Tech Help Needed

Posted By: Anonymous

Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 08:25 PM

I just poured Dr. Pepper on my keyboard, any advice will be greatly appreciatedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd. Ooh, cr#P, HeLp.
Posted By: JacF

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 08:29 PM

Reboot.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 08:33 PM

Oh right that always fixes everything!

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 08:38 PM

Oh, no. Reinstall your operating system. THAT will fix everything -- or at least the tech support folks would like you to believe that when they are trying to hose and close and get you off the phone.
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 08:45 PM

Quote:

Reboot.

I beg to differ. Rebooting does not fix everything. When it comes to computers, I find that time heals all. It will just fix itself.
Posted By: Tom C

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 09:06 PM

Can you spell "requisition form"?
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 09:19 PM

get a new keyboard....they're cheap
Posted By: Karen Williams

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 09:21 PM

Wait until a co-worker leaves his desk and switch keyboards with him. Fixes the problem every time!

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/12/03 09:49 PM

Grab a straw and suck it out, then, grab the canned air and spray it dry!
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 03:31 PM

Did you call IT? They can fix anything!
And if they can't fix it, remember it's your fault!

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 03:36 PM

Bill Gates buys a House

Bill:
"There are a few issues we need to discuss."

Contractor:
"Ah, you have our basic support option. Calls are free for the first 90 days and $75 a call thereafter. Okay?"

Bill:
"Uh, yeah... the first issue is the living room. We think it's a little smaller than we anticipated."

Contractor:
"Yeah. Some compromises were made to have it out by the release date."

Bill:
"We won't be able to fit all our furniture in there."

Contractor:
"Well, you have two options. You can purchase a new, larger living room; or you can use a Stacker."

Bill:
"Stacker?"

Contractor:
"Yeah, it allows you to fit twice as much furniture into the room. By stacking it, of course, you put the entertainment center on the couch... the chairs on the table... etc. You leave an empty spot, so when you want to use some furniture you can unstack what you need and then put it back when you're done."

Bill:
"Uh... I dunno... issue two. The second issue is the light fixtures. The bulbs we brought with us from our old home won't fit. The threads run the wrong way."

Contractor:
"Oh! That's easy. Those bulbs aren't plug and play. You'll have to upgrade to the new bulbs."

Bill:
"And the electrical outlets? The holes are round, not rectangular. How do I fix that?"

Contractor:
"Just uninstall and reinstall the electrical system."

Bill:
"You're kidding!?"

Contractor:
"Nope. Its the only way."

Bill:
" Well... I have one last problem. Sometimes, when I have guests over, someone will flush the toilet and it won't stop. The water pressure drops so low that the showers don't work."

Contractor:
"That's a resource leakage problem. One fixture is failing to terminate and is hogging the resources preventing access from other fixtures."

Bill:
"And how do I fix that?"

Contractor:
"Well, after each flush, you all need to exit the house, turn off the water at the street, turn it back on, reenter the house and then you can get back to work."

Bill:
"That's the last straw. What kind of product are you selling me?"

Contractor:
"Hey, nobody's making you buy it."

Bill:
"And when will this be fixed?"

Contractor:
"Oh, in your next house -- which will be ready to release sometime near the end of next year. It was due out this year, but we've had some delays..."
Posted By: Kansayaku

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 03:37 PM

Pour some coffee on the CPU.

That should put the caffeine boost back in balance.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 03:38 PM

Quote:

Reboot.

Why is it that everytime I contact our IT dept. for help, it's always reboot! It's very frusturating however, it usually does the trick!

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 03:40 PM

Do you have a straw?
Posted By: JeloQuen

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 04:14 PM

I know you won't believe me, but....... run it through the dishwasher. Just allow about 2 days for drying.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 04:19 PM

Actually, the dishwasher scenerio is probably sound advice. If it hasn't already shorted out, that should fix the problem. But like they said - allow ample drying time and don't use the soap - that stuff is so nasty it will etch new nanopathways and create a BORG..........
Posted By: Don_Narup

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 04:21 PM

As long as the Dr Pepper is in liquid form you won't short out anything to much. As it dries however the goo will definitely have your keys sticking. Its isn't worth the effort to try and dry it out successfully.

Take an early lunch and head for a computer store and buy a key board. They run $10.00 bucks for el chepo and you can get a very nice one in the $20.00 to $30.00 range.

Next time push the drive button on the front of your PC and the built in cup holder will slide out.
Posted By: Kansayaku

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 04:22 PM

Quote:

Next time push the drive button on the front of your PC and the built in cup holder will slide out.

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 04:28 PM

LOL love it! But it does kinda resemble a cup holder. And yes new keyboards are really cheap. But I have it on sound IT advice, my husband is certified, that the dishwasher does work.
Posted By: Don_Narup

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 04:32 PM

Another question. Why did you pour Dr Pepper on your key board in the first place? Of course by now, unless you have replaced the keyboard , all your keys are sticking and you cannot reply. So just bang on a bunch of keys to respond to the following questions from the IT dept.

"jmuh" (bang middle of keyboard) means Yes and "p-[;ik" (bang left side of keyboard) means No and "32ewq"(bang left side of keyboard) means Maybe

CORRECTION Bang right side of keyboard for "p-[;ik"

Did you select Dr Pepper because it is more corrosive than Pepsi?

Do you own stock in a keyboard manufacturing company?

Did you do this because "You need a break today" and McDonald's has a two hour special going.

Did you think it would wash out the Bagel crumbs?

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 04:34 PM

Don-
Perhaps you should look into getting a new keyboard as well. Yours seems to have two left sides.
Posted By: Rubaiyat

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 04:39 PM

The last time I spilled coffee on my keyboard at work the IT guy told me to insitute a "no coffee" zone around my keyboard. He even offered to give me some masking tape in case I needed a visual reminder.

Those IT folks are SO helpful!

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 06:03 PM

Quote:

I know you won't believe me, but....... run it through the dishwasher. Just allow about 2 days for drying.

This actually works, I do it to my son's keyboard (7 year olds always drop food in their keyboards). Just make sure that it's totally dry before you use it.

Oh, I am ashamed to admit it, but my fiance is an IT geek.

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 06:05 PM

Quote:

But I have it on sound IT advice, my husband is certified, that the dishwasher does work.

Aren't they all certifiable?

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 06:31 PM

I'm going to try the dishwasher idea on my keyboard at home. Between my 5 & 8 year old kids, it's pretty much trashed. I was planning on buying a new one, so if it doesn't work, oh well.

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 06:32 PM

You definately have that right. His question this morning prompted me to come up with this:

Cost of 5 beer rounds, because I sux'd at darts.........$25
Last minute tickets to Father's Day Drag Races ........$300
My answer to his relief when discovering that today is Friday and tomorrow he doesn't have to work.........Priceless!
There are some things money can't buy, and for everything else there's MASTERCARD!
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 06:39 PM

Quote:

I'm going to try the dishwasher idea on my keyboard at home. Between my 5 & 8 year old kids, it's pretty much trashed. I was planning on buying a new one, so if it doesn't work, oh well.

Put the whole computer in there along with an antibiotic and you can get rid of viruses too.

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 06:46 PM

LOL!!
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 06:46 PM

Quote:

Did you select Dr Pepper because it is more corrosive than Pepsi?

If you put a baby tooth in a can of Pepsi it will dissolve. You can't really get more corrosive than that.

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 06:47 PM

Quote:

You definately have that right. His question this morning prompted me to come up with this:

Cost of 5 beer rounds, because I sux'd at darts.........$25
Last minute tickets to Father's Day Drag Races ........$300
My answer to his relief when discovering that today is Friday and tomorrow he doesn't have to work.........Priceless!
There are some things money can't buy, and for everything else there's MASTERCARD!

Actually, I tell him that it's like playing Jeopardy when we have a conversation. He is just so way out there in Geekworld... Now he actually hums the tune when he can't remember what he wanted to tell me!
"oh, did I tell you about whathisname, and he went Iforgetwhere..." "Oh, I told, Mike, I mean Joe, no wait, Harry..." dun-na-na-na-na-nanah...dun-na-na-na-nah-nananananaa-na-na-na-a-na...
It's hysterical. LOL
Posted By: Walleye Woman

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 07:21 PM

Quote:

I hate to admit that when I tried the e-mail attachment that told me I was receiving a free gift from Coca-Cola it took a few tries before I realized that my CD-Rom wasn't really malfunctioning! I shouldn't even admit that but then again I'm mechanically challenged.

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 08:09 PM

Quote:

Just make sure it's unplugged from the hard drive. Duh.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/13/03 08:20 PM

Also in the "Duh" category -- when you place it in the dishwasher, be sure it's upside down so all that crud flushes out. And turn the heating element off or you could be worse off than when you started.
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/15/03 06:40 PM

Work - request a new keyboard
Home - tell your spouse you needed a new PC anyway
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Tech Help Needed - 06/18/03 06:02 AM

Man - I can't wait for the day when we'll have virtual keyboards.

BTW - a couple of years ago, I remember seeing a news story about a cardboard computer. This company had invented a disposable computer made of cardboard. The keyboard was a basic membrane over the input device, and the screen was a thin layer of a some sort of liquid crystal display. The whole thing was battery powered and meant to be thrown away when the battery died. The computer utilized a wireless connection to the Internet.

The company also had disposable cell phone also made of cardboard and available for sale with a pre-paid amount of minutes.

But since then I've never heard anything else about it. I don't think the date I saw the program was 4/1, but perhaps it was a re-run.

Does anyone else remember seeing anything like that?

(Dammit - I want a cardboard computer!!!!)