Regifting

Posted By: TB 12

Regifting - 11/30/11 02:30 PM

This morning I had a conversation with a couple of people about regifting-is it ok to regift unused items only, or is it ok to regift "used" items as well depending on the condition and or the recipient. Just curious to hear what others think.

HO HO HO
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 02:38 PM

If the item is new and unused, then why not?
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 02:40 PM

I would never re-gift something that was used. That is just tacky.

Maybe something un-opened, and if I know the recipient would like it, I would.
Posted By: A_G

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 02:40 PM

New and unused/unopened ONLY!

Otherwise...cheapcheapcheapcheapcheap

Could you imagine getting a USED present?! eek

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 02:41 PM

the only exception is CASH! I'll take used cash all day, any day. grin laugh
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 02:42 PM

I have never regifted anything (or returned an unwanted gift).

If I get something I don't have a use for I usually donate it to Goodwill. Then they can regift it for a price. laugh

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 02:42 PM

Of course you would, most teenagers feel that way... smile
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Deekles, CRCM
I would never re-gift something that was used. That is just tacky.

Maybe something un-opened, and if I know the recipient would like it, I would.

This, absolutely.

Passing along something gently used to someone who would like it / can use it is fine, but NOT as a gift for a traditional gift-giving occasion.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:01 PM

Regifting new and unopened items is fine, so long as you don't return it to the giver. Yikes!!

The only acceptable regifted used item is a traveling white elephant exchange gift. You know what I'm talking about, that crazy wacky thing that no one really wants but everyone fights to get just so they can say they had it for a year before passing it on the follow year. Yeah, I could tell you have some sugar in you.
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:07 PM

I dislike regifiting unless it's unused less than 3mo old and something that person could really like and enjoy for themselves.

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:12 PM

last year we pulled secret santa's aaand the girl that pulled my name totally disliked me and she gave me a bunch of her old scarves and such and some other stuff. UUM at least spray febreeze or something on used scarves so that it doesn't smell like your old dresser. smirk
Posted By: manimal

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: *nUnZeO*
last year we pulled secret santa's aaand the girl that pulled my name totally disliked me and she gave me a bunch of her old scarves and such and some other stuff. UUM at least spray febreeze or something on used scarves so that it doesn't spell like your old dresser. smirk

sick

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:29 PM

Nunzie!! How are you??
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:29 PM

Doesn't hold a candle to the used jock strap I got as a joke gift last year from a co-worker during our secret santa exchange! It was pretty hilarious, but pretty gross at the same time. It was mostly clean...

I've not re-gifted anything, nor would I.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:30 PM

last year we pulled secret santa's aaand the girl that pulled my name totally disliked me and she gave me a bunch of her old scarves and such and some other stuff. UUM at least spray febreeze or something on used scarves so that it doesn't smell like your old dresser. smirk

where have you been since 1/10/2010 ?

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale

where have you been since 1/10/2010 ?

i have been in hiding!!! wink
Posted By: BrendaC

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:32 PM

Wouldn't matter to me whether she sprayed them or not...they're going straight to the Goodwill box or the grandkids toy box anyway.

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Sox Choked in 11
my poor thread, being destroyed by the cheap-os
Posted By: kitten

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:37 PM

I love regifting. smile

And if someone regifts to me, and it's been used? Whatev. It's like getting something from a yard sale. If it's something I can use? Bring it on.
Posted By: Dip

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:43 PM

Let me throw in the green argument here...why is gifting somethign used not good? What ever happened to REDUCE, REUSE , RECYCLE???

If the gift was thought out and made sence, what does it matter if it's used but in good shape?

Y'all knwo I'm big on craigslist...the practical side of me says "why go otu and buy somethign new when I can get somethgin just as good for cheaper and save it from a landfill?"

Where does one draw the line? Not gifting somethign used means you can't gift anythign from a resale shop, thrift shop, consignment shop, craigslist, antique shop.... I think if you are so against regifting somethign used, then both you and your giftee could be missing out.

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:45 PM

I'm fine with giving it to someone, in general, but to actually GIVE as a Christmas, birthday, Valentine's Day, etc. gift just screams CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP.
Posted By: bOaty

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:50 PM

I'd say regifting is fine.

Re-gifting used is fine but not for a holiday.

Unless it's something really really old. grin Ever Christmas shop in an antique store?? I've given old gifts like that before. And will be doing that again this year. I've got my eye out for antique glass lemon juicers for a friend. smile
Posted By: Dip

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:53 PM

I would LOVE old pyrex for Christmas or any other gift-time. Dunno hwo old the stuff I liek is, but you can pretty much only find it used.

Y'all are very hoity-toity in here wink Had my used kitchenaid been given to me as a gift...even a weddign gift, I'd be cool with that! And some of you knwo I am determined to buy a used weddign dress... smirk

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 03:59 PM

Buying from a thrift store or used online for yourself is one thing. No way am i going to give a used gift for the holidays for birthday.

If I end up with a dud then oh well but I don't want to give a dud.

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:06 PM

If someone is collecting, say old Pyrex bowls, then I think it is completely fine!

I'd love an old radio with all of my heart.

I've gotten old juicers, old crystal salt and pepper shakers old hand blown shot glasses. It's got to have a cool factor with it, not just old junk. smile
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:07 PM

Dip - I think the difference is that if I have something of mine that is obviously used by me, say a pair of jeans, and I buy new jeans, me giving my old/used jeans to someone as a Christmas present is, in my opinion, tacky. If I want to give it to them just to give it to them, then I should do it but not at a traditional gift giving occasion.

I'm fine regifting unused/unopened items. But I certainly don't want anyone giving me their hand me downs, regardless of the situation. My SIL always sends her sons worn out clothes for my son, and the fact that my son would never wear them even if they were new because the style is not to his liking, they always go straight to goodwill.

And passing on used undergarments is never appropriate...ewww
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:30 PM

I'm fine with re-gifting new or used IF the gift is a thoughtful gift that the person giving knew I would really like. There is a difference between that and just cleaning out your closets/cupboards.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: waldensouth
I'm fine with re-gifting new or used IF the gift is a thoughtful gift that the person giving knew I would really like. There is a difference between that and just cleaning out your closets/cupboards.

there goes my idea....
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

And passing on used, unwashed underpants is never appropriate...ewww

::pulls box from outgoing mail bin that was headed to Deek's house::

blush
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:32 PM

IMHO it depends on the gift and how "used" it is and your relationship with that person. grin

My MIL is a huge re-gifter. If she buys herself something she doesn't like she passes it on and says Merry Christmas. When she buys herself something and no longer wants it she just passes it on to us as a gift. You can receive a regifted item in October knowing it is your christmas gift. She bought herself a Kuerig Coffee machine last month and she didn't like it. It was delivered to our countertop with a note saying "Merry Christmas". It was less than a week old when we got it and we are very happy with it. Year before last year I received diamonds that she didn't wear anymore. laugh A few years ago we received a framed, signed and numbered print from an artist well known in our state.

Nothing is ever gross or questionable. Everything is always in good taste and thoughtful.

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:33 PM

those are just love drawers

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:37 PM

I feel like "regifting" jewelry isn't really a regift...it's more like passing it down from mother to daughter. I don't think the same about an iPod from mother to daughter. Here, have my old iPod as your Christmas present because I'm getting a new one this year. (and then they have the nerve to wipe it clean at that!) laugh

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:38 PM

As an "anytime" gift it would be a nice gesture, of course. But a substitute for a holiday or birthday, imo, is not appropriate.

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:40 PM

what if it came from Pipa?

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:41 PM

Middleton?
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:44 PM

Longstocking?

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. A_G-DDD™
Middleton?

I would take her used drawers......

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: bOatn Shasta
If someone is collecting, say old Pyrex bowls, then I think it is completely fine!

I've gotten old juicers, old crystal salt and pepper shakers old hand blown shot glasses. It's got to have a cool factor with it, not just old junk. smile

Weeelll when you put it like that..... yes i bought a brand new beautiful GE waffle maker... because i love waffles and "Pancakes are FFF'ing Jolly"(wafflebot) sorry anyways it worked HORRIBLY it murdered my waffle mix... and i tried and tried and tried to make it work and i gave up and literally chunked it into the trash bin. several months later...I went to my grammy's house and she told me about her fabulous new waffle maker blah blah blah I got suuper excited and I asked her what she did with her old one, she told me she was gonna donate it!!! I told her she was going to donate it to me!!! The waffle maker is super old it's yellow and looks totally dumpy, but it make the best waffles!! So things of this nature sure bring it on!! I have come to realize that some things were just made better back in the days!!! Who would've thought!

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Sox Choked in 11
Longstocking?

laugh

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 05:02 PM

Halliwell?

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 05:09 PM

Somtimes that's true Nunz!! smile

I'm jealous, I would love to get my mits on an old wafflemaker!!

::puts wafflemaker on list of things to look for at antique stores::
Posted By: Loralie

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Dip
I would LOVE old pyrex for Christmas or any other gift-time. Dunno hwo old the stuff I liek is, but you can pretty much only find it used.

Y'all are very hoity-toity in here wink Had my used kitchenaid been given to me as a gift...even a weddign gift, I'd be cool with that! And some of you knwo I am determined to buy a used weddign dress... smirk

Dip- I bought my wedding dress off e-bay for $150. If it'll fit and you like it, I'll sell it to you cheap. smile
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: bOatn Shasta

::Looks for box for the circa 1990 General Electric digital clock radio left in my house by the previous owner::

::Prepares to receive heartfelt thank you note from B0atn::

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 06:56 PM

what's this? boatn is putting out for a radio?
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 07:00 PM

I would never say no to a used gun, knife, motorcycle, car....
I shop at thrift stores all the time.
Everything everybody has is used as soon as they get it! smile

:looks though huge pile of carp for an old radio...:
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 07:12 PM

My mom bought one of those belgian waffle makers and was giving up her old 1950's waffle maker. I claimed it quickly before my sister could - it makes wonderful waffles with my mom's waffle recipe! Kid wonder and I enjoy it greatly!

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: waldensouth
My mom bought one of those belgian waffle makers and was giving up her old 1950's waffle maker. I claimed it quickly before my sister could - it makes wonderful waffles with my mom's waffle recipe! Kid wonder and I enjoy it greatly!

seriously i was so ticked at my GE one.... frown

in fact i thought GE made good appliances, but I also had a coffee maker that was terrible made by them, and a friend of mine had stove, microwave, and frig that all malfunctioned by GE.

Needless to say I will never purchase a GE appliance/product.

I like LG they are the new GE :P

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 07:20 PM

ooh and yes old waffle makers are the best and they are cooked to perfection!!!

Re: Regifting - 11/30/11 07:20 PM

You'd better look back further in time than that TJ, if you plan on getting

a heartfelt thank you. smile

Re: Regifting - 12/08/11 05:15 PM

http://www.regiftable.com/Regifting101/Default.aspx?CMP=SNL-120811

Just so you know how to do it right... laugh
Posted By: BrendaC

Re: Regifting - 12/08/11 09:00 PM

Hey, if we're selling wedding dresses, I've got two that have never been worn and some new bridesmaids dresses too! (What can I say, daughters that make bad mistakes but at least realize it before they walk down the aisle--after mom pulls criminal report and reveals outstanding warrants. Oh yeah, that's how I roll!)