Black Friday Invades Thursday

Posted By: Mike Baker

Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:02 PM

So what is your take on the retailers' push of Black Friday "sales" into Thursday, Thanksgiving Day? I think that some of the retailers have actually been open on Thanksgiving for a couple of years at least now, but the emphasis really seems to be stronger now. Is there any way to turn the clock back...or is the holiday now "Thanksmas?" [I am reminded of a holiday special when I was in my early teens...among the stars were Sandy Duncan and Bill Bixby, as I recall. In one skit the shopping frenzy had reached the point to which December 25 was called "Commerce Day."]
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:04 PM

I plan on ignoring it all together. I don't care WHEN they have it! grin
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:05 PM

I think it is getting more and more absurd each year. I love Thanksgiving, and you cannot even get to enjoy it anymore.

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:06 PM

Yes you can. IGNORE and eat instead!

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:07 PM

OK. cool
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:20 PM

Last week my unemployed Mrs. gave in and took a seasonal job at Target after being out of work the last 6 months. They're opening at 9 pm on Thanksgiving, staff will be there by 7. She's not happy, and hasn't decided if she'll still be employed there by that point or not. Here's hoping another option pops up before then!

I'd prefer they not be open, but in my previous profession, we were open every day of the year and I ate many holiday meals as leftovers at my desk. It happens, if the demand is there, so good luck stopping it.
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:24 PM

I don't really partake in Black Friday. Locally we only have Wal-Mart so would have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get to a big city with all the retailers. And...I actually get Wednesday off this year. We alternate and every employee gets an extra day so we are half staff on Wednesday and half staff on Friday. I will be working Friday.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:31 PM

As much as I love to shop I don't like crowds and I AM NOT a morning person. Not a situation I am willing to put myself in. Depending on how much wine I consume on Turkey Day I may or may not attempt a Walmart visit that evening.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:32 PM

Only gifts I have to have before Thanksgiving are my Sister and BIL (and of course my ornabuddy). Won't be seeing them for Christmas. the remaining gifts can be purchased at my leisure at local stores or on-line. I will do as much as I can on-line.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:36 PM

and many retailers are already advertising their black Friday specials are in place now...
Posted By: A_G

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 03:58 PM

12?

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 04:05 PM

13?
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 04:07 PM

localism...

shop local...

buy local...

give local...

work local...

support the mom and pop's....

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 04:09 PM

::like::
Posted By: Snow Bunny

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 04:13 PM

Cyber Monday here. We did everything on line last year and it was wonderful. And shipping is free if you order over 25-50 $$$.
Posted By: A_G

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 04:50 PM

I thought this thread was about online poker! laugh
Posted By: manimal

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 04:54 PM

I like the idea of not having to go out at the butt-crack of dawn to participate in the special sales...... but there's no way I'm going out shopping on Thanksgiving. I suppose not everyone celebrates the same way and some may not celebrate it at all.

Please be nice to the people that work at these stores! It's an extremely aggravating day (or days) to be in the retail industry!
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 05:16 PM

haters
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: manimal
butt-crack of dawn

yeah

that doesn't sound like a fun place

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 06:04 PM

bad experience rolling over the next morning?
Posted By: VWgirl21

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 06:21 PM

I will be staying home on Friday and putting the tree up. Most of my gifts will be bought online with free shipping so I don't have to venture into the store.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 06:34 PM

Home on Friday for me, too. Can't imagine getting into that mess. My favorite kind of shopping is on-line.

Unfortunately with <----- the new guy at home we probably won't be putting up a tree this year.

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 07:45 PM

I didn't put one up last year on account of a cat who invaded my house...I still have the cat...so I probably won't bother once again!
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 07:52 PM

make low-hanging ornaments out of mothballs...cats won't go near the tree
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 07:55 PM

I put a tree up but skip the tree skirt. My dog likes to lay under the tree and it's hard to get dog hair off of felt!
Posted By: Bank Angler

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 07:59 PM

Since our house got invaded with dogs, we put our tree up but don't put any ornaments on it.

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 08:06 PM

Now THAT's funny! I have 4 large dogs in the house. If any of them chase the cat...or even if they are asleep and the cat gets a wild hair...he runs like mad all over the house, bouncing off walls, jumping in the air...I just don't trust him not to skid into the tree and send it crashing everywhere!!!

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Now THAT's funny! I have 4 large dogs in the house. If any of them chase the cat...or even if they are asleep and the cat gets a wild hair...he runs like mad all over the house, bouncing off walls, jumping in the air...I just don't trust him not to skid into the tree and send it crashing everywhere!!!

I may have this problem this year with our frenchie puppy. Sometimes she likes to take off running in sporadic circles throughout the house, over the couches and sliding into the walls for no apparent reason other than she just feels like running.

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 08:31 PM

It's GREAT entertainment tho, huh?!?

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 08:34 PM

It is hilarious! You just have to make sure you are not in her path because she has trouble stopping.

Our other frenchie likes to run circles too but he usually does big ones in the back yard.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 08:54 PM

Our young man can't stop when he's running on the wood floor and slides into things. And yes - it's hysterical.

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 08:56 PM

I think they think it's fun...just like a kid in socks! cool

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 08:57 PM

or Tom Cruise in Risky Business
Posted By: Dip

Re: Black Friday Invades Thursday - 11/13/12 10:02 PM

My cat couldnt care less abotu the tree and ornaments, btu he does liek to hide under it and attack the pups from under there. Super funny when I am tryign to get a photo of the pups by the tree...they're all wagging their tails and the cat is doign his best to fluster them laugh