Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books

Posted By: Kansayaku

Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 07:40 PM

Read any good books lately?

I have started this thread to bring the Harry Potter discussion into the watercooler area. If you have read any of these books or other books that interest you, please feel free to sound off here.
Posted By: gone

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 07:47 PM

Now this is my kind of thread!
It took me exactly 10 hours to read Order of the Phoenix (not all in one stretch ).
Besides that I just finished reading The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Licoln Child. I need to find another good book to read. Any suggestions? I like mystery, crime, and classic literature.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 07:57 PM

Not a Harry Potter fan at all, but I love books - try to read a few a week. Most of the time, I cam't remember the names or plots a day after, but I do remember that I was not crazy about The Lake House (Patterson's new one - it is a sequel to an older book of his) or Lisa Scottoline's new one, Dead Ringer, but I really, really enjoyed a recent book called Sons of Fortune by Jeffrey Archer.
Posted By: EllenA

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 07:58 PM

I just can't get myself to start on Harry Potter, maybe I don't want to work that hard to get involved. Seems like you get caught up in a whole new world. The most involved I am is in the "The Cat Who" series. Very, very light reading. I also started to read the Mitford Series and it's the same vein of light reading. I really like bio's and am now reading "An Ancedotal Life" by Carl Reiner and sometimes actually laugh out loud. Favorite fantasy book -- Archangel, favorite factual book -- All's Fair.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:06 PM

"Life of Pi"
Posted By: Countess Kiwi

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:09 PM

I enjoy "The Cat Who" series as well as it is light reading and I found the Mitford series very good as well.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:09 PM

Obviously, I have read the entire released Harry Potter series. I also read Grisham, Rice, King, and Oke. Other than that I have all the Little House books and have started on the Cat Who series.

I have always loved classic lit. (I think I was the only one in my sixth grade class to do reports over the likes of Shakespeare and Emily and Charlotte Bronte. )

Basically, I love reading and will read just about anything.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:14 PM

Same here. I did reports on Ayn Rand and would recite Langston Hughes by heart. I was wondering about the Cat Who series. I think I'll start on those. I get a little leary about newer literature and always fall back on Gone with the Wind, Moby Dick, and Frankenstein. I've read them so many times I have lost count.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:21 PM

Quote:

I get a little leary about newer literature and always fall back on Gone with the Wind, Moby Dick, and Frankenstein. I've read them so many times I have lost count.

I am currently on my second copy of GWTW. My first fell apart. Poe is a good one to fall back on as well.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:22 PM

What about Shogun, Taipan, Noble House....etc. I started reading these classics when I was still in grammer school. I think my original reason was because they were so long (I was glad to see Order of the Phoenix was 870 pages ) but have since reread them all because they were great!! Hey how about Patricia Cornwell...muder, mystery, and you can devour one in a day!!
Posted By: GreatBlue

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:22 PM

I love the Harry Potter books. I have the Order of the Phoenix sitting on my table at home, but I haven't started it yet. I'm letting the anticipation build.

I love to read too. I just finished Les Miserables, which was a wonderful book. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though at least 500 of the 1259 pages were beyond me. I just don't know my French history well enough.

I generally enjoy Jeffrey Archer, Maeve Binchy, Grisham, and one of my favorites is Dick Francis. I read a couple of the Cat Who series but never really got into them.

My real love is children's books. Probably one reason I love the Potter books so much. I have the Little House books, the Anne of Green Gables books, the Chronicles of Narnia, and several other series you've probably never heard of. I usually re-read them about every 6-8 years.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:26 PM

I really like Nelson DeMille - Dirk Pitt adventures! Also, Robert North Patterson & Scott Turow - not many legal thrillers I don't enjoy - John Lescroait (spelling is worng I know) is very good also.
Posted By: Alien

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:27 PM

Ann Coulter's Treason is a good book for "socio-political" junkies!
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:27 PM

The Art of Deception - good car book
Anything by David Baldacci - Absolute Power, The Simple Truth, The Winner, Total Control

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:28 PM

Quote:

My real love is children's books. Probably one reason I love the Potter books so much. I have the Little House books, the Anne of Green Gables books, the Chronicles of Narnia, and several other series you've probably never heard of. I usually re-read them about every 6-8 years.

I have bought all of those and many more for my daughter. One thing I know I have passed to her is an undying love for literature. The first store she heads for in the mall is the book store.
Posted By: EllenA

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:32 PM

As for Literature -- I have read everything F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote. Short stories, novels, letters. Read Zelda's works also. I read all the bios on them also. My favorite short story is "Bernice Bobs Her Hair". The last bios I read about them was "Sometimes in Madness is Wisdom, a Marriage" and "Zelda, Her Voice in Paradise"
Posted By: Walleye Woman

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:33 PM

For light reading and great humor - the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I'm currently reading Nora Roberts but I will read about anything. Stephen Ambrose and Ken Follett(sp?) are other authors I like.

Loved the Harry Potter series, I've yet to get my hands on the newest one.
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:37 PM

Confederacy of Dunces

Holes

The Space Trilogy - C.S. Lewis's science fiction trilogy is brilliant--I have heard rumblings of bringing it to the big screen (technology will now allow them to recreate the worlds).

Anything by Charles Dickens

Anything by Jonathan Edwards or Brenning Manning.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:38 PM

OOTP is great. Since there are some of you out there who have not yet read it but plan to, I'll try not to go into any details within this thread. If we need to, we can always make a Harry Potter Spoiler thread.

Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:39 PM

I've read all the Harry Potter books and then again out loud to my children. My 5 year old son want to play Quidditch more than anything. I also re-read the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy after the movies came out.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:45 PM

The audio version is a good investment as well. They are great for car trips and flights as well as just being able to share the stories together much like was once done with radio shows.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:46 PM

My husband just bought them all at once on CD (OUCH!), but it does intertain the kids during road trips.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:49 PM

Quote:

all at once on CD (OUCH!)

That had to be around 200 American Dollars minimum. Big Ouch!

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:50 PM

Quote:

The Art of Deception - good car book
Anything by David Baldacci - Absolute Power, The Simple Truth, The Winner, Total Control

I am also a huge fan of David Baldacci as well Soccer Mom!
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:51 PM

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain. I may never eat out again. Actually, I found it funny and entertaining.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:52 PM

That's about right! Somehow I refrained from bodily harm, but he will be reminded of that little splurge the next time I go shopping!

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:53 PM

I am thinking about buying the book on CD. I remember when my mom would throw a bunch of pillows and blankets on the floor, turn off the lights and turn on The Shadow. We'd lay there on our backs staring straight up, imaging what was happening. Those were good memories. She'd also have each of us (my brother and sisters) write book reports during the summer. My husband thinks that's a little extreme, but we all love to read. It was always a contest who read the most books that summer. Wonderful, wonderful memories.
My 7 yr old daughter has started to read the Harry Potter books. She has read all the Junie B Jones books at least twice each and is trying to teach her 3 yr old brother to read.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:54 PM

When you consider what you are getting though, it isn't really all that bad. OOTP unabridged is 23 disks alone.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 08:56 PM

I think that was one of the comments he made when I was screaming, "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH?"

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 09:04 PM

Quote:

My 7 yr old daughter has started to read the Harry Potter books. She has read all the Junie B Jones books at least twice each and is trying to teach her 3 yr old brother to read.

A bit of caution, avoid the Shakespeare for Children books. They severely butcher beautiful stories.

My daughter is eight. She went through the Junie B books a while back. And then there are Baby Sitters Club, American Girls, etc. If you haven't tried them yet, the Magic Treehouse books are great for kids around that age.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 09:08 PM

Thanks! I'll look into those.
She is starting the Barnes and Noble summer treasure hunt. Kids in grades 1-6 read 8 books, fill out a journal (given by B&N, one page) and get a free book when done. They can do this twice.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 09:11 PM

I love historical fiction. John Jakes is a favorite - I've read almost everything he wrote. Another favorite is James Michener. I've also read almost everything written by Jeffrey Archer. I really enjoyed Tom Clancey up until his most recent couple of books, which I thought were duds. Michael Crichton is a good read.

Recent books that I've read and liked include:
  • The Blue Nowhere (great book on hacking/computer role-playing games) by Jeffrey Deaver
  • Carter Beats the Devil (nice historical/mystery novel set in the world of performance magic in the early 20th century) by Glen David Gold
  • Left Behind series (I have the latest one - Armageddon, but haven't read it yet) by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins
  • Eli and Blood of Heaven, both by Bill Myers

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 09:15 PM

Quote:

the Magic Treehouse books are great for kids around that age.

I'll have to look into them as well. My 8 year old daughter is participating in an activity at the local library. They read four hours (they're given a log to be signed by a parent), complete an activity (from a list provided by the library) and they get to choose a prize from the "treasure chest".

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 09:33 PM

Quote:

I have bought all of those and many more for my daughter. One thing I know I have passed to her is an undying love for literature. The first store she heads for in the mall is the book store.

Here's a couple more suggestions of great children's books:

The Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace. Stories set at the turn of the century (19th to 20th) based on the author's real life experiences growing up. They are my absolute favorites. They start when the girls are 5 and continue until Betsy gets married.

The Beany Malone series by Laura Mattingly Weber and the Katie Rose and Stacey Bedford series by the same author. They are coming of age stories set (and written) in the 1950's and 60's.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 06/30/03 11:24 PM

Seabiscuit - by Laura Hillenbrand

It's a true story. And the story about the author is as fascinating as the book!
Posted By: Ann

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 02:12 AM

Quote:

I love to read too. I just finished Les Miserables, which was a wonderful book. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though at least 500 of the 1259 pages were beyond me. I just don't know my French history well enough.

Love Les Mis! ! I suggest the Cliff's Notes version, though - read them on the way to London before catching the play at The Palace Theater two summers ago. Who has time to read?? Lately, my summer reads by the pool have been People Magazine or the latest regulatory reading material.
Posted By: BBoyd

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 02:24 AM

Amen to the Mitford series of books - I have them all in hard cover and have loaned (read: "re-purchased" because the borrower likes it so much they pass it on) at least 5 of Vol. 1 in paperback. I've never enjoyed re-reading a series of books like I have these; they never get old!

Randy Alcorn: Safely Home, Deadline are both excellent and gripping stories (If you enjoyed The Screwtape Letters, read his Lord Foulgrin Letters and the Ishbane Conspiracy - quite comparable)

T. Davis Bunn: Winner Takes All, The Presence (he writes similar to Grisham, and his historical facts are fascinating)

Don't know if any of you have found the Janet Evanovich mysteries with her main character, Stephanie Plum. The language is very R-rated, but the writing is terrific and the story lines hysterical. They keep you guessing - and laughing outloud - throughout.

And of course, the classics: Wuthering Heights, To Kill a Mockingbird, GWTW and any Michener.....
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 12:42 PM

I started Trollope's The Eustace Diamonds last weekend. It's a great "pool" book!

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 01:20 PM

Quote:

Seabiscuit - by Laura Hillenbrand

It's a true story. And the story about the author is as fascinating as the book!

Are you looking forward to the movie coming out, Bonnie?

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 02:26 PM

Quote:

Amen to the Mitford series of books -

Who wrote the Mitford books?

This is very cool! Now I have a whole list of books to check out. I have to go to the library today anyway to return Les Mis. I think I'll pick up Seabiscuit while I'm there.
Posted By: Countess Kiwi

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 02:51 PM

Jan Karon wrote the Mitford series.
Posted By: starfish

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 03:15 PM

The new Janet Evanovich book is coming out on July 15th ("To The Nines")and should be great! Also, "The Devil Wears Prada" currently on the fiction best-seller list is great!
Posted By: NotALawyer

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 03:20 PM

I found a couple of "Best 100" lists last year and started at the top. Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead...but then Robert Jordan came out with his latest of his Wheel of Time series (book 10 I think) so I started that series again to catch up. On book 6 now. When I'm done with these, I want to go through the Potter series again to catch up before reading OOTP, then I'll get back to the list...Battlefiled Earth, The Lord of the Rings, To Kill a Mockinbird, 1984...

This is going to be a good year!

Did I mention? I'm doing it all on book on tape from the local library. Commute to work is only an hour or so round trip, plus part of lunch (on good days), so the books go pretty quickly. Some of the readers are great! Gives me time with the little ones (5 with another in November) and the wife when the kids are in bed.
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 03:27 PM

Battlefield Earth? Never realized it was that highly regarded. But does any money from purchases go to L. Ron's Scientology group? If so, I won't even borrow it. I'm not even sure I can separate the two (Scientology and the book) to read it.
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 03:55 PM

I would heartily and unequivocably recommend J.R.R. Tolkien's writings to anyone: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion. As good as the first two installments of LOTR are, the books are far, far better.

If you like works of imaginative fiction, Frank Herbert's Dune series and Isaac Asimov's Foundation series are also good.

As for modern novelists, I recommend Peter DeVries (if you can find any of his novels anymore), Chaim Potok, and John Irving.

And as for the classics of literature, well, don't get me started. I'll have to go home and simply list my library!

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 04:00 PM

And don't forget historical biographies! My current "lunch" book is Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette, it's a wonderful read.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 04:08 PM

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks - a wonderful love story. Reach for the kleenex when reading this one.

Anything by Richard Paul Evans - his writing is so elegant and romantic. Clean stories for those who prefer this type.

A book I could not put down is Lovely Bones. I thought I would not like it but I did. It was a gift. Good story about death and heaven and leaving those you love behind.
Posted By: JulesB

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 04:15 PM

I just finished reading the first four books and am waiting for my daughter to finish the 5th book to read it.

I also enjoy anything by Jane Austen - and the series by Stephanie Barron that uses Jane as the main character in a mystery story.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 05:02 PM

Quote:

Are you looking forward to the movie coming out, Bonnie?

Yes! I'm in it, so y'all have to go see it.

(okay..okay, so I'm a crowd extra, but still!)
Posted By: Bucko

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 05:35 PM

Quote:

I also enjoy anything by Jane Austen

I'm trying to read Pride & Prejudice now, and am having problems getting into it. Please tell me it gets better.??? I usually read Grisham, Koontz, Higgins-Clark, etc, so I'm trying to broaden my horizons. But so far, it's slow-going.
Posted By: Strout

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 06:39 PM

MagicBanker, I too love John Jakes & James Michner. The first "grown up" book I read was The Bastard and it got me hooked.

My son swears by the Redwall books. (That's what I'll move onto after HP.) I am getting the Harry Potter this weekend & will probably have it finished in a day. I read anything I get my hands on but mostly fluff. Nora Roberts, Linda Howard, etc. (I have to think to much at work.)

A new author I've discovered is Susan Brockman. She writes mystery, intrigue, etc. and her stories span over the books. Great series!!!

I have a few friends and between yard sales, library sales & the thrift market we keep each other in books.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 06:42 PM

Ok Bucko! (I just had to say that) It does get better and then for your extra credit, you can read Persuasion by Jane Austen as well.
Posted By: Jay Bruce

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 06:45 PM

Quote:

I would heartily and unequivocably recommend J.R.R. Tolkien's writings to anyone: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion. As good as the first two installments of LOTR are, the books are far, far better.

I just finished the Lord of the Rings trilogy (for the first time), and would echo the endorsement...waiting eagerly now for The Return of the King movie. John Bunyan's puritan classic Pilgrim's Progress (written by him in an English prison) is, perhaps, my favorite. Here's his opening paragraph:

As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where there was a den; and I laid down in that place to sleep: and as I slept, I dreamed a dream. I dreamed, and, behold, I saw a man dressed in rags, standing with his face from his own house, a book in his hand, and a great burden on his back. I looked, and saw him open the book; and as he read, he wept and trembled; then he broke out with a lamentable cry, saying, “What shall I do?”
Posted By: Bucko

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 07:14 PM

Quote:

Ok Bucko! (I just had to say that) It does get better and then for your extra credit, you can read Persuasion by Jane Austen as well.

Alright, Maria (you little devil)...I'll keep reading.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 07:17 PM

Alright, Maria (you little devil)...I'll keep reading.

Gee, I wish BOL could make an "evil" emoticon!

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 08:03 PM

You mean like this:

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 08:06 PM

I love it Magic Banker.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 08:07 PM

You are "Magic"!

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 08:27 PM

Quote:

My brother read these to me when I was very young. I now have a set of my very own and will treasure them but the memories of his reading them to me are far more valuable and will be with me forever.
Posted By: Kara S

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books *DELETED* - 07/01/03 09:28 PM

Post deleted by Slammin' Spiker
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 11:21 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to read Pride & Prejudice now, and am having problems getting into it

That's actually a line from the movie "You've got mail".

Watch the movie (get an old version) then read the books. It all makes perfect sense then and you won't get lost in the whithers and thithers and where for art thou's

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/01/03 11:30 PM

I also read the new Harry Potter in less than 2 days. I love the writers mind. I wish I could write like that.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/02/03 12:08 AM

Ira Levin - This Perfect Day

Written in the late 1950's I believe. Remember that if you read the book and get to the parts about bar codes and scanners and a computer that tracks them all.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/02/03 12:12 PM

Quote:

You mean like this:

Yeah Magic, that's exactly the one I would like!

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/02/03 04:01 PM

Quote:

I also read the new Harry Potter in less than 2 days. I love the writers mind. I wish I could write like that.

Did you know that she considered breaking her arm so she could stop writing? I love writing but would never do so if I felt that type of pressure.

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 08:06 PM

If you could have only one single book, other than a Bible, to read as often as you like what would it be?

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 08:15 PM

Siddharta by Herman Hesse
(I lent out my copy and have not got it back )
Posted By: Brandy Osborne

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 08:30 PM

Dune... unless you'd let me have all the harry potter books in one bound copy or lord of the rings
Posted By: Alien

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 08:35 PM

Quote:

(I lent out my copy and have not got it back )

Now where have I heard that before?

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 08:44 PM

Quote:

Dune... unless you'd let me have all the harry potter books in one bound copy or lord of the rings

I have LOTR in one BIG book. My husband is reading it.
I would go for the HP series in one bound copy as well. It would be one huge book!
Posted By: JacF

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 08:44 PM

Quote:

If you could have only one single book, other than a Bible, to read as often as you like what would it be?

God's Debris by Scott Adams

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 08:58 PM

It would be a tossup between C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity and Oswald Chambers - My Utmost for His Highest.
Posted By: JacF

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 09:04 PM

Magic-
Speaking of CS Lewis- Have you ever read the Screwtape Letters? If so, what are your thoughts?

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/11/03 11:36 PM

I have read The Screwtape Letters - I really like it.
Posted By: Bartman

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/12/03 01:14 PM

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller.
Posted By: BettyBoop

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/12/03 03:21 PM

Not a big reader, but I have read some books.
I am more a visual effects person. I Love movies and have seen the Harry Potters and enjoy them. Looking forward to the next in the series. Also enjoy the Lord of the Rings series.
I love them all (books and movies) from the classics to the most recent Sci-Fi or epic films and everything in between.
Posted By: BettyBoop

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/12/03 03:26 PM

Great movie, and I've only seen it once, and have never read the story, was "Hamlet" with Mel Gibson and Glen Close.
Excellent version of the story, very well acted.
Posted By: juliad

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/15/03 04:39 PM

Quote:

The Stand by Stephen King. I've read the unabridged (sp?) version 3 times, and have seen the made for tv movie more times than I can count. Great story!

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/15/03 04:43 PM

Quote:

The Stand by Stephen King. I've read the unabridged (sp?) version 3 times, and have seen the made for tv movie more times than I can count. Great story!

What did you think of Silver Bullet? (Movie based on The Cycle of the Werewolf)

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/15/03 05:04 PM

Quote:

The Norton Anthology of World Lit.-because by the time I finish it and start from the beginning again, I'll will have learned something new from each author.
Posted By: juliad

Re: Harry Potter and Other Interesting Books - 07/15/03 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What did you think of Silver Bullet? (Movie based on The Cycle of the Werewolf)

I though the movie was pretty good, although I haven't seen it in years. I might think differently now. I haven't read the book - yet. I recently set a goal for myself to read all of his works. I'm off to a good start, but I have a loooooong way to go. Right now, I'm absorbed in the Gunslinger series.