Salute to our troops

Posted By: Bob McComas

Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 02:57 PM

This takes a minute to load, but is an excellent salute to our troops. The music is wonderful. Enjoy. Slide Show
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 03:25 PM

WOW!!
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 03:44 PM

Thank you Bob, that was awesome to share....
Posted By: gone

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 03:48 PM

Thank you. I needed that, and will share with my family and friends. If only more Americans would appreciate our troops.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 03:56 PM

May God bless America, and all who serve to protect her. Amen!
Posted By: Rubaiyat

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 04:21 PM

That was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that with us! What a good reminder for us all. (Now, where are my kleenex?)
Posted By: JulesB

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 04:54 PM

Quote:

That was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that with us! What a good reminder for us all. (Now, where are my kleenex?)

Ditto here. A couple of friends of mine have sons over in Iraq right now, and my stepson is leaving in August for Marine bootcamp. Our family will then have at least one person who has served in all four branches of our military (my Dad-Navy, my husband-Air Force, his Dad and Grandfather-Army). We are very proud to support all of our troops, no matter where they are serving.
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 05:44 PM

When I was in Fairbanks there was a group of very young soldiers at the restaurant we ate at that night. We were watching them scrape pennies to pay for dinner (it was one of the groups birthday so they went out to a "nice" place) and one of my friends suggested that our collective banks grab the bill. We had the waiter run it up between the three of us as a gift from the bank's.

I have to admit, the looks on these kids faces were priceless when a bunch of old ladies paid for their dinner (I'm not ancient but at 40...I'm sure they put me in the old lady category) If I were fabulously wealthy, or I'd budgeted more into my public relations budget...I'd do that every night!
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 05:49 PM

Quote:

and one of my friends suggested that our collective banks grab the bill. We had the waiter run it up between the three of us as a gift from the bank's.

Posted By: Skittles

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 06:05 PM

My best friend used to do that sometimes. We'd go out to dinner and he'd tell the waiter to add someone's bill onto his and he'd pay for it. We'd leave and they wouldn't even know it yet. I thought that was incredible.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 06:45 PM

I can't help it, but many a time I get a lump in my throat when the flag goes by in a parade, or I hear the National Anthem. My husband makes fun of me, but I am just an ol' softie! We are so lucky to live in this land, and I hope I NEVER take it for granted.
Posted By: DawgFan

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/20/03 08:10 PM

Man, that was incredible. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Posted By: Bob McComas

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/24/03 03:51 AM

When I came home from Vietnam in 1969, there were no parades, no fan fair, no flag waving. My wife was the only one at the airport to greet me. As I walked the corridors of the airport in my uniform and jump boots, no one said anything to us as if we were outcasts. It was sad that so few cared for those who fought and died so far away. I am so glad that as a nation, we have come overcome that, and firmly stand behind everyone who serves our country regardless of where they may be. May God protect them all and return them home at last.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/24/03 04:02 PM

Quote:

When I was in Fairbanks there was a group of very young soldiers at the restaurant we ate at that night. We were watching them scrape pennies to pay for dinner (it was one of the groups birthday so they went out to a "nice" place) and one of my friends suggested that our collective banks grab the bill. We had the waiter run it up between the three of us as a gift from the bank's.

I have to admit, the looks on these kids faces were priceless when a bunch of old ladies paid for their dinner (I'm not ancient but at 40...I'm sure they put me in the old lady category) If I were fabulously wealthy, or I'd budgeted more into my public relations budget...I'd do that every night!

My brother is in the Air Force stationed in Fairbanks (currently in Korea). Thanks for supporting our troops in a most personal way.

That video was so moving, I reached for my kleenex before it got to the third or fourth slide. I'm forwarding the link, I know a lot of people that will be moved by it. We are so lucky to live in a country where others are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice so that we live in freedom. It will never cease to amaze me.

I love that Army commercial they have out now that says, "Every generation has it's heros, this one is no different."
Posted By: Awesome Bill's #1 Fan

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/24/03 04:10 PM

I was so moved by the video, I forgot to sign in before I made my reply. I'm the anonymous post right above this one.
Posted By: swiggles

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/24/03 05:28 PM

Thanx, Bob!! That was awesome. My Dad (rest his soul) was a WWII veteran. He was always proud of the fact that he joined the army air corp BEFORE the war began. He would've loved to see this presentation.

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 01:38 PM

Quote:

When I came home from Vietnam in 1969, there were no parades, no fan fair, no flag waving

Bob, next time I'm in Dallas...I'm buying you dinner!

I think it's such a shame that people can't learn that protesting a war, shouldn't mean protesting the men and women who are serving in the conflict. Vietnam was controversial in many minds, but the US should be ashamed about the way we treated our vets afterwards. Thanks for being there for our country Bob!
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 01:42 PM

Quote:

I think it's such a shame that people can't learn that protesting a war, shouldn't mean protesting the men and women who are serving in the conflict.

That is such a fine line. I do not know how you protest a war without affecting those serving? Do you think that those who protested the latest war, but said they do support the troops, have sent CARE packages or supportive letters...or something to evidence that?

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 02:01 PM

I think you protest through your political avenues...write congress...holler at the president, but once we go into war, you need to get off the street corner with your signs and get down to the local armed services charity of your choice, and be there for the troops.

But then again, what do I know....I refuse to order freedom fries...I eat FRENCH fries at some point it just gets silly.

Posted By: Kansayaku

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 02:16 PM

Quote:

I think it's such a shame that people can't learn that protesting a war, shouldn't mean protesting the men and women who are serving in the conflict. Vietnam was controversial in many minds, but the US should be ashamed about the way we treated our vets afterwards.

This is also the way I feel. Although I must admit, I did not agree with going to war without UN support (which we most likely would have had if we had not waited so long) but I have always had the utmost respect for the troops.

I come from a military family. My father served as a medic during Vietnam. I learned at an early age that there is a great and distinct difference between those making the decision to go to war and those fighting in it.

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 03:20 PM

Quote:

I did not agree with going to war without UN support

The only reason we did not have UN support was because of holdouts who have substantial financial holdings in Iraq. There may have been good reasons for not going into this war (only time will tell), but I do not think we should take our marching orders from the UN. Like someone once said, there is not a French or Russian Capitol that has to approve decisions sent from Capitol Hill to the White House.
Posted By: Kansayaku

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 03:37 PM

I believe if we had went to war sooner, we would have had UN support. But we joined a group, we should play by the rules. We just waited too long.

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 04:02 PM

No offense, but I think that logic is a little weak when it comes to national security. I don't care what group we join, if our national security is at risk, we act with or without them. (and I am not necessarily talking about our latest skirmish) Show me where in our constitution, any laws of the U.S., or our agreement to join the UN that we said we would not go to war without UN approval?

Now back to the current war. Maybe the problem is not so much with the US (and its allies) breaking with the UN, but the UN pussyfooting around with 14 or 15 different resolutions--lines in the sand that they kept moving. ("I dare you to step over this line--ok, now, I double dare you to step over this line....ad nasuem.) Saddam was playing the UN for fools...Obviously, we were not privy to the security briefings the White House got, but I'm glad they finally said to the UN--you said if Iraq did not "fully" cooperate, there would be severe consequences--if you aren't willing to do it, we are!

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 05:47 PM

I'm with zaibatsu.

and

God bless America!!!
Posted By: redsfan

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 06:59 PM

Z, I don't think it's necessary to "support" the troops in any of the ways you suggest (or any other for that matter). But to equate the troops with who are sent to fight the war with the policy of the government that sent them there is wrong.

The objectionable, down-right despicable conduct towards military personnel returning from Vietnam (or in general during that time) was labeling decent, hard-working, principled men and women in the armed forces as "baby-killers," "fascists," etc.

The anti-war movement in the United States in the forgot that they weren't the only people who could have convictions or principles. They compounded that error by attacking, not the people who made the policy that brought the war, but instead epople whose only "crime" was believing that when their country called, it was their duty to respond.

I still don't know whether the war in Iraq meets the criteria for a "just war." But I do know that I am proud of the people who went to Iraq because they thought that it was their duty to do so, and I feel privileged that such fine young men and women are willing to defend my freedoms (and my skin, for that matter).

This is getting way to deep for a Wednesday afternoon.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 07:15 PM

Not withstanding all that has been said, Ben Franklin did put it best:

"There was never a good war or a bad peace."
Posted By: Awesome Bill's #1 Fan

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 07:20 PM

Dittos Zibatsu! We cannot depend on other countries in the world to make our foreign policy. Been there, done that, for years we followed that road that and we all know what that got us. We are the leaders of the free world and we need to start acting like it. I cannot feel safe letting, lets say the French government, or some tiny little country I've never heard of, determine what we should do, afterall they may have ulterior motives. They are looking out for their best interests, which may not be the same as ours.

United We Stand, Strong!

(Hit a little nerve there, I'll get off my soap box now)

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 07:33 PM

Quote:

Not withstanding all that has been said, Ben Franklin did put it best:

"There was never a good war or a bad peace."

I saw that as an Albert Einstein quote once. I agree with it, but peace is not a despot gassing his people or a Nazi killing Jews.... Its like they say in the legal profession: a bad settlement is better than a good trial. That is not to say that you should never go to trial. There is no good war, but there are justified wars. There was no peace in Iraq just as there was no peace in pre-WWII Germany.

All of this is just IMHO.

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 07:35 PM

Quote:

This is getting way to deep for a Wednesday afternoon.

Maybe we need a Deep Wednesday to complement our Friday Frivolity.
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 07:58 PM

How about a Fat Tuesday instead?

I thank God every day that I live in a country that allows me to express my opinion about the way things are done. I just wish people (and I'm targeting war protesters in particular from my soapbox) would realize that while they have the right to free speech, everyone else in the country has the same right - and we can choose to disagree with them!

On that note - if someone in the public eye (actors, musicians, etc.) chooses to use their public position to tell me what their political views are, they shouldn't be offended and whine when I choose to disagree with them publicly, and when I choose to prove my disagreement by not going to their movies, and refusing to buy their records or listen to radio stations that play their music!

That also works both ways. I shouldn't expect my local movie theater or record store to pull the product off their shelves just because I don't like the artist's political views. If one of us is free and has rights - then we all should!

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 08:05 PM

That's exactly right, Lestie. I work at a bank, and I have to be careful what I say. I might have to suffer certain consequences if I'm not careful. It's the same with artists, actors and other entertainers. They entertain for a living....in the public eye. They must watch what they say or be prepared to suffer the consequences. For me, it might be a repremand, a demotion or a pink slip. For them, it might be lost revenue due to boycott. Yep....freedom of speech IF you're prepared to deal with what might follow!!
Posted By: Go Royals

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/25/03 08:21 PM

Quote:

On that note - if someone in the public eye (actors, musicians, etc.) chooses to use their public position to tell me what their political views are, they shouldn't be offended and whine when I choose to disagree with them publicly, and when I choose to prove my disagreement by not going to their movies, and refusing to buy their records or listen to radio stations that play their music!

You wouldn't specifically be refering to a certain female lead singer from your home state would you

I agree totally with your whole sentiment it always amazes me how many celebrities seem to think that their artistic talents elevate them to the status of statesmen/women whose opinions should be given the same esteem as political leaders. Most of these entertainers are not college graduates and those that are do not have a degree anywhere near the background to support those opinions.

That said I'm proud of our fighting men and women who put their lives on the line to make gaurantee the rights of everyone in this nation to say what they want no matter how idiotic they may sound.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Salute to our troops - 06/26/03 08:22 PM

Totally awesome
I shared it with all my friends
Thank you for sharing!