Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter

Posted By: Anonymoose

Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 06/30/03 09:06 PM

*****W*A*R*N*I*N*G****

If you read the below posts, the latest Harry Potter book (and maybe the ones before it) will be spoiled for you...

OK, they have been warned, now discuss the new book in detail....
Posted By: gone

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 06/30/03 09:17 PM

Have you read OOTP Anonymouse?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 06/30/03 09:34 PM

It's AnonyMOOSE and no, I have not read any of the books, I just am a benevolent moose who wanted you Potterheads to have a place to discuss the nuances of warlocks and such. Personally, I prefer pulp fiction.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 06/30/03 09:41 PM

I am so sorry, AnonyMOOSE. I truly am. I forgot to preview my post.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 06/30/03 10:02 PM

Just watch it. Don't get on the Moose's bad side or he'll pull a lion from his hat. (Now, wouldn't I be a perfect student for Hogwarts? Do they admit Moose?)
Posted By: LCM

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 07/01/03 12:53 PM

I have read OOTP. It was worth the wait. It had a much darker, grumpier tone than the other books. There was much more bickering and angst among the characters. Even the weather was bad throughout most of Harry's adventures this time!
Posted By: Kansayaku

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/01/03 08:14 PM

Quote:

I have read OOTP. It was worth the wait. It had a much darker, grumpier tone than the other books. There was much more bickering and angst among the characters. Even the weather was bad throughout most of Harry's adventures this time!

JK warned that it would be a much darker story. Did you hear the responses from the kids in the UK? They were none to happy with the death of Sirius or the fact that JK hinted to them that Harry may not survive the seventh book.

But, how could she not hint at that. After the prophecy was unveiled making the battle to the death between Harry and Voldemort obvious, to say that he will live to a ripe old age is to give away the ending, is it not? Yet it could also be that Neville was the true predestined one, though Voldemort chose Harry, leading to the possibility that Neville will play a bigger role yet in the future books.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/01/03 08:49 PM

I think so too. Neville already played a much bigger role in this book. What's your take on Luna Lovegood?
I cried from the moment Sirus died (my husband says I'm too sensitive) until the end of the book. My sister and I (finished it two hours apart from each other) had a loooong conversation about the book afterwards. We are wiating for my mom and other sister to finish it.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/02/03 01:47 PM

I'm thinking Neville is the "one", or at least it will take Harry and Neville to bring Voldemort down. I think Fred and George are great! I'm glad they have a higher profile in this book.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/02/03 02:14 PM

I love Fred & George. I'm also really glad that they will have plenty of chances to be in the other two books with their shop being so close.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/02/03 02:19 PM

Quote:

What's your take on Luna Lovegood?

Smitten Kitten?
Posted By: Brandy Osborne

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/02/03 06:03 PM

i think that Luna will have an interesting place in the up coming books... she is one of the only people that has validated harry's extra sensory knowledge. don't know that see her as "smitten" with him though... but who knows. i was quite pleased and suprised by the 5th book. read it WAY too fast and now i have to wait lord only knows how long until the next is done.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 12:56 AM

She is definately after Ron. But he has eyes for Hermione. A bit jealous, huh? I read it too fast as well. I am going to re-read it, more slowly, since I am not as anxious to find out what happened!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 01:24 PM

Sorry, I meant she was smitten with Ron Weasley. I'm currently listening to it on CD. I enjoyed the read first, but this way I now get to listen to a guy altering his voice to represent the different characters. Very entertaining.

I wonder if Rupert is still concerned with the way things are going for Ron in terms of Hermione.
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 01:33 PM

Quote:

but this way I now get to listen to a guy altering his voice to represent the different characters. Very entertaining.

That must take a lot of talent. I've listened to other non-fiction books on tapes before and have often been impressed with the readers ability to change his/her voice to different characters. I understand that the Harry Potter book has LOTS of characters and LOTS of voices for the reader to perform.
Posted By: Neytiri

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 07/03/03 01:42 PM

I agree with LCM - Neville is going to play a big part in upcoming books and may be "the one" instead of Harry. He really matured in his magical powers in this book. It will be really interesting to see what they put in the movie of this book and leave out since J. K. Rowling said on CD#2 of "The Chamber of Secrets" that she advises what to put in the movies and what to leave out since some info is criticial to future books.

I can't believe how obsessed I am about these books; it is as bad as TLOTR series. Can't wait until TTT comes out in 4 DVD set in December. To say nothing of "The Return of the King" movie too.
Posted By: JeloQuen

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 07/03/03 02:29 PM

I totally agree with you. I never intended to get so wrapped up in it. Bought the first book for my step-son for xmas. But when my daughter teased him so much, he wouldn't read it. So I decided what the heck, and read it myself! Well, it was all over from there.

And I also wonder what in the world will be left out of the coming movies. Each book seems to be longer than the previous one. They will need to start having intermissions.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 03:11 PM

Quote:

I understand that the Harry Potter book has LOTS of characters and LOTS of voices for the reader to perform.

True, these books do have a great deal of characters but many of them would rarely be speaking.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 03:14 PM

A couple of questions for discussion:

1) What type of role, if any, do you think that Dumbledore's Army will play in the remaining books?

2) Do you think that the next Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor will last more than one year?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 03:18 PM

Quote:

1) What type of role, if any, do you think that Dumbledore's Army will play in the remaining books?

2) Do you think that the next Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor will last more than one year?

1) I'm not sure what role The DA will play, but I think Luna will be an instrumental part.
2) Snape is going to have to get the job eventually, but whoever it is, I think it will remain a revolving-door position.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 03:22 PM

I'm still holding out hope for a return of Lupin. Since a centaur is now teaching and we still have Hagrid, why shouldn't the werewolf be allowed to return. Yes I know he resigned, but in light of the situation involving Harry and the obvious need for internal protection at the school . . .

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 03:30 PM

I think the DA will be huge, I have a feeling that the battle will come to Hogwarts and the students will be the ones fighting as their parents did. I don't think Neville is "the one" but I do think he will become a very strong wizard, not only to vindicate his parents but show his grandmother how good he is .
I think Snape will take over though it'd be really nice to see Lupin back. And in a "happy world" ending I think Harry would end up teaching it. By the way who thinks Harry, Ron, hermione and neville will make it out alive in the end?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 03:33 PM

I like Lupin too. I think with Lord Voldemort's return finally being accepted by the Ministry of Magic and also as you have mentioned, the centaur teaching Divination, there is a better than good chance for Lupin to return.
I also think that there is more to Luna. She can see things that others can't, and lets face it, the ones that are not readily accepted by the mainstream group have come to show their inner strength.
Neville-overcoming the trauma from his parent's attacks and learning to defend himself and those he cherishes
Ron-youngest brother of a finanicially struggling wizarding family, always feeling like he is in someone else's shadows--wins the Quidditch Cup
Harry-treated as an outcast by his muggle relations, heralded as a fraud by the Daily Prophet--redeemed when the truth is finally out and accepted
Hermione-thought of as too serious, not pretty, bossy-helps save the day by her intelligence and has a famous Quidditch player (not to mention Ron as well) that likes her for her
The list can go on and on... Hagrid, Lupin, Sirus , Snape, .....
So, what's your feelings on Percy?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 03:39 PM

I wasn't suprised by Percy's actions but i'd love to see what he does now that the minisrty has been proven a fool for the past year... i think he's a sad character really... i mean look how much fun the twins have. I loved when they left Hogwarts, i laughed so hard.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 03:42 PM

I've never thought highly of Percy. I actually expected the parting of ways with his family that was shown in this book. I'm not sure if he will stand up and admit that he was wrong and that his parents were right. It's not really in his nature. I do think that he would be an easy target for Voldemort to control however.

I too think that Luna will fit in well with the others. I almost want to see her and Neville get together. It would make a cute pairing. I was also glad that Neville is developing into a much better wizard (in stardards of Neville, that is) with the help of his friends. I don't feel that it is actually a lack of talent but more a lack of confidence.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 05:38 PM

Ok another question. If you were able to remove memories or store them to look back upon or retrieve later, why would you ever replace the sad or painful memories? Obviously, some could be learning experiences but why keep them?

I mean let's be realistic for a minute, if Snape was so upset by the treatment he received from James and Sirius when they were younger, why would he choose to keep the memories at all? (Granted, it creates an understanding for Harry to see the memory and realize that his father may have well been named Malfoy rather than Potter.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 05:52 PM

Maybe it's one of those 'so traumatic, I can't get over it, let alone forget it' type of memories? (fishing here)
I agree it did help us understand Snape's hatred for James and how that trangresses unto Harry.

I agree, Percy is a weasel, and very susceptible to Voldemort.
I too, liked Fred and George's exit of Hogwarts.
I found these OOTP quizzes yesterday. Check them out.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 06:17 PM

Pretty Good. You might also want to look at these assorted Harry Potter Quizzes. Quizzes

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 07:56 PM

Quote:

Don't get on the Moose's bad side or he'll pull a lion from his hat.

We have the appropriate house.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter - 07/03/03 07:56 PM

J. K. Rowling said in an interview recently that she may not let Harry survive to the end.

I gues this is one thing that makes these books so engrossing - you never know what will happen next. But I cannnot imagine killing off your main character. But why would she hint at this? She doesn't need to drum up more interest for goodness sake! She has enough money.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/03/03 07:59 PM

Quote:

But why would she hint at this?

With the prophecy being revealed, the only way to avoid giving away the ending was to make the statement that she did. If she said that Harry would survive, that would lead to the conclusion that Voldemort would be defeated. If she said Harry would die, Voldemort would win. This keeps all possibilities open.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/07/03 06:52 PM

What will happen to the House of Black now that Sirius is gone?

Will the vile little house elf remain in the house or will he leave seeing that he no longer has a family to serve?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/07/03 07:44 PM

I would assume that the house will go to Harry, and that Kreature is free. Kreature being freed could cause some problems for the Order in the next book. He isn't bound to silence any more.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/07/03 08:06 PM

What about Tonks? She is Sirius' cousin. I was thinking the house would go to her as she is the next living relative aside from Narcissa Mafloy. Kreacher will probably has to answer to her (Tonks), which is funny, since he completely ignores anything she says. Or then again, maybe his dream of being a stuffed head in the hall will come true. What a sorid little creature he is.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/07/03 09:16 PM

Let's see how good of a godfather Sirius really was. I do hope that he left everything to Harry. To give the house to Tonks would be ok, but not the Malfoys, but then that would create many problems for the order now wouldn't it?

I don't know about the house elf heads on the wall. Kind of creepy. Why would they not have removed them anyway? The house looked as though it were inhabited by the darkest of wizards. You would think that during the cleaning of the house, they would have disposed of most of that stuff. I certainly would have.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 12:58 PM

I can only imagine the fit Hermione would have if the house and elf went to Harry... She'd make Harry pay him or something I have to say that I was very surprised by the connections between Sirus and the Death Eaters. No wonder everyone suspected him before. Intersting too that when he was at school he was in Gryffindor, while almost all his cousins would have been in Slytherin.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 01:06 PM

Quote:

I can only imagine the fit Hermione would have if the house and elf went to Harry... She'd make Harry pay him or something I have to say that I was very surprised by the connections between Sirus and the Death Eaters. No wonder everyone suspected him before. Intersting too that when he was at school he was in Gryffindor, while almost all his cousins would have been in Slytherin.

Just proves that Dumbledore was right in telling Harry that it is the choices that are made that determine the type of wizard (good or bad)and the house to which they are assigned. I wonder what the going rate for a house elf would be today in London.
Posted By: Michelle III

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 03:31 PM

OK here are my questions:
1. I figure that Ron and Hermione will get together in the end. But do you think Harry and Ginny will end up together?

2. If Harry lives in the last book, what will he do as a job? I think Harry will replace Dumbledore as headmaster of the school in the final book.

3. Do you thing Snape will teach DADA in the 7th book?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 03:41 PM

Quote:

OK here are my questions:
1. I figure that Ron and Hermione will get together in the end. But do you think Harry and Ginny will end up together?

2. If Harry lives in the last book, what will he do as a job? I think Harry will replace Dumbledore as headmaster of the school in the final book.

3. Do you thing Snape will teach DADA in the 7th book?

1. I hope not. They are beginning to become too much like brother and sister.

2. Harry wants to become an auror. Let's see how he did on his O.W.L.s to find out if it is a possibility. He could also take over as the minister of magic, you know they need a new one.

3. I'm really not sure that Snape will survive that long. How can he spy on Voldemort anyway? Did Voldemort not inhabit the body of Quirrel during the first book? I would really prefer to see him live but would prefer to see Lupin teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts instead.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 03:41 PM

O'kay, here are my opinions:
1. I think Harry and Ginny will get together. At least I am hoping. She is so spirited, and then Ron and Harry can be related by marriage! (My sister and I married best friends, its really cool 'cause they are like brothers and we always have alot of fun together::not Harry Potter related info:: I tend to ramble )

2. Maybe Harry will be the DADA teacher? I mean, he already is 'teaching' a group of students. I really want Lupin back at Hogwarts, though .

3. I don't see Snape becoming the DADA teacher. Wouldn't he be angry if Harry got his coveted job? Ouch .

Of course, everything above is pure speculation.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 03:43 PM

i could see Ron with Hermione, Neville with either Ginny or Luna... I don't see where harry's love life will end up. if he lives I can see him becoming the DDA teacher (for more than one year ), maybe dumbledore will take over for fudge... and prof mcgonagall will take over hogwarts... though somewhere deep down i think dumbledore will not live out these books...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 04:12 PM

Check out this editorial on Harry Potter and adult readers. I think it is very well written.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 05:20 PM

Also in the first book when Ron looked it the "Mirror" he saw himself as captin of the Quidditch team and Head boy. Looks like he's on his way!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 05:32 PM

I agree about Ron I have gone back and re-read 1-4 since reading 5 and there are soo many little points that are now obvious and "important clues" like in Azakban, Harry tells Dumbledore about Treadway's prediction during his final and Dumbledore says that brings her total number of true predictions to two... one simple line that now takes on a whole new meaning. especally given Dumbledore's explaination to Harry about why he never told him before about what was going on. also in goblet early on "moody" shows the class the "cruciatus curse" and neville's reaction. Though Harry finds out what happened to Neville's parents later on in the book... that moment when Neville is looking at the curse that "did in" his parents really hit me after "order".

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 05:39 PM

Quote:

...Harry tells Dumbledore about Treadway's prediction during his final and Dumbledore says that brings her total number of true predictions to two...

I think you meant " Prof. Trelawney". Treadway was the name of a small hotel in the town where I grew up. Funny to hear the name again.

I did the same thing. I reread 1-4 and WOW I really picked up on a lot of fortuitous statements. She is a gifted story teller.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 05:41 PM

i did... didn't have my book with me for proper spelling... hate having work get in the way.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 07:18 PM

Ok, I too have no book at my disposal currently so forgive the errors in spelling, etc.

What do you think future Hogsmeade visits will be like, and will Harry even be allowed to go?

Have we heard the last about Cho?

Will Harry have an enjoyable summer this time or will he once again be miserable?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 07:23 PM

Perhaps we should have a question of the day. That way we could thoroughly discuss a topic each day and by the time we get everything discussed we can start reading the next book.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 07:23 PM

I don't know about Hogsmead. Just because his God-father is dead doesn't mean his permission is revoked. But is Harry safe there?

I think Harry is done with Cho. Maybe he'll date Luna.

I think Harry will spend a lot of time with Mrs. Figg! and her cats over the summer.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/08/03 07:30 PM

Very interesting questions.
I think Harry will be allowed to go. He is getting older, and I think Dumbledore has realized not to shelter him so much. I mean, he was sneaking out at 13 to go, so why wouldn't he now?
I sure hope we have seen the last of her. She annoyed me.
And as far as his summer goes, that will be very interesting seeing as the Dursley's had a strict talking to.
I have been thinking about the 'house' in earlier discussions. We were talking about the 'Noble House of Black' aka The Order headquarters right? I mean, Sirius hated, despised, detested, the house. To me it would kinda be like inheriting number 4 Privet Drive. Not exactly my ideal of a good thing. What ever happened to the house Sirius' uncle left him? Now, if that one went to Harry, that would be cool.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 04:03 PM

I don't know what will happen with Harry and hogsmeade and stuff. i mean he has proven time and time again that he can take pretty good care of himself and all previous attempts at "protecting him" don't work . plus now that he knows what will eventually have to happen between him and Lord V, it might be silly to keep him locked away. i think life at 4 privet dr will be much better this summer and i think he'll have much more constant contact with the Order. i'm curious how harry's feeling of deep guilt about sirus' death will effect his ability to act in either offense or defense.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 04:34 PM

With all the things that he already has to live with, to add the death of Sirius to them seems unbearable. At least his parents dying to protect him was not actually his fault. Sirius had to die protecting Harry because Harry was tricked into thinking that he was saving Sirius. I also think that Harry may blame a great deal of it all on Dumbledore which could cause even greater turmoil in the coming books.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 04:44 PM

I am re-reading the book, a whole lot slower this time.
I do think that Dumbledore had fault, but many times, Harry could have gone to Dumbledore with what he was experiencing. Yes, he is a 15 year old, a teenager that has too much pride than to ask for help when he thinks no one (Dumbledore) understands him. I guess it is the classic adult/teenager conflict. The adult thinks the kid can't handle things, the teenager knows more than anybody else. He refused to set aside his differences and learn occulmency (sp?) from Snape, he was going to run away instead of asking for help after Mr. Weasley's attack, etc.
Also, I strongly feel that we have not heard the last of Sirius, although I do not have a theory yet what 'role' he will play in book 6.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 04:48 PM

You know I so agree about Sirus! We didn't see the body. Somehow they have freed him from hiding in that house with that elf and have given him freedom to move around. No one is going to be looking for a dead guy!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 05:05 PM

There are always photographs.

I didn't mean that I thought Dumbledore was entirely at fault. Sorry if that's how it sounded. I just think that Harry will blame him at least to an extent for not revealing the reason behind Dumbledore wanting the lessons with Snape in the first place. (Like if he had explained that Voldemort would be able to show him things that were not real in order to trick his mind, it might have helped.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 05:14 PM

Oh no, I didn't think you meant it that way. Sorry for my impression. I have read a couple of theories out on the internet and it's all starting to blur together.
I just think Harry should have said something to someone about how he felt whenever he was near or touched Dumbledore. I don't think the adults fully understood how far Voldemort had gotten.

Check this out. My sister had sent this to me and I suffer from many of these.

You're Too Big a Fan When...

You mutter nonsense latin words under your breath.

You call your least favorite teacher Snape.

Your computer says "You've Got Mail" and you run outside looking for an owl.

You get a broom for Christmas.

Every time you turn on a flashlight you mutter "lumos" under your breath.

You sort everyone you meet into four categories. (Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin.)

You were burned when you couldn't get through the flames of your fireplace.

You had to go to the hospital after you broke your nose running headfirst into the wall between platform's nine and ten.

You try to turn your brother into a bouncing ferret.

You point a normal things like parking meters and say "Look at the things these muggles dream up!"

You collect plugs.

You try on ever piece of silvery fabric your mom has to see if you turn invisible

Before getting up to get something, you always try to summon it first. Accio TV remote!

When it is windy you take a long branch up to a swaying tree and try to press a knot to freeze it

You try to install a flying device in your car

You spend hours tapping bricks in special orders hoping that a secret entrance to Diagon Alley will appear.

When playing chess, you yell orders to the chess players and get upset when they don't move

You poke pictures in the house hoping to make them move.

You try to find an article by Rita Skeeter in the newspaper.

You scream into the "tellyfone."

You go to antique stores searching for a clock that tells where people are.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 05:41 PM

Sad to say, but I have actually wondered which house I would be in. (Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 06:14 PM

hehehe i won't admit to which of those i might be guilty of... but man wouldn't the summoning charm be nice to have!
i've wondered what will happen with the whole veil thing anyway... luna talking about hearing the voices that harry heard too... we know whose voices he'd love to find a way to talk to.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 06:33 PM

I want to know more about the veil. She left it wide open with possibilities.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 06:34 PM

I've been sorted a couple of times (internet, Harry Potter Trivia Games) and its always Gryffindor. I'm very pleased with that.
The veil will come back in 6 as well. But what does it mean? Hmmmm. I need to find more clues in the book.

Here is an article that describes me:

Diagnosis: Potter withdrawal

by Linda G. Kincaid
Monday, July 7, 2003

What's sadder than an orphan boy marooned with relatives who despise him? More desperate than a Dark Lord who has lost all his powers? More ridiculous than a Blast-Ended Skrewt?

Try an adult suffering Post-Potter Depression.

You know who you are. You started counting the days the minute J.K. Rowling's publisher announced the release date for ``Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.'' You reread Book 4 (Oh, admit it: You reread them all) to prepare. You placed an overnight delivery order with amazon.com or, if you have kids for cover, went to a bookstore at midnight June 21 to get your copy ASAP.

You shunned family, friends and responsibility while you devoured the entire 870-page opus in five days, tops. And it was a terrific read, even though the experience was akin to swallowing an ice-cream cone whole.

But now . . . what?

Like a Martha Stewart wannabe who feels empty after pulling off the perfect Christmas, you're finding these post-``Phoenix'' days are a letdown. You're haunted by the knowledge that we waited three years for Book 5 to come out. How long until we get our next fix?

Most fellow sufferers I know have found that talking about the problem is the only way to cope. A friend at the office stops by my desk almost every day, and within minutes we're plumbing the mysteries of the magical world: How old is Dumbledore, anyway? Was James Potter really a teenage jerk?

Are younger readers suffering, too? I doubt it. Most kids who don't want to leave Hogwarts at the end of ``Phoenix'' will have no problem rereading the book the right way, or starting the whole Potter series again. But what grownup will do that when they ought to be reading a fluffy summer mystery, or ``The Dogs of Babel,'' or that new Ben Franklin biography?

Well, I know of at least one. Don't expect to hear anything more from me for at least, say, five days.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 06:47 PM

i concur! have we heard an mumblings if she's started work on book 6... i hope it's no three year wait again? there are so many questions i want answered! what did you think about the part with the veil when harry was standing on the dias and kinda felt a pull toward the veil?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/09/03 07:12 PM

Well, there hasn't been much said about book 6, except that she has started writting it.
Check out this thread from mugglenet.com that includes a transcript of the webcast with Jo.
Very interesting information. She describes Luna as the 'anti-Hermione', which is funny to me because Luna has a thing for Ron and Ron feels for Hermione.
The veil, the veil, the veil,.......
I'll be stuck on that one for a while.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 03:58 PM

O'kay, here's a start on the veil.
Doesn't the saying 'Beyond the veil' refer to near death experiences or conscious death?
It is apparent to me that Sirius was not afraid of death. Also Lupin seems to understand what the veil represented. I think that Lupin will shed some light on it in book 6. At least I am hoping.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 04:01 PM

Quote:

Sad to say, but I have actually wondered which house I would be in. (Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin.)

Funny thing is, in a way, I would rather be in Slytherin. I mean forget about the bad reputations and everything. I just would rather wear silver and green than red and gold. Personal preference of course. Other than that, Gryffindor would be a better fit for me.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 04:05 PM

I thought that the veil was the "shroud of death". (I probably massacred the spelling on that. ) It could create a way for Harry to converse with his dead parents and Sirius. I have a feeling we have not seen the last of it.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 04:07 PM

Quote:

I've been sorted a couple of times (internet, Harry Potter Trivia Games) and its always Gryffindor.

As have I with the same results. I did however go through and change my answers to the questions to determine which answers triggered the placement into each house.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 04:20 PM

Me too!
Of course, I sorted everyone, my kids, my husband, mom, dad, and sisters. For some reason, my sisters have stopped playing the trivia game with me. I keep winning. Now I have no one to play with ::sob sob::

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 04:34 PM

I would play it with you if I could Hermione.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 04:40 PM

Ahh, thanks! I feel so much better now!
You'll give me real tough competition too,

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 04:44 PM

i was sorted into Gryffindor, though the questions were leading and you could kinda pick where you wanted to go... In real life I think I'd end up in Ravenclaw.
About the veil... I think you guys are right on the money. Intersting that it was in the department of mysteries that no one supposed to know what goes on in and yet Lupin seemed to know excatly what happened and Dumbledore refered to that room by name, though lord help I can't remember what he called it right this second. and adding in what Nearly Headless Nick said about choosing to stay or going on... and that he knew Sirus wasn't coming back... maybe once you go through the veil you can't come back in specter form... but then there is the voice thing... maybe it's a holding cell for heaven. i guess all we can hope for is that she's writing very very fast

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 06:54 PM

Hey Hermione, someone seems to have transfigured you into a book.

Oh well, It's better than a bouncing ferret.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 07:20 PM

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 07:27 PM

I started wondering why Sirius had never married. Thought maybe it was because it would be hard for him to find a witch who wasn't dark to take on the Black family name and reputation. Then of course going to Azkaban didn't help in the hunt very much either.

Then I leapt to Lupin. I guess a werewolf isn't the ideal husband either.

Snape, let's not even go there.

But then I realized most of the characters in the book with the obvious exceptions of the parents aren't married.

Just a coincidence or from the fact that J.K. was herself unmarried at the time of the initial writing.

Yes, I know this is off the subject of the book itself but unfortunately my mind does this type of thing.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 07:34 PM

And they all seemed to have their kids at the same time, as the parents are all around the same age and so are the kids. Very cyclical.
Good points kansayaku.
I did some more searching on veils in general. One thesaurus has it as
n. a deceptive outward appearance: (syn) disguise, facade, false colors, guise, mask, masquerade, pretense, semblance, show, slang: put-on.
Hmmmmm ::my hamster has started running again::

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 08:04 PM

another thought: those that did marry seemed to marry only with in Hogwarts. maybe sirus never had a chance to fall in love... though from the "flashbacks" in the book seems like he was the cynical one already. but i agree that azkaban does put a cramp in one's style. and lupin... well unless he meets a lady werewolf i think he's out of luck... what about all the profs too... don't hear about any of them being married
so Hermione... with those thoughts on the veil what's your take?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/10/03 08:24 PM

Hmmm I'm still tweaking my theory of the veil. (I have a day job that gets in the way ) but, I am leaning towards an "its not really what it seems" hypothesis.
Now....
if only I can get my next class at the university to somehow let me analyze HP and get a grade on it...'heaven, I'm in heaven' (I've maxed out on lit classess ::pooh::)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 12:59 PM

yeah this whole day job thing can really be a pain but hey it pays the bills. though i graduated from the hallowed halls of college education a few years ago, i'd love to go back and heck by the time we're done in here we could teach a class on HP theory... oohhh that'd be cool!!!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 02:14 PM

Quote:

if only I can get my next class at the university to somehow let me analyze HP and get a grade on it...

My Lit TA did his thesis on Sesame Street.

I miss the college life. It's been far, far too long. (But then so has the past week.) I had thought about going back to school to get my teaching certification and will probably do so as soon as my daughter is able to stay home alone for longer periods of time. Hopefully I can teach business courses in a junior high or high school setting and teach Lit on the side.

Off subject again I know. I once had a Lit Prof that reminds me in many ways of Snape. She and I did not get along at all during the first semester but became very good friends during the second. Guess that's why I am still holding out hope for Snape.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 02:33 PM

off subject but brings us to a good discussion... what are the hopes for a happier , nicer snape? i think something huge will happen with he and Harry, perhaps Harry will save his life or something... but honestly I wonder how long Snape can live double crossing Lord V?
i do wonder if he has a forgiving bone in his body (Snape not Lord V)?
and P.S. if i could afford to go back to school. i'd be gone in a flash... i'd love to teach as well, though theater is my back ground i came to banking the round about way...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 03:01 PM

Well I'll have to pay back all these student's loans soon when I'm done.
Teaching has crossed my mind a lot lately. I would like to teach Literature or English for high school seniors or Philosophy at a college or university. Anywho...
About Snape:
When asked about Snape "We're slowly getting the idea that maybe he is not so bad after all."
JK replied "Yes, but you shouldn't think he's too nice. Let me just say that. It is worth keeping an eye on old Severus Snape."
And, did you notice that James kept refering to Snape as "Snivellus". What is up with that? Never in the memory was he referred to as Severus or Snape. ::another hmmm::

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 03:04 PM

I am actually hoping that Harry will end up saving Snape from Voldemort thus causing an even greater bond and conflict between the two.

As stated earlier, I am not sure how Voldemort doesn't know that Snape is no longer on his side.

As far as forgiveness and Snape are concerned, I wonder if we may be learning more about his past in the coming books to uncover other memories that may be causing his pain. From those stated in the last book, it appears that he was alone even without the torment of James and Sirius. There is definately a deeper issue there.

I loved Theatre in college as well. It helped that most of the studies and productions were of my liking as well.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 03:46 PM

I guess Snape has been real convincing to Voldemort so far.
Or, Voldemort suspects, but has found some sort of benefit from the 'information' Snape has or is privy to inside Hogwarts.
Snape is not as strong as he thinks he is. Harry was able to see Snape's thoughts during the Occulmency lessons, and that is without even trying. There lies a big chunk of Snape's resentment of Harry. Snape is intelligent, and a powerful wizard, but he had to work at it (kinda like Hermione hitting the books, but with a BAD attitude). However, Harry, doesn't really try, he is a natural.
Kinda made me think of a school situation whereas one younger student doesn't really study, listens so so in class and aces the test. Other older students, with their noses buried in the book, studying for the test from sun up to sun down, got like 70s-80s (or Poor instead of Outstanding on the O.W.L.S) and resented the younger student who was a natural. Go figure. Jealousy. Snape was jealous of the Marauders. He probably felt that he had surpassed his jealousy and was pretty successul, overcome those uhm, obstacles of the past, and was living a good (?) life. And now he has to face Harry, the boy who lived, the boy who is everything he was not. I think it is pure jealously.
Anyways, that's my 2 cents.
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 04:12 PM

Quote:

Teaching has crossed my mind a lot lately. I would like to teach Literature or English for high school seniors or Philosophy at a college or university.

Not to interrupt your HP discussion - but Hermione!!! Don't be saying such awful things!!! You're going to give me heart failure.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 04:24 PM

Quote:

London England. i went in college as a part of a theater class. it was amazing. still trying to find the money to go back again. too bad i didn't get the powerball!

If I had hit the powerball, I would have tried to buy the house that was used in the first movie as #4 Privet Drive. It's up for sale you know.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 04:29 PM

That's funny Lestie. I'm sure you have thought of alternate careers. I'm not saying it'll happen. But I dream. That's what I wanted to do before entering the realm of banking. I think where I am though is parallel to those 'dreams'. I get to train people, ethics and philosophy are important to community involvement "What is the right thing?" sort of thought pattern.
People have just been asking me alot lately what I would do if I wasn't in banking, seeing as I am close to graduating. The answer is always the same.
Sorry Lestie. I'm just gonna try and call you. ::ugh::

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 04:30 PM

it still amazes me how much space we as americans take for granted... even the nicest houses in London would be small by our tastes! but believe me if i hit the powerball, i've got my passport ready to go

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 04:39 PM

on the topic of Snape. we never hear anything about his family life or how he came to be a death eater to begin with. did he go willingly as a way to finally be "cool" and powerful or has he been "honest" all along (i mean dumbledore trusts him)? and i wonder why he was such a pitiful kid, i mean i don't think that the Mauraders created the monster that is snape, but they didn't help . i wonder about his background? is he pure blood or is he a mud blood who was mistreated by his family for his gifts, like harry and the dursley's but with out the bonus of being talented and famous and well liked. questions questions questions but sure makes the day more fun!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 04:47 PM

Considering how alone he seemed to be in the memory, I would venture that he joined with Voldemort to have a sense of belonging. I don't really know that he was aware of what the job entailed, but he wasn't forced to work with James now was he.

We have seen from Sirius that even in all wizarding families there is not always acceptance. Perhaps too, Snape, like Sirius, was raised to be a dark wizard and did not turn out as anticipated by his family. That could have lead him to join with Voldemort in order to appease parents who were unyeilding.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 05:03 PM

Good, good theories. I like them
There is a whole lot more to the Snape story, and hopefully it will be reveiled in book 6.
Accio book 6...
FYI::my highlighter does not make a good wand::

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 05:09 PM

You know, you can buy a wand if you really want one. However, I believe that the essence of phoenix feather or unicorn hair would most likely not be legit.

My daughter went as Hermione (the character from the books ) for her Halloween party. I made her wand. It took quite a while to find just the right piece of wood and appropriately prepare it, but it was worth the effort.

Next for me, will be to plan a Hogwarts style birthday party. Oh, the joys of parenthood. (Actually, one would be hard pressed to determine who will enjoy it more, her and her friends or her mum.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 05:21 PM

I had a HP wand I bought that lit up, but the kids took it. Alas, I guess it is a kid's toy.
I have asked my husband to get me a quill pen for my birthday. They have some really nice ones at Barnes and Noble. He looked at me kinda funny, but he'll do it, he loves me. (Plus, I buy him any PS2 game he wants)
What a silly sight it will be when I sit at my desk, and co-workers pass by and see me writing out my new policy with a quill pen. I want to do it just for the looks! hehe
My kiddos have their birthdays 9 days apart in December. I am going to do a HP birthday party for them as well. I am going to dress my german shepard Scooby as Fluffy and my St. Bernard (Full name Shaggy Hagrid Calero) as Fang.
My little dacshund is named Molly (my husband wouldn't let me name her Ginny-he said no Harry Potter character names and he knew of Ginny from the movie I asked casually about the name Molly and he liked it! ::sneaky huh:: Shaggy-Hagrid came later )

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 05:28 PM

I'm not alone.

I have a couple of quill pens at home. Haven't brought them to the office yet though. They aren't the kind I prefer. I saw a really nice one once. Actually had to use a bottle of ink with it too. Gotta get one of those.

Definitely sneaky with Molly rather than Ginny. Molly is one of my favorite characters. She's always good for a laugh. Especially when enteracting with Fred and George.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 05:40 PM

Yeah, this one had the bottle of ink. I used to do calligraphy alot and used the fountain pens with the separate ink. Very nice, it just adds a touch of class I think.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 05:56 PM

i've seen the ones at barnes and noble and would love to have one... but oh the mess i'd make...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 06:27 PM

They are currently getting a new Barnes & Noble ready to open not too far from me. I can't wait. I had spent a great deal of time (and money) there before I moved. Unfortunately, there has not been one close to where I live, but soon. I'll have to look for the quills.

I had caligraphy pens in the past too. It was a hobby I picked up at the same time as origamy. Haven't had much time for either lately. (Vacation time is too little in the real world. )

So what do think about the choices of Gary Oldman and Michael Gambon for the third movie?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 06:48 PM

I know how you feel. I have very little time for any hobbies. I'ved traded in sleep for reading.
The more and more I look at Gary Oldman, I think it'll work.
Michael Gambon on the other hand has a hard job. Richard Harris was Dumbledore. He has a big hat to fill.
Have you seen any pictures or heard who is going to play Lupin?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 06:50 PM

David Thewlis

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 07:11 PM

gary oldman as sirius... hmmm not how i pictured him... but i can kinda see it... i think the scenes with him and snape would be great. i love alan rickman!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 07:21 PM

Quote:

i love alan rickman!

Ditto, always have. (He's always made a good slime ball. )

I still don't know about Gambon as Dumbledore. Richard Harris will be hard to replace but with all the facial hair required for Dumbledore, maybe they can pull it off. He just has to figure out the tone of voice.

The one I would hate to see replaced is Rupert. He has such entertaining facial expressions. How could they ever find another Ron. (Hopefully, they won't ever have to.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 07:37 PM

I agree Rupert is Ron.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/11/03 07:55 PM

at this point the kids are almost irreplaceable... they have "become" the gang. i just saw a photo online of the new dumbledore and i admit he looks similar but the voice is going to be really hard to match.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/14/03 05:21 PM

What, if anything, do you think will happen with Dolores Umbridge in the next book?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/14/03 05:38 PM

well you know i've been rereading goblet and she in a way reminds me of Mr. Crouch, in her almost mania about the rules... i think that since she's been made such a fool, like fudge that she may get a little crazy to right herself or maybe blame harry for the whole thing and get a little revenge happy (which would make her a nice tool for lord V)... or maybe she'll just live down the hall from gilderoy at st mungo's i have the same question about fudge... i mean that man HATES to be wrong and to look foolish (though he looks that way most of the time). and now that after a year of swearing the dumbledore was lying, he has to backtrack.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/14/03 06:11 PM

I think she will become Fudge's scapegoat. She did after all send the dementors to Little Whinging without Fudge's consent. This will probably be the spring board for his accusations against her. He could say that he took the advide of an once trusted Ministry Official, without knowing how corrupt she was. Although, this too, would make Fudge look incompetent.
Either way, he'll come off this way.
Do you se Mr. Weasley advancing in the soon to be changing Ministry of Magic Organizational Chart? (And Percy eating crow?)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/14/03 06:42 PM

i would LOVE to see mr weasley gain a nice prominant position... not only percy eating crow but maybe malfoy (all of them) too. oh just reminded me, in the goblet (i was reading at lunch today), when fred and george were sending the blackmail owl to bagman, and hermione was saying ron should tell percy, ron said he'd proably pull a a crouch... hermione tells him that he(percy) wouldn't throw his family to the dementors and ron says "i don't know, if he thought we were standing in the way of his career...percy's really ambitious.. you know" hmmmmmm... makes you wonder

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/14/03 08:45 PM

Yes, I wonder how the imprisonment of his father is going to alter Draco's attitude.
Remember when Harry first met Firenze in SS, and he said that death was written in the stars? Is it a co-inky dink that Sirius is the dog star? ( I should have known who was going to die )
I really hope Lupin plays a much larger role in Book 6. He is one of my favorite characters. (Then again, I have alot of favorite characters).

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 01:12 PM

i hope the whole order will get to be more developed, i loved how they all interacted with each other... i like tonks but i wonder what will happen with the ministry... how many lord V supporters are hiding out in there and what they will do with their knowledge and connections... i fear for percy in a way...i wonder if the order will be outed

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 02:48 PM

Quote:

not only percy eating crow but maybe malfoy (all of them) too.

Are we talking about the Malfoys eating crow, or Percy eating the Malfoys? jj

Seriously, I do hope that Arthur gets a good promotion, or at least a window and a larger office (I think he actually likes his job), for his help in the whole ministry situation.

I hope that Umbridge gets hers for her treachery. She admitted what she did and seems to have been acting of her own accord. Maybe she will go to Azkaban after she leaves Mungos. Of course although Lucius was sent to Azkaban, there is little chance of him actually remaining there. I mean the dementors keeping death eaters in the prison is a bit of a long shot considering all things past. Will be nice though, that now it is obvious to everyone that he is involved with Voldemort. Poor little Draco will have to try to defend the family name.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 03:27 PM

well lets hope it doesn't come down to canabilism . i am curious if draco and crabbe and goyle will even be able to return to hogwarts? i agree that now that the dementors have done wat lord V said they would (side with him)i have no idea how azkaban will keep the death eaters in... but it is great that now the truth comes out about the people that said they were cursed and had no control over what they did before... still finishing up goblet again and got to the part where lord V is basically doing role call and he refers to snape as the one who has left him for forever... i wonder what happened with that? why did snape go to the "dark side" and come back again...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 03:50 PM

I think that the boys will be allowed to go back to hogwarts. Dumbledore most likely will not keep them out of the school. For Lucius to not allow him to return would proclaim that he was in fact guilty of supporting Voldemort. Currently, he could claim that he was framed or that he was acting under the imperious curse. Of course not true, but I doubt that Voldemort would object to his saying so in order to keep Draco in the position of being readily able to provide them with information.

I will have to re-read GOF again. I can't remember exactly what was said about the missing death eaters. For now, I am unsure about which was referring to Snape.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 04:32 PM

Hah Hah. Oops for the grammatical faux-pas.
I think that the boys will continue to attend Hogwarts. Although they seem to be spitting images of their fathers, they can still turn themselves around. (Not likely, but there is a chance. )
I will have to read GOF again as well. Heck, I am going to re-read the entire series again. (Patricia Cromwell (sp?) will have to wait.)
I am taking notes this time around.
Have you read this article yet? (I thought I was crazed! So, how do I enroll? )
Kids rush to Potter-style lessons
Potter fans in the States are going back to school in their summer holidays to learn like Harry.
The Urban Academy of Arcane Knowledge is set up just like Hogwarts.

Which Hogwarts' house would YOU want to be in? Vote now!
Pupils even get to have lessons in Potions, Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures.

Invitation

Kids were so keen to attend the Potter-style classes that both summer courses filled up on the very first day at the school in Wisconsin, USA.

Students get sent an invitation to attend the school, just like the letter Harry receives asking him to go to Hogwarts.

The school also:

Sorts children into four houses on their first day using a special hat
Rewards kids by giving them 'points' for their house
Gives kids a secret password to enter the classrooms
Teaches them a Quidditch-style game - a mix of baseball, basketball and paper planes

The school is lead by a former teacher in Wisconsin, Kristin Urban, who's a huge Harry Potter fan.

She even gets the kids to study ideas and issues raised in the boy wizard books.

"The kids are fascinated with the idea of magic," she said.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 04:58 PM

I saw the article. Already filled to capacity. Anyway, I think I am too old and, as of now, my daughter is too young.

I have read through the first four books several times each, and each time I find yet more things to think about.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 06:51 PM

i picked up azkaban again after i finished order just for the fun of it and i kinda feel like i should have been taking notes too. the part with the death eaters: lord v is talking about the missing death eaters (the ones dead/ in azkaban) and then the one who betrayed them and ran from the mark (karkaroff) and the one who left them for good (i'm guessing snape) and the one still in his service at hogwarts(barty crouch).
p.s. i'd love to go to hogwarts style school... i think from an education standpoint it may have lots of positives for its style... rather than tradtional old american school!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 07:01 PM

Boarding schools can be fun. You really get a chance to get to know your classmates and instructors.

Just something that has been going through my mind, I wonder how angry Filch will be about having Firenze in the castle. I would guess that a centaur would cause a bit of extra cleaning for the old squib.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 07:13 PM

filch is going to just implode because he lost the chance to beat the kids cause umbridge is gone

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 07:50 PM

Do you see Ginny and Lily as comparable characters? I mean both are strong willed women, with red hair.
Harry looks just like his father, and Ginny seems to look like Lily. (I still think they are a good couple.)

And things are just going downhill for Filch.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 07:52 PM

How do we know that Ginny looks like Lily? Which book, They're all a blur.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 08:03 PM

Well, in OOTP, Lily is described as having red hair. And I believe Ginny has green eyes. (Not quite sure if this is mentioned in SS or COS)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 08:12 PM

I guess I could live with Harry and Ginny ending up together. At least it wouldn't be like Harry and Luna.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 08:49 PM

Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi

If you had a chance to look into the mirror of Erised, would you? Do you know what you would see?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/15/03 09:02 PM

I wouldn't. I do my best to not desire things. I will work hard and am very goal oriented, but I do not long for anything. (I do not desire wealth and I have love)
Posted By: TDW

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 12:36 PM

Quote:

If you had a chance to look into the mirror of Erised, would you? Do you know what you would see?

Interesting question, would you?
I would have to say I would try, just to see what I most desired.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 02:05 PM

I would fight the urge to look. I already know what I would see.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 03:10 PM

Quote:

i hope the whole order will get to be more developed, i loved how they all interacted with each other... i like tonks but i wonder what will happen with the ministry... how many lord V supporters are hiding out in there and what they will do with their knowledge and connections... i fear for percy in a way...i wonder if the order will be outed

Oh, but for Mundungus . . .

What will happen with Podmore?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 04:11 PM

1: i do think there are similarities between ginny and lily... i think they would make a nice match... she has become much more of an independent spirt in the last book and i think harry will be drawn to that.
2: i would have to fight hard to not look in the mirror, i would like to think i know what i would see, but maybe part of me is a little afraid what i would see
3: mundungus is a great character... shows will how people from the other side of the tracks can be a great resource. i don't know about podmore... what's your thoughts?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 04:16 PM

I like Mundungus, especially when Fred and George are around. As far as Podmore is concerned, due to the fact of Voldemort's return being revealed, maybe he will be let out.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 04:24 PM

I think Podmore will be let out, but in an non-event manner. i.e. his release would not be mentioned in the Daily Prophet because that would make the ministry look bad.
I too like Mundungus. He must be doing something right for Dumbledore to trust him.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 05:04 PM

Do you think that Seamus and Harry will ever really be friends again?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 05:29 PM

i think so... i mean kids at that age go through all kinds of parting of the ways only to grow back together again. and i think in light of what they are about to face, that perhaps it will be forgiven, perhaps not forgotten.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 05:52 PM

I concur. After the article appeared in the Quibbler, Seamus when to a DA meeting. I think he realized the truth, and Harry will forgive him.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/16/03 07:25 PM

i think other people forget what harry has gone through and while he has always rose to the challenge with grace and power, he has seen some pretty horrible things and the other kids at school really have no idea what that's like, so i guess sometimes i feel really bad for harry. as he said he didn't ask for this.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 04:21 PM

What will Dumbledore say to Snape about the stopping of the private lessons with Harry? Will they have to continue with the lessons in the future? If so, will it be Snape, Dumbledore or someone else that works with Harry?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 04:26 PM

It might just be Dumbledore to continue the lessons, although I have not seen him as a hands on type. Then again the Order is going to have more work on their hands now that the realization of Voldemort's return has sunk in at the Ministry, so Dumbledore may not be able to help him. Do you think Lupin is capable of teaching Occulemcy? Hopefully, he returns as the DADA teacher because he was the best by far and the kids definately need a competent teacher in that area. Then he can help Harry learn a bit more.
The more and more I think about it, the more confident I am that if Harry survives he will eventually be the DADA teacher. (confidence level 80%)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 04:33 PM

Isn't anyone concerned at how easily Harry entered Snapes mind? If he who must not be named can't get into Snapes head, how did Harry? Snape is playing a double role that so far has fooled the Dark Lord so he must be pretty good at masking his thoughts.

I think Harry will do lots of practicing this summer! He'll be able to cheat on his tests next year!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 04:36 PM

I think that the magic that allows one to see into the other's mind goes both ways. If Snape performs the spell on Harry to see into Harry's mind, if Harry is able to fight it off enough, he can instead look into the mind of Snape. I think it would be the same with Voldemort. If Snape or Voldemort were to perform the spell on the other one, it could have significant meaning to both.

Remember that Harry was able to see into the memories of Snape as a small child through Snape's spell being fought off, and also the memories involving his school days with Harry's parents through use of the pensieve.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 04:37 PM

I think Snape underestimated Harry's true skill. Harry underestimates his own skill too. He has the makings of a truly powerful wizard, yet he still is a child, so he has alot of learning to do.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 04:40 PM

But the Dark Lord doesn't need to do the spell on Harry. He said he could see it was true that Harry had broken the prophesy in his worthless mind.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 04:53 PM

But,
Voldemort has a unique connection with Harry. They have been connected since the time he killed Harry's parents and tried to kill Harry. When Harry was able to reveal the spells and curses Voldemort had done with his wand at the end of GOF, it was evident how strong Harry is.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 04:54 PM

Voldemort is extremely powerful and has skills at wizarding that many around him do not. (Much like Dumbledore, who is capable of seeing into the mind of Harry or of anyone else without the use of a spell.) Harry may also be able to use this power in the future as in the giving of the scar to Harry , he also transferred to him some of his own powers. That too, should cause a bit of an unseen connection between Voldemort and Harry.

Oh the agony of rethinking my own thought processes, to have to get inside of the thoughts of another would be utterly painful I believe.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 05:26 PM

to weigh in: i think that Snape will be in a little trouble for stoping the lessons, i think the lessons will ahve to continue now they both harry and lord v know that the connection is there and very clear dumbledore will need to make sure the door is closed. (though not with snape for the reason that he is so angry that he cannot see the true talent that harry has. harry was not only able to cause the wands to expell Lord V's spells rather than his own but he was able to fight off the imperius (sp) curse lord V did... that's no small task.)
i really hope lupin comes back too, i think he will because he can teach those kids what they need to know, now more than ever, and he does not underestimate harry... a full patronus at age 13.
but now i just had a mind flash... what about when at the end of order. lord V took over harry's body and harry's desire to die to be with sirius and his folks (though notice he only mentions sirius), his heart drove V out... and it was then that dumbledore finally told harry the truth. so does any one think that harry closed the door in his mind to lord V? so maybe he won't need the lessons anymore.
i'm rambling but this a really interesting discussion...
i think harry is more powerful than lord V simply because lord V has become so manic with finding everlasting life that he has become blind to the fact that as dumbledore said.. there are worse things than death. and harry doesn't have that same blindess. so he can see the real situation. lord v would never think that a boy could be better than him.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 05:32 PM

You're right, Harry is powerful! The death-eaters can't fight off the Dark Lords punishments. And yet Harry get's to experience their pain too. He's full of emotion that the Dark Lord can't understand or doesn't want too.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 05:49 PM

Do you think JK will end the series with a Darth Vader-esque turn to the good side for Lord Voldemort? I hope she doesn't, but I have a nagging feeling...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 05:55 PM

I think some how, (with Harry's blood flowing thru the Dark Lord) he will start to respect Harry as an equal.

And I still think Nevil will come into play some how. After all "It's the wand that chooses the wizard." And he'll be needing a new one after his Dad's was broken.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 06:28 PM

Very insightful Michelle. Maybe that was part of Neville's problem.
I don't see Voldemort "seeing the light". The prophecy states that one must die. But, then again prophecies can be wrong. Love is the key here. Harry knows what it is like to care so much for someone then lose them. His mother's love is what protected him to begin with. Voldemort is incapable of love.
Now for my own personal thought on death and love.
I am not afraid of my own death. I do think however that losing a loved one is worse than your own death. When my brother passed away I realized this. No matter what anyone says to you, there is no way that person can understand what is going inside you. We each grieve differently. Understanding that someone is grieving and accepting their emotions is the best thing you can do if you truly care. (Off track a little...)
Any how, back to Voldemort and Harry. Harry knows loss, it changes a person and makes him stronger if he allows it to. But you can't let it consume you.
Voldemort is out for his own gain. It's all about him, and always will be.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 07:07 PM

i really hope they don't have a change of heart ending... would suck so bad!!!
i think hermione hit on a great point about life and death... i agree that loosing someone is far more powerful than fear of my own death i too learned that when my Dad died when i was 18... and maybe that realization is what will make harry triumph...
good catch about neville and his wand, didn't see that... perhaps he will come into his own rather than living under his parents shadow from his grandmother

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 07:43 PM

Do any of you think that Peter will try to right his wrongs, or do you think he will continue on as a traitor until death?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 07:49 PM

I think the latter. He is self serving, jealous, and has no back bone. (Can you tell, I do not like his character?)
Although, he is a follower through and through, and if he thinks he is on the losing side, he might try to "redeem" himself.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 08:31 PM

i don't know... remember what dumbledore said at the end of azkaban when harry was angry he allow peter to not be killed... that peter owed harry a great debt, and they there was a bond between them now, and that one day he might be very glad he spared his life. though by peter's actions in GoF that didn't seem very true...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 08:38 PM

Well Hermione, you and I both have birthdays this month. Not even too far from that of Harry. Coincidence, I think not. And also yours is the same as Daniel Radcliffe's.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 08:42 PM

Kewl
And don't forget that JK and Harry have the same birthday...
Definitely not a co-inky dink...July is a magical month

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 08:45 PM

So, so true.

Richard Griffiths is reported to also share July 31 as his birthday!
Posted By: ankovar

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/17/03 09:15 PM

What I would like to know is why they took the thestrals to the Ministry of Magic when the book clearly states that the entrance hall to the Ministry is lined with fireplaces and there was an unwatched fireplace in Prof. Umbridge's office. Wouldn't that have been faster?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 12:43 PM

i would imagine that all other fireplaces would have been watched though... it may have been very obvious when they arrived... you have little control what situation you arrive in through the floo network... now that the fight at the ministry is done... who can see them that could not before?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 01:26 PM

Considering the fact that Harry is not exactly warmly welcomed by the ministry throughout this book and that Order members would be standing guard, I don't think think that the floo network would have been my first choice either. Also, if using the floo network it is a one at a time approach which would make it easier for them to be caught and detained.

I don't know if anyone could see them that could not before. Who actually saw Sirius fall within the shroud? Something else I suppose I will have to try to determine as I re-read the book.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 01:44 PM

By the way, welcome to BOL registered use ankovar. No better place to make your first post than in a discussion of all things Harry (Potter, that is).

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 02:46 PM

i know i'm rereading again and haven't gotten that far but on first count i think neville saw sirius "die" in quotes since we are still unsure about the veil and it's hidden meanings i know ron wasn't in the room, can't remember where hermione was.
Posted By: ankovar

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 02:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I've been using BOL for a while. It's great.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 02:55 PM

Ugh! I left my copy of OOTP on the kitchen table. (There goes my lunch plans ).
But I do recall that Hermione was out of commission too. The only two students in the room were Neville and Harry. (Both boys included in the prophecy. hmmmm) I agree about the floo network, and the Inquisitoral Squad was still in the school even though Umbridge was 'busy' in the forest. The thestrals were a good choice.
What is going to happen to Buckbeak? He is such a good Hippogriff.

And welcome to our HP thread Ankovar . Varied opinions and theories are wonderful!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 02:59 PM

well maybe now that those sooo interested in buckbeaks death are caught as death eaters he can go back to hagrid... wouldn't hagrid just be in heaven.
The HP thread helps make the work day worth while plus we can wile away the time till #6 comes out...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 03:01 PM

I don't know why Buckbeak couldn't be set free. I mean, how would they be able to recognize a hippogriff anyway?

If Harry and Neville were the only ones present, I guess nobody new will be able to see the thestrals. Oh well, at least they know that Harry isn't losing his mind after the lesson on them and then actually getting to ride them.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 03:02 PM

Quote:

The HP thread helps make the work day worth while plus we can wile away the time till #6 comes out...

It would be nice if Hagrid could have him, then Harry can visit Buckbeak too!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 03:05 PM

could neville see them before? i can't remember i thought only harry and luna could...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 03:13 PM

Yes, he could. He saw his Grandpa pass away.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 03:30 PM

I saw a Plum Feather Writing Set at Barnes & Noble Online. Is that the quill you were talking about Hermione?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 03:44 PM

It was not that one, the one I saw was a little bigger. But, this one is nice. Notecards included and red ink. I will have to stroll on over to B&N at lunch to check them out again. My B-Day is next week and my husband could use a list.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:05 PM

I'll be at the Mall of America this weekend so I'll check the B&N there. I really can't wait until they open their new store. I would be dreading the car trip, but I have all 23 CDs ready and waiting. Jim Dale is quite the entertainer.

I'm not married so I guess I'll have to make a birthday wish list and let my credit card company get it for me.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:13 PM

What impact do you think Lucius, etc. being arrested will have on young Draco, Gregory and Vincent?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:20 PM

I need to get me those audio CD's. I'll be driving to San Antonio at the end of the month, which is a 9 hour trip more or less. They would keep the kids entertained for the ride.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:25 PM

I still need to get the British version but it won't be out for a while longer.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:29 PM

Jim Dale does a wonderful job. My kids will shut right up when I start one of the CD's.

The story comes alive with the different voices that he performs. It's amazing, it's just like magic!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:30 PM

I laughed so hard when first I heard him impersonating Petunia.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:48 PM

i'd love to get the cd's but i think my fiance would say overkill
i think draco et al will have to be much more careful now, though dumbledore may be kind and let them come back, lets just say he should be looking at them a lot closer now. I wonder how snapes relationship with them will change, i mean unbeknowst to them he is now working against their fathers? i think draco may be gunning for harry even worse now.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:52 PM

since harry was unable to do one of the "unforgiveable curses" on bellatrix, because he did not "truly mean it" (kinda like turning to the dark side)... do you think dumbledore could? i mean he's the only one lord V fears? just a random thought.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 04:52 PM

Kind of makes you say, "What was Dumbledore thinking making Draco a prefect?" .

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 05:05 PM

great point... didn't think of that before... maybe there'll be a nice show down of the prefects... ron and hermione against draco... oohh wouldn't that be fun! but then again what about what the hat said that the houses must unite to save the school...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 05:09 PM

3 of the 4 houses did unite in the DA meetings. I don't think Slitherines (sp?) will ever unite. They are happy the Dark Lork is back.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/18/03 07:19 PM

i wonder what that will mean for hogwarts...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 02:08 PM

Ok, new question.

Obviously, the Gryffindor Quidditch team is at a confusing point. Harry, Fred and George were unable to play during OOTP. Fred and George, of course, are no longer at Hogwarts and thus will not be taking their positions back. But Harry, assumably will be returning to his position of Seeker. What will this mean for Ginny, who filled in for Harry during the last season? Does anyone remember what years Angelina, Katie and Alicia were in? How many positions are to be shifting?

Oh, if only I would have brought my books for review during my breaktimes.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 02:40 PM

Ginny said she was going to try out for Chaser since one of the girls is leaving. She said she liked that position better anyways. I think then they have the two beater positions open (Fred & George's positions). I think the other two girls are going to be 7 years in book six.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 03:14 PM

Why do they no longer have reserves? I thought that one of the girls (Alicia or Katie, don't remember which) was originally supposed to have been a reserve who was bumped up.

When Angelina is gone, who will be the new captain? Will it be Ron since one of his desires is to be Quidditch Captain? Will it be Harry or someone else who has been on the team longer than Ron?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 03:38 PM

i can't remember what year angelina is, though it would make sense that she's a 7th year as fred and george were. I kinda think Katie will be captain next year and then maybe ron in his 7th year. i wonder who'll try out for the beaters?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 03:57 PM

I am wrong.
They don't have the beater positions open. There are those two guys (I don't remember who) that are terrible. So, there is really only one vacancy, the one Ginny is going to try out for. I can see Ron as the captain of the team. Harry is always too distracted.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 04:40 PM

I don't expect Harry to be captain either. Basically for the same reason that Dumbledore used for not making him a prefect. He simply already has enough to worry about.

Don't worry about being wrong. Remember, that's what discussion is for. Besides, I know that if expressions were literal, I would have my foot in my mouth at least half the time.

I checked the B&N at MOA and found a few quills to choose from. I decided against the large barn owl type quill with ink and instead chose two smaller ones. One black and one hunter green. I also bought three bottles of ink. I just couldn't help myself.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 04:51 PM

How about the Creavy (sp) Brothers as the new beaters? They adore Harry and were in the DA. Of course they would have to lay down their camera!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 04:55 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. I bought the book on CD (it was only $45) and a book on latin quotes, phases, and words. It was just one of those 'must-haves'. My husband liked the little book so much he took it from me. This whole weekend he was quoting latin and asking me if I new what he was saying. (Like I had time to memorize my book ).

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 05:29 PM

I bought two of those books when I was studying Latin in school. Things like "Cogito ergo doleo". (Spelling may be off as I haven't really studied Latin in a very long time.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 05:30 PM

Oh the thought of Collin and Dennis as beaters. Their own teammates would be hoping that the bludgers were jinxed to attack them.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 05:32 PM

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/21/03 05:52 PM

Quote:

Their own teammates would be hoping that the bludgers were jinxed to attack them.

hehehe

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 03:45 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking Neville is the "one"

Can Neville be the one? Did Lord Voldemort make the decision of who the one was by going after Harry? Not to say that Neville was not intended to be the one, but can he still be?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 04:21 PM

The house didn't sell today. Nobody bid high enough.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 04:32 PM

I got the impression no. I thought that Voldemort chose when he attacked Harry.
Another thought, page 604 of OotP states:
Quote:

His priority did not seem to be to teach them what he knew, but to impress upon them that nothing, not even centaurs' knowledge was foolproof.

I am getting the feeling that the prophecy is not a set in stone case. I think this is a 'fate or choose your own path' situation. I feel (key word here) that if you truly believe that the outcome has to be this way, then your actions will lead to that outcome. Either subconsciously or consciously you will make the choice to have that outcome. However, I think that if you feel you believe you can change what you percieve to be the 'fated' outcome, then you can change it. (I've written many controversial papers on this subject that gets me into huge discussions, so I won't go there.)

But my point being, what if it does not have to end with Harry killing Voldemort or Harry's death? Could there be another answer alluded to within the hallowed volumes of HP?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 04:44 PM

Hey Hermione, who's looking at me? He or she sure is cute.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 04:50 PM

That's my puppy Shaggy Hagrid--we call him Shagrid.
He was 2 months there, he is now 6 months now. (I need to develop the film)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 04:53 PM

Hermione, that is a perfect little guy! i'm dying for a dog but have to wait until after my wedding (46 days) then i can turn the begging up to a new level

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 04:58 PM

I don't have any puppies, only kitties. I had a dog before I moved, but our location isn't good for a dog now, so I gave him to a friend.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 05:01 PM

Thanks skye.
My sister's Saints just had another litter. (Unexpectedly).
They were born on the fourth of July. 2 girls and 4 boys. They are so cute!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 05:02 PM

thoughts on lord V and "the one": I agree with Hermione's post. and Dumbledore alludes to this when he is telling Harry about the prophecy. harry points out that it could have been neville, as he was born around the same time and neville's parents had also fought against lord V. However i think the important part of why harry is "the one" (and i think he is the one due to lord V's choosing) is the fact that lord v choose the boy who was of "mudblood" like himself, though no one at that time (cept for maybe Dumbledore) knew that lord v was a mudblood.
i think there are two ending options... 1: harry kills lord v... 2: they both die... i really hope this isn't how it goes

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 05:05 PM

Maybe Peter will grow a spine and kill Voldemort for Harry. Kind of a repayment for his actions earlier.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 05:09 PM

i wonder... i haven't finished re-reading ootp yet but does peter show up at all in this book? what about his new hand he got in goblet... maybe he'll crush lord v... i go back to what i said earlier... dumbledore says that harry will be glad one day that he spared peter's life... still think he's a pathetic guy though

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 05:15 PM

Now that's thinking outside the box! JK style. I like that, keep the theories coming

And Wormtail was not really in OotP. He was only is the penseive sequence. He'll be in book 6, I'm sure of it.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 06:15 PM

Do you think there is any connection between Sir Patrick Delaney-Podmore and Sturgis Podmore?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 06:43 PM

More than likely. What will it mean though? JK doesn't usually put things in just because.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 06:52 PM

Perhaps Nick will, in some way, help Sturgis and thus win the regards of Sir Patrick and finally be allowed into the hunt. That would provide us with at least one happy ending.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 07:51 PM

won't podmore be released now that the truth has come out as to what happened with him... would he still be a risk since lord v is still out there some where and could take control of him again?... by the way, where/ what do you think happened to lord v and belletrix at the end...? and now she nows that lord v is not a prue blood, so will she think less of him?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 07:57 PM

According to my calculations, Podmore would have been released before the end of the school year. He was sentenced to six months for his break in of 31 August.

I think that the order will be keeping closer tabs on him in the future.

Bellatrix possibly never realized that he wasn't pure blood, but possibly also so craved the power that was given to her by Voldemort that she will not let such things stop her from following him at this point. Once one chooses to follow and ally with Voldemort it is a decision that holds until death, I do not think think she is smart or devious enough to sneak away. (Yet Snape still lives. )

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 08:03 PM

i think it's really interesting and a great show of JK's talent that one of the characters you "hate" most is one of the most interesting by far... i mean i read the first book never did i think i'd be having theories about snape and his future in your thoughts was the order secret before (during the first round of lord v)... i mean in the way that they all seem to know who the death eaters were, would people have know who was in the order orginally? how long before this goes public now?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 08:09 PM

I think that the primary reason that the order was kept secret in the last book was that the ministry would not accept that Voldemort had returned. All those who were linked to Dumbledore and Harry Potter with the spreading of the fact were in danger of losing their jobs, or more. Now that the fact that he has indeed returned has been made known, these would no longer be issues.

There would still be the issue of the protection of headquarters and the members from the followers of Voldemort but considering that Podmore was under the imperious curse there is no reason to believe that Voldemort, though unable to find the headquarters, would not know its location.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 08:13 PM

since dumbledore is the "keeper" for the order i'm sure the house is safe in that sense but i agree that their names are known to lord V. worder if they have a weird initiation ceremony into the order ?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/22/03 08:16 PM

I'm not sure but we may find out in the next book. Fred and George are now not only of age but also out of school.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/23/03 01:02 PM

Happy Birthday Hermione!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/23/03 01:55 PM

How sweet! Thank you.

And Happy Birthday Daniel..where ever you are

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/23/03 02:07 PM

I wonder if he gets the day off from filming to celebrate. Even if he doesn't, my guess is that that particular set is alot like a party anyway.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/23/03 06:34 PM

happy birthday as well to you Hermione... as we all know you never ask a lady her age , but i do wonder how old the kids in the movies are now... how far are they out aging the characters?
Posted By: EllenA

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/23/03 06:54 PM

Happy Birthday, Hermione (even tho you didn't win the Guess When contest)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/23/03 07:51 PM

Thank you both Skye and EllenA. I figured I wouldn't win, (that is of course unless there is a heck of a lot of posts before midnight)
I just had lunch with the President of the bank, so all is good.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 02:04 PM

Quote:

i do wonder how old the kids in the movies are now... how far are they out aging the characters?

Daniel just turned 14, Emma turned 13 in April, Rupert will be 15 in November, and Tom will be 16 in September. They are all currently filming the third movie that would assume them to be 13.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 02:16 PM

well the way kids age these days, i guess they won't be that far off .

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 02:56 PM

Any idea why Dumbledore hired Trelawny in the first place?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 03:03 PM

Dumbledore is a very compasionate person. Aside from feeling that he probably was her only chance of employment, maybe he felt as if she could actually prophesize again (She did in book 3) once she let go of her pretensiousness.
I think Dumbledore gives people a chance when no one else would.
Hagrid
Trelawny
Draco
Mundungus
etc. etc.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 03:29 PM

I wasn't sure if it was that or if it was that he doesn't see that particular field as being one that would be of much use in the classrooms. (Those who have the gift, would be able to use it on their own without the coaching of a classroom setting.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 04:59 PM

i think given the import of her 1st prophecy, i think he wanted her close by not only so he could protect her from lord v who knew she had told the prophecy but also incase she actaully did it again:) i agree that he proablly put little stock in it so he doesn't really care what she teaches, he even kept her there after umbridge fired her

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 05:02 PM

How could she reveal to Voldemort what the prophecy was? I don't think she herself even knows, does she?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 05:09 PM

I think Trelawny knows the prophecy. Every year, when she predicts the student's fates, she predicts a horrible and untimly death for Harry.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 05:10 PM

i think she knows now that harry is grown or maybe even figured it out when he lived as a baby. but i'm not sure. remember that someone over heard her tell dumbledore and they told lord v... i'm not sure lord v knew who she was then, but he has his ways... i guess she knows what she says... i mean she's always predicting harry's death maybe a deep down connection to her prophecy... but even if she doesn't know, dumbledore does and could be protecting her for her own good...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 08:21 PM

Ok, this is probably a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway. If wizards are able to enlarge items and repair items to a new state, why are the Weaselys in such financial distress and why do Lupin's robes look so shabby?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/24/03 08:29 PM

not a dumb question after all cause i hadn't thought of it before...but i don't know... maybe it has to do with the orginal item garment... maybe you can only repair it so much before it isn't like the orginal anymore... i'm reaching here

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 05:28 AM

MAybe it cannot be fixed/repaired for personal gain? Or maybe it can only be fixed in accidental cases?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 01:07 PM

i agree with hermione... much better idea than mine , if you coudl use magic to do fix or have what ever you wanted then why would you need money?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 06:26 PM

i've just gotten through 80% of OOTP again... and i can re-think some of my previous questions/ answers. I don't think snape is of muggle background (could be but..) he calls lily a mudblood after she tries to help him in the pensive. about trelawney, when she gets sacked, dumbledore does not ask that she stay.. "no" says dumbledore sharply... so it is more of a demand than a request... still don't know why though... interesting line i just picked out about snape too. when umbridge puts him on probation for not helping her with harry... she says the malfoy (sr) speaks highly of him (snape)... i guess maybe the death eaters don't have a clue after all. is that how the order found out about the "weapon" to begin with?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 06:36 PM

I don't think so, since Voldemort knew of the prophecy when it was told. He probably told his death eaters.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 06:39 PM

i wonder then what information snape is getting in his time on "that" side? he must really be good at occlumency

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 06:43 PM

Who do you think overheard Trelawny's first predicition about a child being born at the end of July? Do you think it was Snape?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 06:44 PM

I agree. That is why Dumbledore had him teach Harry.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 06:47 PM

Whomever overheard was probably subjected to the Avada Kedavra curse for failing him.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 07:47 PM

dumbledore said that the eavesdroper was discovered shortly after she began the prediction and was thrown out... makes you wonder who/how they were discovered. i don't know if they would have been killed or not as lord v would not have know that they failed until he was too weak... Maybe it was Peter? he was the one who gave away the potter's secret..

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 07:50 PM

Any chance that it was Mundungus (sp)??? He was kicked out of the Hog's Head years ago and was dressed as a witch during the initial DA meeting?? What if it was him? How would the Dark Lord get that info from him? Is he working both sides too?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 07:54 PM

i don't know... i don't think dumbledore would trust someone who gave lord V that info and he does trust Mung...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 08:48 PM

i had to post something for my 100th post and i thought it would be best in my favorite non work realted thread!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 08:49 PM

Quote:

i had to post something for my 100th post and i thought it would be best in my favorite non work realted thread!

Congratulations Skye! Welcome to the 100 Club!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 08:51 PM

And understand it took a lot for me to go into this thread and congratulate you - I am the opposite of a Harry Potter fan

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/25/03 08:59 PM

Congratulations Skye.
( It's okay CubDave, I still think your kewl).

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/28/03 12:42 PM

i was in walden books on saturday and you know you're addicted to harry potter when you buy a book that is the unoffical breakdown of all the theories of the 1st four books. i haven't started it yet... but i think it'll be really interesting

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/28/03 02:16 PM

What is the name of your book? Sounds like I might want to get it too!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/28/03 02:39 PM

My daughter bought me a book like that for Christmas. I finished it in one day. There are a bunch of them out there. I just bought a book on arts and crafts relating to Harry Potter. I am going to make my kids each a school trunk using the boxes that the reams of paper come in.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/28/03 02:40 PM

Happy Birthday Kansayaku!
(Sorry, one day late, but I wasn't on the boards on the weekend)
I hope you had a wonderful day!!!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/28/03 02:53 PM

think title of book is "unoffical guide to harry potter" or something like big paper back book, dark blue cover... 25.00.

p.s. Happy Birthday (late) as well Kansayaku... i have to forbid myself from the threads on non work days

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/28/03 02:56 PM

oh i wanted to respond to one of my own posts... in OOTP harry tells the Death Eaters present in the Dept of Mysteries that Lord V is a mudblood... but belletrix is the only one to respond at all... wonder if malfoy knew.. he did have riddle's diary...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/28/03 05:10 PM

Quote:

Happy Birthday Kansayaku!
(Sorry, one day late, but I wasn't on the boards on the weekend)
I hope you had a wonderful day!!!

Thanks! My day was great, I didn't really do anything special, but my daughter made me a birthday cake. We just spent the day together. You know, the important stuff!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/28/03 07:04 PM

Just wondering, Who is (are) your favorite character(s)? Which book do you like best, and why? It's Monday after all!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/29/03 01:05 PM

fav book is "azkaban" don't know why.. maybe it's lupin and sirius and the gang... i feel like it's the end of the "innocent" times... every things after that leads up to where we are now and the coming books, which will be some heavy stuff. fav character... tough call, neville makes me laugh as does ron. i really enjoy mr weasley, cause he can be all goofy over muggle stuff and then turn on his power as a wizard when he needs to. (the scene of the gang faceing down the dursleys at the end of OOTP is a classic ) but i think over all, i would pick harry... not very unique but he's a great character.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/29/03 03:50 PM

I think my favorite book is...ugh..it is so hard to choose. I will go with OotP. Maybe because the anticipation was so much. My favorite character is Hermione (big surprise). I have alot in common with her...the bushy brown hair, the work priorities, but close friends and family first, etc.
I also like Dumbledore alot. I guess I would compare him to Buddha, calm, peaceful, willing to give all others a chance.
And you?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/29/03 04:05 PM

My favorite book is The Prisoner of Azkaban. Reason being that it was a major turning point in the lives of all the characters. My favorite characters (from the books) are Severus Snape and the Weasley family (excluding Percy). I like all the characters obviously, but Snape really stands out for me. From the movies, it would have to be Ron, due to Rupert Grint's awesome acting of the character.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/30/03 07:07 PM

in my rereading adventures, i decided to start at the beginning, it had been a really long time since i read stone... in the wand shop ollivander says that lily's wand was good for charms and james' was good for transfiguration... just thought that was intersting... never noticed that before. do you think harry and ron et al will become amnimagus' (spelling doesn't count )? if so what do you think they'll be?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/30/03 07:23 PM

They really don't seem interested in it. However, after Sirius, Harry just might start. If he was to start he would probably be a sort of bird from the raptor family. Strong willed, lightly built, athletic, intelligent, etc. Just an uneducated guess. I did a name search and this is what is said about the names:
Harry:
The name of Harry gives you a very individual, reserved, serious nature. You stick stubbornly to your ideas or decisions, in spite of any appeals or advice; you are not willing to accept a compromise. You prefer to be alone with your own thoughts, rather than in the company of others. This name restricts spontaneity in association and the fluency of your verbal expression. When you are required to express yourself in personal matters requiring finesse and diplomacy, you feel awkward and embarrassed. Although you realize perfectly well what is expected of you, you are unable to find the right words, and hence you end up saying something inappropriate in a candid way. You can express your deeper thoughts and feelings best through writing. Your friendships and personal associations are rather restricted, being limited to those of a similar nature who can understand and accept your rather straightforward yet reserved manner. You are steadfast and loyal, and do not allow gossip or anything belittling to be said against those whom you accept in friendship. You find satisfaction in being outdoors or in getting out into nature, or in dealing with the products of the earth. There is originality and depth of thought contained in this name, particularly along practical and mathematical lines. This name can adversely affect the health of your respiratory organs, the heart and lungs. Also, you are prone to suffer from weaknesses centering in the head.

Ron
As Ronald you have a great love of nature and the out-of-doors, and could have a desire to be in an occupation which takes you outdoors and involves you with the products of the earth. All the finer things of life and beauties of nature are an inspiration to you and you are attracted to the mysteries of nature. Difficulty in expression results in your being too positive, blunt, and candid in speech. Although you are easily offended by others, you do not show it. You crave affection and understanding, but rarely find it as others do not understand you and accuse you of being cool and aloof. The average person would never realize the true depth of your nature. A very individual, independent person, you live within your own thoughts. The insecurity you experience from limited verbal expression and social ease results in a jealous possessiveness and suffering through frustration, repressed emotion, and self-consciousness. This name would cause tension affecting the eyes, teeth, sinuses, ears or throat troubles; there could also be sensitivity in the heart, lungs, and respiratory organs, and frequent headaches

Hermione
The name of Hermione gives you a responsible, reserved, and dignified nature, able to find a certain amount of success in anything you undertake. You have an appreciation for the finer and deeper aspects of life. Your scholarly, studious interests incline you to art, literature, philosophy, music, and drama. You wonder about the deeper aspects of life contained in religious theories and occult beliefs. Others may consider you to be aloof and unemotional since you often find it difficult to express spontaneously. They could interpret your quietness as disinterest and aloofness, for they do not realize the depth of your feelings and thoughts. You require time alone, especially in the outdoors, to cope with the pressures of life. This name causes tension to affect your heart and respiratory organs, resulting in colds or bronchial conditions

Funny huh?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/30/03 07:42 PM

WOW! cool... where did you find that info... i'd love to look at some names...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/30/03 07:58 PM

Right here.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 07/31/03 12:32 PM

interesting, pretty accurate on my name (not skye ), but on fiance's name... not as close... though i do think i will have to look at this when we decide to have kids

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/01/03 08:29 PM

Quote:

in the wand shop ollivander says that lily's wand was good for charms and james' was good for transfiguration... just thought that was intersting... never noticed that before.

So what is Harry's good for? And have they ever described Hermione's wand?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/04/03 02:53 PM

not yet the only thing really talked about their wands (all the gang) has been that a person never gets the same results with someone else's wand (neville & ron - through book 2) and that harry's was made of fauwke's feather like lord V's... so i wonder if his is rather like the equal but opposite to lord V's. this book i got about the analysis of the books has put out great clues and points... many of which we have gone over here... i knew we were on to something. one of the things that stuck out to me in book 1 was the discussion of lily and james and how they died, that the house was destroyed, and that james fought bravely but lord v killed him first. and lord v says he would have spared lily (yeah right) because he only wanted to kill the child. we know now why he wanted to kill harry, but interesting that he would even mention that he would have spared her, but not james.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/04/03 03:13 PM

There must be some kind of connection between Lily and Voldemort.

Also, there must be something more to Neville than originally exposed. Why else would he be in Gryffindor? He was obviously more outwardly suited to Hufflepuff. This has been a key in my thoughts for a long time.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/04/03 04:59 PM

i agree... the hat can see things that others may not, like hermione would be great in ravenclaw, and neville in Hufflepuff... but i think they ahve a lot more to give... i mean look at how much neville has grown since the first book... the bravest thing he did then was tell them not to go after the stone and now he's off running to the MoM and fighting death eaters... and now he'll have to have a new wand.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/04/03 05:17 PM

. . . . and as the wand chooses the wizard, Neville could really kick butt in the next book.

Did you notice that Dumbledore seems to have played a much smaller role in the last book? I wonder if this is because he may be leaving before the story is through, or if it is because Harry is growing up and thus will be needing his assistance even less.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/04/03 08:02 PM

i don't know... i did notice that he was a much quieter character... but that could be that he was heavily involved in something that will come to light later. i think he'll play a huge role though, as they say he is the most powerful wizard, he could be more powerful than lord v if he chose to use the dark arts... i wondered why he's never left hogwarts and that it's safest place in the wizarding world (other than gringotts)... he has a whole lot going on that we don't even have a clue about yet... i wonder if lord v will try and take hogwarts.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/05/03 02:44 PM

Do you think that Dumbledore being at Hogwarts may have something to do with its being so safe? I realize that there are spells and enchantments surrounding it, but they also surround the Black House, etc. Maybe Dumbledore is part of the picture of safety?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/05/03 03:14 PM

i think so... remember that all the stuff that's ever actaully happened AT hogwats happened when dumbledore wasn't there... that in book 1 querill couldn't jinx harry at the second match cause dumbledore was there watching. and that he sent dumbledore to london to go after the stone. and in book 2 malfoy the elder gets him sent away, just when "heir" took ginny. i think it's interesting that dumbledore can also appear and disappear with out making a sound and be invisable... he's got major power...
my book also brings up an interesting connection to lucius malfoy and things... he's always very close by when something happens with lord V... he was in diagon alley when they tried to take the stone fron gringotts, well he was all over the mess with the book in CoS...(wonder where he got that book? )... i think he's almost as dangerous as lord V, especally now that every one knows who/ what he is and he has nothing to loose...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/05/03 03:33 PM

I think that not only is Malfoy a supporter of Voldemort, he is also the funding behind him. He has never had a great deal of control over his actions though, and I wonder if he fears Dumbledore. He did try to kill Harry in COS after Dobby was set free. (Stopped of course by Dobby, but Dumbledore was there at Hogwarts when that happened.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/05/03 04:57 PM

i agree... i hope/ wonder if ron will have the honor of getting rid of them after all the nasty things that family has said about his. i still wonder about in OOTP when harry tells the death eaters that lord v was a mudblood and lucius didn't react... he above all would take offense i think... did he already know perhaps? with all the in breeding amoung wizards i wonder if they could be related...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/05/03 06:43 PM

Here's a couple of questions that have been coming to mind since I re-read P(S)S.

How did Hermione know where to buy her school supplies? Obviously, her muggle parents wouldn't have known. Obviously, it wasn't in the acceptance letter. All we know is that she managed to get them in time to have memorized the books before the start of classes.

Also, if underage wizards aren't allowed to do magic outside of Hogwarts, why had Hermione managed to try some spells and have them all work for her before she had ever gotten to Hogwarts?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/05/03 07:14 PM

i wondered too, unless they either knew some wizards, or had some in the family in some way... as far as trying the spells, it could be that she was fibbing a bit to sound like she knew more than she did, but then again she knew the answers to snapes questions in thier first potions class. maybe complete muggle fammlies get a second letter telling them how to get to diagon alley or they have to be escorted in the first time... hmmm good question.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/07/03 05:29 PM

Have you seen the photos from the set of POA? Gambon actually appears to look ok as Dumbledore, hope the voice works. And the kids are really growing up.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/07/03 05:39 PM

I saw some photos in Newsweek. It shows the kids in muggle clothes in the Screaming Shack. I am hoping that those pictures are just a rehersal and not from the actual movie.
And yes the kids do look alot older, kids grow so fast! Gambon actually does look alright as Dumbledore, I hope he gets the voice right.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/08/03 12:48 PM

i saw a thing on msn where the new director is kinda taking dumbledore in the direction of an old hippie.?! i'm hoping this will work out okay...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/08/03 01:36 PM

I'm afraid they very well may be actual clothing choices for the movie. They have already said that the clothing would be different under the new director, but they were mainly talking about Hagrid at that time, so there is still hope.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/08/03 07:07 PM

we'll see, but the article i read also mentioned that the orginal director is still exc producer so i dobt he'll let it stray TOO much.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/08/03 07:46 PM

I've just checked and some of the movie scene photos show Hermione in a mauve looking zippered sweatsuit style jacket and a pair of jeans. (The ones in the shack.) Harry is in muggle looking clothing too.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/08/03 08:48 PM

Isn't it a shame? Right now I am not as anxious about the movie as I was with CoS.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/08/03 11:21 PM

Quote:

I feel as we are getting closer to the end of the series of books and Harry is growing up... he may become the NEW Dark Arts Teacher... I think everything we are seeing is all in preperation for exactly what Dumbledorf has inteneded... to strengthen Harry for the inevitble fight with Voldermort, with Neville of course and for Harry to be part of Hogworts and the Auror's
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/08/03 11:22 PM

I ENTERED!!!! And I haven't read the book!!!! Muhahahahah

Ok it's late and I don't want to work anymore

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/11/03 03:40 PM

Naughty Dawnie!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/11/03 03:49 PM

As I was going through OOTF last night, I seem to recall that both Angelina and Alicia are leaving after that year. So Ginny can try out for Chaser and there will still be one position open. Do you think Hermione will give it a try?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/11/03 04:18 PM

I just saw a link through Netscape that Mike Newell will be directing Goblet of Fire. It will begin production in April, overlapping with production of Prisoner of Azkaban.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/11/03 05:45 PM

i don't know about hermione. i mean she has shown that she can fly, but she's never shown much interest in it... i doubt she'd give up homeowrk time for practice , maybe neville will?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/11/03 06:18 PM

Quote:

1. I think the DA will continue with Harry teaching it. That's why I don't think he will be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. He wouldn't want to teach all of his defense moves to the Slitherins.

2. Maybe they will let Snape finally teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. He still wants to teach that class. I wonder why?

I don't think they will let Harry teach. Think of the power that would give him! He would be an equal to Prof. McGonagill (sp).

Whoever it is will only last one year. They are the catalyst in each story.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/12/03 05:19 PM

i think the DA will become much more open in the coming books, there is no need to hide it now and i think both harry and dumbledore will want to prepare as many people as they can. i don't know if snape would be intrusted with that postion because he's already shown dumbledore that he lets his emotions get in his way of teaching a very very neccesary thing. one could say that snape got his ultimate revenge on sirius because his failing to teach harry to keep lord V out of his head caused sirius to die.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/12/03 05:28 PM

His stopping the Occlumency lessons with Harry could also pose the question of whether he stopped them on purpose to prevent Harry from keeping Voldemort out of his mind.

Snape is quite skilled at Occlumency, could he be good enough to keep Dumbledore fooled? Dumbledore obviously thinks he is good enough to fool Voldemort.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/12/03 07:57 PM

good point i hadn't though of that before... i do remember that harry asked snape why he refers to lord v as the dark lord and only death eaters call him that... then he was interupted and never answered... which from the analysis book anytime someone is interupted whatever they were talking about is an important clue... soooo....

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/13/03 12:12 AM

I'm back! Whew. It sure is hard to stay away from BOL.
There is definately more to Snape than we know so far. Book 6 should give us more details. I really need to go on to mugglenet.com to get the scoop on GoF.
I'll be back.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/13/03 04:00 PM

As I have already confessed, I like the character of Snape (interesting, not I want to be like him) but how could he not be evil? I mean after seeing into Harry's mind and knowing the torture that this child has faced his entire life, to still treat him badly and act as though he is a spoiled brat, it just doesn't make sense.

And I still don't understand how Voldemort could not know that something was up with him if he had in fact went to Dumbledore's side (unless of course through Occlumency he is able to and does lie to him) once he had dealt with him while existing in the body of Quirrel. He had to know what Snape was up to. didn't he? Obviously, he is lying to at least one of the two.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/13/03 05:22 PM

i think thats what scares me the most about snape.. if he is as good at Occlumency to fool either voldemort OR dumbledore.. then whos to say he is not actaully fooling the other... did that make sense?
I think the reason he's so hard on harry is that he too had a tough childhood but he got none of the fame or benefits that harry's gotten. the green eyed monster raised it's ugly head

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/14/03 01:25 PM

Who knows, maybe he is playing them both and wants all the power and glory for himself.

I do wonder if Dumbledore really trusts him though. Obviously given his past, he could prove a very good Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor. Maybe Dumbledore knows more than he is letting on. Also, it could be that Dumbledore realizes that Snape could seriously stand in the way of Harry mastering the subject.

But anyone that knows Harry, realizes that fame is not all it is cracked up to be. Take the statement by Susan Bones in the fifth book. I agree that Snape is jealous of Harry in possibly many ways, most of them revolving around his past with Harry's father and co.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/14/03 01:32 PM

This is one of the funniest things..

This is from an article in today's local paper "FDIC makes case against alleged 'architect' of Keystone bank collapse".

"Harry Potter, the FDIC's board-certified forensic fraud examiner, working in the capacity of sorcerer of securitization testified the loan-securitization program resulted in losses of $261 million to the bank."

Wouldn't you have to have this guy's name? Sorcerer of securitizaion?? Is this akin to an auror?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/14/03 04:43 PM

a huge light bulb just went off on my lunch break... much with the help of my HP analysis book... they were looking at GoF... throught out there have been talks about nevilles memory and how bad it is and that since JKR keeps mentioning it that it is important... well they were talking about memory charms specfic to betha in Gof (lockhart too in CoS)-- that when siruis knew her she had a great memory, bagman talks about how bumbling she was and how forgetful.. and lord v mentions that she had a very strong memory charm he had to break (placed on her by crouch sr i'm guessing since she knew about his son)... so anyway in GoF, in the pensive Harry sees the trial for the Lestranges (sp) etal for getting longbottom after lord v was "vanquished". well to get to the point- it points out the fact that neville would have been around two at the time of the attack on his parents and that since harry seems to have "memories" from his attack at age 1 that neville may have had a memory charm on him as a toddler and that it has affected him ever since. that he may have known or seen something or someone very important that they did not want him knowing. also points out that sirius states that when they come to hogwarts that snape already knew more hexs than most seven years and ran around with the lestranges... hmmmmmm and now know what we know from book five... what do you think this could all mean?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/14/03 04:50 PM

It is a possibility. Snape has to be tied to many things that as of now are undisclosed. Neville has been through a great deal, some that he remembers and some that he does not. It could explain though, why Snape rarely says much to Neville even though Neville almost always makes a mess of something while in potions class.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/14/03 04:55 PM

i wonder back and forth on if snape was there at the attack and did he perhaps actaully partake in the attack OR did he do something to save neville while still looking like he was on the bad side? all i know is that i need book 6 to come out!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/14/03 05:15 PM

Well, we most likely will be waiting at least a couple of years for the next book. That is one of the reasons this thread is so useful. We can discuss everything that has happened to this point and throw in a few speculations of what is to come or even what may have led up to it.

I will be reading the books yet again and again before the next comes out. Every time I read them, I notice something that I missed before or have a thought about something that could be.

I am anxious for OOTP to come out in paperback also. It is much easier for me to read in that form as it is not so heavy or large and is easier to transport.

Do you think this thread will go on until the next book is out? Oh dear, we may have need to start a new one.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/14/03 07:46 PM

i think with all the details and mysteries in these books we can easy keep this post going and then won't it be even more fun to find out which theories we came up with were right! i hope we keep the same thread going... just to see how many post we can have in one thread!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/14/03 08:04 PM

I'm there. I'm sorry I haven't been participating much. I've been up to my patootee in work and such.
Examiners, my school, my kids getting ready for school, banking school, and helping my husband find a job have got me a bit strung out. My coffee intake has tripled, and that still isn't enough.
I haven't finished a book in 2 weeks. Ugh!
Okay, enough of that. ::whew, that felt good::

A big clue that Sirius was going to die was that his animangus was a big black dog, aka, Grim.

Also, I read a very interesting theory that Harry probably is a metamorphagus like Tonks. Supporting this was the fact that Harry's hair always grows back and looks just like his father's hair. In order to change one's appearance, one must concentrate hard in what they want the change to be. Harry (subconciously) wanted to be like his dad. Every time Petunia cut his hair it grew back to how it was before.

Another interesting Sirius clue is:

On Harry's first night at Grimmauld Place, the entire house sits down to dinner. In total, 13 of them eat together. According to Trelawney in PoA, when 13 people dine together, the first one to rise is the first to die. No prizes for guessing who rises first here: "Sirius started to rise from his chair."

I need to read each book more in detail. Maybe we should each read the books at the same time so we are all on the same page (not literally ) and can discuss our findings of each book by month.
This thread is too cool, because I feel a little out of place on HP boards. At least here, I am pretty confident we are all adults and will keep it clean.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/15/03 12:49 PM

glad to see you back hermione, i was getting a little worried . i think it would be nice to go through book by book... then we can focus on those theories one at a time... i enjoy this thread because since we are well read adults we can bring so much more to the discussion than god bless a teen.. though i was a well read teen as well.

p.s. small bit of proof that snape really may be on the good side and pulling one on lord v... when "moody"/crouch jr has harry in his office after the battle with lord V and crouch jr is getting ready to kill harry... three people apear in the foe glass on his desk... dumbledore, mcgonagall and snape. and snape goes up to the foe mirror and sees himself in it... so he is a foe to the death eaters... my book puts forth the idea that if neville really was memory charmed that part of the memory could be realted to crouch jrs real guilt or not with the attack on the longbottoms... that perhaps he learned the dark arts in azkaban.. though i think he was a rotten apple through and through.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/15/03 01:55 PM

Quote:

Maybe we should each read the books at the same time so we are all on the same page (not literally ) and can discuss our findings of each book by month.

OK then, Chapter One, Book One . . . .

No seriously, whatever is fine fine with me. I've just gotten out the first book to go through again anyway. I'm not sure how to distinguish month in all cases though. Sometimes they tell you, but not always. Should we go with chapters or groups of chapters (i.e. Harry before learning he is a wizard, Harry with Hagrid through the first trip on the Hogwarts Express, etc.) or something else?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/15/03 05:44 PM

yeah we could do groups of chapters... i leave this to hermione's choice though... she's super busy!
though i will be taking a two week vacation away from here starting sept 1... don't know how i'll do it!!!! but i'm getting married and going to disney land!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/16/03 11:57 PM

Well we could do book one (its not that long anyways) by the end of september going in groups of chapters each week?
I've always wanted to start a book club and this is close to it. Let me know.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/18/03 01:07 PM

Sounds fine with me Hermione. I was in a reading group at one time, but that has been ages.

Skye, what is the big date?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/18/03 04:57 PM

Sept 6... only 2 weeks and 5 days... i am sooo ready to be done with all the planning!
before we start on the books in order i have to throw this out there... i ought to bring the book in and copy this word by word but i'll give an idea... my analysis book finished up by presenting this theory: that lupin is really james potter. that right before the attcak at the potters house james and lupin did a switching spell (perhaps lily who was good at charms work, or jame's wand- good at transfiguration did the deed) and switched bodies.. then when james (lupin) was killed, lupin (james really) was stuck in lupin's body. they have all kinds of "proof" for this... the wands, that when harry tells lupin that he hears his mom's voice when the dementors come round and lupins reaction to that. to the statement "now that we all could transfigure" if he was lupin wouldn't he say now that THEY could all transfigue since as a werewolf he doesn't really technically tansfigure in a spell kind of a way. there are lots of other proof.. i can get them to you guys if you want... but what do you think about this as a possibilty?????

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/18/03 05:17 PM

What impact would that have on his being a werewolf? Would that transfer over as well?

And, wouldn't it be known to many others? Although trapped in someone else's physical body, wouldn't there be remnants of the individual that would obviously show through? (For instance, the patronis conjured, the abilities for potion making, charms, transfiguration, etc.)

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/18/03 06:56 PM

Very interesting. I for one would like to see the analysis of that theory. If he is James, wouldn't it be hard to stay away from Harry?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/18/03 08:43 PM

i'll get the book and put in on here as they have written it... their theory is that when he took over lupins body that he bcame a werewolf as lupin was...
they also point out that lupin's reaction to wanting to reach out and hold harry's shoulder when he was talking about the dementors is a sign that it is james but he knows that he has to hold back...

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/18/03 08:49 PM

So, what shall we read this week?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/21/03 02:20 PM

They haven't decided yet if the original kids will return for GOF. Oh, what could this do to the quality? What would the fans say? They have at least stated that the movie will be for the complete book rather than dividing it into two movies because of the length and content.
Posted By: IUalum

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/21/03 02:32 PM

OK, I've got to jump in here on this note. It was bad enough when Richard Harris died and they had to replace him. If they replace all the kids, the movie series will lose all the continuity that makes the books so great. I can't imagine any other Harry, Ron or Hermione!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/21/03 03:25 PM

I read that GoF will be as long as SS and CoS, not any longer. How can they possibly fit it all in? At least I still have a great imagination and the books to count on.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/21/03 04:46 PM

They will be cutting out even more as they go, much like the third movie is cutting out Cho and most likely all new Quidditch scenes (considering that Sean is not in the 3rd movie).

Looks like the Quidditch World Cup isn't going to see the big screen.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/21/03 05:00 PM

i wondered about this since each book gets more detailed, more in depth and each little thing can link to something very important... so i wonder how this will work... but if they replace the kids the movies will cease to be the kind of magic they are now... but you're right and it's true the book is always better than the movie!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/26/03 07:41 PM

sorry i've been soooooo swamped this week! trying to get ready for my vaction next week and my wedding... i'll be back on sept 15... can we start book by book then? like SS first 5 chapters or something?

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/26/03 08:05 PM

I can try to start with SS chapters 1-5 the week of the 15th, but can make no promises as my brother will be in visiting at that time. If I am unable to read, I still will be able to discuss.

No worries.

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/26/03 09:27 PM

Whew , glad I finally checked in to see what was going on. That will work for me. Have a great time Skye and congratulations!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 08/27/03 12:31 PM

Thanks... i think it's a plan! see you guys then!

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 09/15/03 07:11 PM

Time to resurrect this puppy!
My sister just finished reading GoF. She's been reading it for a couple of months, off again, on again, etc. Anywhoo, right after she quickly dug into OotP. I told her she was lucky she didn't have to wait like I had. The funny thing was, she would ask me a question, and I could tell her which book, around which chapter, the incident took place. She was both impressed and terrified by my HP obsession.
Now, I have to find out what my daughter did with my SS. Oh where, or where can it be....

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 09/16/03 05:10 PM

i'm back!!!!!!!!!! i'm glad to get started on our long term in depth look at the books one by one ... but as i was reading over my honeymoon... (PoA) i began to give this whole theory about lupin actaully being james potter some thought... i still need to post the info about the theory... maybe when i get home tonight... but in reading the words that JK uses when talking about the interaction between harry and lupin, there could be some creedence to it... especally when harry sets the pantronus on malfoy... lupin was both pleased and disturbed... perhaps at seeing himself in stag form. just an interesting thought for when we begin to get into the third book and beyond

Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po - 09/16/03 05:16 PM

Very, very interesting. I just might have to read PoA next instead of SS. I am really interested in that theory. I'm going to have to buy a new notebook for all my notes!