What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to?

Posted By: Alien

What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 03:18 PM

Posted By: RebekahL CRCM

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 03:50 PM

It's a toss-up between Bali and Hong Kong.
Posted By: Bartman

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:05 PM

Yellowstone.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:06 PM

Ocho Rios or St. Martin (dutch side)
Posted By: Kara S

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:08 PM

So far - San Diego, CA
Posted By: Kansayaku

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 04:14 PM

Nikko or Tokyo, love them both.

And then there is always Disney World.
Posted By: Kwiltr

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:15 PM

I spent two summers working in Estes Park, Colorado while I was in college. Beautiful place!
Posted By: RGS

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:15 PM

Haven't traveled much at all, but the best vacation was the honeymoon. We went to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Great weather, visited their small (but cool) zoo, played on the beach, went on a dolphin cruise, enjoyed the entertainment complexes with go-carts, and ate a ton of sea food. Best oysters we've ever found. Tons of great golf courses, though we only played one day.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:18 PM

Arizona! Been twice - once with just my wife, and once with my wife, our youngest daughter, and my mother-in-law and father-in-law. Flew in to Phoenix, then rented a car and drove - first up the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Lake. Then up to Payson and Strawberry and across Mogollon Rim area (it's amazing at all the different terrain and vegitation). Through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Spent several days in the Flagstaff area - absolutely beautiful and lots to see, including Walnut Canyon, the ski lift up to Humphrey's Peak (highest point in AZ). Drove up to Grand Canyon and spent the day there - too beautiful for words. Drove back to Phoenix via the scenic route - back through Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona, then to Clarkdale and Jerome (what an amazing find that is not listed in most of the tourist information), then Prescott before heading back to Phoenix. It's just an amazing state with so much variety. I know we only saw a small part and there are many other beautiful parts that we want to go back to someday. If I could find a bank compliance job in Flagstaff, I'd move in a heartbeat.

Another vacation favorite was a trip my wife and I took in connection with the ABA NRCC a few years ago in San Diego. We rented a Mustang convertible after the conference and drove up the Pacific Coast Highway with a Beach Boys CD playing to San Francisco. Spent a couple of days in SF before heading back to San Diego for the flight home.

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 04:22 PM

Quote:

If I could find a bank compliance job in Flagstaff, I'd move in a heartbeat.

For me, it would be Florida. Somewhere between Panama City, Pensacola, and the Gainesville area.
Posted By: Brandy Osborne

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:22 PM

London England. i went in college as a part of a theater class. it was amazing. still trying to find the money to go back again. too bad i didn't get the powerball!
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:26 PM

Angel Fire, New Mexico. Right in top of a mountain - absolutely gorgeous. Not really overrun with tourists yet, either, although I'm sure that will change!
Posted By: Ann

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 04:28 PM

The Island of Hvar, Croatia. It was actually a mission trip/vacation and is absolutely the most beautiful place on earth that I have ever been. It is breathtaking beyond words and rich with history.
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:13 PM

The Club Med village at Buccaneer's Creek, Martinique. Crystal clear water, abundant food, free flowing wine at lunch and dinner, and people from all over the world. Just don't drink the water!
Posted By: ABrown

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:13 PM

Cozumel, Mexico.

Beautiful weather, beautiful beaches, clear blue water, pina coladas galore, and a good book. Been 4 times, never a bad trip.
Posted By: Rubaiyat

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:15 PM

Maui - the road to Hana. Gorgeous and exotic!
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 05:17 PM

Quote:

Nikko or Tokyo, love them both.

And then there is always Disney World.

I liked Kyoto...

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 05:24 PM

Milwaukee, Wisconsin!

They have wonderful Italian Sausage beatings this time of year.
Posted By: juliad

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:26 PM

New Orleans!

I also really enjoyed our New Mexico "road trip": Carlsbad, Roswell, Albuquerque, & Santa Fe (and lots of stuff in-between)
Posted By: snwymtn

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:36 PM

I just returned from a vacation in Maine. The coast is spectacular. I spent many an afternoon watching the waves crash against the cliffs and completely forgeting about compliance. Ahhhh. Acadia National Park was amazing as was Baxter State Park. I also enjoyed whale watching and of course the yummie lobster.
Posted By: Cowboys Fan

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:50 PM

Ireland (back in the 80s). Our whole family is planning a trip there again to celebrate my brother's 50th and St. Patrick's Day.
Posted By: Ann

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:53 PM

Quote:

I just returned from a vacation in Maine. The coast is spectacular. I spent many an afternoon watching the waves crash against the cliffs and completely forgeting about compliance.

Thanks for reminding me - the most fabulous place I've vacationed in the states is Bar Harbor, Maine. I celebrated my 40th birthday there at a very quaint Bed and Breakfast Inn. Wonderful!
Posted By: JSD

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:57 PM

Maui, Maui and Maui - want to live there but it would mean more than one job (b/c of costs) and then wouldn't have any time to enjoy the island!
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 05:57 PM

Montana. The entire state. Red Lodge, Bear Tooth Pass, Mystic Lake, Gardner, Yellowstone, Butte, Helena. Fishing, wildlife, hot springs, wide open spaces! (I may live in spacious Wisconsin now, but I was born and raised in the cramped quarters of Chicago.)

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 06:05 PM

Quote:

Don't forget scary - I did it in a rented Mustang Convertoble even though they said I had to rent a 4x4 to do that road. Actually, I went a few years ago and a lot of the road is paved now, except for the parts that are not state highway. We actually drove the other side as well (forgot the name now) and that was much scarier but just as beautiful.

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 06:19 PM

We drove the other side of the road to Hana too and it was cool. The area where the last volcano eruption took place was other-worldly (kind of like a moonscape). Loved it!
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 06:22 PM

Hopefully the next one.
Posted By: Uncle_Milty

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 06:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't forget scary.

The road to Hana exhausted me but was not scary, especially after taking the 5am drive up Haliakala in the dark to see the sunrise. But after Maui we went to Kauai which was much more of what I expected Hawaii to be. I think that rates #1 in my book.
Posted By: 111

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 06:34 PM

Moorea, Tahiti - ocean front hut - topless sun worshipers all over the place. I've got pictures!

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 06:53 PM

Toronto before the SARS scare, Paris, London, & Hilton Hawaiin Village on Wakeii Beach have all been enjoyable Our cruise to Cozumel, Guatemala, Belize, etc was just ok. Hiking in Aspen is always at the top of my list.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 07:10 PM

Yellowstone and the Grand Teton (sp?) mountains was definately the most Beautiful followed closely by Colorado. Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado is spectacular.

Have you ever noticed how some people like the beach and others the mountains? My wife and I love the mountains, and have very little desire to visit the beach.
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 07:25 PM

Cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel (forget Jamaica) -- the most gorgeous water and beaches I have ever seen. Loved being out of touch on the boat. Going back in 10 days!!! Wahoooo!! Would love to fly to Grand Cayman for a week.

Also enjoyed DC trip as we took it very slow and made several stops up and back and the scenary was wonderful. New Orleans is great for all the wonderful restaurants!!

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 07:29 PM

Israel and Jordan. I am going back to Israel this fall. No other place in the world like it.
Posted By: JSD

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 07:31 PM

Agree - we too were in a flop top rental and around the haripin curves - I couldn't look down - very scary - turned it back into rental company with the outside mirrors a tad scratched because when you meet another vehicle - no where to go but into the mountain...
Posted By: P*Q

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 07:33 PM

Aruba is # 1, the Divi Divi resort is divine. After that would be Bermuda! Jamaica was OK, kind of dirty downtown though but very cool to party with Bob Marley tunes always playing in the background no matter where you go.

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 07:37 PM

I've never been to Jamaica.

A guy I dated in college was from there and told me in no uncertain terms that if I ever chose to visit, I was to call him immediately. Apparently if you leave the resort areas, it is quite unsafe, particularly after dark.

Kind of made me think twice about visiting his island.
Posted By: redsfan

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 07:58 PM

Any place without a phone and e-mail...

As for most fun, I'm with Juliad - I love New Orleans. Plenty to do and see during the day, and some of the best food on the planet.

Like Andy, I am looking forward to my next vacation. Unfortunately, I dont think it will be this year.

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 08:01 PM

Hey Paul. You weren't hit hard by the flooding were you?
Posted By: KSK

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 08:57 PM

Crested Butte, Colorado in July after the firecracker crowd has left following the dynamite blast in the canyon on the morning of the 4th.

The pace is slow, the adult beverages are cold, the nights have a nip to them.

If only I could find a way to make a living there. Ahhhhhhhhh
Posted By: skinnyminny

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 09:02 PM

Saturn-the rings are just beautiful in December.

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/11/03 09:34 PM

Quote:

If I could find a bank compliance job in Flagstaff, I'd move in a heartbeat.

I guess this is your answer - nice small bank- you may even get to wear more than one hat!

First State Bank
822 North Humphreys Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 09:40 PM

Quote:

Crested Butte, Colorado

That's on my "must see" list of places to visit some day!
Posted By: IUalum

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 09:49 PM

For me it would have to be Disney World. Don't like the beach or any other place you go to "get away from it all"--that's just too boring for me. I've got to have something going on all the time. Last time at WDW we spent six days in the parks from opening to closing. I think it nearly killed the rest of the family!

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 09:52 PM

That would kill me for sure - last time I went was 4 years ago and we lasted 4 days but then spent the next 3 days lying on a beach on Long Boat Key - Disney is a lot, especially with a girl who at the time was 5 yrs old. Chilling by the pool at night was a savior also.
Posted By: redsfan

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 10:15 PM

Kokomo was - and it didn't really let up much till yesterday. There have been several peopole here with 3' - 4' of water in their basement.

But I was in Nebraska during the really big rain. I am still in the process of relocating here, and I was visiting my family.

Happily, we will all be together again by this time next week.
Posted By: NotALawyer

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/11/03 10:32 PM

At the top of the town called Positano on the Amalfi Coast. The drive in and out is hairy, but the view is something that has to be experienced to understand.

Pictures
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/12/03 01:09 AM

My first trip to Europe. Six weeks traveling through numerous countries, sleeping in castles every night. It was a real bear to plan, but worth every second! (They serve wine there ya know...)

As an aside...I hate Paris in the springtime!
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/12/03 02:29 AM

Romantic Road in Germany

Gulf Shores Alabama (it was nicer before it got so built up, but is still a Florida beach in Alabama without all the crazy teens.)

Banana Belt in Colorado (Buena Vista to Leadville)

Swiss Alps

Italy--Tuscany area, Florence, Rome(!!!)

Austria

Ireland (The northwestern coast of Ireland if you want to get away.)

Isle of Sky in Scotland--to get away from it all--they built a bridge since I was there, so I am not sure it is such a great getaway anymore.

Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/12/03 05:02 AM

I'll let you folks know....We're going to Maui next week (my, hubby and daughter). First time for all of us!
Posted By: GreatBlue

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 03:20 PM

I've been so many places I've loved, London, Scotland, Vienna, Venice, Vancouver, Savannah, Charleston, the Caribbean, and of course I concur with all of you who listed Colorado as a favorite place. I'm a little prejudiced though. I love those mountains.

I think my all time favorite though was Prince Edward Island. It is just so idyllic, rolling hills of farmland which roll right up to the sea. Absolutely beautiful. I think its the only place where I would be satisfied to go back year after year.
Posted By: MackenzieS

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 03:36 PM

Quote:

Aruba is # 1, the Divi Divi resort is divine. After that would be Bermuda! Jamaica was OK, kind of dirty downtown though but very cool to party with Bob Marley tunes always playing in the background no matter where you go.

My sister is returning from Aruba today. She called yesterday to talk to her kids and I had to ask her if she rode any camels while she was there.....apparently there are no camels in Aruba???? Why do I have this vision of people dressed in white, riding on the back of camels across a desert??

My bid is for Casa Magna in Cancun. Sleep with the windows open and wake with the smell of fresh sea air coming in the room. Wonderfully beautiful view, the ocean was right outside our window. All inclusive is the best!
Posted By: GenerousLife

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 04:16 PM

Anywhere my grandson is!
Posted By: 1 Peter 5:7

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 04:20 PM

We leave soon for an Alaskan cruise. Has anyone ever done one of these? Any ideas for shore excursions? We sail from Seward AK to Vancouver BC, with stops in Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan. Holland America cruise line, the Veendam. Pre-sailing we do 4 days at Denali and on the sightseeing train from Fairbanks to Anchorage. Can't wait!
Posted By: Jayda's Mom

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 04:57 PM

If you have any extra time in Fairbanks, make sure to do the Eldorado Gold Camp tour. You take a tour through the site on train and then pan for gold (which you get to keep!) It's rated the #1 tour in Alaska. In Denali make sure to take the white water rafting trip. (Although the water is ice cold)

Also you may want to bring some shorts as it is supposed to be 80 degrees in Anchorage today. (Yes, it does actually get warm here!)

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 05:33 PM

Sitka has a great jewel seller right in the heart of downtown you'll want to hit for the love of your life. CHEEP! (I love myself so I hit it whenever I'm in town) Sitka is my favorite place in Alaska. The coast is wonderful and reminds me of home (Washington) but lacks those pesky relatives

Head to the glacier in Juneau. Also, see if you can drive out (or go as a group) to the Russian stone church. It's in a very sereene setting and quite lovely. I go each time I'm in Juneau just for a quiet break.

Head out and see a bear in Ketchikan. It's prime viewing season and you can fish while you're at it.

Bring a pillow for the train trip...that's a LONG one!

Eat at Marx Brothers Cafe in Anchorage. Small house in downtown and the best Cesear salad in the world (I've tried them from France to Germany to Canada and through the US...this is the BEST!). Wine list to die for!!!

When you're at Denali make sure to take the long bus tour verses the short one. You'll have a much better tour, despite the long day. It's worth every second. I took my mom and we saw every single animal she wanted to quite close as well as the mountain (it's not viewable most of the time).

Eat at the old mill in Fairbanks. It's much better than the places right in town for a casual meal and a great beer.

Bring sun glasses It's not going down until September...you'll need them!

Hopefully you're not on the boat they just drug away after it hit a rock in Glacier bay...it leaves from Seward....

(You should check...it's in the news today)
Posted By: Ted Dreyer

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/14/03 07:10 PM

Bonnie: If you go up to the top of Haleakala, which is a dormant volcano over 10,000 feet high (well worth going) be aware that because of the altitude it's about 30 degrees colder at the top than at the bottom. You see more people freezing their ____ off in beachwear up there!

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/14/03 07:14 PM

I did the bike ride down Haleakala in the rain. As Ted said it is pretty cold at the top and I ended up getting strep throat because of it. But, I learned an important lesson. It is better having strep throat in Hawaii than to have strep throat in Iowa!
Posted By: ABirkla

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 07:22 PM

Key West, just got back. You talk about a wild time after dark!
Posted By: Walleye Woman

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 07:52 PM

Big Mountain Ski Resort, Whitefish, Montana at Christmas.
Posted By: KATL

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 08:08 PM

Have to say so far it has been Prague. Just like a storybook. The people were friendly and nice and it was just so wonderful. Unlike my honeymoon in Spain. The paradors were amazing and it was pretty(for the most part) the people were not as nice as I was led to believe. Believe it or not Budapest was pretty cool too!
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 08:13 PM

Ditto on both Praha and Budapest!! In Prague, I stayed with relatives of my Aunt's husband. It was unique and fascinating--the city and his relatives. Fabulous...and cheap when I was there. I'm sure it has gotten more expensive in the last few years.
Posted By: Michelle D

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 10:04 PM

I'd vote for Prague also. It's a magical city. I was there on business earlier this year and I'm going back on vacation and also going to Vienna and Budapest.

Prague is still pretty cheap (certainly cheaper than Italy - my next favorite place)- I'm going this year because they convert to the euro in 04 and then everything will get much more expensive.
Posted By: JulesB

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/14/03 10:11 PM

I'll put my vote in for Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. We just got back from that part of the country. The wildflowers, wildlife, streams/creeks, and mountains are all spectacular this time of year up there!
Posted By: 1 Peter 5:7

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/15/03 02:14 PM

Thanks for the tips, Dawnie and R Russell! We are now booked for a helicopter glacier tour out of Juneau, and a nature excursion (for bears) at Ketchikan.

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/15/03 07:51 PM

You'll never forget it Ken!!! Enjoy!

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/16/03 02:48 PM

Vacation spot: Ocho Rios, Jamaica for my 25th wedding anniversary. 7 days at an all-inclusive with the man I love - nothing better.

But, then I went to Italy in 2001. Venice has got to be the most romantic city in the world. It was breathtaking and brought tears to my eyes - I was literally verklempt!

Kuaui, Hawaii is also a great vacation spot. We almost cried when we had to come home.
And, Santa Fe, NM is one my favorite places in the USA. I love the colors of the hills and the sky.
I'm going to Parras, Mexico in about 3 weeks with a delegation of folks from my town in Texas. It sounds like a great adventure and a very cultural experience.
Posted By: 2close2C

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 04:27 AM

Quote:

Arizona! Been twice - once with just my wife, and once with my wife, our youngest daughter, and my mother-in-law and father-in-law. Flew in to Phoenix, then rented a car and drove - first up the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Lake. Then up to Payson and Strawberry and across Mogollon Rim area (it's amazing at all the different terrain and vegitation). Through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Spent several days in the Flagstaff area - absolutely beautiful and lots to see, including Walnut Canyon, the ski lift up to Humphrey's Peak (highest point in AZ). Drove up to Grand Canyon and spent the day there - too beautiful for words. Drove back to Phoenix via the scenic route - back through Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona, then to Clarkdale and Jerome (what an amazing find that is not listed in most of the tourist information), then Prescott before heading back to Phoenix. It's just an amazing state with so much variety. I know we only saw a small part and there are many other beautiful parts that we want to go back to someday. If I could find a bank compliance job in Flagstaff, I'd move in a heartbeat.

While at Oak Creek Canyon did you make it to "slide rock"? Eastern Arizona has the White Mountains, great area of the country to simply enjoy the view.
Posted By: TDW

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 12:02 PM

Most definetly Disney Cruise Line!! They treat you like royalty!! They have their own Island in the Carribian and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!! The ship was magnificent, a whole level dedicated to children (and you can leave your kids there all day, they provide individual daycare at no extra cost!!!) Great nightly shows and the food...lets just say I gained 7 pounds on that cruise!!!! I would go again in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Fortyniner

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 12:12 PM

Touring Egypt.

But go in November when it's not too hot.
Nile cruising with stops at every temple along the way (skip the minor ones-especially the stop at 7:00am) Aswan (with flight to Abu Simbel) and Luxor (Valley of the Kings)are a photographer's dream (deep blue skies and the Nile against the desert and temples).

The best was the camel ride out past the Pyramids with a group of friends. The theme from "Lawrence of Arabia" kept replaying in my head.
Posted By: OnTheEdge

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 03:14 PM

The whole area around Big Mountain,MT is wonderful. Whitefish is the most unique little place. Glacier National park is undescribable. ( Oahu is a very close 2nd).
Posted By: William

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 03:28 PM

Been camping at a lot of places... and just got back from Prince Edward Island.

I have got to say that if you want a relaxing, peaceful time with fantastic scenes – PEI is the place. Well worth the trip and worth going back to again and again.
Posted By: Deena

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 05:11 PM

I haven't had time to read this whole thread, so I don't know if anyone has already said this, but we love Las Vegas. It's not particularly exotic like some of the islands, foreign countries, etc., but it sure is fun. We try to go every year - or at least every other. There's so much to do and things change so quickly that there's always something new. I'm not much of a gambler and I can still amuse myself for a good week or more there.

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been - 07/17/03 05:16 PM

Quote:

I haven't had time to read this whole thread, so I don't know if anyone has already said this, but we love Las Vegas. It's not particularly exotic like some of the islands, foreign countries, etc., but it sure is fun. We try to go every year - or at least every other. There's so much to do and things change so quickly that there's always something new. I'm not much of a gambler and I can still amuse myself for a good week or more there.

Ah Las Vegas, I think I might have possibly gotten engaged there.

Posted By: DawgFan

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 06:37 PM

Quote:

Vacation spot: Ocho Rios, Jamaica

I have been to Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios. Anon, did you go there? It was a lot of fun. I spent most of my time in Montego Bay when I was in Jamaica. It's a beautiful place, for sure.

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 06:39 PM

I was at Duns River Falls - very cool, but also a bit scary. It was hilarious though. Native kids hanging out at the bottom, collecting all the stuff that falls out of people's pockets or off their person. I personally contributed a pair of sunglasses and a pockte full of coins.
Posted By: EllenA

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 07:07 PM

I've been very lucky in that I get to go on a lot of trips for the bank. Some really great places, Boston, Las Vegas, San Diego, New Orleans. Some places surprised me, Lincoln, Neb., Phoenix (thought I would hate it, but I loved it a lot). Some not so great places, Nashville, Norman. But I went to Cape Cod on a conference four years ago and have returned every year since on vacation. I love it there and dream of retiring there. As a matter of fact I only have to work 16 more days before the SportsRadio adjustment will be made (Red Sox="us", Yankees="them" makes my husband crazy)
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 07:55 PM

Quote:

Some not so great places, Nashville...

I loved Nashville! I went a few years ago on vacation. It's a beautiful city with lots to see and do. The country around it is great too.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 08:12 PM

But the highways around Nashville are bad. Brand new 6 lane smashes down to two lane in less than a mile. I never drive thru there without having to waste an hour due to accidents.
Posted By: KK

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/17/03 10:04 PM

I would have to say Kauai, Maui, Oahu, The Big Island in that order. The family loved the scuba diving, I loved the "drink of the day while watching the sunset".

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/18/03 12:59 AM

Quote:

I loved the "drink of the day while watching the sunset".

KK isn't that great...I'm doing it here...sun's suposed to go down about mid October
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/18/03 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I loved the "drink of the day while watching the sunset".

KK isn't that great...I'm doing it here...sun's suposed to go down about mid October

Dawnie, just look at all the work you can get done during the sunny months. You don't have to rush to cut the grass before the sun goes down and the mosquitoes attack.

I feel like I lost about a pint of blood last night thanks to them.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/18/03 05:29 PM

I've been to more exotic places, but it must be that I consider "the best" as the places I go most often:
*Fripp Island, SC and
*Lake Lure, NC.
Posted By: KK

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/21/03 07:31 PM

That must be one really big drink, or is it just a continuous bottle of pinot?

I love my wine, but something about the Islands screams for drinks with umbrellas in it.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/21/03 07:32 PM

Ken - my brother, sister-in-law, nephew, niece and now great-nephew go to Fripp Island every summer. They just love it there.
Posted By: amccary

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/21/03 08:39 PM

I have to agree with Flagstaff/Williams Az...The Grand Canyon!
However, one year we drove from Chicago to Dallas to Orlando and what a beautiful country we live in...then of course back to Chicago was full of corn...corn and more corn!

Re: What's the Best Vacation Location You've Been to? - 07/21/03 10:15 PM

Quote:

just look at all the work you can get done during the sunny months. You don't have to rush to cut the grass before the sun goes down and the mosquitoes attack.

Ours are tough, they're out when the sun is up or down or well..pretty much anytime. We have three types of mosquitos, the first small ones "No see um's" which don't bite, then the middle size ones, which bite a lot! and then the big ones, who gave up biting for Lent I guess.

When I first moved to Alaska I was with BofA who had a "Return calls before the sun goes down" rule. I was completely thrilled with the idea that I didn't need to return calls made in May until Late October!