Posted By: VWgirl21

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 01:57 PM

I am going to see it tonight!
Posted By: chenin

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 02:09 PM

I want to see it this weekend.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 02:11 PM

Heard an interview with the Director (Gary Ross) and Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss) - they expect to start filming the 2nd book in September. smile
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 02:15 PM

I personally play this game six times a day
Posted By: Aggs

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 02:23 PM

Going to see it Monday with a coworker! laugh So excited. We're taking a few personal hours off to see if during the day.
Posted By: Dip

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 04:54 PM

I'll see it when I finish the book. I read slow and am not even to page 100 yet. I liek the book so far but not super keen on the whoel first person present tense thing. But I'm def hooked on the story.
Posted By: Bluesfan57

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 05:14 PM

saw it last night at 12:25, didnt get home till after 3am...... it is rather entertaining.

as always parts had to be left out but it was still good
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Bluesfan57
saw it last night at 12:25, didnt get home till after 3am......

Is that why the coffee maker has been running non-stop all day? laugh

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/23/12 06:31 PM

im on the mio energy kick right not

the cheaters way to drink water grin

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/25/12 09:00 PM

So for those who saw it - thoughts??

I thought they did a good job overall. I do think the book was more intense / scarier (ie the Muttations.) But the film was still good.

Some things I really liked were seeing the Gamesmakers behind the scenes and the scenes between Seneca Crane & President Snow. I thought that was smart and a good set-up for the next 2 films. I liked the slight change to the ending with Peeta & Katniss too, it wasn't as sad as the book.

Some things I wished they had done differently - I wish they had made the final scene in the Arena more intense, as it was in the book. I also wish they had spent a couple more minutes on the relationship with Rue and the relationship between Katniss & Peeta.
Posted By: arye23

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 12:01 PM

Saw the movie Saturday. Loved it! Now we have to read the books. My wife finished the first one in 6 hours, now I'm on it. We had to order the second from Amazon because everyone in town was sold out. It will be in on Wednesday and we can't wait!!
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 01:16 PM

The only thing I really didn't like was that it had too much camera motion - difficult to follow the action with all that moving around. Kinda gave me a headache.
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 01:59 PM

Saw it Sunday with my daughter. She's read the books, I haven't. I thought the first half was kind of slow, but the second half moved really well. She enjoyed it, said they stayed fairly true to the book.

The entire movie was shot in NC. I've been to several areas that they shot in - around Hendersonville. Beautiful country up there in the mountains. They expect tourism to pick up as people come to see where the movie was made.

I really enjoyed the trailer for the new Avengers movie and am looking forward to that.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 02:02 PM

Next film is projected to be out November 2013!

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 02:28 PM

I saw the film on Friday and although I liked it it was just missing someting. I think it is because I loved the books so much. I know they had to squeezed a lot into 2 and 1/2 hours.

Really my only complaint is all the teeny boppers who screamed everytime Josh Huterson came on screen. He is from my area which probably the reason for the super hype.
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 02:34 PM

I have noticed that this film has received a lot of following. I must say that I saw the trailer a few months back and had not desire to see the film at all.

Maybe I will catch it for free on TBS five years from now and change my mind.
Posted By: B_F

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 02:35 PM

The actor who plays Peeta is from the Cincinnati area, so the girls are going crazy about him here.

I haven't seen it yet, but can someone tell me what the minimum age you'd recommend for this movie would be? We have a 9 year old who REALLY wants to come with the rest of the family to see this, and I am just not sure that it is even close to appropriate.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 02:39 PM

The subject matter in the context of your question is a fight to the death among 13 to 18 year old kids. That being said, the violence is very muted, or after the fact. You'll have to make the judgement about nine, but It's not that bad.
Posted By: Loralie

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 02:53 PM

My 10 year old has anxiety issues and nightmares on a regular basis, and she read the books and saw the movie and hasn't had a single problem. In fact, she's more than a little obsessed. smile

I havn't seen the movie yet (going tonight!!) but she said the violence isn't really that bad, and the only even kinda bloody part is the "bloodbath" at the Cornucopia.
Posted By: Glutes

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 02:55 PM

Saw movie yesterday. Enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about the books until the hype over the movie kicked into high gear these past several weeks. Went Sunday morning. Asked the ticket lady if this particular time slot was packed. She said, "No, it's early in the morning". I walk in and the theater room is freaking packed. A few empty seats here and there. Usher (movie usher, not Let it Burn Usher) had to find you a seat.

Interestingly, lot's of adults and old grey haired people there.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the movie.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: B_F
The actor who plays Peeta is from the Cincinnati area, so the girls are going crazy about him here.

I haven't seen it yet, but can someone tell me what the minimum age you'd recommend for this movie would be? We have a 9 year old who REALLY wants to come with the rest of the family to see this, and I am just not sure that it is even close to appropriate.

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad for a 9YO. The bloodshed is not glorified or gratuitous (sp?!), or really, even shown all that much. And I'm pretty picky about what my kids are allowed to see.

[Prior to actually seeing it I would have said absolutely not, but I thought they handled it well.]

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Glutes
Saw movie yesterday. Enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about the books until the hype over the movie kicked into high gear these past several weeks. Went Sunday morning. Asked the ticket lady if this particular time slot was packed. She said, "No, it's early in the morning". I walk in and the theater room is freaking packed. A few empty seats here and there. Usher (movie usher, not Let it Burn Usher) had to find you a seat.

I went to the earliest matinee yesterday AM, and there was a huge line to get in. I have NEVER seen that many people at a very early show. I think the only open seats together were on the very front row, and even then there were maybe 2 sets of 2 together. Everything else in the theater was single seats only, and not many of those.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:04 PM

I researched it online (Plugged in Family Review) and then looked at the You Tube clips.

What's on You Tube is rather graphic, but wasn't in the movie.

Not sure if those are director cuts on Youtube or what.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:10 PM

so help me out (because I'm too lazy to do any research)

is this an action flick, a chick flick, a combination?
Posted By: manimal

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Moderate
I have noticed that this film has received a lot of following. I must say that I saw the trailer a few months back and had not desire to see the film at all.

Maybe I will catch it for free on TBS five years from now and change my mind.

Have you read the books? That is the cause for a lot of the hype, similar to the Twilight and Harry Potter series--although these books are NOT supernatural/paranormal love stories. They are young adult though, which may be why they aren't on your radar?

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers

It's kind of a teenage version of "The Running Man".

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:14 PM

Definitely young adult, futuristic (post-apocolyptic) sci-fi is how I would classify it.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:15 PM

As I understand it, they filmed many more scenes of graphic violence but had to cut them out in order to get a young teen friendly rating in the UK.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Swimware

Two future Governors and Richard Dawson?
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:26 PM

I bet they include those scenes in the DVD which will sell a TON.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit

Two future Governors and Richard Dawson?

was it just me or did Richard Dawson seem too overly enthusiastic when it came to kissing young women?

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:28 PM

He did marry a contestant on Family feud.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:36 PM

Saw the movie Friday night. Absolutely, positively loved it! Now I'm going to read the books. After I buy a Kindle with my tax returns.
Posted By: Glutes

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Originally Posted By: Glutes

I went to the earliest matinee yesterday AM, and there was a huge line to get in. I have NEVER seen that many people at a very early show. I think the only open seats together were on the very front row, and even then there were maybe 2 sets of 2 together. Everything else in the theater was single seats only, and not many of those.

I arrived 20 minutes before movie start time of 11:40 AM. There was no line. Parking lot didn't even seem that packed. Went to the concession stand and waited behind one person. Grabbed my popcorn and drink and headed to the theater room and what is there to greet me? A packed crowd! Was not expecting that AFTER the ticket lady told me that it wouldn't be packed. For a few seconds there while I was standing hugging my tub of popcorn, holding my drink, and looking up at the packed crowd, and contemplated leaving (to see it at a later time). I refuse to watch a movie sitting up in the front section having to stare up at the screen and look from side to side. Fortunately, the usher said follow me and walked up, rather than down. Ended up with pretty good seats too smile.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 04:05 PM

Great description of the books. Teenage angst, love and the running man!

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 04:09 PM

I think of it as Survivor meets "The Lottery".
Posted By: A_G

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 04:17 PM

I don't know much of anything about it, but from the preview I saw on TV, I agree with EGB, it looks like "The Lottery" was ripped off a little.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 04:38 PM

per Wiki: "Collins says that the inspiration to write The Hunger Games came from channel surfing on television. On one channel she observed people competing on a reality show and on another she saw footage of the invasion of Iraq. The two "began to blur in this very unsettling way" and the idea for the book was formed. The Greek myth of Theseus served as basis for the story, with Collins describing Katniss as a futuristic Theseus, and that Roman gladiatorial games formed the framework. The sense of loss that Collins developed through her father's service in the Vietnam War also affected the story, whose heroine lost her father at age eleven, five years before the story begins. Collins stated that the deaths of the young characters and other "dark passages" were the hardest parts of the book to write, but she had accepted she would be writing such scenes. She considered the moments where Katniss reflects on happier moments in her past to be the more enjoyable passages to write."

Just thought it was interesting.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:07 PM

She left out the part where her husband came in and turned the channel to "The Running Man", wherin she decided that would be an awesome idea for a book. laugh

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:08 PM

She left out the part where her husband came in and turned the channel to "The Running Man", wherin she decided that would be an awesome idea for a book. laugh

lolz

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:15 PM

I'm about halfway through the book now. DEf hooked....can't wait to finish it and then go see the movie smile

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:20 PM

I would pefer to read the Running Man

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:29 PM

Well, it was written by Stephen King.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: waldensouth
Well, it was written by Stephen King.

Talk about a good weeks work.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:37 PM

Insert hipster comment about "Battle Royale" here.

smirk

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:38 PM

OMG Insomnia has to be one of the longest Stephen King books EVER!!!
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:39 PM

That book was brutal....

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:39 PM

It was one of his early works and I must say that I enjoyed those more than some of his recent books.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:41 PM

I agree, Walden.

Earlier King = way better

I mean, come on - The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon???

A Stephen King "novel" really?? smirk
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:41 PM

Insert hipster comment about "Battle Royale" here.

smirk

Oh Snap!

My daughter and her friends have had Battle Royale viewing parties after getting an imported DVD. It's kind of a Rocky Horror Picture Show for the young set.
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 05:44 PM

Took my daughter to a theater that was playing it on 4 screens. We got there at 4:05, I asked if tickets for the 4 pm show were still available, otherwise we would wait til 4:30. Got tickets for the 4 pm show, walked into a theater that wasn't even half full.
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 08:00 PM

Hubby and I went Saturday to the 4:00 show, about 3/4 full. Liked the movie (haven't read the books but now I want to) but I don't do well with that much action/suspense/etc, I needed to get up and walk around during part of it to release tension but "they frown on that at movie theatres". crazy Looked over at my hubby a couple of times and he had the same expression on his face.

That being said, the movie has been running around in my brain since I saw it so I would say it's a good movie.
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 09:37 PM

Corky! So good to see you posting! smile I'm going to see it Wednesday evening after work with a friend. After reading all three books, I can't wait to see how the movie measures up.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/26/12 09:40 PM

3 hours and counting!! smile
Posted By: The Minion

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 11:52 AM

I read the 3 books a few months ago and loved them! That being said, I didn't enjoy the movie as much. I guess I had high expectations. Peeta was way too small, I didn't feel the disgust about the killing like I did while reading. It was ok, but lacking something. BTW, 8 theaters Saturday all sold out.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 12:03 PM

I'm hungry right now, and that is no game...

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 12:33 PM

Get off my back Happy! mad

wink

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 12:34 PM

shocked

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Devil Minion

wink

sorry, didn't realize there wasn't enough room for me and all that hair. I thought I was on a shag carpet... sick

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

wink

sorry, didn't realize there wasn't enough room for me and all that hair. I thought I was on a shag carpet... sick

You're confusing me with my boss. smirk

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 01:01 PM

i thought she was the one with big hair, you were the one with back hair... crazy

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 01:12 PM

I really enjoyed the movie.

I was concerned about Woody Harrelson being Haymitch, but thats just cause in my head I had him looking much older. I was plesantly surprised. I'm glad they changed the mutts at the end, that really creeped me out in the book, wasn't looking forward to seeing it in the movie.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 02:09 PM

I was wondering how the mutts were going to be protrayed in the movie too. And I agree, I liked the change.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 02:18 PM

See, I didn't like the change on the Mutts - I thought they were MUCH scarier and more impactful in the book, and it sets up some of the stuff for the 2nd book (Katniss' nightmares and Peeta's comforting her, which deepens their relationship, which in turn feeds into part of why she is so determined to help him later on.)

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 02:51 PM

I jumped about a million feet when that first dog popped out of the woods. The BF said the whole theatre did. That would still give me nightmares.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 06:20 PM

i thought she was the one with big hair, you were the one with back hair... crazy

Now I know the problem. You were thinking about Peepers! Me, I'm the short fluffy Italian lady who talks too much. grin

I was very disappointed with the mutts. I did not walk away from that movie the way I felt from the book. I found the whole thing lacking.

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 06:28 PM

Now I know the problem. You were thinking about Peepers! Me, I'm the short fluffy Italian lady who talks too much. grin

I though that the boss was Snookie smile

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 07:00 PM

That would make Minion Deena. Meatball problems...
Posted By: Carolina Blue

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 08:34 PM

I saw it Friday (at gf's prompting). I listened to the books (again at he gf's prompting). I like the movie and thought it did a good job of portraying the books as well as possible.

One thing I think it missed on or maybe I missed it was the gravity of the actual hunting. The movie seemed to portray it more as kids playing in the woods without consequences rather than kids with an understanding of death and the severity of their situation.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 08:36 PM

Look it up on YouTube and you'll see it much differently

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/27/12 08:59 PM

Yeah, I think they sidelined the actual blood & gore as much as possible so that they could get the PG-13 rating in the US and a teen-friendly rating in the UK. I do think it rather lessened the impact of the film, but for those who have read the book, it may not really matter that much.
Posted By: esks

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 06:23 PM

Going to see it today!

Hubs and I went to see it on Sunday, but the 12:00, 12:30 and 3:00 were all sold out. We ended up seeing 21 Jump Street instead, which we thought was hilarious!
Posted By: Sci_Comply

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 06:28 PM

This last weekend, all the theatres in the area were sold out, both days. I'm going to see it this coming Sunday and I'm stoked! I even made myself a little Mockingjay necklace pendant to wear. smile It's been a while since I've read the books so I might enjoy the movie more than those than just read it.
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 06:30 PM

I was going to go see it tonight with a friend, but the Wednesday night 7pm show was sold out when I tried to buy our tix yesterday! Wednesday night?!?! We thought for sure we'd be ok in the middle of the week. So... we're going tomorrow night instead. I bought the tickets online yesterday. I'm so bummed that I have to wait 30 hours instead of less than 6 hours. smile Silly, right?

Like you, Sci_Comply, it's been a little while since I read them, so I'm really looking forward to diving back into that world.
Posted By: Aggs

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 07:26 PM

I saw it on Monday and LOVED it. I've read the first two books and I'm on the third now. I thought they did an awesome job with the movie. A lot of the scenes were just as I pictured them in my head. I got goosebumps when they rode in on their chariot and were on fire. smile

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 07:48 PM

I'll be finishing the first book tonight. I'm on page 303. Can't wait to see hwo it ends, though at this point I knwo they survive. I was thinkign abotu seeing it on a weeknight too, to avoid the teen crowd if possible...hoep I don't have the trouble BurntSienna had!

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Dip
I'll be finishing the first book tonight. I'm on page 303. Can't wait to see hwo it ends, though at this point I knwo they survive. I was thinkign abotu seeing it on a weeknight too, to avoid the teen crowd if possible...hoep I don't have the trouble BurntSienna had!

Spoiler alert

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MB Guy

Spoiler alert

No, this thread and the media ruined it for me. The book has given no indication of whether or not they survive yet...

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 08:40 PM

Well, there are three books...

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 08:42 PM

You ruined it madfor me they died in the first book. smile

I will keep on reading the classics

Re: Hunger Games? - 03/28/12 09:33 PM

For all I knew, the next oen was about Gale and the third about Prim, lol laugh
Posted By: Snow Bunny

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/11/12 12:49 PM

Finished the book last night, going to see the movie tonight. I don't see what all of the hype is about. It's nothing like the Dragon Tattoo series that I couldn't put down. Hope the movie is good.
Posted By: Quadspapa

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/11/12 03:03 PM

Haven't read the books, but did enjoy the movie last weekend. Theatre was fairly full.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/11/12 03:24 PM

I read the book last summer, and was looking forward to the movie. The movie was good, but having read the book previously, it really made the movie anti-climactic.

I believe that I will wait until the next movie comes out and not read the next two books, although I enjoyed the books.

I did hear the Dragon Tattoo books were very good reads, however.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/11/12 03:33 PM

I really enjoyed Jennifer Lawrence in the movie.
I cried a lot. laugh

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/12/12 03:37 AM

I liked the movie much better than the book.

No tears.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/26/12 04:46 PM

Super excited...my mom's almost done reading the book so we'll get to see the movie this weekend!

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/26/12 05:16 PM

I've read the whole series. Excellent!

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/26/12 05:58 PM

I plan to read the next two btu I am super put off by the fact that they are ONLY availabel on hardcover even though they were released in 2009 and 2010. Such a ripoff! (And yes, I prefer books to readers...).
Posted By: PStateBank

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/26/12 07:21 PM

I loved the movie. Jennifer Lawrence was perfect as Katniss.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/26/12 07:26 PM

I plan to read the next two btu I am super put off by the fact that they are ONLY availabel on hardcover even though they were released in 2009 and 2010. Such a ripoff! (And yes, I prefer books to readers...).

Two Words.... PUBLIC LIBRARY!
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/26/12 07:33 PM

Saw all three at Wal Mart last night in paperback. I've seen them at Sam's and a couple of other places in paperback as well. I think someone is trying to sell you an overpriced book!
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/26/12 07:42 PM

Dip only shops on Craigslistâ„¢ so unless the paperbacks have shown up there, she'll never know.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/26/12 07:57 PM

By now - they should be on craig's list.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/27/12 04:36 PM

What? I went to a coupel bookstores and all they had was hardcover, so I checked Amazon.com and same thing...onyl hardcover. And Costco only had the 1st one in paperback, the third in hard, and none of the second.

BF, I tried the library...I woudl be number 600-somethign on the waitlist...

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/27/12 05:18 PM

Dip is correct; the only PB versions on Amazon or B&N are large print.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/27/12 06:15 PM

What? I went to a coupel bookstores and all they had was hardcover, so I checked Amazon.com and same thing...onyl hardcover. And Costco only had the 1st one in paperback, the third in hard, and none of the second.

BF, I tried the library...I woudl be number 600-somethign on the waitlist...

You have a big grocery store near you, right? Walmart? They have all the books in trade-paperback for like $5.74!

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/27/12 07:57 PM

I'll have to check out WalMart I guess. I looked at Costco, Target, Barnes and Noble, and Amazon. Figured if they didn't have it, then it simply didn't exist. Go figure.

In any case, super excited to se the movie tomorrow with my mommy smile

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/27/12 07:57 PM

If you cry during movies, bring your tissues.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/27/12 08:09 PM

I didn't cry.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/27/12 08:25 PM

If you like books like The Hunger Games about a dystopian futuristic society, the Maze Runner trilogy is also a great series. I loved them!

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 05:46 PM

OK, so saw the movie, cried during Rue's death, and really enjoyed the whoel thing. Having read the book, I coudl fill in what the movie skipped or changed. In fact, I felt the movie was a great accompaniment to the book but wonder hwo well I woudl have enjoyed the movie having not read the book previously.

My one complaint...I did nto liek the movie Katniss. She was nto as strong and deliberate as she was in the book. Seemed a little weak and more outwardly scared than I imagined. A firend said she seemed slackjawed. Anyone else feel this way?
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 05:52 PM

We went to it, neither of us having read the book. It wasn't difficult to follow or understand at all, I didn't think. May have enjoyed it more if I'd read the book and such, but may have just nit-picked it too.

No crying, but we're heartless people, so that's normal.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 06:41 PM

I thought Katniss was good and did a good job.

I did not care for the book, but LOVED the movie and it made me read the rest of the trilogy.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 06:44 PM

My one complaint...I did nto liek the movie Katniss. She was nto as strong and deliberate as she was in the book. Seemed a little weak and more outwardly scared than I imagined. A firend said she seemed slackjawed. Anyone else feel this way?

I thought she was ok as Katniss, but not how I had her mentally pictured either. I also thought the actor playing Gale was atrocious. Peeta's actor was great and I'm surprised to say that I really liked Lenny's version of Cinna. I'm just glad that they didn't cast Kristen Stewart as Katniss. wink

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 06:46 PM

Agree with Peeta and Cinna.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 06:49 PM

I really liked Jennifer Lawrence. I thought she held the whole thing together. If K-Stew had played her, I honestly don't think I would have gone to see it.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 07:04 PM

Or Katherine Heigl.

I wasn't sure about Jennifer Lawrence when she was cast. But after I saw the preview I thought she'd do all right. And she was pretty good! I also thought Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) did a really good job.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 07:17 PM

I didn't care for the guy who played Peeta.

Just didn't fit who I imagined in my head for some reason.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 07:19 PM

Actually, he is Exactly how I imagined Peeta.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 07:24 PM

Or Katherine Heigl.

I wasn't sure about Jennifer Lawrence when she was cast. But after I saw the preview I thought she'd do all right. And she was pretty good! I also thought Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) did a really good job.

Agreed. She was also very good in "Winter's Bone", although she was sort of playing the same character or parts thereof.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Sunny'Bunny
Actually, he is Exactly how I imagined Peeta.

When I read the book, Peeta seemed to be more delicate or naive something. The actor who played him seemed a little more street smart.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 07:31 PM

I love how people are already talking about being on "Team Peeta" or "Team Gale". crazy laugh

ETA: By people, I mean the fans.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: manimal
I love how people are already talking about being on "Team Peeta" or "Team Gale". crazy laugh

ETA: By people, I mean the fans.

And you are?? (Team Peeta or Gale)

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:02 PM

Team Peeta here. I liked him much more than Gale; especially in the later books.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:05 PM

Definitely Team Peeta!

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:09 PM

Having only read the first book, I'm Team Gale smile

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: PStateBank

Eehhhh... I have mixed feelings. In a world where she was never sent to the HG, she would have been with Gale. But because of HG and how it changed her (and Peeta), their bond was something Gale could never breach. I know, I read WAY too much into these.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:15 PM

They should practice selective breeding in the hopes that they produce the strongest offspring, in the event that their kid should ever be chosen/to assist in the uprising to overthrow the evil aristocracy that has poor fashion sense.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:16 PM

I was Team Gale for part of the first book, but I am Team Peeta now. wink

Mani- I agree, she and Gale depended on each other for physical survival (they made a great team), but she and Peeta came to depend on each other for physical and emotional survival. I think Peeta gave her love and attention Gale never showed.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B
They should practice selective breeding in the hopes that they produce the strongest offspring, in the event that their kid should ever be chosen/to assist in the uprising to overthrow the evil aristocracy that has poor fashion sense.

Read the books, Matt. Some of your hypotheses will be tested. smile

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Sci_Comply

I thought she was ok as Katniss, but not how I had her mentally pictured either. I also thought the actor playing Gale was atrocious. Peeta's actor was great and I'm surprised to say that I really liked Lenny's version of Cinna. I'm just glad that they didn't cast Kristen Stewart as Katniss. wink

Ok was exactly what I said. She was almost too emotionally invested in Peeta in the movie. I like how detached she was in a way during the books, and it bothered me a bit that they removed the whole "pretend to love him" aspect for the most part. No secret messages, just straight forward. Bleh.

Gale's actor was ok. Peeta's actor was good, but not as emotionally invested in Katniss as I would like.

Overall, I preferred the books.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:19 PM

Eehhhh... I have mixed feelings. In a world where she was never sent to the HG, she would have been with Gale. But because of HG and how it changed her (and Peeta), their bond was something Gale could never breach. I know, I read WAY too much into these.

Well also because
Click to reveal..
Katniss was never going to be able to recover from losing Prim and the potential that Gale had a role in that. There is no way she was ever going to forgive him for that, whether or not it was his idea that led to it. She believed he played a role, and that was it for any lingering romance she felt for him.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:20 PM

Totally agree Mani. Had they not gone to the HG, Katniss and Peeta never would have really known each other.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:23 PM

The actor portraying Gale did NOT look like the Gale I had in my head as I read the books. That was disappointing to me.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:24 PM

Well also because

Good point! I think they drifting before that too. She just couldn't be her 'old' self after what happened. She had changed. And then Gale did too, maybe for the worse.

Also, I don't think she ever really loved either of them.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:26 PM

Was the cycle deemed to repeat itself? Peeta's father loved Katniss's mother (were they ever together or did he love her from afar?), and she married Katniss's father (the coalminer instead of the baker). Peeta loved Katniss from afar, but the same thing would have happened, Katniss marrying a coalminer (Gale- her description was he was big and strong, so he could work in the mines) instead of the baker, but the HG changed the "course of history" so to say.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:26 PM

Read the books, Matt. Some of your hypotheses will be tested. smile

I'll wait for the next movie smile Or if someone wants to record a reading of it, that's fine too!

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:30 PM

Interesting thoughts PState!

It's always fun to try and figure out what the author intended and didn't intend....

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:33 PM

I missed that the first time I read the books, I just re-read HG, and it hit me.

Re: Hunger Games? - 04/30/12 08:42 PM

But in the first book, Katniss said she would never marry becuase she wouldn't bring children into the world to be forced to deal with Hunger Games or buy teseare(SP?).

I think she grew to love Peeta during the HG. Several times when they started kissing etc, she couldn't describe how she felt. She grew to love him.

Re: Hunger Games? - 05/01/12 12:05 PM

Participating in the Hunger Games together skewed them a bit. I think that's why Katniss was confused about Peeta and Gale, too. Gale wasn't there. Katniss and Peeta had a special bond. Her earlier bond with Gale just wasn't as strong after the HG.

I pictured Peeta bigger. He was described as stronger and larger than the other kids.

Re: Hunger Games? - 05/01/12 01:10 PM

Did I imagine this, or did Katniss say or think that she and Gale would have eventually ended up together - Maybe not married and with kids, but still together.

I agree Sunny- Katniss had different feelings for Peeta, she couldn't describe them, and it was different than her feelings Gale. She grew to trust Gale out of survival, and she did not trust anyone else. She wouldn't let anyone get close to her, except Prim, because people always left her. (Her mother and father). She was always questioning everyone's ulterior motives. She thought Peeta was acting, and using his love for her was an act to gain favor with the crowd.

Re: Hunger Games? - 05/01/12 01:17 PM

I agree PState. But she grew to actually love him. It was a great series of books. Very complex, especially when you get into the second and third books.

Katniss said she would never marry anyone, not Gale, not anyone because she said she would never make a child have to worry about having to go into the HG.

Re: Hunger Games? - 05/01/12 01:26 PM

I think she grew to love Peeta because he did not have any ulterior motive, he loved her, plain and simple, and I think that was really hard for her to accept at first. Remember how devastated she was in the third book... I don't want to give away spoilers to those who haven't gotten to the second or third books....

I love the series. I am going to start re-reading the second book sometime this week.

Re: Hunger Games? - 05/01/12 01:28 PM

I agree. I'd like to read the first book again. I'll have to see if I can borrow it from my neighbor.

Re: Hunger Games? - 05/01/12 03:52 PM

I saw the movie last week and I just had to go back and re-read the first book.

Re: Hunger Games? - 05/01/12 06:10 PM

::Makes note to call my neighbor, the librarian, to borrow the book again::

wink

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 05:08 PM

Movie comes out on DVD tomorrow!

And I think they are going to start filming the second book next month.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 05:17 PM

I'm super excited about the DVD coming out!!

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 05:54 PM

walmart has a great deal coming out- $27 for the dvd, digital copy, and a pendant. the dvd alone is $20, so the extra $7 for the digital copy and the necklace is good. My daughter is OBSESSED- i just wish it was coming out a month later so i could save it for her birthday. She'll never be able to wait that long. lol
Posted By: PATSGirl74

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 07:00 PM

Super excited for the DVD tomorrow !!! Am almost finished with Mockingjay (yes I started the whole series rather late)- I have not seen the movie yet at all & am looking forward to it. I usually always like the books better but I have high hopes for the film.

The only thing nagging at me is, obv I have pictures if the characters in my head, and I do know who was cast for the most parts BUT I seriously had no idea Lenny Kravitz was Cinna ..... I totally pictured Cinna to look like George Stephanopoulus (from E! Fashion Police) ~ that is gonna be an adjustment (in a good way) for me

Who was cast as Gale? I don't recognize him

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 07:04 PM

I agree, Lenny Kravitz is NOT who I pictured as Cinna - George S. isn't really who I pictured either, but closer, for sure.

Gale is Liam somebody, he is Miley Cyrus' fiance. (DON'T JUDGE ME.)

Have you seen who is President Snow? He is perfect perfect perfect. Also Caesar Flickerman is beautifully cast.
Posted By: Dazed Auditor

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 07:26 PM

(Judging EGB). The actor that plays Gale is the brother of the guy that plays Thor in The Avengers. They are an attractive family.

I am getting the DVD this weekend.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Dazed Auditor
(Judging EGB). The actor that plays Gale is the brother of the guy that plays Thor in The Avengers. They are an attractive family.

Liam Hemsworth plays Gale.
Chris Hemsworth plays Thor, as well as the dad in the 2009 remake of Star Trek.

Both are extremly yummy. smile

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 08:02 PM

I still think the guy who plays Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) is cuter than Liam Hemsworth. Although I liked Peeta better than Gale in the books so I may be pre-disposed.
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 08:29 PM

I liked Gale better - but I think both parts were well cast. I think they nailed it on most every character. I thought Cinna was especially well cast. I don't know that Lennie Kravitz is how I had him pictured, but he just fits so well, I got on board with it really fast.

I didn't have Woodie Harrelson in mind either - but he fits the character well too.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 08:44 PM

Haymitch should have been drunker in the movie.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 08:46 PM

Chris Hemsworth also played the Huntsman in that Snowwhite movie. Grrr.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 08:52 PM

Liam Hemsworth plays Gale.
Chris Hemsworth plays Thor, as well as the dad in the 2009 remake of Star Trek.

Both are extremely yummy. smile

Liam is also in the upcoming Expendables 2, which I totally think they picked the wrong brother. Chris is freaking gorgeous. (only a teeny tiny celebrity crush going on. Teeny Tiny as in MASSIVE lol :))

And there is a 3rd brother, who is an actor in Australia, and not anywhere close to as cute.

Haymitch should have been drunker in the movie.
agreed. I thought he sobered up awful fast.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 09:00 PM

I agree. Liam is a baby. Chris is a man. Did you see him without a shirt in Perfect Getaway?

Every set has a dud. You know, like the sets of Christmas wrapping paper that always has one ugly roll?

And Haymitch did not fall into a puddle of his own vomit. Where's the fun in that?

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/13/12 10:07 PM

im curious to see if they have some deleted scenes on the dvd. after all the pg 13 rating controversy and how it wouldnt compare to how gruesome the book read

and for those who were saying they havent read the books yet, please do take the time... they are an excellent read for all age groups

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/14/12 12:46 PM

And Haymitch did not fall into a puddle of his own vomit. Where's the fun in that?

I know, right?! laugh

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 01:30 PM

Ahhhh - I know who he is (the one playing Gale)... I think that should be a good fit. I also think Taylor Kitsch (however you spell it) he wasin Friday Night Lights (the show) and was Gambit in the XMen Wolverine movie would have made a good Gale.

BTW - I finally finished the final book last night ...... Not to spoil anything for those that may not have read all three but I must say I did not see that coming for Finnick (one of the only parts I hated)

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 02:42 PM

It will be VERY interesting how they
Click to reveal..
are going to bring the past champions into the second movie and the story line of the s abuse they received at the hands of the game makers. I'm also interested to see who they will get to play Finnick because, as with all the characters, my mind has a pretty good picture of what he should look like. smile

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 02:57 PM

The DVD doesn't actually come out until this weekend. frown I hate when they don't release movies on Tuesdays!

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 03:09 PM

Gah!!! I was so looking forward to picking up the DVD yesterday after work.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Sci_Comply
It will be VERY interesting how they
Click to reveal..
are going to bring the past champions into the second movie and the story line of the s abuse they received at the hands of the game makers. I'm also interested to see who they will get to play Finnick because, as with all the characters, my mind has a pretty good picture of what he should look like. smile

This was in the news recently on the casting of Finnick .... maybe the press picture doesn't do him justice, right now he is not 100% my version of Finnick but the casting will work wonders with hair & make-up http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/364144/20120717/sam-claflin-finnick-odair-hunger-games-catching.htm

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 03:21 PM

Sci-Comply I also was wondering the same thing on Catching Fire .... wonder if the movie rating will need to be moved up to R for content? If they play it down(particularly Finnick's revelations)it would surely take away from the rest of the plot

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 03:41 PM

PATS, that actor is more of how I envisioned Finnick. A coworker was hoping Kellan Lutz would be cast in that roll.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 03:53 PM

KELLAN LUTZ?!?!? No way! That actor (Sam Claflin) is really close to what I had envisioned. We'll see once the costume and make-up effects people do their magic. smile I also agree with you PATS, it would really take away from the plot lines.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 05:40 PM

He looks nothing like I had pictured - I was thinking he should be older.

Re: Hunger Games? - 08/15/12 07:14 PM

I think the actor they chose will be a good choice.

What's Shakin' Bacon - I can see your co-worker going with Kellen Lutz based on body size. I picture Finnick muscular and this guy appears by the pic a bit smaller than i thought bu he could be "bulkier" by filming. Either way can't wait for the films