One for the Money

Posted By: RR Sarah

One for the Money - 01/27/12 04:56 PM

While I'm not a big fan of watching movies that are based on books that I have read, I am making plans with my sister to see One for the Money this weekend. Any other Stephanie Plum fans heading to the movies this weekend?
Posted By: PStateBank

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 04:45 PM

I want to go see it, but I don't know if I will be able to or not. (I have two funerals to attend this weekend)
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 04:59 PM

What else can folks that live within a few miles of the arctic circle do in the winter?
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 04:46 PM

I didn't realize it was coming out this weekend. I'll probably wait for your review. smile

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 05:05 PM

Good one Pale!

Becca - I can't decide if I should do a quick reread of the book or just go with it and not be too critical.
Posted By: joyfulone

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 05:01 PM

Heading there tomorrow night with a couple of friends. We have read all the books and are Ranger Fans. Although, I know movie-wise I'll be a Morelli fan because he was cast so much better than Ranger.
Posted By: Dip

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 05:13 PM

Half-price tickets to see it were on Groupon the other day. I don't knwo anyone around here that woudl want to see it, so I'll probably just wait for DVD.
Posted By: kms

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 05:34 PM

I am going to see it this weekend. I don't care for the casting but I just can't resist!
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 05:26 PM

didn't see half-price tickets and I'm scared about going to see it. None of the characters 'cept Lula seem to fit the images in my head.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 06:17 PM

I'll wait to hear y'all's reviews. I am so disappointed in the casting that I'll wait and see what other people who like the stories think of it.

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 06:57 PM

If I go I will make sure to report in on Monday. smile
Posted By: Coming to Grips

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 06:54 PM

I am so excited to see this movie! I hope it's good. I love the books and will be disappointed if the movie doesn't hold true.

Those books make me laugh out loud sometimes. Hilarious!

Also interested to see how Ranger looks on screen. whistle
Posted By: PStateBank

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Coming to Grips
Also interested can't wait to see how amazing Ranger looks on screen. whistle

fixed it for you grin
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 09:13 PM

I have the book but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Maybe I should see the movie and then read it. Then I can picture them as the characters are being portrayed. Then I won't be disappointed. Read Twilight after it had been cast so as I was reading those books I could visualize the people as in the movie.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 09:15 PM

I'm going on Wednesday night with a girlfriend. I'm going to do my best to separate the book from the movie. I didnt do a re-read. That way I wont be too disappointed.
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
What else can folks that live within a few miles of the arctic circle do in the winter?

who lives near the arctic circle?!?!

I am planning a trip to Fairbanks in November
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: One for the Money - 01/27/12 09:11 PM

If you are in a Marcus Theaters market, they will not being showing the movie...
Posted By: kms

Re: One for the Money - 01/29/12 04:23 AM

Ok I saw it today and was very disappointed. It wasn't even good as just a movie, let alone one take from a great series of books. Thank goodness I only paid matinee prices

Re: One for the Money - 01/29/12 06:41 PM

Thanks for the warning! Maybe when it gets to the dollar theater I'll think about going.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 01:54 AM

DIL asked me to go with her because we'd both read the books. Mildly entertaining. Character choices grew on me as the movie went on and I disassociated what I'd read from what I was seeing. Don't think you have to worry about seeing any of the rest of the books tho. which is too bad because Lula had about ten minutes of screen time total.
Posted By: manimal

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 01:37 PM

I've not read these books... but how disappointing for Evanovich's readers. Movie rights are where writers can make the big bucks, and if the first one stinks, there probably won't be more. frown
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Thanks for the warning! Maybe when it gets to the dollar theater I'll think about going.

our dollar theater cost $5.00

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 02:30 PM

I didn't hate it but...wait for it to come out on DVD. There was something just a little off about Katherine Heigl's Stephanie Plum. She had a blank look on her face for most of the movie. Didn't warm up to the guy that portrayed Morelli. Didn't hate Daniel Sunjata as Ranger and Sherri Shepard as Lula was a good casting. Stephanie's parents and Grandma Mazur...bleh.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 03:07 PM

So instead of going to see it with my girlfriend Wednesday night we should just go have drinks?
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 02:58 PM

Well that may kill my plans for Saturday night! smile
Posted By: Dip

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 03:13 PM

My friend saw it and thought it was fun. I guess it just depends on the person and perhaps what they were expecting.

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 03:27 PM

IDK Jen, I hate to tell you yes or no. Admittedly I am a harsh critic when it comes to movies based on books that I have read. Like I said, I didn't hate it. Oh, and it is short. About an hour and a half.

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.

our dollar theater cost $5.00

Ours is I think $1.75, except on Mondays when it is 50 cents.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 03:41 PM

So, it's not really a dollar theater then? whistle wink
Posted By: joyfulone

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 03:42 PM

Went this weekend with a couple of friends who have also read the books. It wasn't the best movie made from a book I've seen, but it wasn't the worst either. I've always been a Ranger fan and was disapointed with who they cast, but he grew on me throughout the movie.
Posted By: Ready to Retire

Re: One for the Money - 01/30/12 06:30 PM

Saw it on Saturday. It was Ok. Had a few funny moments. I was disappointed in the guy who played Vinnie and the one who played Morelli. He wasn't sexy enough I guess. I think the problem was that I had preconceived notions of what these characters should look like. I think if there could be more movies with these characters they would grow on me but I don't think that will happen. Lula was great but like someone else said she only had about 10 minutes of the whole movie. She actually looked like I thought she should.
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: One for the Money - 03/06/12 09:11 PM

Have the books but haven't gotten around to reading them. So I thought it was funny. The same thing will happen as it did with the Twilight Books - saw the movie then read the books. So I will picture the characters as the movie was cast. Morelli wasn't bad - after all he is a cop, but he wasn't a total hunk. Something about him reminded me a little of the character Mel Gibson played in the Lethal Weapon series. I thought it was fun and light an a nice evening away from taxes and work. Won't win any awards, but only a few movies do that.