Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well

Posted By: HappyGilmore

Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 07:41 PM

snipped...

I wonder if I could try this next time I needed a few bucks

Quote:
An Oregon man has settled a federal lawsuit over what he says was his First Amendment right to express himself by giving the finger to sheriff's deputies.

The Oregonian reports Robert Ekas settled the suit for $4,000.

In his lawsuit, Ekas said that in July 2007, he flipped off a Clackamas County deputy while driving, and the deputy gave him tickets for illegal lane change and improper display of license plates. Ekas was acquitted on the citations. A month later, he gave the finger to another deputy, who detained him but wrote no tickets.

Ekas alleged he was being harassed.

A story earlier this year in the Portland newspaper brought Ekas national media attention, including an appearance on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report."

County officials say it was cheaper to settle the case than to proceed with defending the suit.

Posted By: Peepers

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 07:44 PM

I wonder how much you can get if you moon them
Posted By: Erl of Baltimore

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 07:48 PM

I just like the words "Clackamas County"...I wonder who they peed off to end up with that name?
Posted By: B_F

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 07:53 PM

That's terrible.... funny, but terrible.
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BSApaysmybills
I just like the words "Clackamas County"...I wonder who they peed off to end up with that name?

My great great grandfather left New Orleans and settled in Clackamas County - it must be a nice place! laugh
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 08:46 PM

I agree with the decision; where is it the law that you have to treat a police officer with more respect than anyone else?

I agree that you should have to listen to them in situations where they are arresting you and the related, but they're no better than anyone else (and many times, worse).
Posted By: Miss Banker

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: MB Guy
I agree with the decision; where is it the law that you have to treat a police officer with more respect than anyone else?

I agree that you should have to listen to them in situations where they are arresting you and the related, but they're no better than anyone else (and many times, worse).

I 100% agree with that. Couldn't have said it better myself. smile
Posted By: Dip

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 08:54 PM

When the ex-bf became a cop, he said it's not illegal to call cops names...that cops weren't supposed to do anythign about it.

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 09:10 PM

not illegal, but clearly not too intelligent...

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/02/10 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
not illegal, but clearly not too intelligent...

where's that "like" button!

Seriously, it's not illegal to flip them the bird, but it's not illegal for them to pull you over for doing a couple miles over the speed limit either. You mess with the bull, you're likely to get the horns!
Posted By: Erl of Baltimore

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: califgirl
Originally Posted By: BSApaysmybills

My great great grandfather left New Orleans and settled in Clackamas County - it must be a nice place! laugh

I took the time to visit the county's website and yes, it is not only a nice place but beautiful too. The name came from the Clackamas indians. Part of the Portland metro area. Looks absolutely gorgeous I will definitely have to visit someday.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 12:48 PM

Around here, they WILL harass you for things like that, including potentially considering it a terroristic threat. I try really hard to be respectful, and most of them are pretty darn decent and I have really appreciated them when I've needed them, but once or twice they have pushed me a little too far with their arrogance.

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 12:58 PM

cops have to be arrogant, there have been numerous studies about their ego, attitude, and makeup...remember that with courts, you are presumed innocent...with cops, they presume guilt and you have a short window to convince them otherwise...
Posted By: DeeQ

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 01:38 PM

and they cheat and beat their wives... wink

::flips happy the bird::

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 01:56 PM

don't forget the free donuts and coffee...

when our local McDonald's stopped giving cops free meals, and instead offered it at a discount equal to what employees paid, you would have thought the end of the world was here...

then, the local sheriff said any deputy accepting any discount or free service, from coffee on up, would lose his job...

the sheriff was then outed by the local paper for receiving a free meal...

go figure...
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 02:07 PM

don't forget the free donuts and coffee...

when our local McDonald's stopped giving cops free meals, and instead offered it at a discount equal to what employees paid, you would have thought the end of the world was here...

then, the local sheriff said any deputy accepting any discount or free service, from coffee on up, would lose his job...

the sheriff was then outed by the local paper for receiving a free meal...

go figure...

Not so much a Happy meal

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 03:00 PM

no, he was eating dinner at the best local steak joint around...

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 03:07 PM

no, he was eating dinner at the best local steak joint around...

Hey, if it's good for Congress, why shouldn't it be good for a sheriff?
Posted By: madukes

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Moby II, CRCM
and they cheat and beat their wives... wink

::flips happy the bird::

and, here in Philly, steal from drug dealers, rob bars...

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 04:00 PM

Shoot innocent colledge students who are just tring to run the police over with their car. crazy
Posted By: DeeQ

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 05:02 PM

Isn't there a law about that?

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 05:06 PM

No

Some may say that the Police acted stupidly (tm) while tring not to be run over and killed. whistle
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Rude...yet, somehow amusing as well - 11/03/10 07:26 PM

time for a beer summit