Vintage Rolex...any advice?

Posted By: Dip

Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:05 PM

Pretty serious about getting the fiancé a vintage Rolex as a wedding gift. Any of you own one or have any advice?

I did go to a certified Rolex watchmaker and asked for advice and he steered me to a dealer he trusts. That guy had a 70s perpetual date but after reading into these more I think I want the dateJUST. The fiancé won't wear it every day so I think the datejust would be easier to set to the correct date.

Any tips and thoughts are appreciated. Also interested in hearing stories about any work that's ha to be done on one.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:09 PM

do not buy on craigslist

That said

Real Rolex will weigh a ton and will not have a quartz movement.

The back of the case will say Rolex and a bunch of other stuff and the part that you set the time with will have a crown on it.
Posted By: A_G

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:09 PM

How about an un-vintage Rolex?
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:10 PM

AG has a Polex he will let go for short money.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:11 PM

I thought it was a Timex, sox?
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:11 PM

Quote:
Don't give a watch as a gift, or the relationship will stop

source....

http://onolympus.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gend&action=print&thread=663
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:12 PM

The perpetual movment is very difficult to fake. Go with a trusted dealer and spend some time looking closely at known examples. You ewill see the quality of the workmanship. Many of the older ones have also had face changes and things of that nature. If the wrong face was placed on one, it has a pretty serious effect on the value. Know what year and model you are looking and what its supposed to have.
Posted By: A_G

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
The perpetual movment is very difficult to fake.

That's what she said! laugh

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
I thought it was a Tomex, sox?

Fixed smile
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Originally Posted By: Mr A_G-DDD
The perpetual movment is very difficult to fake.

That's what she said! laugh

BAZINGA! laugh
Posted By: HappyGilmore

be ready to spend some serious cash for something he won't wear daily, and if it breaks, very expensive to repair...most rolex's are automatic (wind by movement of arm) so if he isn't wearing daily, by a watch box that moves it to keep it running, more problems occur from them sitting idle...

Many years ago when I was a teenager, my mom worked for a sports company that gave all employees a his-n-her rolex set, she was single and gave the rolex to me (i was 14, what did i know about a nice watch then). I got it wet and the cost to repair it was going to be close to what the watch was worth, so just be aware...

of course, for the same you'd spend on a vintage one, you could buy many name brands that are just as nice but new. I've bought a couple from www.authenticwatches.com. No retail markup, so you save between 20-40% over retail, and they also have sales that can save even more. Carry every major name brand - I love the Oris I bought, for less than 50% of retail.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:14 PM

The perpetual movment is very difficult to fake. Go with a trusted dealer and spend some time looking closely at known examples. You ewill see the quality of the workmanship. Many of the older ones have also had face changes and things of that nature. If the wrong face was placed on one, it has a pretty serious effect on the value. Know what year and model you are looking and what its supposed to have.

You watched Pawn Stars last night, didn't you...
Posted By: B_F

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
be ready to spend some serious cash for something he won't wear daily, and if it breaks, very expensive to repair...most rolex's are automatic (wind by movement of arm) so if he isn't wearing daily, by a watch box that moves it to keep it running, more problems occur from them sitting idle...

Many years ago when I was a teenager, my mom worked for a sports company that gave all employees a his-n-her rolex set, she was single and gave the rolex to me (i was 14, what did i know about a nice watch then). I got it wet and the cost to repair it was going to be close to what the watch was worth, so just be aware...

of course, for the same you'd spend on a vintage one, you could buy many name brands that are just as nice but new. I've bought a couple from www.authenticwatches.com. No retail markup, so you save between 20-40% over retail, and they also have sales that can save even more. Carry every major name brand - I love the Oris I bought, for less than 50% of retail.

I'm with Happy here. If he's not going to wear it daily, it isn't worth buying. You are better off with a $25 Casio because it will tell time just as well if not better. There are a lot better things you can buy for him for $5,000.

*EDIT* All of this is moot if he told you he'd always wanted a Rolex but couldn't afford it. (Not so if he said he always wanted one but would never spend the money for one)
Posted By: ComplyForNow

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:28 PM

Go to a certified Rolex dealer - when I purchased mine the dealer had it on consignment from an estate. During the purchase process - he called Rolex and we verified the watch as authentic and verified the original sale date plus the number on the back. I have owned it for about 12 years - had it in for a cleaning a couple times - nothing else. Mine is gold and stainless steel, gold face, gold trim around the face. Saved $3000 off of retail - for the estate sale. I would recommend buying an automatic winding machine (not expensive) since you are not planning on wearing it every day. Re-setting the time and date can get old - real fast. Good Luck.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 02:43 PM

A Rolex is not a good reliable timepiece. It is a piece of jewelry that secondarily acts as a timepiece.

ComplyForNow is the exception to the rule, in my opinion, you will be surprised how often you will have this in the shop for repairs.

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 04:50 PM

The fiancé has, in the past, mentioned wanting a vintage Rolex. He's into mechanical things and the workings of a Rolex intrigue him I guess. It's not about getting him a watch. It's not about just getting him a Rolex. It's about getting him a piece of vintage machinery.

I actually did post a want ad on clist and got a hit. The piece looks legit from the photos but the face has some spots from aging. I need to call the guy for some details.

And perhaps he will wet it everyday. Who knows.

I have been researching them and got all the tips on telling if fake or not. I also have a listing of serial numbers and years produced. I'll see if I can find another dealer in town. But the one I went to was the only one the watchmaker said he trusted.

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 04:52 PM

I meant wear it, not wet it. iPhone problems.

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 04:56 PM

You could get him a real on and a fake one and he can wear the fake as a everyday. The fakes keep good time.

You can also tell him you got the fake for the real price and "watch" the blood pressure go up.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 05:03 PM

He is already getting the undying and unconditional love and devotion of the woman who means the world to him, why in the world does he need a vintage Rolex too?

<--- Has a Citizen™ Echo-drive™ that keeps perfect time. No hope of ever owning a Rolex, vintage or otherwise.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 05:04 PM

I have a Rollex for sale, cheap.

I also have various Nikey shoes and Couch handbags.

PM me and I'll set you up.
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers
Couch handbags.

laugh
Posted By: manimal

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 05:09 PM

I think it's a cool idea to do a gift like this, it's so personal and something he would never buy for himself, even though it may be somewhat hard to execute. That being said, I think you're on the right track Dip with speaking to a watchmaker/dealer. If you decide to meet the person from Craigslist, I'd recommend meeting at the watchmaker/dealer so it can be examined/appraised by a professional on the spot. If the seller is for real, they shouldn't mind.

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 05:55 PM

the thing about this is that if you are going to buy it, better make sure he likes it ahead of time...nothing worse than buying a stainless model and he wanted gold, or vice versa...which is why i don;t buy my wife jewelry, she buys it herself or when i'm with her...and she doesn't buy clothes or bikes for me...

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 06:00 PM

the thing about this is that if you are going to buy it, better make sure he likes it ahead of time...nothing worse than buying a stainless model and he wanted gold, or vice versa...which is why i don;t buy my wife jewelry, she buys it herself or when i'm with her...and she doesn't buy clothes for me...

That was obvious... whistle laugh

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 06:31 PM

ouch...i thought i was very fashionable in my van heusen shirt, sans-a-belt walking shorts, brown rockports, and black crew socks...plus, i heard that black crew socks are coming back in style, so i was like cutting edge before anyone else knew i was cutting edge...
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 06:47 PM

I saw a young man in his 20's wearing sandels and black socks yesterday in our lobby. I inwardly cringed.

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: thomasj
He is already getting the undying and unconditional love and devotion of the woman who means the world to him, why in the world does he need a vintage Rolex too?

<--- Has a Citizen™ Echo-drive™ that keeps perfect time. No hope of ever owning a Rolex, vintage or otherwise.

You know that motorcycle he bought me? Apparently that was my weddin gift!!! Kinda upped the anty on what to get him grin

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Dip

You know that motorcycle he bought me? Apparently that was my weddin gift!!! Kinda upped the anty on what to get him grin
Uh, I hate to tell you this, but you can go to Victoria's Secret and get him a wedding gift for less than $100 and he'd be happy! smile

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 08:47 PM

BF are you getting married on September 28, 2012?

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: B_F

Uh, I hate to tell you this, but you can go to Victoria's Secret and get him a wedding gift for less than $100 and he'd be happy! smile

how do you know he wears victorias secret underwear?

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 09:09 PM

See my post above shocked laugh

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 09:14 PM

if you're going into marriage with a "one-upsmanship" mentality, you're going about it all wrong...you need to set a limit for what is reasonable...get his expectations in line...don't get him anything but tell him he can ride the "used" dirtbike he bought you whenever he likes...maybe a nice drill or skilsaw, but nothing more than that...
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/07/12 10:02 PM

how much horse power?

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/08/12 10:13 AM

laugh

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/08/12 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit

No, why?

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/08/12 01:00 PM

lol

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/08/12 01:03 PM

No, why?

Just checking there was a lot of my "BF" in certain posts a while back. smile

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/08/12 02:04 PM

No, why?

Just checking there was a lot of my "BF" in certain posts a while back. smile

LOL! Nope, we're getting married in the same season, but not to each other smile

I am NOT marrying a BOLer or anyone in the banking/finance industry. I am marrying a scientist! (Not a rocket scientist, but smart enough)

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/08/12 02:39 PM

Quote:
I am marrying a scientist! (Not a rocket scientist, but smart enough)

based on her choice, you may wish to retract that last statement... shocked grin
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
A Rolex is not a good reliable timepiece. It is a piece of jewelry that secondarily acts as a timepiece.

ComplyForNow is the exception to the rule, in my opinion, you will be surprised how often you will have this in the shop for repairs.

This is absolutely correct. My Rolex Daytona is absolutely terrible at keeping time! After only 3 years of owning it (bought it brand new) it started gaining almost 20 minutes a day! Sent it in to Rolex. They fixed it for $1,500! Another 3 years later, started losing 5 minutes a day! It's now back in the Rolex repair shop. Will probably have another $1,500 repair bill.

Maybe I just too demanding, but I expect better performance out of a watch that cost so much!
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:16 PM

<<<<Has had the same Gucci watch since 1987. Loves my 9000L so much. (would insert a heart here if I knew how.)
Posted By: Loralie

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
<<<<Has had the same Gucci watch since 1987. Loves my 9000L so much. (would insert a heart here if I knew how.)♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

fixed. smile

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:32 PM

cry

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:36 PM

since you are heading to Vegas soon for a last minute fling with any available guy bachelorette party, might I suggest you stop buy the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop and look at their vintage Rolex's...

seriously, pawn shops often have high end watches that you can buy for much less than retail...

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:39 PM

Okie... it's code. just type

& hearts ;

but all connected.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:40 PM

<3
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:41 PM

Posted By: Bob The Banker

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
<3

What is less than 3?
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:45 PM

Lazy woman's heart. smirk

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:45 PM

&hearts

NAILED IT!

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:47 PM

laugh Thanks!

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:48 PM

LOL @ Okie!

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
LOL @ Okie!

It's the little things in life. ♥
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
<3

What is less than 3?

A rescission error. laugh

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 03:19 PM

♥ parade!

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/10/12 03:44 PM

lol- glad i could help!

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/20/12 04:16 PM

do not buy on craigslist

That said

Real Rolex will weigh a ton and will not have a quartz movement.

The back of the case will say Rolex and a bunch of other stuff and the part that you set the time with will have a crown on it.

So, so wrong. Rolex did make a few quartz watches. Also, Rolex case backs are unmarked. No engravings at all.

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/20/12 04:19 PM

blurtit.com has an excellent article on how to spot a fake rolex...

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/20/12 04:31 PM

http://www.melrose.com/rolex-oysterquartz.htm

It apears that they made one line

Professionals use four main verification methods to tell a fake from a 'genuine' Rolex. These methods include checking the serial number, model number, case back ID, and Movement Signature. In essence, look between its bottom lugs (part where the band connects to case), top lugs and opening the case back. This is the most efficient way to distinguish between a 'genuine' and fake Rolex.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_gu...lica_rolex.html

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/21/12 03:07 PM

Trust me, I did my research wink

I spills the beans to the fiancé last night since I decided not to get the Rolex. We actually had a fun conversation all about them and watches in general--he was super impressed and totally flattered with what I went through. I also told him hy I decided not to get it (but maybe sometime in the future).

He was looking up the Cutizen eco-drive last night...but then he's never heard of Ball... He was intrigued when I mentioned "some brand I can't remember" has gas filled luminescent tubes. That belongs to Ball...which I am 95% certain I am getting him.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Vintage Rolex...any advice? - 08/21/12 04:11 PM

good job Dip, Mr. Dip is a fortunate man indeed!