Christmas Morning Recipe?????

Posted By: Snow Bunny

Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 07:46 PM

Looking for a recipe for Stuffed or Baked French Toast to make for Christmas morning. If you have one, please share. Thanks.

smile
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 07:48 PM

actually, I do have one

I have it at home and will try to remember to post it tonight

(wow, I may have something of value to add to a thread for once)
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 07:51 PM

As Peepers is out on this one "IHOP"
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 07:58 PM

I have one, too - also at home. Will try to remember to post it later (backup for Peepers wink ).
Posted By: Ops

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 07:59 PM

My boss brought this in for our goody day Friday, and it was a big hit. Just so happens she put the recipe out this morning.

French Toast Casserole

16 slices good white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
8 oz cream cheese
8 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

powdered sugar
maple or fruit syrup

Place the bread cubes in a 9x13 baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Place the cream cheese in a large bowl and beat with an electirc mixer until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, half-and-half, maple syrup, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Pour over top of bread cubes, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove casserole from fridge and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake for 50 minutes, until puffed and golden, and knife comes out clean. Slice into individual servings, and top with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a drizzle of syrup, if desired.
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:00 PM

Find somebody's Grandma. Ask for french toast.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Find somebody's Grandma. Ask for french toast.

Much better than IHOP. whistle

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops
My boss brought this in for our goody day Friday, and it was a big hit. Just so happens she put the recipe out this morning.

French Toast Casserole

8 oz cream cheese
8 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

powdered sugar
maple or fruit syrup

Place the bread cubes in a 9x13 baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Place the cream cheese in a large bowl and beat with an electirc mixer until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, half-and-half, maple syrup, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Pour over top of bread cubes, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove casserole from fridge and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake for 50 minutes, until puffed and golden, and knife comes out clean. Slice into individual servings, and top with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a drizzle of syrup, if desired.

This sounds better than the one I have. You can never go wrong with cream cheese!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:05 PM

Becca, I'm with you, sister. I'm not sure I've found a recipe yet with cream cheese in it I didn't like.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:06 PM

I was going to post mine from home as well but the one with cream cheese sounds like a winner! I actually have one with cream cheese in blueberries that I've been looking for and I'll post that if I find it.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:08 PM

Oo, that sounds good, and we always have a ton of blueberries. I'd love to have that one if ya find it.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:09 PM

In fact, I have some cream cheese and raspberry syrup in the fridge that need to be used up. I think I just decided their future. smile Thanks, Ops!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:10 PM

Ditto on the blueberry recipe request!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:10 PM

You know, I had it in my hands not too long ago but do you think I can figure out where I put it?!?! That's my mission for tonight!
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:12 PM

Man...looking at the ingredients...that would have to suffice for the entire day!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:13 PM

I think I found the one I have at home online:

Ingredients
1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut diagonally in 1 inch slices
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions
Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices (be sure to soak all of the bread), cover, and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix softened butter, brown sugar and corn syrup and spread over top of bread and egg mixture.

Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes.

Use a little syrup on the side for extra sweetness.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers
I think I found the one I have at home online:

Ingredients
1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut diagonally in 1 inch slices
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions
Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices (be sure to soak all of the bread), cover, and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix softened butter, brown sugar and corn syrup and spread over top of bread and egg mixture.

Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes.

Use a little syrup on the side for extra sweetness.

This sounds like my recipe (not the one with blueberries) and to me they taste like caramel rolls! So yummy!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:17 PM

with the topping, it's almost sweet enough without the syrup

add that I'm full of sugar and spice and everything nice and syrup really isn't needed..............but it's nice
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:27 PM

Last year I made Belgian Waffles at my parents house Christmas morning. They were a HUGE hit!
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:29 PM

Add some strawberries and whipped cream and...Whoa...I think I just gained 5 pounds!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:37 PM

I was planning to turn Ops' cranberry/oatmeal recipe that started the cookie thread into scones for Christmas morning, but now I'm torn. Maybe I'll do one Saturday and one Sunday...
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:51 PM

We always do a sausage, eggs, bread and cheese breakfast a casserole, but this French Toast stuff above sounds wonderful.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 08:54 PM

that pb&j I had for lunch isn't holding up against this discussion.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:03 PM

It just dawned on me that it will likely be just me Christas am...I guess I can either:

A) make a pan and eat the entire thing myself, or
B) not.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:03 PM

RRBecca, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one...I want something GOOD!
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:05 PM

I was hoping for it to be just me on Christmas. After the entire family on Christmas Eve, I was looking forward to a quiet day to do whatever I wanted. But now...to save my niece and nephews from the horror that is my mothers house, I will have 5 people at my house Christmas morning. The kids are 1, 3, and 4...I think snowman pancakes are in order. smile

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: DD Regs
We always do a sausage, eggs, bread and cheese breakfast a casserole, but this French Toast stuff above sounds wonderful.

do both, an 8x8 pan of each (cut down on the ingredients a bit)

(I have a sausage/egg/cheese bake recipe as well)

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:10 PM

Snowman pancakes? What...topped with powdered sugar or something??

Tiny kids? Oh my..you are BRAVE!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RR JLJ
I was hoping for it to be just me on Christmas. After the entire family on Christmas Eve, I was looking forward to a quiet day to do whatever I wanted. But now...to save my niece and nephews from the horror that is my mothers house, I will have 5 people at my house Christmas morning. The kids are 1, 3, and 4...I think snowman pancakes are in order. smile

So you have the casserole sitting in the fridge ready for the adults, then throw the pancakes together last minute for the kids. Everybody's happy! smile
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:17 PM

French Toast Casserole

8 oz cream cheese
8 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

powdered sugar
maple or fruit syrup

I have this one...it is yummy. I am trying a caramel French Toast this year. I will post it tomorrow if you want. I think I still have one for a banana stuffed French Toast too....have to look for that one though.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:18 PM

My sister said she just wanted the pancakes! Casserole wasn't necessary! For the pancakes I usually have powdered sugar, Christmas sprinkles, and chocolate chips to decorate them with. I let the kids pick and choose. Its fun and not too terribly messy.

Little kids = more like stupid. These 3 are demons and with my kids being 13 and 16, the house is no longer kid proof. That is my goal for Thursday when I'm off work.

ETA...I will do scrambled eggs and sausage links...my BIL couldnt live off snowman pancakes for long.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/20/10 09:20 PM

They all sound great. Just realized my dad will be with us smile , so fruit and/or cheeses are out. frown
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 01:46 PM

Caramel French Toast

Prep Time 13 minutes
Chill Time 8 hours
Bake Time 40 minutes

Yields 6 servings

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
8 tbsp (1 stick) butter
2 tbsp light corn syrup
12 slices white bread
3 tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
6 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

1--Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish
2--Combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring continually, until brown sugar is dissolved and mixture is blended, about 1 to 2 minutes.
3--Spread the caramel mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange 6 bread slices o top of caramel mixture.
4--Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the bread in the baking dish. Layer the remaining bread on top of the sugar mixture.
5--Combine eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well. Pour over layers in baking dish. Chill, covered, for 8 hours or longer.
6--Preheat oven to 350. Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Serve immediately.

You can add pecans to the bottom layer if you like as well.
Posted By: prettysoon

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 02:35 PM

French Toast Casserole

8 oz cream cheese
8 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

powdered sugar
maple or fruit syrup

What is considered "good white bread"? I want to make this, yet, don't want to mess it up with the wrong bread!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 02:44 PM

A bakery loaf - not the spongy, mass-produced sandwich stuff.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 02:51 PM

Would "Texas Toast" type bread work?

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 02:52 PM

in my recipe I use french bread from the bakery

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 02:53 PM

I like thick-sliced sourdough, but any of your better bakery loaves would be fine.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 05:07 PM

French Toast Casserole

8 oz cream cheese
8 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

powdered sugar
maple or fruit syrup

Ops...is that supposed to be maple SYRUP in the top ingredient list?!?

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 05:13 PM

Yes. Syrup.. sorry.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 05:14 PM

Thanks!

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 05:22 PM

I couldn't find my recipe last night so did a search on the internet this morning and I believe this is it.

Blueberry French Toast

12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup fresh blueberries
12 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup

Blueberry Syrup
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon butter
Directions
1.Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
2.In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3.Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4.Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
5.In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 05:48 PM

Over ice, combine equal parts vodka, and tomato juice. Season with whatsthishere sauce, tobasco sauce and celery seed to your taste.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 06:53 PM

Open champagne & pour into flute. Walk past it with a container of orange juice. Down.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 07:11 PM

You forgot the raspberry. Gotta have a raspberry in the glass.

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 07:33 PM

That sounds amazing!
Posted By: blvsinangels

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/21/10 08:20 PM

slice a couple of croissants in half and use them as the 'toast' in this french toast mix...heavy cream, couple of eggs, sprinkle of cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla...whip all that together, dredge the croissant halfs and pan fry them in a little butter! Who's counting calories on Christmas anyway!!!
Posted By: Ready to Retire

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/23/10 05:34 PM

We won't have time for much breakfast with 5 little ones waiting to open their presents. We will be lucky to get a bowl of cold cereal into them.
Posted By: GenerousLife

Re: Christmas Morning Recipe????? - 12/23/10 09:01 PM

The blueberry french toast is wonderful. A co-worker makes it for nearly every "food day". She finally gave out the recipe and my husband makes it. Good left over too.