Fisker Karma

Posted By: HappyGilmore

Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 01:02 PM

For those who are not aware, the Fisker Karma is a fully electric car, a 400 HP high-end expensive vehicle, that no ordinary person could hope to afford. I saw one on my drive home the other day, and after reading online about it, was surprised to learn that the company has been awarded a grant from the department of energy for $168,000,000, with an opportunity for an additional $400,000,000 in the next 2 years to produce these all-electric vehicles...

Doesn't sound like a prudent investment of tax dollars, unless, of course, some of that grant money goes towards giving me one of these cars. Then, I'd be okay with it...
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 01:05 PM

As it is an American Company I would think it is about creating jobs in the US but it is manufactured in Finland.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 01:16 PM

I thought Fisker made scissors? smile

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 01:51 PM

like you have any use for scissors... smile

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 01:55 PM

Fisker has been in the transportaion industry for years. They make the Fisker Price big wheel that a certain BOLer has been driving for years. It also appears that the battery they are working on will have the same range.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 02:23 PM

Is this the same as a Karman-Ghia?

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 02:27 PM

Do you see anything in this post about Volkswagen? Sheesh...

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 02:39 PM

Don't they spreken zie Deutch in Finland?

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 02:47 PM

Finnish is the official langauge
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 03:29 PM

Happy, so that extra hour of drive time, did his batteries last?

I know very little about electric cars, but seems that NOLA traffic issues could be a pretty nerve-wracking issue if you were needing a charge.

But you're right, very nice looking car.
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SoccerMomQueen

I know very little about electric cars, but seems that NOLA traffic issues could be a pretty nerve-wracking issue if you were needing a charge.

The Karma also has a small gas engine in it, so it shouldn't have been a problem.

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 03:50 PM

EPA says only 32 miles on a charge...Fisker says up to 50 miles on electric...tota of 230 mile range with electric and gas (i didn't realize it has a gas engine at all).

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 04:02 PM

so how many years do you have to drive this Karma to break even?

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bimmer

The Karma also has a small gas engine in it, so it shouldn't have been a problem.

Since you are the new expert as Happy did not know about the gas engine. Does it have an iPad port? smirk

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 04:06 PM

Wouldn't you feel good about now, in the 4th day without power around DC, if you are driving a Volt or other all electric car?

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit

Since you are the new expert as Happy did not know about the gas engine. Does it have an iPad port? smirk

Yes, it does.

hybrid engine
Direct drive transmission
Navigation System
Bluetooth
iPod input
Satellite radio
Side/Curtain Airbags

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 04:19 PM

If you have driven around the DC area (and tried to park)you may be happy not to be able to drive.

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 04:21 PM

Yes, it does.

hybrid engine
Direct drive transmission
Navigation System
Bluetooth
iPod input
Satellite radio
Side/Curtain Airbags

Well that settles it for me as I have an android tablet (and do not wish to downgrade to an iPad)I will not be purchasing the car.

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 04:35 PM

Well that settles it for me as I have an android tablet (and do not wish to downgrade to an iPad)I will not be purchasing the car.

No worries Ed, it also has Bluetooth, so you can stream audio from your Android device wirelessly and you won't have to downgrade to one of those awful Apple devices!

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 05:05 PM

Can you use the Jitterbug in it Bim?

Re: Fisker Karma - 07/02/12 05:13 PM

at $102,000 for the base model, chances are you never recoup your investment...