Canning?

Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Canning? - 06/29/10 03:00 PM

Anyone canning this year? If so, I would love your recipes. I love to can. I am canning Sand Plum Jelly, Bread and Butter Pickles, Sweet Relish this week.

My husband and I have a deal - he picks the Sand Plums (lots of thorns) and I make jelly.
Posted By: B_F

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 03:12 PM

What in the world is a sand plum?

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 03:44 PM

LOL. They might be an Oklahoma delicacy. Sand plums grow wild here in Oklahoma. They are a little bigger than nickel size. They make the best jelly and people beg you to make it for them around here. Put it out in an auction or bake sale and it is the first thing to go. Very tasty.
Posted By: QCL

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 03:51 PM

I canned grape Jelly and Bread and Butter Pickles last year. Will be doing the same, but our canning season is much later "up here" - I won't start until August.
Posted By: KTMiteComply

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 05:04 PM

We just canned some tomatoes Sunday afternoon. We made and canned our own Salsa dip last year...it was pretty good for our first time.
Posted By: Ops

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 05:12 PM

I only planted tomatoes this year, so I'll (hopefully!) be canning some of them.

Most of the canning I do is to help my Mom. This year it'll be all things tomato and pole beans. No telling what else.. they have a big honkin garden & the fruit trees have gone mad this year.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 05:19 PM

If it can't go in a ziplock, I don't mess with it anymore!
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 06:10 PM

I don't do much canning anymore but would like to do a batch or two of salsa. But that won't be until August. I also have an awesome recipe for freezer cucumber relish. I will be freezing as much of that as I am able!
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 06:18 PM

Links to recipes, please, especially for tomatoes. Most of the family is grown so instead of presents, we do baskets at Christmas with our homemade goodies and silly inexpensive gifts. My sister gives everyone herbs and spices from her garden in return.

Still have strawberry jelly but all out of saur kraut. But that won't be made till fall.

Joker, cherry tomatoes can be frozen and used for sish kabob or in chili and stews. I do the same with Italian plum tomatoes. Much easier than canning them.

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:35 PM

What's the trick to salsa that stays fresh in a can?
Posted By: QCL

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:38 PM

Pressure-cooking.

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:39 PM

wow, TR..never thought about freezing them whole! I freeze them blanched and ready for salsa, spagetti(sp) chili and all.

I sent my sister freshly dried herbs at christmas...I couldn't decide if she was pleased or not?!? She's a heck of a cook, so I thought she'd be very pleased! crazy

TR....slap me...you make saur kraut?? yummmmmmmmmmmm!

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:40 PM

I didn't have enough grape tomatoes to put up...I ate them soon as they were ready...on a daily basis, between me and a neighbor! LOL!
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:42 PM

<--- freezes all my tomatoes whole... great to toss 3-4 whole frozen ones into the slow cooker with my other meats and veggies in the winter. Tomats just are not worth the work to blanch and such when they come out of frozen so well.

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:49 PM

I would love the Salsa recipe if the recipe doesn't include the word "pressure cooker". *shudder* grin
Posted By: GenerousLife

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:49 PM

Love the Sand Plum jelly. The harvest comes at great personal sacrifice, as the chiggers love to live in the Sand Plum bushes!

OB, have you already harvested your crop?

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
I would love the Salsa recipe if the recipe doesn't include the word "pressure cooker". *shudder* grin

Do I have a deal for you! I don't use the pressure cooker when I can salsa. I'll try and remember to post my recipe from home tonight.

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:53 PM

Harvesting and freezing sand plum juice this week. Husband is supposed to go out again tonite for another 5 gallon bucket. We like to have at least 2 years of frozen juice in the freezer since you can't count on getting a good sand plum jelly crop two years in a row.

We put the plums on the back porch table, to ripen, and process those that are ready nightly. There will be quite a few ready tonight. I just boil, drain overnite and freeze in the mornings.

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:55 PM

Thanks! Can't wait to get that Salsa recipe. Salsa is a favorite at home and here at work. I can get all the tomatoes I need from the neighbor. He has a huge garden. He sets up a pickup in town twice a week and sells his goodies.

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:55 PM

I haven't even picked blackberries this year. Shame on me. (except a few I've plucked and eaten along the way!)

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 07:58 PM

I have a huge bag of rhubarb at home that I need to freeze. A woman at work has a huge patch and asked if I wanted some. I told yes, a little bit would be fine. She brought me a paper grocery bag plum full!!!

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 08:01 PM

(don't tell ^^^ but rhubarb is icky.)
Posted By: BoopGirl

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 08:17 PM

I go to the u-pick strawberries place every year and can 30 or so jars of strawberry jelly. We have blueberries around our entire fence line and we do those every year too. Takes a long time to get those picked though.

I have also canned tomatoes, and we blanch and freeze squash.
Posted By: Ready to Retire

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 08:24 PM

No kids at home anymore but I still do strawbery jelly, tomatoes, salsa, and freeze corn. We either eat or give everything else away. We do make vegetable soup with all of the fresh vegetables at the end of the summer and freeze it for the winter. Oh, and I make many loaves of zuchinni bread for the nephews and grandchildren.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 08:28 PM

Black Berries and Green beans in about two weeks. Freeze the black berries, "wet bath" or "cold pack" the green beans (The wife does it). I think that is the term. We do not have a pressure cooker, wish we did, it would make the process faster.

Potatoes next week, we just store the big ones, but can the small one.
Posted By: kms

Re: Canning? - 06/29/10 08:54 PM

Okie, I have a pretty good salsa recipe that does not involve a pressure cooker also. I will try and track it down later. I used to make grape juice and can it. I miss my big garden in IA. Plus all the fruit trees, I used to give my apple butter as gifts and it was a great hit. I love canning, there is a great feeling of accomplishment when you are all done!

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 12:19 AM

Thank you kms. That would be wonderul.

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 12:54 AM

The larger cherry tomatoes work really well on shish kabob. Just let them sit at room temp until they're easy enough to put on the skewer. That way they grill up nicely without turning to total mush.

Saur kraut is ssssoooo easy and so much fun! We use a plastic garbage can that is reserved only for saur kraut. I buy 50+ lbs of cabbage at the farmers' market and shred it on the Kitchenaid attachment. Then I hand my son and grans the baseball bat and they pound it in the garbage can layering salt in as we go. Weigh a platter down to keep the kraut in the juice, cover and place in a kool place for about two to three weeks. Check frequently and skim top as needed. When it tastes just right, we can and boiling water bath it. People fight over this stuff!

I use the saur kraut to make Hunter's Stew in the winter. When we have a little bit of pork or chicken left at dinner we chop it and freeze it in a 3 lb margarine tub. When the tub is full, we add it to a couple of jars of saur kraut and toss in a few links of chopped kielbasa. Serve with fresh REAL rye bread.

Now, who has a salsa recipe? And a really good zuchinni bread recipe would be great too. The ones I've tried are too wet.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 12:53 PM

I got this 'bread in a jar' recipe from one of the ladies here at work. I haven't tried it yet but she swears by it for zucchini bread, or pretty much any other quick-bread:

6 wide-mouth, pint size canning jars with rims and metal lids
2 2/3 c sugar
2/3 c shortening
4 eggs
2/3 c water
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2/3-1 c raisins or nuts (dredged in flour)
1 c grated zucchini

Cream together sugar and shortening. Beat in eggs and water, add zucchini. Sift together dry ingredients. Add dry to the batter in small amounts, mixing intermittently. Stir in raisins/nuts. Grease insides of jars (wipe rims clean). Pour 1 c batter into each jar. DO NOT exceed 1 c per jar! Space jars evenly (at least a couple inches apart so they'l brown) on a cookie sheet and place in pre-heated 325 oven. Bake about 45 m or until cake tests done. Remove jars from oven one at a time (keep other jars in oven with door shut). Working quickly: wipe the rim, place the metal disc on top, then twist on screw ring. You will hear it seal with a 'ping' pretty quickly. Repeat process with each jar.

Other 'filling' variations that she suggested (though she says almost anything that isn't too wet will work as long as you stay under 2 cups worth): 2 c grated apple; 2 c shredded carrot; 2 c mashed banana; 1 c canned cranberries. For 'carrot cake' quick bread, sub in: 1 c grated carrots, 1/2 c grated coconut, 1/2 nuts, & 1/2 c raisins.

ETA: she says the jars hold in the pantry for at least 6 months if they sealed correctly.

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 12:57 PM

Another girl here makes zucchini/strawberry bread. It is EXCELLENT.

3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c oil
1tsp vanilla
double handful chopped nuts (1-1.5 cups?)
2 cups grated zucchini (for plain) OR 1 c grated zucchini & 1 c chopped strawberries
Posted By: KTMiteComply

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 01:52 PM

I will try and remember my salsa receipe when I get home tonight too...can't really remember it in the head crazy

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 01:57 PM

Oh shoot, I was going to post mine last night! I'll do it today!

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
<--- freezes all my tomatoes whole... great to toss 3-4 whole frozen ones into the slow cooker with my other meats and veggies in the winter. Tomats just are not worth the work to blanch and such when they come out of frozen so well.
OMG! Something we agree on.

The larger cherry tomatoes work really well on shish kabob. Just let them sit at room temp until they're easy enough to put on the skewer. That way they grill up nicely without turning to total mush.

Saur kraut is ssssoooo easy and so much fun! We use a plastic garbage can that is reserved only for saur kraut. I buy 50+ lbs of cabbage at the farmers' market and shred it on the Kitchenaid attachment. Then I hand my son and grans the baseball bat and they pound it in the garbage can layering salt in as we go. Weigh a platter down to keep the kraut in the juice, cover and place in a kool place for about two to three weeks. Check frequently and skim top as needed. When it tastes just right, we can and boiling water bath it. People fight over this stuff!

I use the saur kraut to make Hunter's Stew in the winter. When we have a little bit of pork or chicken left at dinner we chop it and freeze it in a 3 lb margarine tub. When the tub is full, we add it to a couple of jars of saur kraut and toss in a few links of chopped kielbasa. Serve with fresh REAL rye bread.

Now, who has a salsa recipe? And a really good zuchinni bread recipe would be great too. The ones I've tried are too wet.

My cherry tomatoes never make it from vine to kitchen! I don't use any chemicals on mine, and I wash them with the hose while I'm watering the plants and eat them right there. Of course I've got Sun Gold and Purple Cherry tomatoes this year that are so yummy!

I just started a batch of pickles in the crock last week. Dill+Garlic+Vinegar+Water+veggie to be pickled! Easy!
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 02:11 PM

OMG! Something we agree on.

well, so much for that understanding...

Re: Canning? - 06/30/10 02:34 PM

AND another Zucchini Bread:

Zucchini Bread

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs ½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup applesauce
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:
1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3. Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool

(Wonderful with a Crumb Topping, added 15 min into baking time: 1/2 c. regular oats, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/4 c. flour, 1/4 t. cinnamon, 1/4 c. butter.)

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 12:51 AM

Salsa

25 to 30 tomatoes
2 or 3 green peppers
2 or 3 onions
10 banana peppers
3 or 4 jalapeno
5 tsp pickling salt
3 or 4 chili peppers
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp chili powder
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup vinegar
2 to 3 (12 oz) cans tomato paste(3 if you want thicker salsa)

Cut up tomatoes and cook down. Add rest of ingredients and simmer until consistency you desire.

I like my salsa chunkier so I always use the maximum ingredients.

To can, I bring the jar lids to a boil in a sauce pan while I am also bringing the salsa to a boil. I make sure my jars are clean and then I let them sit in hot water until I am ready to use. Once the lids are ready, I just pour the salsa into the hot jars and quickly pluck a lid from the pan and screw a top on. As the jars cool, the lids will seal (you'll hear the pop). I have canned a lot of salsa and tomato juice this way and have had very few lids not seal.
Posted By: Bagweaver

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 12:10 PM

Heritage recipe site

This is a neat site for those interested in the old recipes that you mother and/or grandmother used to make. This particular link is to the sand plum jelly portion.

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 02:07 PM

Good sounding Zucchini bread (with blueberries) that was in my electric bill this month:

3 eggs, beaten
1 cup oil
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups unpeeled grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 cups fresh blueberries or 2 cups frozen, thawed and drained.

Add oil, sugar, zucchini, vanilla and almond extract to beaten eggs. Sift dry ingredients together and add to batter. Gently fold in blueberries. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8x4x2" loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 1/4 hours until inserted toothpick comes out cleanly. Cool on rack and sotre in platic wrap in fridge.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:07 PM

The best salsa recipe ever!!!

12 cups Roma tomatoes (diced, peeled and cored)
6 green onions, diced
1 small Vidalia onion
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
2 serrano peppers, diced
2 banana peppers, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons minced cilantro (MUST be fresh)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup vinegar (5% acidity)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ cup sugar

Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer instructions.

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot (salsa should be chunky). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rim and threads of jar with a clean damp cloth and seal.

Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:09 PM

Another salsa recipe...this one makes a green salsa that's got a bit of a kick.

12 cups yellow tomatoes, peeled and cored
15 cloves garlic
3 cups red onion
5 jalapeno peppers, seeded
6 serrano peppers, seeded
¼ cup minced cilantro
1 ½ tablespoons salt
1 ½ tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
¾ tablespoon red pepper flakes
¾ cup red wine vinegar, 5% acidity

Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer instructions.

Process garlic, onion, and peppers in food processor until minced. Process tomatoes until finely diced. (salsa should be smooth not chunky)

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rim and threads of jar with a clean damp cloth and seal.

Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:12 PM

Does anybody have a black bean salsa recipe, by any chance?

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Does anybody have a black bean salsa recipe, by any chance?

My sister makes black bean salsa (or she used to). I'll email her and see if she still has her recipe.

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:31 PM

Thanks! That way I can make a batch of hot for the hubby and mild/black bean for me. grin

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:34 PM

Becca...the one above with Roma tomatoes is pretty mild and sweet. The kids love it.

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:38 PM

Nifty. Thanks!

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:40 PM

We're up to our eyeballs in tomatoes. He's been foisting them off on the neighbors, eating tomato sandwiches for lunch almost every day, and I used a bunch to make pasta sauce last night. I think salsa would be an excellent use for the next batch. smile

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:46 PM

Mine kinda fizzled out. But then, they were grape and early gal...so maybe that's why?

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 03:49 PM

Maybe. He planted Better Bush and patio.

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 04:02 PM

JLJ, thanks for the salsa recipe. We got more cilantro in our CSA box last night and I was looking for a way to use it. Unfortunately, it's too early for tomatoes here so I'll have to buy some...or I could take some of your surplus, Becca. wink
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 09:51 PM

We had lots of tomatoes in our CSA last year. I roasted a bunch of them. Slice fairly thin, put on a cookie sheet, drizzle generously with evoo, sprinkle with your favorite spices - garlic, basil, fennel, whatever you like - and put in a slow oven (200-250) for a few hours. They're supposed to last in the refrigerator for a long time and can be frozen. I wouldn't know about that, though...
Posted By: kms

Re: Canning? - 07/01/10 09:57 PM

rr Sarah, that is very close to my recipe, I am allergic to cilantro, so mine is always cilantro free.

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 12:48 PM

This may be a stupid question - but what's a CSA?

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 12:57 PM

<<<was just fixing to ask the same ?

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 12:58 PM

LOLOL! Becca...I just saw your tag line! grin

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 02:32 PM

Community Supported Agriculture, really big up here. You purchase a share of a local organic farmers produce for the summer. Each week you get a box of whatever is ripe. This week our box had cucumbers, zuchinni, basil, cilantro, sugar snap peas, parsley, kale among other things. Last week was a gorgeous head of cabbage, lettuce, spinach, kale, kolarahbi (sp?) salad turnips and strawberries and a couple other things I've forgotten.
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 02:33 PM

CSA is for Community Supported Agriculture. You're buying a share of a farmer's crops. You pay a set amount at the beginning of the season and you get a 'box' of whatever is harvested at regular intervals. Depending on the farmer, there are different set-ups - ours was every other week and we picked it up at the farmers market. We used a certified organic farmer and the food was fresh, as local as you can get in the city and very good.

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 02:48 PM

Huh. That's pretty cool! I guess we're too rural - they jsut assume everyone either has a farmer in the family or plants their own garden (which we do, for the most part).

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 02:49 PM

wow..that's very cool!

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 02:52 PM

What we DO have is a 'canning plant' at the county high school. They open the processing kitchen 2 or 3 days a week and you can use their industrial-sized equipment to prepare, cook, and can your produce for a nominal fee. They even offer shelling, husking, and peach peeling! smile

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 03:06 PM

Now THAT ^^^ would be great! I'm betting the health laws would prohibit it here tho. Maybe I'll call and see....

We're on the edge of town. The farm is actually between me and Madison. Next year they're moving to a larger farm about 15 mins away and we'll probably follow them.

We have HUGE farmers markets here too. Some are during the week but the biggie is tomorrow morning on the Capital Square. You should google Madison Farmer's Market for pics. Different farms buy a spot to park their trucks and peddle their wares. Runs from dawn till lunch time and is attended by thousands every Saturday. That's where I'll go to get my 50+ lbs of cabbage to make saur kraut come fall.

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: RR joker
LOLOL! Becca...I just saw your tag line! grin

LOL...that is hilarious!
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 03:28 PM

Some of you live in a whole 'nother world than where I live. smile

We have a farmers' market in my city that is held on Wednesdays from 9 a.m to 1 p.m. I have no idea who goes or what is there.

Re: Canning? - 07/02/10 03:41 PM

Now THAT ^^^ would be great! I'm betting the health laws would prohibit it here tho. Maybe I'll call and see....

I *think* it's run through the FFA program - but am not 100% positive.