love the tagline! I have 11 nieces and nephews, 2 great-nephews and a great-niece on the way. I get all the experience and birth control I need at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Are you saying some of your nephews aren't so great? laugh wink

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/18/09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Becca Chick
If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat.

Best one ever! laugh
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/19/09 12:08 AM

Perhaps the cop thought that threatening to take away the kid's TV watching would prove fruitless.

Just send her to her room on "time out." That should do it. Punish her with uninterrupted time on her ipod, iphone, imac, i-etc. smirk
Posted By: Clown Boy

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/19/09 06:46 AM

Screw being PC! I have 2 kids and I spank them when they get out of line... then after they calm down I kneel in front of them (I learned this from nanny 911, no jokes smile ) I explain what they did wrong and why its unexceptable. Because of this my kids are very well behaved.

I think the cop was right on the money. Its a felony to hit a cop... even for a 10 year old. I think this all boils down to the mother (and father or lack of one) any parent who has to call the cops on a 10 year old is doing something wrong. My brother has ADD and got way out of control sometimes, but my momma had a big wooden paddle (with all three of our names carved in it) and it always seemed to help him calm down. That mom needs to put the fear of God in that little brat... and if that means answering to idiots who think a spanking is child abuse then so be it...

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/19/09 01:22 PM

I was up until 230 am putting the fear of god in my 13 yr old, the first couple of tries didnt take. Oh the joys of an ADHD/ODD child. You get tempted to call the cops, or at least I do but i never end up doing it.

Re: Taser - man's new best friend? - 11/19/09 03:53 PM

Are you saying some of your nephews aren't so great? laugh wink

I'm too young to have great anything family wise! cry