I'm so proud of my son!

Posted By: Skittles

I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 11:45 AM

My son got his undergraduate degree in biology in 2009. He kind of worked for a couple of years (and mama helped support him some) trying to figure out what he wanted to do with it. He finally decided he wanted to be a high school biology teacher - he loves 'sharing' knowledge. He started a graduate program at Bellermine College in Louisville to learn how to teach and should be finished December 2013.

In July he took a Praxis test to determine his level of biology knowledge to verify he knows enough to teach the subject. Not only did he pass he received a certificate - he was in the top 15% of the test takers for the nation.

He was put in the All Cert (spelling - I'm not sure) program at Bellermine. If a school contacted them and said they had a need for a high school biology teacher - they would recommend him. He got a call the next day.

Yesterday he accepted the job and will start soon. This may only be for one year; however he's still in his masters program and knows this will be an excellent addition on his resume. The teacher he is replacing had to go out on medical leave. Basically if she wants her job back next year it's hers.

While this seems to have been a long time coming (he's 25 now), I'm still very proud of him. He's nervous, though. He was a Youth Pastor at his church for 6 years and a substitute teacher for two years; however he's never had to 'create' lesson plans, etc.

First round (and maybe 2nd and 3rd) at the bar today is on me, guys!
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 11:49 AM

You should be a proud mamma!!! Yay for him and you! grin
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 11:52 AM

Yay for sonny!
Posted By: NotPerfect

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 12:30 PM

That's awesome! Congrats to him.
Posted By: Summer Nights

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 12:31 PM

Good for him. Here is to hearing more success stories for our college graduates!! My son graduated from UW Milwaukee and wants to teach High School history...but right now is having a hard time finding a teaching job, so he is at a Kindercare with a room full of 3 year olds until he can get into a school.

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 12:34 PM

Summer - I hope he still wants to teach after that.

Another round on me at the bar!
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 12:38 PM

Congrats to all!
Posted By: B_F

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles
My son got his undergraduate degree in biology in 2009. He kind of worked for a couple of years (and mama helped support him some) trying to figure out what he wanted to do with it. He finally decided he wanted to be a high school biology teacher - he loves 'sharing' knowledge. He started a graduate program at Bellermine College in Louisville to learn how to teach and should be finished December 2013.

In July he took a Praxis test to determine his level of biology knowledge to verify he knows enough to teach the subject. Not only did he pass he received a certificate - he was in the top 15% of the test takers for the nation.

He was put in the All Cert (spelling - I'm not sure) program at Bellermine. If a school contacted them and said they had a need for a high school biology teacher - they would recommend him. He got a call the next day.

Yesterday he accepted the job and will start soon. This may only be for one year; however he's still in his masters program and knows this will be an excellent addition on his resume. The teacher he is replacing had to go out on medical leave. Basically if she wants her job back next year it's hers.

While this seems to have been a long time coming (he's 25 now), I'm still very proud of him. He's nervous, though. He was a Youth Pastor at his church for 6 years and a substitute teacher for two years; however he's never had to 'create' lesson plans, etc.

First round (and maybe 2nd and 3rd) at the bar today is on me, guys!

The good news is, he should have some help from the teacher that went on medical leave for making lesson plans. Said teacher likely has them from prior years, and for continuity will provide them so he is better able to jump right in on short notice.... at least we can hope! smile
Posted By: manimal

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 12:45 PM

Woo Hoo! Great news! Congratulations!
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 01:33 PM

This country is so in need of good teachers Duchess! Salute and congrats.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 01:33 PM

Congratulations to him, that's great! If nothing else, a year of experience will be a great asset to him. He'll have practical experience to add to all that technical knowledge.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 01:35 PM

Congratulations to you and your son DS! That is awesome.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 01:41 PM

Congrats to him Skittles. I hear that good science teachers are hard to find. So, if he does well this first year, he should be in good shape.

Summer, your son's willingness to take on the Kindercare job shows his commitment to teaching. It should help him with his job search.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 02:15 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 02:27 PM

That is so wonderful, Skittles! It's great that he took his time deciding what he really wanted to do with his life. I'm sure he will be successful and make a difference in a young adults life. smile
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 02:29 PM

Teachers are becoming scarce. We had several positions that couldn't be filled here locally. Some of the Pre-K classes have 25-26 kids. That's a lot of 4 yr olds in one room. At least they get an aide. My daughter has 23 in her Kindergarten class. She has found several websites that help. Don't know if it is only for elementary, but he might check. There is one that is called something like Teachers Helping Teachers where you can purchase materials and ideas from other teachers. Really comes in handy with little ones. I think she said she spent $1500 just on materials and supplies to get her classroom ready this year and it isn't her first year of teaching. She spent weeks cutting out, laminating, decorating, etc. Teachers deserve a lot more credit than they get for the pay they receive. Kudos to your son!
Posted By: Beagles22

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 03:40 PM

That is WONDERFUL news Skittles :-) Congrats to him and the happy mom!!
Posted By: califgirl

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 04:00 PM

Congrats to him, Skittles! My HS biology teacher was an incredibly great teacher. He taught us at what I think was college level and I loved it. I 'almost' was a bio major because of him, but then I took an accounting class, and, well, here I am. smile
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 04:04 PM

Congrats for your son, Skittles! I know he's excited!
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 04:28 PM

Congrats on job well done!
Posted By: *W*W*

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 04:37 PM

Congratulations!! God Bless teachers, especially high school teachers!
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 05:08 PM

Congratulations! Terrific news. Good luck to him. smile
Posted By: CheshireAliCat

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 08/31/12 05:49 PM

Such great news! COngratulations. There can never be enough teachers who care enough to be worried...

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 09/04/12 04:45 PM

He starts teaching tomorrow. He spoke with some of the other teachers today and met with the school board. He's feeling much better and ready and raring to go. He said he thinks the other teachers are going to help him when it comes to planning,etc. He's also looking to move back to Southern Indiana from Louisville. It will be a little closer and he won't have to cross one of the bridges in the morning.
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: I'm so proud of my son! - 09/04/12 04:58 PM

How awesome. Sending lots of luck for his first day.