Mythbusters oops

Posted By: califgirl

Mythbusters oops - 12/07/11 06:03 PM

Just a little 'mishap.'

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/mythbusters-cannonball.html
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/07/11 06:05 PM

Yikes! I love Mythbusters and look forward to seeing the footage, if they air it. I am sure they have mega insurance policies to cover these mishaps, and their premiums likely will be going up. shocked
Posted By: Loralie

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/07/11 09:53 PM

I love that the neighbors "have gotten used to hearing explosions" lmao!
Posted By: cbu3

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 01:29 AM

I heard on the radio that the show has been suspended pending an investigation. I enjoy MythBusters and I hope it returns soon. One thing that I find interesting is that there are houses near the bomb range. Since the Government requires Flood insurance for houses in a designated flood plain, does it also require Bomb insurance for these houses?
Posted By: B_F

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Loralie
I love that the neighbors "have gotten used to hearing explosions" lmao!

I laughed when I read it too. Personally, I'd move smile
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: cbu3
I heard on the radio that the show has been suspended pending an investigation. I enjoy MythBusters and I hope it returns soon. One thing that I find interesting is that there are houses near the bomb range. Since the Government requires Flood insurance for houses in a designated flood plain, does it also require Bomb insurance for these houses?

"The impacted properties were found to be in the 500-year bomb plain, thus not required to hold any insurance." - Imaginary person in my mind that attempts to invent funny quotes.
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 06:17 PM

Fortunately, no one was hurt, and I don't think anyone was even home at the time. But I couldn't imagine receiving the phone call or coming home to find there has been an "mishap" involving my house, a cannonball, and the Mythbusters.
Posted By: BotV#6

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 06:20 PM

It's too bad the footage will not be seen. I'm guessing there are some lawyers involved.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 07:43 PM

From what I heard, the couple who live in the home were asleep when it happened and did not wake up until plaster started falling on them. The mini-van that the cannonball hit was occupied by a man and his teenage son.

I really like the show and am glad that no one was hurt. I am surprised that they did not have an adequate backstop. Any hunter or shooter knows that if you don't have an adequate backstop, you don't shoot. I always figured that as crazy as some of that stuff looks on TV, ultimately safety was a priority for them (at least the public's safety).

On the one show, they talk about how they have had to relocate several times due to issues with neighbors. I guess if you put two dead pigs in a Corvette and put it in a large container in the parking lot for a month, you have to expect that sort of thing.....
Posted By: manimal

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B

"The impacted properties were found to be in the 500-year bomb plain, thus not required to hold any insurance." - Imaginary person in my mind that attempts to invent funny quotes.

laugh Do you talk to this imaginary person often?
Posted By: PStateBank

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: manimal82

Looks like you should let this person out more often!!! ~That's funny!! grin
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 08:14 PM

Not often, he usually tells me to throw things at my co-workers, and HR has told me that I'm no longer allowed to do that.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 08:19 PM

Imaginary person in my mind that attempts to invent funny quotes.

Mine keeps me laughing all day. I frequently crack myself up.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 09:02 PM

Not often, he usually tells me to throw things at my co-workers, and HR has told me that I'm no longer allowed to do that.

Pffft! Our HR Dept lets us throw stuff as long as we either use our non-dominant hand or don't go through a full wind-up. laugh
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 09:44 PM

Holy Carp! I didn't know the couple was home and that the cannonball hit a minivan! They just went from being the Mythbusters to being the Three (or whatever number they are) Stooges.
Posted By: Dip

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 09:37 PM

I'm just surprised they had an unexpected result. I've seen the show twice maybe and just assumed the physics of all their experiements had already been figured otu so that they'd already knwo what would happen. Thsi stuff isn't magic, it's science...
Posted By: BotV#6

Re: Mythbusters oops - 12/08/11 10:17 PM

Science is theoritical, so there's always the possible of error.