BOL Bike thread (bicycles)

Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:07 PM

A Place to talk about building, riding, places to ride, training and falling down... smile
Posted By: bOaty

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:12 PM

We weren't being very aimless, were we??

OK, I'll start out. I rode to work today, will ride at lunch and then back home. Looking for about 25 miles today in all.

I even brought my helmet today...something about all those coffee drinking, make-up applying, texting morning commuters....

My FI is sposroing a century ride and I could ride in it for free but it's the same day as a 5k I'm supposed to run in and a hike up a 10,000' peak that I'm suppposed to make.

Why does everything fall on the same day & which should I choose??

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:14 PM

Ok, I am starting from scratch. I'm pretty sure I need a 56cm frame. What frames do you guys (gals) have and waht do you like about them?
I'm building a road bike, but anybody that wants to talk MTB can have at it too.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:21 PM

BB, go on line and find a road bike size calculator to find the appropriate size frame, or better yet, stop in a bike shop and have a professional fit you, you'll be glad you did and will have a bike that fits.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:23 PM

I have a Scott DH MTB that is full suspension that is great, but pretty old now. It has a Fox Air shock that either needs rebuilt or replaced.

Anyone ever rebuild an air shock?

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:24 PM

Many years ago, i really did race some. But it has all progessed so much since then. I think the fitting is a wise choice. I did the online calculations and I'm pretty sure that I'm 56cm. But rat traps were the state of the art for pedals the last time I had a bike! smile
I dont want to drop thousands in this, but i want as much technology as I can get.
What about saddle tech. Recommendations?
Posted By: thomasj

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:33 PM

First chose a frame material. Carbon is very light weight but if you crash you can destroy your frame and it can be very expensive. Aluminum is a good choice for most since it is lightweight, strong, and relatively inexpensive. Some custom bikes have magnesium or titanium frames $$$$.

You can pick up frames on E-bay pretty easy - you can even search by size. Best thing would be to find an assembled bike that is comfortable then try to get as close to those frame dimensions as possible.

My road bike is built on a Fetish Cycles aluminum frame that I got on e-bay.

Another route you can go is to buy a completed bike with a nice frame and then upgrade the components and sell the take off stuff.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: thomasj
First chose a frame material. Carbon is very light weight but if you crash you can destroy your frame and it can be very expensive. Aluminum is a good choice for most since it is lightweight, strong, and relatively inexpensive. Some custom bikes have magnesium or titanium frames $$$$.

You can pick up frames on E-bay pretty easy - you can even search by size. Best thing would be to find an assembled bike that is comfortable then try to get as close to those frame dimensions as possible.

My road bike is built on a Fetish Cycles aluminum frame that I got on e-bay.

Another route you can go is to buy a completed bike with a nice frame and then upgrade the components and sell the take off stuff.

This is kind of where I was going with the GT ZR 5.0. All alluminum frame. Reports say its very stiff, goood handler, but the components are iffy. The whole bike can be had for $200. That leaves a lot of room for component improvement. I was leaning towards the Ultegra stuff...

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: bOatn Shasta

OK, I'll start out. I rode to work today, will ride at lunch and then back home. Looking for about 25 miles today in all.

I even brought my helmet today...something about all those coffee drinking, make-up applying, texting morning commuters....

My FI is sposroing a century ride and I could ride in it for free but it's the same day as a 5k I'm supposed to run in and a hike up a 10,000' peak that I'm suppposed to make.

Cant work them all in? LOL
Ok, you get to do a lot of 5K's so I would pick the hike or the ride? Which mountain and how long is the hike?

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:44 PM

BB, you may want to consider a chromoly steel frame for someone your size as it would be much more forgiving than an aluminum frame. Just some food for thought.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Bankbb1

Ok, you get to do a lot of 5K's so I would pick the hike or the ride? Which mountain and how long is the hike?

Mt McLoughlin Yep, a volcano. 10 mile hike 4,000' elevation gain. crazy Crazy friends I have. ::bangs head on desk::

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: MB Guy
BB, you may want to consider a chromoly steel frame for someone your size as it would be much more forgiving than an aluminum frame. Just some food for thought.

So what are you sayin'? LOL
Actually I hadnt thought about that at all. Its a good point. The last time I rode much I weighed about 175 soaking wet! smile

Shoes and pedals? Faves? hates?

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 05:26 PM

I have Shimano M520 SPD pedals mainly because I can use the same shoes/cleats as the SPD pedals on my Trek. They are technically Mt. Bike pedals, but the SPD cleat system is recessed into the shoe so that you don't have to walk with your toes pointed up in the air click clacking all over the place. Just my preference....

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 05:30 PM

No clacking is preferable!!

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 05:31 PM

I have Shimano M520 SPD pedals mainly because I can use the same shoes/cleats as the SPD pedals on my Trek. They are technically Mt. Bike pedals, but the SPD cleat system is recessed into the shoe so that you don't have to walk with your toes pointed up in the air click clacking all over the place. Just my preference....

Do you still get a solid connection to the pedal? I want to be able to assure that all my energy is going into the crank.
Posted By: Pup

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 06:07 PM

Anybody ever heard of an Exotec Comp 4 mountain bike? I picked it up in Germany for $600 at the PX back in '98.

It's a hardtail with a good aluminum frame and STX RC all around. It's not a competition level bike by any stretch, but I beat the carp out of it while I was in Germany.

If I had a good place to ride around here, I'd probaby be 25 lbs lighter. I do need a new shock, though. What are they running these days?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 06:13 PM

I do need a new shock

Have you seen the prices of the new shocks? (that should do it)

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 06:16 PM

Never heard of them Pup, but the STX was a decent middle component set back in the 90's.

Unsure on the shocks as it's been 12+ years since I built and sold MTBs. I'd check one of those sites Thomas listed on page 1 of this thread, just make sure you get the correct fit for your frame.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 06:18 PM

Mt McLoughlin Yep, a volcano. 10 mile hike 4,000' elevation gain. crazy Crazy friends I have. ::bangs head on desk::

No brainer....Do the Volcano!! Yes!!! grin

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 06:23 PM

Do you still get a solid connection to the pedal? I want to be able to assure that all my energy is going into the crank.

You get a very solid connection. I have raced with them and have never lost the connection. You have to turn your heel out to disengage the cleat. Just remember to do that before you stop. :eek:

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 06:23 PM

You get a very solid connection. I have raced with them and have never lost the connection. You have to turn your heel out to disengage the cleat. Just remember to do that before you stop. :eek:

Sounds like exactly what I want!
Posted By: Peepers

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 07:07 PM

can I post random thoughts in this thread?

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers
can I post random thoughts in this thread?

Ok, but just you... smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 07:18 PM

I found out that K2 made the bike (or had it made for them). It's a good bike for my needs, for sure.

I know shocks are spendy, which is why it's still on the wall next to the overpriced roadbike. One day.

B3, I think my roadbike is a 58 cm, which is too big for me, but it cost me nothing....so I rode it last summer a bit. It's also a Time Trial frame, so it's not really my style. But it sure is perty. smile
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 07:25 PM

I would like to ride but I have to say that having my feet clipped in freaks me out a little.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 07:30 PM

You don't have to use clips Cheek. I'm accident prone enough without clips so I do without. Maybe one day IF I get that competitive about it, I'll buy some....along with a mouth guard and elbow pads.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 07:38 PM

At least use straps. Clips, once you get used to them, are easier in AND out than straps, but I used straps in the mountains on rocky trails in Germany and only looked foolish once, that I can remember. smile
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 07:48 PM

Guess TJ better get busy building me a bike. Mine was stolen (like evey thing else).

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 08:08 PM

....along with a mouth guard and elbow pads.
::Makes note not to ride with B0atn.... sounds like things could get a little rough::

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 08:08 PM

....along with a mouth guard and elbow pads.
::Makes note not to ride with B0atn.... sounds like things could get a little rough::

::makes note TO ride with Boatn::

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: CheekEE Monkey
I would like to ride but I have to say that having my feet clipped in freaks me out a little.

Try MTB shoes without clips (looks like hiking shoes)with MTB no clip pedals or BMX pedals.

I do not use them as I off-road and to many roots and bolders. Along with bad knees and ankles.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 08:45 PM

Guess TJ better get busy building me a bike. Mine was stolen (like evey thing else).

SQUEE!!! Let's go shopping for parts!!

Let's shoot for something that looks (and performs) like this. vvvvv

Pinarello Dogma Bicycle

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 08:50 PM

Some how I knew with women there would be a squeel and shopping..... laugh

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/30/11 08:59 PM

Well someone said shoes. laugh
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 02:40 AM

But CheekEE, technically they are called "Clipless Pedals" crazy

So really you have nothing to worry about!grin

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Well someone said shoes. laugh

True! And I am sure that some where, some place, somebody has 4 inch strappy heel, liquidmetal, bicycle shoes....on sale! laugh

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 02:34 PM

Hey now, there is a time and a place for 4" heels. smirk

wink

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 05:41 PM

Hey now, there is a time and a place for 4" heels. smirk

wink

Yes ma'am! I happen to agree with that 100% grin

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 06:14 PM

When wearing said 4" heels please do not forget to adjust your bike saddle accordingly....

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 06:23 PM

When wearing said 4" heels please do not forget to adjust your bike saddle accordingly....

Yes, I was thinking somthing similar.... grin

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 06:35 PM

::Picturing B0atn arriving at The Club™ on her bike:: laugh

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 07:17 PM

You guys have vivid imaginations. crazy

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 08:10 PM

You guys have vivid imaginations. crazy

It gets better....

::Picturing B0atn arriving at The Club™ on her bike, pulling a bottle of wine from the water bottle holder:: laugh laugh

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 08/31/11 08:13 PM

Well now THAT might be realistic....really!!! grin

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/01/11 01:31 PM

Wine may be a better choice than champaigne....depending on which way your bottle cage points! eek

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/01/11 03:25 PM

Good news! I have 2!! One for wine and one for champagne!

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/01/11 04:33 PM

Ah! One for dinner, one for dessert! Tre bon!
Posted By: Dip

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/01/11 05:43 PM

My cruiser is super heavy with fenders and a Puka-basket. I got it on...wait for it....craiglist! For $40...an awesome deal for a cruiser.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/01/11 06:05 PM

You carry Harvey the Rabbit around in your bicycle basket? Ahem...oh Doctor....over here! smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 03:23 PM

Ok, I looked at Bikes this weekend! I think I want the black and orange one with the sissy bar and cards in the spokes! LOL
Seriously, there is no way I will get out of this under $1000! Also I should never have taken that %&*^$ Trek Madone for a test ride! (*&^^&#$% bike salesman! laugh

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 03:34 PM

I stopped at the local bike shop last week, and all of the ones I really liked were $3,000 and up, especially this sweet $6,000 one.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 04:52 PM

Seriously, there is no way I will get out of this under $1000! Also I should never have taken that %&*^$ Trek Madone for a test ride! (*&^^&#$% bike salesman! laugh

I built mine 3 years ago and had $1,000 in it for parts. You're right, you won't get out for under $1k for anything in the pre-built Trek line up, and then you will have entry level drive-train components. As far as the Madone, I have never ridden one. That is Lance's bike, and unless I am racing him, I don't need one (I keep telling myself this....). For similar reasons I have not test rode the Pinarello Dogma.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 04:50 PM

Step away from the carbon fiber! smile
I have decided I can live with alloy frame, carbon fiber fork and seat stem. I want Ultegra components but have to settle for a combo of Ultegra and 105.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 04:56 PM

carbon fiber is nice.... until you crash. Aluminum is easy to see cracks and can be repaired. Carbon fiber can crack undetected and is nearly impossible to repair. It would be nice to have a Madone or Dogma, but I would be so afraid of crashing it or damaging it that I would never enjoy riding it.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 05:03 PM

Kind of where I wound up. I found several Scotts with the carbon post and fork. That seems to offer enough forgivness to me for the chatter in the road. They also had decent components. Have to admit the Madone was sweet, but like you, I would be scared to ride it! Several shops have new 2009 model bikes with good component packages and I found they are willing to deal on price and throw in maintance and tire repair packages.
While I was out on my motorcycle, I saw a guy on a Goldwing towing a Madone on a trailer behind him! smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 05:16 PM

Do not clamp the carbon seat post in a repair stand should be a printed on all carbon posts.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 05:34 PM

Do not clamp the carbon seat post in a repair stand should be a printed on all carbon posts.

Voice of experience...?

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 05:49 PM

A cousin carbon bike and post. He brought it in for service (first mistake) took the bike out and the seat post snaped.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 05:53 PM

A cousin carbon bike and post. He brought it in for service (first mistake) took the bike out and the seat post snaped.

That sounds potentially (and very personally) painful! eek

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 06:56 PM

I'm sure some of these hurt pretty bad! eek

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 07:04 PM

All of the sudden I want a bike made of High carbon steel and titanium and weight doesnt seem as important.....or is it just me? YEOW! eek

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 07:45 PM

I should never have taken that %&*^$ Trek Madone for a test ride! (*&^^&#$% bike salesman! laugh

You could probably get a good deal on this one

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_V54WWNeyyp4/S-LWKbLzDcI/AAAAAAAACQ8/tQsZnzzpTcA/s1600/madone+5.5+crash.JPG

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 07:47 PM

Another composite road bike

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Wheels-16-inch-Original/dp/B0001A866O

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 08:50 PM

Can you get it with gears.....oh, and that clickety sound!? laugh

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Bimmer
I should never have taken that %&*^$ Trek Madone for a test ride! (*&^^&#$% bike salesman! laugh

You could probably get a good deal on this one

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_V54WWNeyyp4/S-LWKbLzDcI/AAAAAAAACQ8/tQsZnzzpTcA/s1600/madone+5.5+crash.JPG

Lets see, I weigh 220 lbs. Take that and multiply by the force of the co sign over torque divided by gravity plus lunch.....
I NEED A STRONGER BIKE! eek

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 08:58 PM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/73/172162186_195f65a949.jpg

Now we're talking...... smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/06/11 09:34 PM

Those are my kind of wheels. smile Spent many a happy day on one of those.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 03:04 PM

Those are my kind of wheels. smile Spent many a happy day on one of those.

Me too! Then last week some jerk ran it over.....bummer. frown crazy

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 03:12 PM

<----- Never had a Big Wheel™ and still dealing with the emotional scars... frown I seriously bring this up to my parents to this day that they never bought me one.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 03:14 PM

We have no sidewalks in the majority of the city. So, whereas I had ample space to enjoy my Big Wheel, my son will not. I'll still get him one, but we'll have to go to the park to ride it.

Actually, one block away, there is a 2 mile long sidewalk along a busy street. I guess it'll do, but there are a lot of runners and dog walkers there. I would fear for their well-being.

I miss the days of small-town Iowa where sidewalks were mandatory along EVERY street. frown

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 03:32 PM

is the Big Wheel still made with that lever on one rear wheel so you can do donuts?

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 03:48 PM

If it's not, we'd have to do some customizing. grin

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 04:09 PM

Mine didn't have that lever. I think that was a later model addition.

How about the Green Machine for doing donuts? smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 04:27 PM

Pup, you're older than us - didn't yours have a cane seat and wooden wheels wink Lol. I know, pretty smart talk from someone who never had one....

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 05:01 PM

Fred Flinstone just used his feet! Toughen up a little folks! smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 06:48 PM

Pup, you're older than us - didn't yours have a cane seat and wooden wheels wink Lol. I know, pretty smart talk from someone who never had one....

If I recall correctly, Mr. T, you are older than I.

So there! smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 06:57 PM

OK fine, I want a Big wheel, with 30 gears, and alloy frame and composit fork, an all leather butt bucket, Ultegra compents.....and the clickety sound!
Wouldn't This kind of describe a recumbant bike? grin

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Pup

If I recall correctly, Mr. T, you are older than I.

So there! smile

Nope, it's not true!!! ::Covers ears:: la, la, la, la, la.... I can't hear you!!!

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 07:45 PM

that's hot

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 07:56 PM

Mine had the lever....wwwwooooooooooooottttttt!!!!!

::does a power slide::

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 08:40 PM

Mine had the lever....

So much for the theory that the lever was on "later models"......

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 08:53 PM

C'mon...she's like 14!!

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/07/11 08:59 PM

::stares @ TJ::

:: smile @ pup::

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 12:42 PM

::Sees something brown on the end of Pup's nose::

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 02:25 PM

Maybe...but she likes me better now!! ::sticks out tongue::

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 02:32 PM

Boys, boys, boys.....
:picks up boatn and puts her on the back of his CBR:
We'll be back later. smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 03:04 PM

::under his breath:: jerk.
Posted By: Search_Me

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 03:31 PM

Well, hmm... these pictures did not help me with trying to get over my fear of riding a bicycle. eek

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Search_Me

Well, hmm... these pictures did not help me with trying to get over my fear of riding a bicycle. eek

Just get the alloy bike. Its cheaper and doesnt break! and wear lots of pads! laugh

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Pup
::under his breath:: jerk.

Thats what you get for having a prettier bike than mine.....I mean if I actaully had one of course. .... smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 05:45 PM

Oh, I have NO doubts that your bike will be an incredible specimen when you finally buy it/build it.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/08/11 05:56 PM

Oh it will! it will!
Now, lets see....where to put the bascket...? laugh

I really am thinking I will stick with the alloy frame. I just cant swing the bucks for all carbon right now. Plus I havent riden at this kind of level in a while. I'm going to fall down and go boom at some point. Maybe if I get to doing much actual racing.... we'll see. Still impressed with yours!

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/09/11 04:08 PM

A fuji frame is available....alloy with carbon fork. can get 105 components....have to look at it this weekend.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/09/11 05:24 PM

I'll sell you mine for $2k....just sayin'.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/09/11 05:38 PM

Not to be cheap, but I can buy
<--- this for $4500-$5000! and it does 186.6 MPH! laugh
Actually, yours for two large is a steal! But I'll just stick with the alloy and carbon combo. smile

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/09/11 06:01 PM

186.6?

Wanna race? smirk

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/09/11 06:05 PM

I sold my '01 Duc 748 about 3-4 yrs ago for $7600; it only had 2,100 mi.

Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) - 09/12/11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: MB Guy
I sold my '01 Duc 748 about 3-4 yrs ago for $7600; it only had 2,100 mi.

::Like:: smile