Chick-fil-a day?

Posted By: HappyGilmore

Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 01:53 PM

So tomorrow is the vaunted chick-fil-a day where people are supposed to go out to support chick-fil-a for the statement the owner made about gay marriage. One of the girls at the coffee shop i frequent also works at chick-fil-a. She said they have 35 employees scheduled to work from 11-2 tomorrow, but ever since the news came out a couple of weeks back, they have been swamped for lunch, with people starting to line up daily 30 minutes before they open. Chick-fil-a looks like they will have their best quarter ever in sales and profit.

Then i heard on the news this morning that a bakery in Mississippi said they would not make a cake for a gay couple's union (not sure if MS. considers it a marriage). It made me wonder if the owners did this with the thought of "well, if chick-fil-a is getting all the free press and record sales, maybe it will work for us."

We live in interesting times, don't we?
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 01:59 PM

My son's GF works for Chic-fil-a. They are having the day you mention, but on Friday it's the opposition that is to be there. She's quite worried some lunatic could join the 'protest'. I don't blame her for being worried with all the crazies out there these days. crazy
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:01 PM

love the waffle fries and vanilla shakes...
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:09 PM

I live in the same town as the founder and CEO of Chick-fil-a (Truett Cathy) He will be at our local store tomorrow, so I'm going to go out and have a chicken sandwich with him.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:15 PM

When you say "support Chick for the statement the owner made", which statement is that?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:27 PM

^^^^^^^^
Chick smile

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:33 PM

the one that is getting all the press...good, bad, and incorrect
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:47 PM

We don't have one here.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:54 PM

the ones close to us are sort of out of the way for me to get to, and i'm only a fan of their peppermint chocolate shake, and it is out of season, so no trip for me tomorrow...besides, no food is worth an hour wait, much less 2-3...

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:55 PM

I'm not a fan of chick-fil-a. I prefer Zaxby's. wink

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: manimal
When you say "support Chick for the statement the owner made", which statement is that?

Chick-fil-A President and Chief Operating Officer Dan Cathy, recently told Baptist Press that Chick-fil-A is "very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit."

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 02:56 PM

This is why they're closed on Sunday's..which I think is nice.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:01 PM

Agreed, I do remember when no businesses were open on Sundays - we didn't die from lack of shopping. We simply planned ahead.

I'm not sure its so much in support of his comment as in support of his right to say what he believes since there are two cities now trying to ban franchisees from opening in their town because of this comment made by the owner of a business about his personal beliefs.

Love me some chick-fil-a, usually eat there on payday but will hold off until tomorrow.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:04 PM

Walden...don't you also remember the streets in the smaller towns rolling down their shades on Wednesday afternoon too?

Our old branch in Adel did...how nice would THAT be!
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:04 PM

The only Chick-fil-a store that I know of in our area is in a shopping mall in Bergen County, which still has blue laws requiring the stores to be closed on Sundays (which, BTW, doesn't seem to hurt sales that much; know what Zip code in the US has the highest annual amount of retail sales? 07652, Paramus, NJ, in Bergen County).

I know of a number of people who are planning on being at Chick-fil-a tomorrow. I would go too, but I have a prior engagement.
Posted By: A_G

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:07 PM

I don't eat there because they treat their chickens poorly.

Oh wait - that's KFC! eek smirk

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:09 PM

Texas had blue laws back in the 80's... you had to plan ahead if you wanted beer and wine to make it through the weekend...

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:10 PM

Wall's is another store that isn't open on Sundays.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:11 PM

Joker, Wednesday afternoon or Thursday afternoon. Found out why when I worked in Alabama. Those were the days the circuit court judge came to town and when they had the public hangings. All stores closed those afternoons for the hangings - and it just remained that way until recently.
Posted By: B_F

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: waldensouth
Agreed, I do remember when no businesses were open on Sundays - we didn't die from lack of shopping. We simply planned ahead.

I'm not sure its so much in support of his comment as in support of his right to say what he believes since there are two cities now trying to ban franchisees from opening in their town because of this comment made by the owner of a business about his personal beliefs.

Love me some chick-fil-a, usually eat there on payday but will hold off until tomorrow.

Furthermore, the owner has stated that it is not a civil issue, but a moral issue. He supports Biblical lifestyles, which includes embracing sinners, and has never banned anyone from working for him, nor eating in his establishment for any sin, from murder to homosexuality. He has, however, stood out and said that husbands and wives should take marriage seriously, and treat it as the forever, holy relationship that God intended between a man and his wife. Good for him. He hasn't said anything hateful towards anyone, he's simply said what he believes. Saying you believe strongly that apples are the best fruit doesn't mean that you somehow hate oranges, yet it seems the the LBGT community takes ANY pro-hetero speech as hateful to themselves.

For a city to try to keep a company from doing business because of an owners high moral standards is absurd, and un-American.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:13 PM

Thanks for the clarification Happy and Bimmer.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:14 PM

Here, public schools and the local Kids Inc. activities center do not schedule activities on Wednesday nights. That's reserved for church activities.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:16 PM

It is also illegal B_F
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr A_G-DDD
I don't eat there because they treat their chickens poorly.

KFC does not use real chickens. eek

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:20 PM

I saw it on 20/20.
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:23 PM

they use fake chickens?

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:28 PM

They use rubber chickens. smirk
Posted By: Jafo

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:29 PM

To go with rubber biscuits

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:29 PM

Joker, Wednesday afternoon or Thursday afternoon. Found out why when I worked in Alabama. Those were the days the circuit court judge came to town and when they had the public hangings. All stores closed those afternoons for the hangings - and it just remained that way until recently.

Very interesting! laugh

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
They use rubber chickens. smirk

laugh!!!

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:30 PM

maybe we should bring back wednesday and thursday afternoon hangings...might resolve some of teh issues we have...

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:31 PM

laugh

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:32 PM

Point.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: B_F

Furthermore, the owner has stated that it is not a civil issue, but a moral issue. He supports Biblical lifestyles, which includes embracing sinners, and has never banned anyone from working for him, nor eating in his establishment for any sin, from murder to homosexuality. He has, however, stood out and said that husbands and wives should take marriage seriously, and treat it as the forever, holy relationship that God intended between a man and his wife. Good for him. He hasn't said anything hateful towards anyone, he's simply said what he believes. Saying you believe strongly that apples are the best fruit doesn't mean that you somehow hate oranges, yet it seems the the LBGT community takes ANY pro-hetero speech as hateful to themselves.

For a city to try to keep a company from doing business because of an owners high moral standards is absurd, and un-American.

You should see the cruel and unusual punishment he inflicted on the vandals who did $30,000 worth of damage to his house!

Quote:
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. — Chick-fil-A restaurant founder S. Truett Cathy has decided two girls accused of causing $30,000 in damage to his home should be punished with a writing assignment instead of charges.

In a deal Cathy worked out with their parents, the girls, must write "I will not vandalize other people's property" 1,000 times. They're also banned from watching TV and playing video games and must read a good book.

"I tried to be lenient with them, but wanted to punish them," Cathy told the newspaper. "I wanted to show them there was a better way than the way they were going."
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 03:51 PM

Just be cautious this doesn't turn into a discussion on religion. It hasn't gotten there yet, but I'm throwing in my $.02.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 04:50 PM

I've never eaten at a Chick-fil-a. They are always closed when I'm on that side of town (which is where I get dim sum). While I don't agree with his statement, I support his right to say how he feels. It doesn't necessarily impact whether or not I'll eat there.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:04 PM

Thanks Andy, I intentionally kept religion out of the original post and everyone else has done the same. If someone adds it in, it is only to get your attention and kill the thread.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:07 PM

::stares at AG::

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:20 PM

::looks around for AG::
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:21 PM

He is outside at recess.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:22 PM

laugh

he better not get into a fight again
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:24 PM

:puts on teacher glasses and gets ruler:
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:28 PM

:stands at attention: Yes Ms. Deek! eek

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Jay
::stares at AG::

Hey - I wasn't the one who mentioned "God" smirk

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:33 PM

I don't eat there because they treat their chickens poorly...which goes against what's written in The Bible

looks like somebody isn't tellin' the truth smirk

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:34 PM

AG, swear on a bible?

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Miscuit
I don't eat there because they treat their chickens poorly...which goes against what's written in The Bible God

looks like somebody isn't tellin' the truth smirk

whistle

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:35 PM

I'll take an affirmation. whistle

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:35 PM

I'll take a fifththe Fifth. smile

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:37 PM

Under advice from counsel, I invoke my 5th Amendment Right against self-incrimination.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:38 PM

Did you check state law, too?

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
I'll take a fifththe Fifth of tanq. smile

Fixed

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:42 PM

Isn't the 5th Amendment Federal? crazy

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:50 PM

who knows? do we even pay attention to those any more? smirk

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 05:59 PM

who knows? do we even pay attention to those any more? if it is yellow or goldenrod smirk

Fixed

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:02 PM

Did you check state law, too?

One word: Ombudsman.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:05 PM

Another word: missive.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:09 PM

My poor thread...

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:10 PM

were you the originator of this thread?

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:24 PM

Apparently, you were Miscuit.

crazy

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BaconBoy

Apparently, you were Miscuit.

crazy

I did not know she was a parent. smile

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:26 PM

i was?

cool! cool

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
My poor waffle fries

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:29 PM

laugh

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: KFC
Those poor "chickens" we mistreat.

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:34 PM

treating chickens humanely or not, they still end up dead and fried...i just don't get it...
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:35 PM

This gets me all choked up.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:36 PM

I didn't know chickens were human confused

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:38 PM

confused
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: Chick-fil-a day? - 07/31/12 06:43 PM