Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming

Posted By: Snow Bunny

Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/28/12 06:39 PM

Have you battened down your hatches and tied down your patio furniture? And if you're in western PA/NY/etc, gotten your snow blower ready?

Be safe people and may Sandy treat all of our East Coast peeps very, very well.
Posted By: Ready to Retire

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/28/12 08:33 PM

We are in western PA and as far as I know we are only getting rain. Did I miss something?

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/28/12 10:33 PM

I heard that western PA and NY may get pretty heavy snows.

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/28/12 11:37 PM

Hadn't heard that. Great.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 01:18 PM

Power is already out at my house in MA.....
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 01:26 PM

Stay safe folks. There were some diehard fans at that eagles game yesterday - sitting there in the driving rain and cold..... I suspect more is on the way.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Sunny Bunny

Last night they said some places could get a foot of snow, and snow on trees that still have their leaves will be more fallen branches, more power lines down.

I hope everyone stocked up on food and is ready to hunker down for a while. Be safe.

They were showing empty store shelves along the east coast, but they were puzzled by a run on hair spray and gin in Jersey.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 01:41 PM

::sending warm, dry thoughts to everyone out East:: smile
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 01:49 PM

We never seem to get any good storms anymore in the upper midwest... eastcoasters are getting all the fun ones now. frown

Hoping that all stay safe and sound though!

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 01:59 PM

You're welcome to take Sandy Jay. wink
Posted By: A_G

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 02:03 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/superstorm-bears-down-us-east-coast-residents-flee-130017590.html
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: P*Q
You're welcome to take Sandy Jay. wink

And it isn't even Christmas yet!! You are the bestest!!

laugh
Posted By: dottiec

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 02:39 PM

Eastern PA checking in here- Bank is closing at noon today and possibly tomorrow. Considering Philadelphia Fed is closed- not much work going on. Why is it customers just have to come to the bank in the worst weather? Perhaps it is to get money to go to the liquor store. Can see the liquor store from my office and they have been non-stop all morning.

Hope everyone stays safe, warm and dry!

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 02:48 PM

Here in MA we're closing at one, wish it was earlier, wind is picking up bigtime and there are lots of tree lined streets, should be an interesting ride home. Then I'll head home and watch the news and freak myself out. grin
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 02:59 PM

We never get to close for hurricanes down here. frown

Be safe!
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 03:02 PM

My friends and family in the South Jersey and Atlantic City areas are posting some scary pics on FB!

I hear that a large portion of the AC boardwalk has been destroyed and half of a pier in Ocean City NJ is gone. And the storm is still 200 miles away! eek
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 03:22 PM

If God sent Katrina to wipe out the homosexuals(Decadence Festival) is it safe to assume that God is trying to cleanse the earth of Snookie and the others from Jersey Shore?!

But really - everyone stay safe!

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 03:35 PM

I watched an episode on TWC "It could happen Tomorrow" about a 'cane coming in at NYC...other than it was a Cat 4 (I think) I guess it proves it really can happen!
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 03:38 PM

Then I'll head home and watch the news and freak myself out. grin

Who would have thought The Weather Channel was a horror station? shocked laugh

But seriously, stay safe everyone!

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 03:53 PM

What's freakier than watching TWC during these storms is your power/satellite going out and NOT being able to watch during these storms. eek

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 03:54 PM

Life is going on as usual here in western PA. Sounds like the snow is going to be in central PA in the mountains. We are going to dig our generator out though just in case.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 03:55 PM

I had heard that for Long Island and NYC from a local News Paper and then a "real" weather person said that there was no chance.

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
What's freakier than watching TWC during these storms is your power/satellite going out and NOT being able to watch during these storms. eek
Zactly! Lost cable for a bit this morning but that is back. Power still out and expected to be out for days but we have a generator, bought a ton of gas for it yesterday. Just stepped outside, getting wicked windy and raining.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 04:10 PM

well, i prefer not to watch storm coverage on TV during storms, and get my weather updates from NOAA website...the TV guys are all about making it sound worse than it is...
Posted By: Trees

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 04:17 PM

We're surrounded by large, shallow rooted pines on three sides. One took out my neighbor's house last year. That leaves three sides of potential house wreckers. I will not sleep tonight, especially as I hear the crack boom of trees being blown over the neighborhood. Can't get that sound out of my head. As we are surrounded by mountains the storm last year just circled our area and picked up intensity. Looked like a giant boulder crashed and rolled over the trees. They were down everywhere. Go two blocks and they had no damage at all. never thought I would reside in an area that has to look forward to this type of storm every year....

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 04:21 PM

I hear ya Trees. Here in MA, over the last 2 years, we've had 2 hurricanes, a tornado that ripped multiple towns apart, 14 inches of snow last October 29th and an ice storm in 2007 that crippled us with tree damage and power outages exceeding a week. Also had an earth quake in Maine a few weeks ago that was felt here in MA. New England has had some extreme weather and I for one do not mess with Mother Nature, she seems pretty ticked off these days.
Posted By: A_G

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 04:22 PM

Well isn't she just the voice of reason laugh :

Lindsay Lohan Questions Sandy 'Panic'

snip - Never mind the closed schools, shut down transit systems, and hundreds of thousands of evacuees. Lindsay Lohan wants to know what the big deal is.

"WHY is everyone in SUCH a panic about hurricane (i'm calling it Sally)..?" she tweeted Sunday night. "Stop projecting negativity! Think positive and pray for peace"
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 04:33 PM

She must have a large insurance policy on her mom who lives in the area being evacuated. shocked
Posted By: bOaty

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 04:38 PM

Thinking about those of you who are effected. Hang in there. smile

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 04:53 PM

Be safe everyone. Hope everyone is fine when the sun comes up tomorrow. Sounds like tonight will be the worst for the east coast.

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: doobydoobydoo
If God sent Katrina to wipe out the homosexuals(Decadence Festival) is it safe to assume that God is trying to cleanse the earth of Snookie and the others from Jersey Shore?!

I think it may be to cleanse the earth of AquaNet & cig fumes.

Part of the AC boardwalk has washed away; haven't heard about OC/NJ. But they did say that the ocean and back bay met at OC. eek

Just got home from Philly - a normal 45 minute drive on a good day. Only took 40 minutes on the way in and 50 on the way home. People are definitely off the roads, but we passed our local grocery store and it was packed crazy
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 06:51 PM

Power is already out at my house in MA.....

didn't you JUST get power back from spring, Pammy?
Posted By: arye23

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 07:32 PM

Part of the AC boardwalk has washed away; haven't heard about OC/NJ. But they did say that the ocean and back bay met at OC. eek

Just got home from Philly - a normal 45 minute drive on a good day. Only took 40 minutes on the way in and 50 on the way home. People are definitely off the roads, but we passed our local grocery store and it was packed crazy

Part of the pier at Ocean City is gone...this is going to be a whopper!

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: arye23

Yup - one of the fishing piers. An hour ago, we still had birds at our feeders. Now, they're gone, and it takes a lot for the birds to hunker down.
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 07:48 PM

I don't understand what is "life-saving" about TWC's reporters standing out in the middle of a hurricane and getting blown around, yet we constantly hear that. 1) If you're in the middle of the hurricane, you probably have no electricity to watch TV anyway. 2) Even if you can watch, what vital information are they giving us that they couldn't give from the safety of indoors?

Regardless, hope all of you on the east coast stay safe.
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 07:53 PM

RJ, I think it's more to show peeps how stupid it is to be outside in this kind of storm. laugh
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 07:59 PM

That and i think that's how Cantore and the like get their kicks.....but just be honest...."we're out here because we like this sorta stuff". wink
Posted By: Big Dog

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 08:33 PM

Wind gusts picking up in central Jersey. Bank never opened which was a big suprise. Generator and flashlights ready. I dont think its a matter of if we lose power but when and for how long.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: arye23

mmmm... Whopper...

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/29/12 08:42 PM

Whopper Wednesdays!

smile

Re: Frankenstorm/aka Sandy's Coming - 10/30/12 03:24 AM

The wind and rain are picking up here in western PA. I have the flashlights out and the generator is ready but so far so good.