Trip to Chicago

Posted By: esks

Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 04:31 PM

Okay... my mom, sister and I are going to take a trip to Chicago this Spring, most likely we'll take a long weekend, like Friday through Monday. We need ideas of things to do and see, and most importantly, where to eat!

GO!
Posted By: manimal

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 04:34 PM

Deek had a thread going about places to eat in Chi-town somewhere around here.....
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 04:29 PM

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1649283#Post1649283

You may disregard the abusive portions, enjoy. laugh

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 04:29 PM

The last time I was there, I went to the Navy Pier to watch the sailboats, it was lovely. smile
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 04:32 PM

last time I went I rented a car and re-enacted the car chase scene from the Blues Brothers on Wacker Dr., although without the cops...

if baseball is playing, wrigley field is a must...

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 04:45 PM

... if you like baseball... whistle
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
last time I went I rented a car and re-enacted the car chase scene from the Blues Brothers on Wacker Dr., although without the cops...

Rumer has it that Manchester United will be playing at wrigley field in the summer...

Fixed
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 05:43 PM

Have a Ferris Bueller weekend. Go to a game. Eat some Chicago deep dish pizza. Go to Sears (Willis, whatever it is) tower. I'm not big into art, but the Art institute was fantastic, highly recommended.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 05:32 PM

Shedd Aquarium is a big draw in Chicago, I think.

I'm glad you asked this question, we might do a Chicago trip (on the train!) next year.
Posted By: QCL

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 05:50 PM

if baseball is playing, wrigley field is a must...

And if they are not playing, you can tour the field for $10! PQ and I harassed the tour guide with our non-love of the Cubs. smile Then the Goose Island Beer Co. across the street serves up a delicious "Cubby Blue" beer.

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 06:37 PM

Art Institute
Sears Tower (Willis mad ) on a clear day if possible
Navy Pier - Ride the giant ferris wheel!
Take in a game if you can at any stadium and enjoy a Chicago-style hot dog (with grilled onions)
Go see Millenium Park, see the Bean and Buckingham Fountain
Walk along the lake if the weather is nice
Check to see what the Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry are exhibiting
Shopping on Michigan Avenue

cool
Posted By: NotPerfect

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 06:48 PM

I wasn't that impressed with the Shedd. Want to go to the Field Museum the next time we head that way with the kids.
Posted By: DEL

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 07:16 PM

We went to the Field Museum last summer - it is always great, but we especially loved the T-Rex Sue exhibit.

At Thanksgiving we went to the Science museum and saw the u-Boat. If you're at all interested in military equipment and history, you will find it well worth the time. There was also a Dr. Seuss exhibit that I really enjoyed - don't know if it is still there or not.

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 07:06 PM

There's also Lincoln Park Zoo, but if you could make the trip out to the suburbs, the Brookfield Zoo is really nice smile

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 07:40 PM

Thanks for all of the ideas, gang!

Happy - I enjoy baseball, but I'd feel guilty going without the hubs. Especially going to Wrigley. (When hubs and I went to NYC, we had to hit a Mets game and a Yankees game!)

I think one of the Seguey (sp?) tours would be fun, but I'm not sure my mom would think so!
Posted By: kitten

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 07:33 PM

I did a Segway tour in DC last spring. It was a BLAST!!!! They give you time to practice before they take you out. Your mom will be fine.

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 07:37 PM

If you feel like splurging in the evening, there are horse-drawn carriage rides around the city too smile
Posted By: Dip

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: esks
I think one of the Seguey (sp?) tours would be fun, but I'm not sure my mom would think so!

My friend went and rented bikes to ride along the water and recommended it, so it's a must on my list when I go (2013 hopefully).
Posted By: Loralie

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 09:28 PM

Lincoln Park zoo was really nice, I love Michigan ave, as much for the shopping as for the people watching. smile
Posted By: Patriot

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 10:09 PM

Quote:

Hap, make that Lower Wacker Drive! As Elwood said, "This is definitely Lower Wacker Drive . . "
Posted By: #12

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/20/12 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: esks
Thanks for all of the ideas, gang!

Happy - I enjoy baseball, but I'd feel guilty going without the hubs. Especially going to Wrigley. (When hubs and I went to NYC, we had to hit a Mets game and a Yankees game!)

I did not feel guilty at all touring Wrigley without the hubby. I even texted him a picture of the sign before the tour. I'm a mean evil wife! smile smile
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 04:55 PM

Take one of the boat tours on the river. You get to see some of that amazing architecture, and it's fun too!
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 05:24 PM

What is your definition of spring? It is cold up there until late June or July. Summer last about 2 weeks.

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
What is your definition of spring? It is cold up there until late June or July. Summer last about 2 weeks.

Hey! mad laugh

Once we hit May, it's a pretty safe bet that there won't be any more snow. In March (and October) you can have any season... and sometimes you get all four within 24 hours!
Posted By: B_F

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 06:41 PM

Lincoln Park Zoo is free, but super tiny and when I went it was a waste of time and the money it cost me to park.

Brookfield Zoo, on the other hand was amazing. The dolphin show there blew the Shed's out of the water! (and that's somewhat literal, not figurative).

The campus of all the museums is really nice, but that's enough stuff to last you a week or two! smile

Eat a Chicago Style Vienna Hot Dog. Go see the UFO that landed in Soldier Field. smile

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 07:18 PM

By Spring I mean April. We're hardy, and used to experiencing four seasons in 24 hours!
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 07:24 PM

if baseball is playing, The Cell to see the White Sox is a must

My son and his friends call Lincoln Park Zoo the Animal Torture Zoo, due to the small cages.

I like the Museum of Science and Industry, but if you're only going for a weekend, I'd skip it, because there's so much to see inside you'll kill a whole day. I'd only go if it's raining. I was mugged and had my lunch money stolen on a sixth grade field trip inside the giant walkthrough heart, but don't let that stop you from going.

The boat tours on the river are a great way to see the city.

If you're strolling Michigan Avenue, stop in the Billy Goat Tavern for a "cheeseburger cheeseburger" or maybe just a cold Old Style.

For breakfast, find the nearest Ann Sather. http://www.annsather.com/ Cinnamon rolls to die for.

For dinner, it has to be pizza. Gino's East was my favorite in my younger days, but Giordano's good too, and just naming places usually starts an argument.

Second City is great for late night comedy.

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 07:26 PM

I've also heard good things about the Botanical Gardens... especically if you like to take photographs.
Posted By: FBH

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 08:36 PM

I think Gene & Georgette's is one of my favorite places in Chicago!!!

Gino's East makes a good deep dish pie too!!
Posted By: FBH

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 08:48 PM

Sorry, it's Gene & Georgetti - great steakhouse!!!
Posted By: Loralie

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 08:53 PM

One thing to remember about chicago- DOn't drive unless you have too. Take the train, or Park at the hotel, and leave your car there the whole time. walk, take cabs, or public transport- It's actually cheaper to take a cab to most places then it is to drive there and try and park.

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 08:57 PM

Yes and if you do drive/park... beware of the automated parking meters! And permit parking too--those signs are practially in a different language with all the times and dates and letters...
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Trip to Chicago - 01/23/12 09:41 PM

It will snow up there in April!